Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

CARF Skygate Hawk in the house !

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

CARF Skygate Hawk in the house !

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 12:29 AM
In the Haze

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoWings
well so now someone needs to post a tutorial on how to modify the carf skygate hawk gear with better springs.
Indeed, would be most helpful.
Old 07-10-2015, 07:43 AM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking at mine, I don't' see how it would be done its all welded closed. These are teh Carf branded gear btw, made by airtech germany, I guess I need to contact Erwin.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:55 PM
lavi rider
My Feedback: (6)

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Hawks smoke pod with matching internal tank will be available through details 4 scale soon .
Old 07-24-2015, 04:41 AM
skymaster68
My Feedback: (4)

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by lavi rider
Hawks smoke pod with matching internal tank will be available through details 4 scale soon .
Great, can't wait for that !!!

Just wanted to say that I LOVE my SGHawk, yesterday I put 4 more flights on it and just love how it handles and the KT210 power is superb !

Ebeen as I say my struts spring seems to be fully compresed at dry weight, landigs are so soft that you don't notice if they fully compress at touch down..
Old 07-24-2015, 05:49 AM
jws_aces
My Feedback: (33)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

David nice Job! I didn't change my springs and yes it did bottom out without fuel. It did ok on the ground handling at high speeds. You would have to stay with it. From my experence in flying the smaller Hawks when I tried to make it sit up with stiffer springs it seem to be worse on the ground handling. Not sure why.

I personally like the way it sits with the gear fully compressed. It also helps on angle of attack during take offs.

Best of luck with your maiden. I will be starting on my second one I hope soon.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:05 AM
David Gladwin

Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts

Thanks, Jeff, for the compliment. Interestingly the ground handling on my AirWorld Hawks was poor with the original springs, but absolutely fine now that I have stiffened them.

On the real Hawk the "point" of the secondary door is at the top of the wheel center "hub" with little fuel but at the bottom of the center hub with full fuel and smoke tank. That is now where they are on both my AW and SG Hawks, so looks scale too !

By holding about 30% of up stab. from the beginning of the take off roll my AW Hawks rotate beautifully, nose wheel coming off smoothly and then it lifts into the air at about the scale angle.
I've seen too many 20 kg SG Hawks "float" into the air with hardly any pitch change so we'll see how this technique works on mine at 25kg.

David
Old 07-24-2015, 09:34 AM
DUCMOZ

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by skymaster68
Great, can't wait for that !!!

Just wanted to say that I LOVE my SGHawk, yesterday I put 4 more flights on it and just love how it handles and the KT210 power is superb !

Ebeen as I say my struts spring seems to be fully compresed at dry weight, landigs are so soft that you don't notice if they fully compress at touch down..
Hi, could you please let me know where your CG is. I am setting I up (last step before maiden) at 310 from leading edge at the root.

Thank you.

Behzad
Old 07-24-2015, 09:41 AM
jws_aces

I started there and it was nose heavy. I keep trying to move the weight back by relocating the rx batteries to just behind the gear doors.

I did check it with the new XICOY CG machine and it called for about 12oz remove at the point of weight location. I used the front below the pilot as a reference point.

At that setting I still couldn't get it to hold up the nose. I guess if I pulled the pilot out it would have been really close.

I hate to fly a jet with a pilot then it's jusa drone
Old 07-24-2015, 09:57 AM
DUCMOZ

Hi Jeff

I have done a lot of details on the canopy (railings, divider, hand grabs etc..) so had to move the batteries in the bay behind the wing tube. The ECU battery is right on CG. But, I don't think I would be able to have a pilot too. My pilot is only 6OZ. I will be doing work on it tonight. I would add 2-3OZ to the tail if it would resolve the issue and allow me to have a pilot. Otherwise, would have to take him out before flight. (also using stock pipe)

Behzad
Old 07-24-2015, 01:12 PM
jws_aces

No you don't need to change it if you are at 310. Leave it the way it is if you are at 310mm with everything in it except fuel. Yes were you have the batteries is close to the correct recommended CG.

I would fly it first. It will handle great. It want bite you in the turns either. I know a lot of guys have added the weight to the tail but I don't like to do that.

You will be so happy with it the way it is. If you want it to hold the nose up on landing till it's crawing you will have to move it back.

Keeps us up to date on the maiden.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:19 PM
DUCMOZ

Thanks Jeff

will do.

Behzad
Old 07-28-2015, 12:10 PM
skymaster68
My Feedback: (4)

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I emailed details4 scale about the smoke pod, they told me this;
we will have the SG Hawk smoke pod with an integral 90oz smoke tank. The pod is not yet available, but should be ready sometime next week. We already have 3 orders to fill. The price for the pod and tank set is $435 plus shipping. The pod alone is $345.00 without the tank. I can send you some photos if you like as soon as the first unit is pulled from the mold. The 90oz tank tooling is already complete.

They also told me that the smoke tank can be smaller from 30oz to 90oz the largest, now the question is, 90oz of smoke fluid seem a little heavy, considering I'm runing a K210 and Scale cockpit and pilot, what do you guys think? are any of the 3 persons that already ordered one here in the forum?, what size of tank did you order and what engine are you running?, I'm a little afraid that the largest one plus the drag the pode will make will be too much weight for the 210, but dont want to come short on smoke fro an 8 minute flight :/
Old 07-28-2015, 12:30 PM
DUCMOZ

90OZ is about 2.6 liter and it should weigh about 5.7 LB. + the tanks. What method are we going to use to attach the whole thing to the frame ? I would be ordering one but with 30OZ to just use as needed. I am not sure about others but I would have to remove it during transportation so it has to have a detaching system and with that the overall weight becomes more important.

Behzad
Old 07-28-2015, 12:30 PM
jws_aces

I ran 64oz smoke tank in mine with cockpit and the 210g. I will be flew it with the 180g also. My flying weight was 62lbs fuel. It will handle it with out a hitch. I will get one of the tanks down the road and my use it for reserve fuel that way I can let everyone have time on the sticks.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:33 PM
DUCMOZ

My hawk is finally done. Waiting for the time to make the maiden.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	818
Size:	917.1 KB
ID:	2112780   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	836
Size:	609.8 KB
ID:	2112781  
Old 08-03-2015, 03:08 PM
jws_aces

Sweet!! I really like the scheme

Let us know how much you love it after you fly it!

I am pretty sure it will be your favorite.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:26 PM
DUCMOZ

Thanks Jeff. It has to be really good to beat the 2.5M Futura flying wise. But, I am looking forward to it. (I am not sure why that picture turned upside down but it shows normal when opening it).

Behzad
Old 08-03-2015, 05:17 PM
jws_aces

I have let 3 different pilots that own the Futura 2.5m and everyone made the same remarks. The Hawk flew like a heaver Furtura. I have all my birds set up real soft on the controls so that makes it feel like that. I like flying scale like. No quick moves.

Again best of luck on your maiden.

Let me know what you think?
Old 08-03-2015, 10:30 PM
Blancr

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrates Behazad - it does look fabulous. Good luck with the maiden.
Bob
Old 08-04-2015, 06:24 AM
DUCMOZ

Thanks Bob, a little setback last night. I had tested the tank at least 3 times and re-enforced some weak areas and it was all fine, then last night for no reason thought to re-fill and empty. I ran my fingers around the seam through the left inlet when it was full and sure enough, it was smelling like Kero. Those of you that have the plane built know that getting The tank out is a major chor. So I took the inlets out and found the problem spot and fortunately was accessible. Glassed the spot and let it cure. Will test again tonight. My advise is to re-glass the seam if you are in building process so you don't have to deal with this.

behzad
Old 08-04-2015, 08:50 AM
jws_aces

Do you have the standard tank or the new light weight version? I had the standard in mine with no leaks.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:59 AM
DUCMOZ

It is the standard one. The weird thing is that after fixing 3 soft spots, I tested it with air under the water and did not have any issue. I also tested it full and could not see any issue but I think it had some pinholes that did not show and Kero went through them. I more seem to sweat instead of solid leak.

Behzad
Old 08-04-2015, 10:02 AM
jws_aces

good info thanks...I will look at mine.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:32 AM
Blancr

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DUCMOZ
Thanks Bob, a little setback last night. I had tested the tank at least 3 times and re-enforced some weak areas and it was all fine, then last night for no reason thought to re-fill and empty. I ran my fingers around the seam through the left inlet when it was full and sure enough, it was smelling like Kero. Those of you that have the plane built know that getting The tank out is a major chor. So I took the inlets out and found the problem spot and fortunately was accessible. Glassed the spot and let it cure. Will test again tonight. My advise is to re-glass the seam if you are in building process so you don't have to deal with this.

behzad
Hi Behzad,

My tank also leaked but, fortunately, I hadn't installed it - I was just learning how to set up and operate the JB220. CA fixed it (thanks Dave Wilshire!). Good job you found it before flying - that would have been heart breaking.

Fingers crossed for you maiden!
Bob
Old 08-04-2015, 03:18 PM
DUCMOZ

Originally Posted by Blancr
Hi Behzad,

My tank also leaked but, fortunately, I hadn't installed it - I was just learning how to set up and operate the JB220. CA fixed it (thanks Dave Wilshire!). Good job you found it before flying - that would have been heart breaking.

Fingers crossed for you maiden!
Bob
Thank you Bob, it was one of those things that for no reason I was thinking about. It is a pain as I had to take all cockpit / inlets out but beats the alternative. a few of my friends are finishing some nice jets so we are talking about a Maiden Party! I will give report after it.

Behzad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.