Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

CARF Skygate Hawk in the house !

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

CARF Skygate Hawk in the house !

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 08:26 AM
David Gladwin

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

Thanks, Marc, it was a VERY near disaster. I certainly endorse your idea of the carbon plate over the pushrod area, as a minimum. I have a carbon plate going from the base almost to the top of the fin sternpost AND a doubler over the cutout area .

I never did put a baffle in your big tank , but so far so good.
The Hawk is ready to go again, but spending too much time fiddling with my Mig. 29 , using up valuable flying slots, (everything working well) and Eurosport, which also suffered rudder flutter last Sunday. That now has a very strong and stiff fin!
David.

Last edited by David Gladwin; 08-25-2016 at 08:31 AM.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:33 AM
wayne1965

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question guys
apart from the small air ram which Marc used on the small front gear door what else has everybody tried too over come this problem?? I'm trying to keep as scale as possible thanks in advance
Regards
Old 08-25-2016, 10:51 AM
Hinckley Bill
My Feedback: (569)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

David,

Maybe I missed it somewhere earlier in this thread but could you elaborate on the 'baffle in the fuel tank" please?

Bill
Old 08-25-2016, 11:22 AM
marc s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill,

I might be able to assist here.

The tank I made for this conversion is large, its a good shape for a clunk but nonetheless when it starts to get empty fuel will naturally flow to the front or back, the back is fine, the front is not so good for any clunk system.

The Hawk tends to like a steep final which means that fuel can accumulate at the front of the tank and during this prolonged time frame air can be drawn into the pickup line and depending on the amount cause issues with the bubble trap capacity (if used) and hence possible flame outs. Talk has been around inserting baffles in the tank to help prevent this but personally I've not seen anyone post any info on how they have done this, and indeed how the clunk/pickup works inside a baffled tank. I did make suggestions to incline the tank and mounts so that on finals the tank remains closer to the horizontal, I do believe some have done this mod. A friend in NZ is toying with an idea I suggested to add a bulge on the base of the tank so it works as a reservoir holding fuel in a place where the clunk can collect fuel when low. Another option is to add a header tank with a simple fixed central pickup to act as an air accumulator.

There are loads of these tanks fitted in SGH's so maybe others who have them might chime in here and let us know what they have or have not done.

I'va a drawing of an idea I had using the main tank (with a mod) to perform the role of two tanks, if you want the info let me know, it should be achievable with minimal work and a little glass cloth resin work.

marcs
Old 08-25-2016, 11:53 AM
Hinckley Bill
My Feedback: (569)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Marc...

I sure would appreciate any info/advice you could provide and have sent you a pm with my email address so it's easier for you to do so

Thx

Bill
Old 09-19-2016, 03:10 PM
Remco45

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@Wayne1965
A scale solution which works very well can be found here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...1-3-5-a-6.html
See my posts 138 - 140.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:20 AM
David Gladwin

After my near disaster with the fin failure, my Hawk with the fin repaired as described in RCJI made three more certification flights yesterday. Rudder travel, flaps up, was limited as suggested , four point and slow roll flown using the full travel of the reduced rudder deflection, a full power fast flight showed no sign of any flutter and the new dummy trim tab stayed attached. All went well. (but I will be using stronger rubber bands to hold the nose hatches closed !)

Pitch response was was very good, perhaps too sensitive, with the stab pivot moved to the scale position (allows scale covers on the pivot point) and the low current drain suggests the two JR 6311 HV servos are not working very hard even at large deflections. The model was stalled with full stab deflection as part of the certification flights, totally docile, with a clean break at the stall with not too much wing drop so no nasty tendencies.

Current drain remained remarkably low ( Weatronic data) and the Powerbox Lipo gave a very steady 8 volts, so no switchover to battery 2 on any flight.Weatronic users may like to know that rx status remained at 8 in flight showing the high gain patch antenna really do work well.

It goes into the hangar now for a full internal inspection, activation of the smoke system and the alternate gear extension system, although the Intairco selector valves show zero leakage in one month.

Lots of of pictures of it on the Long Marston thread, many thanks to Alistair Powers.

David.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:41 AM
Remco45

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good news David,

On the pics it seems that you had a camera mounted on the fuselage aimed at the left side of the fin/rudder; any video?
And I'm curious to the stabilizer throws you have used as I've made the same Stabilizer pivot point mod on my Tomahawk Hawk (ground part of certification done last weekend).
Did you use any expo? And are you changing the throws?
Old 10-03-2016, 07:57 AM
wayne1965

Hi david
im also doing certification flights useing Olympus HP my hawk weighs in at 25.5 kilos then 6.5 litres of fuel, I'm thinking on a larger engine right now what's your thoughts
Regards and happy landings
Old 10-03-2016, 09:56 AM
David Gladwin

Originally Posted by Remco45
Good news David,

On the pics it seems that you had a camera mounted on the fuselage aimed at the left side of the fin/rudder; any video?
And I'm curious to the stabilizer throws you have used as I've made the same Stabilizer pivot point mod on my Tomahawk Hawk (ground part of certification done last weekend).
Did you use any expo? And are you changing the throws?
Sadly the video stopped before take off, full card.

I will use it on next flights.

Not much negative G but the PST bubble trap has only a small bit of air in it, so no signs of cavitation or leakage from Tygon or Festo fittings !!

I used 25 % expo , then increased to 30% on pitch but it's still a little twitchy so Iwill limit the throws ( initially as per original ) as I gain experience. My aim is to make it handle exactly as per my Airworld Hawks which are just right for my flying style which emulates the way a real Hawk is flown, no hotdogging or knife edge. (Yuk! ) aileron throws were perfect, even with just a little gyro gain.

Can't see any reason for using a bigger engine than an Olympus. My jet takes off, zero wind in about 60 yards, and has more than enough power for aeros. In fact I am considering putting a smaller engine, JetCat 220, in it.

Lovely model but handling the size and weight is a hassle on my own.

David.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:07 AM
wayne1965

Hi david
i couldn't agree with you more ,I thought the Airworld was a absolute corker as I've owned the 1/4.5 and 1/4 and too be honest I thought you wouldn't come no better , but the skygate all I can say is wow! It's in a class of its own, I was warned by several people not too even try and get it out light , so I bought just about every extra from uk jets including full bypass and larger tank, she came in at 25.6kg dry and at that weight I will also agree on your own it's a handful!! But on the other hand even risking a hernia it's worth it �� All I need too get now is a high flow valve for retracts ,
Old 10-03-2016, 10:35 AM
lavi rider
My Feedback: (6)

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Hello David ,
speaking from experience these Hawks fly great with P-180RXs and will pull any maneuver in the book .,
scale competition pilots fly these throughout the routine , knife edge and all .,
true these are all under 20kg . But still with lots to spare .

After almost two years mine is finally ready , finely got my ducks in a row , right tail number matching the crew names who flew it . XX322 :-) ....
more updates soon
Old 10-03-2016, 10:52 AM
lavi rider

Just a note to all seeking to build a competition scale model of the Red Arrows from the skygate /CARF models kit , this hawk is an Mk66 of the type delivered to the Swiss Air Force and differes from the one used by the Britush aerobatic Red Hawks team in several areas most significant at the very rear end of the fuselage above the exhaust pipe as well in other areas .,.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:46 PM
jws_aces
My Feedback: (33)

Originally Posted by lavi rider
Just a note to all seeking to build a competition scale model of the Red Arrows from the skygate /CARF models kit , this hawk is an Mk66 of the type delivered to the Swiss Air Force and differes from the one used by the Britush aerobatic Red Hawks team in several areas most significant at the very rear end of the fuselage above the exhaust pipe as well in other areas .,.
I am sure you know you hawks but you can't beat the way the comp arf flies. I just logged 1000 mins in flights since installing the K210g on mine sing February at FL jets. That's no counting the fall of 2015 with the 180g tha had 12hrs on it when I swapped them out.

This is by far the best flying scale bird on the marked if built right. I will out fly a lot of sport jets in it's size category.

If you are into must have perfection on scale then maybe another model but for shear fun and being able to fly at war bird, scale events you want beat it.

JMHO
Old 10-04-2016, 03:16 AM
darryltarr
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
The dummy trim tab was cut away from the rudder to look exactly scale and mounted with polyply tabs, but glued to the top of the tab cutaway to lock in place.

My suggestion of the sequence of events is that the tab fluttered (judging by the damage to the trailing edge of the tab cutaway.

This flutter caused the rudder to flutter overloading the fin which then failed longitudinally just above the mounting tube.
I belive the tab separated, stopping the rudder flutter and saving the fin from total failure.
I asked David in my Post (1179), if he had modified the Trim Tab, and the above quote from him said YES.

As suggested this may have been the "root cause" all along.

My SG Hawk has had hundreds of flights. Its an original kit with the only modification (to the horizontal stab), being an additional grub screw on the spar. JetCat P-200SX and a dry weight of 25 KGs.

Perhaps some are being too HARSH on the original design.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:40 AM
David Gladwin

Darryl,
Having carefully looked at the at the structure of my original SkyGate fin after the failure, I still feel that the original design was poor with shortfalls in load paths and distribution. The bending moment is concentrated at the top of the fin " tube" with not much above it.

I feel that my modification, ie the carbon plate sternpost with a doubler at the pushrod cutout plus cf cloth inside is worthwhile, substantially improving strength with no penalty and is easy to incorporate. The weight increase was about 100 grammes which meant I could remove 100 gm of tail ballast which served no structural function. The ballast required on my machine was about 700 gms.

Anyway, all was well on the last three flight!

David.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:45 AM
wayne1965

Hi guys
for my two Penith I got to go with David, not that I'm taking anyone's side!! Thing is as I see it you build the model lite it looks crap in the air and you can't get a scale landing let alone flight! As I said before I was told not too even try and get it out lite and at the same time after a couple of issues I've heard with fins cracking I made the decision too cloth the inside and strengthen post, as I see it the model is slightly heavier as I said 25.6 dry but having now eliminated the fin risk I will say it's probably one of the best and most solid planes in the air there's absolute no two ways about it, so at the end of the day trim tab no trim tab if you want too risk 15k and you got money too chuck away don't strengthen nothing , myself personally I listen too other people's problems and experiences and do my best too keep my jet safe ��Thankyou too you all
Regards and happy landings
Old 11-15-2016, 10:55 AM
RoLe

Hi guys.

Any interest in this?
If, pls mail to jetroar(att)online(dot)no

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawk1.JPG
Views:	1253
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	2190056   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawk2.JPG
Views:	1234
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	2190057   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawk3.JPG
Views:	1251
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	2190058  
Old 11-15-2016, 09:40 PM
skymaster68
My Feedback: (4)

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

msg sent
Originally Posted by RoLe
Hi guys.

Any interest in this?
If, pls mail to jetroar(att)online(dot)no

Thanks
Old 12-10-2016, 01:18 PM
lavi rider

I've finally done my maiden on my Hawk yesterday plus another three sorties .
absolutly stunning as I've witnessed quite a few of these fly in past years since Stefan Wolker completed his very first one .
The hawk flown right has a beautiful scale like non steep approach ( proper energy management ). I've added another 1.5l of fuel to the existing fuel tank allowing a comfortable 9min flight duration with my P-200RX .
the model is a bit over 22 Kg . Had to add 750g of ballast to the tail due to my overloaded high scale cockpit I built for it .
Got a scale functioning smoke pod carrying 2.5l of smoke fluid .

Absolute joy to own and fly one of these ... Thank you Stefan !
Old 12-10-2016, 01:19 PM
lavi rider

https://youtu.be/lmwEV8BWlFk
Old 12-10-2016, 02:06 PM
lavi rider

A few pics ...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	2193057   Click image for larger version

Views:	124
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	2193058   Click image for larger version

Views:	95
Size:	252.3 KB
ID:	2193059  
Old 12-10-2016, 04:24 PM
jws_aces
My Feedback: (33)

Originally Posted by lavi rider
A few pics ...
Great looking jet!! I am sure the Hawk will become your favorite as you can see by the way it flies slow or fast. It is mine. Congrats!!
Old 12-10-2016, 06:41 PM
DUCMOZ

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Congratulations Lavi. I am sure it is more beautiful live. You inspire me to start working on mine again.

behzad
Old 12-12-2016, 02:31 AM
David Gladwin

Glad to see all went well. Mine is flying again and handles beautifully, although rather sensitive in pitch, c of g will be moved forward a little and a little more expo used, currently 30 %

I have received a new a new fin from CARF and the main tube is smaller than the original. I have used a combination of CF tubing to make things fit.

I looked carefully at the at the latest fin structure and frankly it's not that much different to the original. As the model needs tail ballast, I will incorporate carbon fibre cloth in the lower are of the new fin and a cf sternpost as I described in RCJI. I will not cut out the dummy trim tab ! As the small weight of these mods. replaces structurally useless lead it is more insurance agains any possible failure.

Over the Christmas holiday I will split the fuselage and inspect the engine mount etc to see that all is wel, then ready for the new season next spring!

Superb model, particularly at weights higher than 20 kg. !

Regards,

David.

Last edited by David Gladwin; 12-12-2016 at 02:34 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.