Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BVM F86 80" help! Jack Diaz's please help!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BVM F86 80" help! Jack Diaz's please help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 08:33 PM
sskianpour
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BVM F86 80" help! Jack Diaz's please help!

Hi guys,

I remember Jack Diaz and dad posting ideal throws (especially mild up trim on aileron for washout effect) but I cannot find the thread anywhere. Can anybody point me to that posting or would Jack Diaz Sr or Jr post it again please! I of course have the manual and realize there are throws included in there but I was hoping for he "experts"!!!!!

P.S. I have the fowler flaps

Thanks in advance!

Shaz
Old 12-01-2012, 04:51 AM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: BVM F86 80

http://www.rcjetaddiction.com/forum/...6-80-with-gyro

And

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...m.htm#11290223

[8D]
Old 12-01-2012, 05:55 AM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Shaz,

The ailerons need to have an 1/8" of up in them for the washout. We just test flew mine about a month ago and i don't remember the throws that we set up. The other thing that Jack Diaz Sr said is to make sure to balance it for the C.G with the wings off and everything else in the fuse with the U.A.T full. It should balance right on the main spar slot.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:18 AM
sskianpour

Thanks Greg! Main carbon blade or main aluminum tube for CG balance?
I want to make aure I am crystal clear!
Shaz
Old 12-01-2012, 08:07 AM
Jack Diaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Shaz, I am here

The CG, with the airplane RTF and no wings, should be under the main carbon spar slot at the fuselage.

These are the throws that I use:
Elevators: 1" up and down
Ailerons: 1.25" up and 1" down (measured at the flap edge).
Rudder: 1.5" each side.

Carefully check the "neutral" position of the ailerons (using a straight edge, and viewing from the side). Once satisfied, raise them 1/8".
Note that this could end up being more than 1/8" with respect to the flaps. What happens is that most times the fouler flap mechanism doesn't allow the flap to go fully up (it doesn't matter ... and helps!).
So, if you adjust the ailerons using the flaps as reference, you could end up without the necessary washout. This is Very important.
Without the proper washout (again: 1/8" more than the built in one), the Sabre could be tricky sometimes.

Let me know if you need any other info.

Jack
Old 12-01-2012, 07:06 PM
sskianpour

Ahhh,the cavalry has arrived. Thanks Jack, and everybody else. I am good to go!

Shaz
Old 12-01-2012, 07:18 PM
sskianpour

Wait, Jack...1/8" measured from the fuselage side or the wingtip side of the aileron?

Also, I have about 22-25 degres flap dialed in for takeoff as we are at 5500 feet and "lift" is non-existent up here. Any problem with that???

Thanks!

Shaz
Old 12-01-2012, 07:51 PM
Jack Diaz

Shaz, 1/8" measured at the inboard end.

I also fly at 5000+ feet (density altitude).
There is no problem with take off, and I find landings easier than at lower altitudes (better sink rate). Nose up, full flaps, speed brakes and power

The tendency to stall is another story. Be gentle with the elevator; and in your location, the extra washout is a must !!!
Advise: during maneuvers like loops or reverse cuban 8's, never reduce the power until the nose is pointing down (say 2 o'clock position). It bites if you reduce the power prematurely at your altitude.
You will be reminded if you forget this

Not the subject, but since I mentioned Density Altitude, here is a good D. A. Calculator. Useful also to calculate the power loss due to ambient conditions.

http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_da.htm

http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_hp_dp.htm

Jack
Old 12-01-2012, 07:58 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jack,
This is great input. I'm scribbling down anything I can get my hands on regarding this model as I too am building one currently. Thanks for sharing your experience! The build is going pretty smooth and everything seems to be fitting...and there is a lot to get in there.
Btw, I fly at around 400'.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:30 AM
Tom Antlfinger
My Feedback: (24)

Hi Shaz:

Like Jack says, be careful with slow airspeed, hi-G maneuvers like loop, reverse Cuban, and Split-S.......

I personally never do this with my Sabre, since I have never seen Bob Hoover or Snod do these in their show routines.....just beautiful rolls and some 1/2 loops with roll out to straight and level at the top......if you do get into a low or high speed stall in a Sabre with the swept wing and relatively low rudder authority,especially at low speed, a grave yard spiral or spin is waiting to bite you....

Here is the old classic video of Bob H. just finessing that Sabre like no one else.....I try my best to emulate him, but seldom look as smooth as he does.....

I am thinking about putting a 180RX in mine so I can do those super cool rolls on take-off......my Titan is a little wimpy....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRt6UnNzR6I

TA
Old 12-06-2012, 01:16 PM
Jack Diaz

Hi Tom, good post, but 180RX ????? Be careful. A wimpy Titan is way more than needed !!

When you mentioned the low rudder authority, I remembered another hint:

The "rudder to aileron mix" on the Sabre for knife edges or slow rolls, is opposite to all other airplanes that I have programmed.
I mean: if you apply left rudder during knife edge, the airplane will roll right [X(]. So, the mix has to reduce the aileron deflection (during rolls).

I don't know why this happens, but when you look at how high the rudder is with respect to the wing, it makes sense !!! Rudder applies a torque.
But then, why other airplanes with tall rudders don't do it ?

Expert opinions are welcome

jack
Old 12-06-2012, 04:40 PM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Jack it must have the same aero properties as the old TopFlite Contender. I just got a mini one for playing around with and it does the same thing left rudder gives right rolls, and vice verse. I am so looking forward to building my 80" Sabre.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:45 PM
Tom Antlfinger
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: Jack Diaz

Hi Tom, good post, but 180RX ????? Be careful. A wimpy Titan is way more than needed !!
It just depends on how soon after liftoff that you want to start one of those down and 1/2 dirty Bob Hoover slow rolls....

Tom