Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

CARF Skygate Hawk in the house !

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

CARF Skygate Hawk in the house !

Old 01-18-2015, 06:13 PM
Stratotanker
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we are...will post pics as we make progress. the next battle is the strut covers!!!!!!!
Old 01-19-2015, 07:43 AM
toti_ducati
My Feedback: (1)

I finally got my cockpit its hand made with a working dash anyway it weights 4 lbs and I i need a 1 lbs of lead to cg at 310mm.
would 5 lbs affect the flying badly or is this the goal of the others owners to stop it from flying like a foamy. Mine now uses a 200 sx with smokes batts in front no cockpit floats a lot now .would the 5 lbs mean death?
How much does the carf cockpit weight?
i can get away with less tail weight if I place the batts in the back with the tanks but the idea scares me.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:13 AM
jws_aces
My Feedback: (33)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toti_ducati
I finally got my cockpit its hand made with a working dash anyway it weights 4 lbs and I i need a 1 lbs of lead to cg at 310mm.
would 5 lbs affect the flying badly or is this the goal of the others owners to stop it from flying like a foamy. Mine now uses a 200 sx with smokes batts in front no cockpit floats a lot now .would the 5 lbs mean death?
i can get away with less tail weight if I place the batts in the back with the tanks but the idea scares me.
I have the factory cockpit with a skymaster pilot. Not sure what it weights. I started with two 2cell 3600Mah life batteries in the front behind the nose gear. I now have them behind the mains and increase the size to 4100mah size. I also have one 2100 3cell life under the back seat for the turbine. 2 very small lipos for gear and lights right in front of the fuse joint. I didn't add any extra weight.

I have 64oz smoke on top of the factory 5 liter main tank. Radio gear including the D&L control box, cortex gyro is coming it a 58LBs wet.

It still seems nose heavy. It will not wheelie very far. I really like the way it lands. It may seem floatie to some but I like be able to get in and out of tight fields.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:20 AM
DUCMOZ

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Stratotanker
we are...will post pics as we make progress. the next battle is the strut covers!!!!!!!
Oh, strut covers! It will be music to future builders ears. Or, ours if the existing one fails😪.

Behzad
Old 01-20-2015, 07:00 PM
Stratotanker

Here is the concept of what we are going for.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SMOKE TANK ASSY.jpg
Views:	821
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	2065844  
Old 01-20-2015, 07:04 PM
Stratotanker

3D Printer ran out of gas, will reprint tomorrow. main body is ready for sanding...

Name:	20150120_185552[1].jpg
Views:	856
Size:	3.39 MB
ID:	2065845  
Old 01-21-2015, 07:47 AM
toti_ducati

Hi Jws I have a 200 sx emcotec rv 2 2300 life 1 3300 lipo the 5.7 liiter main , i also installed on board the 2 liter taxi tank from dreamworks and 2 800 ml smoke tanks still floats and wheelies. Now with the 4.lbs cockpit and 1 lbs tail weight I flew it today just the main tanks and no smoke and she flew so scale like a heavy jet should be. but to fill up the other tanks I guess would be too much
Also the mains bottom right away do you guys install stiffer springs?
will make a simple cockpit so I can fly with 7.7 liters of jet a and 1.6 liters of smoke
Old 01-21-2015, 07:49 AM
toti_ducati

It took 60 % just with gear down and full flaps can someone show the template of the i ntake restrictors
Old 01-21-2015, 08:52 AM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

can you post pictures of your cockpit? Who made it and how much was it, I was considering Carf, but people have said the carf cockpit is lacking all the parts to make it completely including panels for the dash.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:05 AM
Mike Haddox
My Feedback: (5)

The Comp Arf cockpit is very nice. I used it on my Hawk and was very pleased.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:16 AM
Blancr

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Haddox
The Comp Arf cockpit is very nice. I used it on my Hawk and was very pleased.
+1
Old 01-21-2015, 11:56 AM
jws_aces

It took 60 % just with gear down and full flaps can someone show the template of the i ntake restrictors
Toti I have 5 liters of fuel on board and 1.8 of smoke. The gear does squat when fully loaded. It has no problems taking off with full load on my 48lb Kingtech.

On my restrictions that I installed in the intakes. I started out with making a plate that fit up in the back of the intakes right about where it starts to curve and open up. I put a slot in the middle to allow some air to make in. It was to much blockage. The turbine was sucking the doors up and canopy under full throttle (I posted a youtube showing that). It was hauling the mail and didn't slow flight as well as I would like. I open up the slot and added some more holes to get to a happy spot with speed and landing.

I have seen some of the guys building a adjustable plate at the back in of the intakes. I read somewhere when they did that I would sometimes split open. It is very thin there.

If I had to guess it was about 60% restricted.

I don't have the pictures with me but look back in the thread my post 566. I used epoxy board from Dreamworks to cut them out from and epoxy them in.

Last edited by jws_aces; 01-21-2015 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:00 PM
Marvinf14
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello fellow pilots, stopping by to show our Aircraft Model Master Builder designed Inlet Kit for Skygate Hawk . Promising less drag on your Hawk with Bypass feels a lot smoother to fly and when reducing power your Hawk will glide on rails as it should feel. If flying without a Bypass when one reduces power the feeling is you have deployed speed/air brakes, thus our kit also reduces fuel burn.
Kits are done as per order, we can also add tint color to somewhat match the inside of your Hawk, just let us know if you desire it to be colored. Available in Carbon Fiber as well and a lighter Kit Version for JWM.
Contact Marvin A. 305-300-1800 [email protected] If you have any questions. Happy Landings
We have already happy customers, I had the chance to fly one it my self and what a difference it makes! amazing!

Name:	1 (1).JPG
Views:	815
Size:	2.24 MB
ID:	2067065   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 (2).JPG
Views:	878
Size:	2.25 MB
ID:	2067066   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	719
Size:	982.1 KB
ID:	2067067   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	726
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	2067068   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	727
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	2067070   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	716
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	2067071   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	715
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	2067072   Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	740
Size:	935.6 KB
ID:	2067073  

Click image for larger version

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	679
Size:	551.6 KB
ID:	2067074   Click image for larger version

Name:	12.JPG
Views:	877
Size:	2.21 MB
ID:	2067075   Click image for larger version

Name:	13.JPG
Views:	825
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	2067076  
Old 01-29-2015, 12:39 PM
Marvinf14

Allright guys heres a video of our Intake Kit for the Skygate Hawk :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo2Rf3vqtTA
Old 01-29-2015, 05:43 PM
j.c.a.
My Feedback: (2)

Awesome vid, a must have
Old 02-01-2015, 05:32 PM
toti_ducati

Hi JWS,

For my restrictor I made one from plywood and put a single hole in the middle Maybe I blocked 30% I can glue a stick in the middle of the hole to further restrict if needed, Marvins intake is welcome but I dont have a top hatch and I use the original 5.4 liter tank and I added the dreamworks taxi tank 32 oz and left it on board I also have 2 800ml smoke tanks and it still flys light, When I placed my 4 lbs working cockpit I flew it main tank only and I wouldnt dare fly it will all tanks full, I took it out and left the Carf basic cockpit which is like 2 lbs with pilots so I can fly with 7.4 liters of fuel and 1.6 liters of smoke Ill be using this for the Philippine Hot air balloon festival in 2 weeks thanks for all the help
Old 02-01-2015, 07:13 PM
jws_aces

Hi JWS,

For my restrictor I made one from plywood and put a single hole in the middle Maybe I blocked 30% I can glue a stick in the middle of the hole to further restrict if needed, Marvins intake is welcome but I dont have a top hatch and I use the original 5.4 liter tank and I added the dreamworks taxi tank 32 oz and left it on board I also have 2 800ml smoke tanks and it still flys light, When I placed my 4 lbs working cockpit I flew it main tank only and I wouldnt dare fly it will all tanks full, I took it out and left the Carf basic cockpit which is like 2 lbs with pilots so I can fly with 7.4 liters of fuel and 1.6 liters of smoke Ill be using this for the Philippine Hot air balloon festival in 2 weeks thanks for all the help
Awesome! Please post some pics or video if you can flying it at the festival.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:48 AM
skymaster68

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Cool staff Marvin, will cal you around the 15th when I'm in Miami
Cheers
Cristian
Old 02-06-2015, 05:23 AM
lavi rider
My Feedback: (6)

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Soon to be released for the SG Hawk under belly smoke pod with 100oz integrated smoke tank .
Old 02-06-2015, 05:45 AM
Marvinf14

Originally Posted by skymaster68
Cool staff Marvin, will cal you around the 15th when I'm in Miami
Cheers
Cristian

Thank you Cristian, see you soon
Old 02-25-2015, 06:24 PM
skymaster68

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

any news on the smoke pods lavi rider, stratotanker?
Old 02-25-2015, 09:37 PM
lavi rider
My Feedback: (6)

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Under construction ...
Old 03-02-2015, 12:56 AM
toti_ducati

Originally Posted by jws_aces
Toti I have 5 liters of fuel on board and 1.8 of smoke. The gear does squat when fully loaded. It has no problems taking off with full load on my 48lb Kingtech.

On my restrictions that I installed in the intakes. I started out with making a plate that fit up in the back of the intakes right about where it starts to curve and open up. I put a slot in the middle to allow some air to make in. It was to much blockage. The turbine was sucking the doors up and canopy under full throttle (I posted a youtube showing that). It was hauling the mail and didn't slow flight as well as I would like. I open up the slot and added some more holes to get to a happy spot with speed and landing.

I have seen some of the guys building a adjustable plate at the back in of the intakes. I read somewhere when they did that I would sometimes split open. It is very thin there.

If I had to guess it was about 60% restricted.

I don't have the pictures with me but look back in the thread my post 566. I used epoxy board from Dreamworks to cut them out from and epoxy them in.

i cant seem to post pics with my ipad but check out toti alberto in facebook look under philippine hotair balloon fiesta for the pics
for cockpit theres a few under photos of me
Old 03-06-2015, 11:31 AM
topiwala

H guys.
Move now completed 10 flights on mine. For the last 4 flights I've had restrictors installed. It has made a subtle difference in flight characteristics. The model feels more fluid, less draggy.
However, with my model I have discovered a couple of things which may help you.
1. In the 10 flights to date I have had three takeoff attempts of concrete/Tarmac runways. In each of these cases, I have had a flame out on takeoff roll. I do not have this problem taking off grass. Just concrete/ Tarmac. Just to confirm that this wasn't a fluke, I landed on concrete/Tarmac only to suffer another flame out on landing roll!!!!
So the symptom of flame outs only on concrete can surely only be static build up. So I've grounded all landing gear, to the engine casing and fuel tank. Easily done. Just hoping this will work.
But why the issue only on concrete and not off grass??
2. The main landing gear retracts are mounted with long self tapping screws, per the manual. On one of my retracts, these have started to pull out. Self tappers are a real bad idea for such an installation. The retracts need to be bolted. I kind of knew this would happen when I was in the build stage. I should have done something about it then. Oh well.

Are you guys seeing a lot of free play develop in the mains retracts with the struts down and locked? Is there a way to fix this?
Old 03-06-2015, 11:31 AM
topiwala

H guys.
Move now completed 10 flights on mine. For the last 4 flights I've had restrictors installed. It has made a subtle difference in flight characteristics. The model feels more fluid, less draggy.
However, with my model I have discovered a couple of things which may help you.
1. In the 10 flights to date I have had three takeoff attempts of concrete/Tarmac runways. In each of these cases, I have had a flame out on takeoff roll. I do not have this problem taking off grass. Just concrete/ Tarmac. Just to confirm that this wasn't a fluke, I landed on concrete/Tarmac only to suffer another flame out on landing roll!!!!
So the symptom of flame outs only on concrete can surely only be static build up. So I've grounded all landing gear, to the engine casing and fuel tank. Easily done. Just hoping this will work.
But why the issue only on concrete and not off grass??
2. The main landing gear retracts are mounted with long self tapping screws, per the manual. On one of my retracts, these have started to pull out. Self tappers are a real bad idea for such an installation. The retracts need to be bolted. I kind of knew this would happen when I was in the build stage. I should have done something about it then. Oh well.

Are you guys seeing a lot of free play develop in the mains retracts with the struts down and locked? Is there a way to fix this?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.