Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

CARF Skygate Hawk in the house !

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

CARF Skygate Hawk in the house !

Old 10-09-2017, 11:46 AM
jws_aces
My Feedback: (33)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I forgot about the stop that you are talking about Top.. You can do either the shorter or longer locking grub screw or roatate the stock post that you are talking about that has a cam built on it just for that. That can be adjusted to take up slop in the gear also when fully extended. Good Catch Top!
Old 12-08-2017, 10:33 AM
jws_aces

Default My hawk in the evening using the Soloshot robot camera to film

Hey guys. Got a cool couple of video over the last couple of weeks. I was down in the Miami area and a good friend put together a video of a couple of flights done late in the afternoon into the evening. This has to be my favorite video yet of my Hawk. Thanks to Marvin Alvarez for all the work in making it for me.

Then the following week I picked up one of the new Soloshot 3 robotic cameras. worked pretty good, The camera.. the jet is always a joy to fly.
I filmed it last saturday evening with it. see the youtube below
I was flying at the AMPs field just outside of Miami.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:41 AM
DUCMOZ

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Very cool as always.

Behzad
Old 12-11-2017, 06:29 AM
David Gladwin

Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts

Smoke looks great, which smoke system?
Old 12-11-2017, 06:33 AM
jws_aces

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
Smoke looks great, which smoke system?
I am using the dual outlet powerbox pump. Both tubes dump just behind the nozzle on the turbine.. Have to be very careful during this kind of slow flying with the throttle. Have to shut the smoke off if you go to idle or it will light off when you advance the throttle.. afterburner.. cool but hard on the pipe
Old 12-11-2017, 07:56 AM
David Gladwin

Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by jws_aces
I am using the dual outlet powerbox pump. Both tubes dump just behind the nozzle on the turbine.. Have to be very careful during this kind of slow flying with the throttle. Have to shut the smoke off if you go to idle or it will light off when you advance the throttle.. afterburner.. cool but hard on the pipe

Thank you for that info. I have the single outlet Powerbox pump, though not yet operative.

Interested to to hear about it lighting off at idle, that's what happens on my Airworld Hawk, if I set flow rate so that it does not light at v low power, the smoke output in flight is poor. ( JetCat pump, had some quite loud bangs and sheets of flame! ) With your experience I Will set a mixer to allow smoke only at high throttle settings.

Thanks again.

David.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:01 AM
jws_aces

One of the things I do to produce better smoke is move the travel for the channel. I set the ATV over 100 to as much as 125 to allow more current to the pump at maximum setting. I also use the slider to control it. The mix will work just as well.

Also I use a 2s lipo for power. I have the same in another jet on a life battery and it doesn't seem to produce as much smoke. Same setting.

Glade to help.

Jeff
Old 05-07-2018, 08:05 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

Glorious weekend in UK allowed me to get the final set up done on Bob White's SG Hawk. We now have a pilot fitted and balance adjusted. Today's four flights allowed the Royal gyro to be set up, its a smooth aeroplane without a gyro, but super smooth with.

Last edited by Dave Wilshere; 05-07-2018 at 08:07 AM.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:24 AM
jws_aces

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere

Glorious weekend in UK allowed me to get the final set up done on Bob White's SG Hawk. We now have a pilot fitted and balance adjusted. Today's four flights allowed the Royal gyro to be set up, its a smooth aeroplane without a gyro, but super smooth with.
Congrats, Looks beautiful Dave. I know you will get many a great flights oh it.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:12 PM
Dave Wilshere

Jeff

Its Bob's aeroplane, I already have around a dozen flights, but due to various changes during the last year it was only this weekend we managed to get the set up nailed. I get to play with it till Bob has the correct certificates. :-)

Dave
Old 08-22-2019, 08:53 AM
skymaster68
My Feedback: (4)

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi!!
anyone remembers the deflection in mm of the flaps for To and Ldg??
also are you guys using a little up elevator when using flaps?? If so how many mm ???
thxs !!
Old 08-22-2019, 08:58 AM
DUCMOZ

Hi, if you go back on this thread, you can see that i lost mine because of too much flap. so know it well. if i remember correctly, the numbers from Skygate (Not CARF) was something like 15mm take off and 40mm landing. (I had 90mm for landing). Or, you can search for Skygate numbers. But less is much better than more!

Behzad
Old 08-22-2019, 09:58 AM
Dave Wilshere

I don’t see you can have too much flap...maybe not enough power! I fly one with I’m guessing 20mm take off and 70mm landing. Depending on balance you won’t need up with flaps.

I’m sure Bob might chip in with factual figures
Old 08-22-2019, 10:14 AM
jseppanen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use about the same as Dave. Can measure exact numbers this coming saturday when at the field. No elevator compensation needed, CG maybe a bit aft of recommended but not much. Still very stable and needs a fair amount of push inverted. Here's a pic with landing flap. K210 for power.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:17 AM
DUCMOZ

Hi Dave, exactly what happened to me. I asked in this forum that how much flap and the response was "put as much as you can". So, in my plane, i could put 90mm. During the flight, i went on the flap and it totally lost the elevator. I added power and nothing changed so i grabbed the flap but it was too late. Then, I asked the guys that how much flap they can dial and everyone could get a different amount so the person that told me "all you can" only could get 45MM or so while mine was different. When I got a new kit (which i still have) I noticed that it's flaps could go down only 40MM and i had to sand some parts to get more. This is my personal experience.

Thanks

Behzad
Old 08-22-2019, 12:48 PM
skymaster68
My Feedback: (4)

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Thxs For the inputs, i was flying mine for years with Futaba and now i’m switching to Jeti, I forgot to measure before start unplugging it and then it was too late 🤪 also k210 on mine...
as I recall i had about 60mm for landing an 20 for To, I wont fly it until Saturday so if any one wants to jump in with their setting I’ld gladdy appreciate it
Old 08-22-2019, 12:53 PM
DUCMOZ

Originally Posted by jseppanen

I use about the same as Dave. Can measure exact numbers this coming saturday when at the field. No elevator compensation needed, CG maybe a bit aft of recommended but not much. Still very stable and needs a fair amount of push inverted. Here's a pic with landing flap. K210 for power.
Hi Janne

Would it be possible for you to post a picture of the linkage for the little landing gear door. I have tried many ways and can't get the one on my new kit to work.

Thank you.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:05 PM
Dave Wilshere

Originally Posted by DUCMOZ
Hi Dave, exactly what happened to me. I asked in this forum that how much flap and the response was "put as much as you can". So, in my plane, i could put 90mm. During the flight, i went on the flap and it totally lost the elevator. I added power and nothing changed so i grabbed the flap but it was too late. Then, I asked the guys that how much flap they can dial and everyone could get a different amount so the person that told me "all you can" only could get 45MM or so while mine was different. When I got a new kit (which i still have) I noticed that it's flaps could go down only 40MM and i had to sand some parts to get more. This is my personal experience.

Thanks

Behzad
Obviously after a loss it’s near impossible to work out what happened, but I wonder if it was not so much the Flap angle as the elevator load and something failed there. The SG Hawk is so lightly loaded it responds really quickly, you say you grabbed the flap, i’d Say I could fly a square loop with a SG Hawk starting at 10’, my guess was you had lost the elevator and that was the un recoverable part.

OK, the SG Hawk does not really need flap, it’s a kite, but we operate Bob’s out of a 300’ grass strip and even on calm days it’s not an issue landing and stopping in 150’ when you have enough flap

Dave
Old 08-22-2019, 01:18 PM
jseppanen

Originally Posted by DUCMOZ
Hi Janne

Would it be possible for you to post a picture of the linkage for the little landing gear door. I have tried many ways and can't get the one on my new kit to work.

Thank you.
Yes, I'll take some pictures, no problem. But not until saturday. Takes some time to get it right as you well know. And as the struts/doors will never be exactly at same spots between kits from different builders (or even left/right wing) there will always be some trial and error involved. This is my second CARF/SG Hawk and couldn't even
use the same links and measurements on both. Here's one pic from 2017 JWM we had here in Finland
Old 08-22-2019, 10:51 PM
marc s

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...virtual+manual

The above thread was one I did many years ago on the Skygate Hawk build I did for Ali Machinchy, there is a section around the gear doors and landing gear which may help even if the kits are different, hopefully you may find some nuggets here to help.

Gear stuff starts around post 430

marcs

Last edited by marc s; 08-22-2019 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-23-2019, 06:20 AM
DUCMOZ

Hi Marc, your thread was my bible to build the first plane. I almost have all of it printed in a binder and followed that for the first Hawk and worked perfectly. But As Janne said, these kits come different and the second one is not working so I thought to see how he did it. Maybe that would work. Thanks again for that thread.

Behzad
Old 08-23-2019, 07:30 AM
Dave Wilshere

I'm sure Marc's is an original SG set up and CARF changed it.

Here is a shot of me flying Bob's Hawk on a full flap pass, this flys a full circuit in max drag like this and this is my landing setting.

Dave

Old 08-24-2019, 04:22 AM
jseppanen

Small gear door. Small ball links on each side.
Old 08-24-2019, 07:45 AM
DUCMOZ

Thank you Janine. I am also surprised that you didn't have to carve up much from inside the large gear cover piece. Somehow mine sits higher.

Thnaks again.

Behzad
Old 08-24-2019, 09:37 AM
c_makhija

Originally Posted by skymaster68
Thxs For the inputs, i was flying mine for years with Futaba and now i’m switching to Jeti, I forgot to measure before start unplugging it and then it was too late 🤪 also k210 on mine...
as I recall i had about 60mm for landing an 20 for To, I wont fly it until Saturday so if any one wants to jump in with their setting I’ld gladdy appreciate it
What a coincidence, I too changed the hawk to Jeti few days ago after flying it for years on JR and forgot to measure the throws.
This is what I had in my notes from SG
Elevator - 38mm up, 32mm down Flaps up
48mm up, 35mm down landing flaps

Aileron +35 -26mm ( hope these are correct as compArf only recommends 25mm up/down. From memory the SG figures look correct on the hawk after setting it up with Jeti.

Rudder + - 60mm ( I decreased it to 40mm up flaps up)

Regards
Chatty.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.