Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Wondering about something

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Wondering about something

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 08:28 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Wondering about something

I was pondering my f-15 today and I noticed these two setups. The half bipass they are using comes with the jet and they have connected it to the bell mouth on one and the other is straight to the pipe. The bypass is just fiberglass, will this not degrade from the heat and eventually crumble from the extreme heat? Just wondering for when I install mine. Thanks

http://flyeaglejet.com/f15e/1aa11%20%283%29.jpg

http://flyeaglejet.com/f15e/IMG_3324.JPG
Old 12-12-2012, 08:49 PM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Wondering about something

Usually coat the inside of mine with BVM heat shield.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:13 PM
FenderBean

yeah I thought about that as well, but didn't know if that would last for long periods of time in such close contact with such high heat.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:14 PM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The bypasses should be carbon fibre if they are black like that. There just not as good of quality as you would find in a BVM Product. But as David has said you should paint the last three to four inches of the back end with at least three coats of the BVM heat shield and they should be just fine. Make sure you sand the inside real good and wipe them out with isopropyl alcohol before you apply the Heat shield.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:16 PM
dubd

I have used similar set ups in CARF planes without any problems.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:21 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

the bellmouths in the 2nd photo are unnecessary, and don't serve much of a function ( amusing the carbon lip fits into the pipe as it looks it does )

~V~
Old 12-12-2012, 11:36 PM
dubd

ORIGINAL: wojtek

the bellmouths in the 2nd photo are unnecessary, and don't serve much of a function ( amusing the carbon lip fits into the pipe as it looks it does )

~V~
Agreed. It's redundant.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:12 AM
FenderBean

k thanks for the info, yeah I wouldn't use the bellmouth. Just for info, the fact its not a full bypass matter?
Old 12-13-2012, 11:34 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: FenderBean

k thanks for the info, yeah I wouldn't use the bellmouth. Just for info, the fact its not a full bypass matter?
As dubd said, CARF supplies basically the same thing and it seems to hold up well as long as its painted with BVM heat shield. It may hold up OK without it, but I also painted the one in my Flash with heat shield to be sure.

This thing is basically just a large bell mouth. The bell mouth serves two purposes. The first is to smooth the airflow from inside the airframe into the pipe. Without the bell mouth, the air passing around the sharp leading edge of the pipe would be very turbulent, which would severely restrict the amount of air that gets into the pipe - robbing thrust and increasing airframe drag (from ram air backing up into the inlets). The second purpose is to support the front end of the pipe. The bell mouth greatly increases the rigidity of the front of the pipe and also reduces the vibration from the turbulence, which can damage or collapse the pipe.

You have to have either a full bypass, or a bell mouth. Which one each model has is a choice of the aircraft designer and/or builder...

Bob
Old 12-13-2012, 12:18 PM
FenderBean

Okay so this type of setup is just a fancy bell mouth, so would you still use the recommended distance from turbine cone to the start of bell mouth?
Old 12-13-2012, 12:27 PM
rhklenke

Okay so this type of setup is just a fancy bell mouth, so would you still use the recommended distance from turbine cone to the start of bell mouth?
No, in this setup, I use the distance (the typical 3/4" to 1") from the end of the engine tail pipe to the start of the pipe itself - not the bell mouth. With this "big bell mouth" the tail cone of the engine will actually be partly inside the bell mouth - as your pictures show.

BTW, my Skymaster F-4 came with a "big bell mouth" that is close to the size of the carbon ones in your pictures, but this one is actually made of spin aluminum. I use the same placement method as with the carbon bell mouths.

Bob
Old 12-13-2012, 01:31 PM
ron Sweeney

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a look at the Wren pipes, hardly any bell mouth, just the end turned out slightly, makes you wonder??? Ron.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:42 PM
FenderBean

I got it locked in now, thanks for the info Bob
Old 12-13-2012, 07:27 PM
rhklenke

ORIGINAL: ron Sweeney

Take a look at the Wren pipes, hardly any bell mouth, just the end turned out slightly, makes you wonder??? Ron.
I'd be willing to bet that the "turned out slightly" end is much stiffer than an end that is not turned out at all. I'd be really worried about a pipe that did not have *something* to stiffen the end near the turbine.

I've not seen a Wren pipe first-hand, I'd also be curious to see if they use thicker material in their pipes.

Bob
Old 12-13-2012, 07:39 PM
FenderBean

so maybe adding the bell mouth like the one picture is still a good idea?
ORIGINAL: rhklenke

ORIGINAL: ron Sweeney

I'd be willing to bet that the ''turned out slightly'' end is much stiffer than an end that is not turned out at all. I'd be really worried about a pipe that did not have *something* to stiffen the end near the turbine...

Bob
Old 12-14-2012, 05:12 AM
rhklenke

so maybe adding the bell mouth like the one picture is still a good idea?
You mean in addition to the carbon one? No, that's not necessary. What he's talking about is a Wren pipe that doesn't have *any* bell mouth, just a rolled edge on the front to add some stiffness. I'd still rather have some type of bell mouth, either the aluminum ones or a carbon one, or a bypass...

Bob
Old 12-20-2012, 02:19 AM
CrocEnd

Guy's I am not seeing any pic's here
Old 12-20-2012, 02:24 AM
CrocEnd

OR is it that you are only talking about the first two link pic's

Thanx.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:49 PM
FenderBean

The first thread has two different setups and thats what we have been referring to
Old 12-20-2012, 02:19 PM
rbxbear44
My Feedback: (86)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: rhklenke

No, in this setup, I use the distance (the typical 3/4'' to 1'') from the end of the engine tail pipe to the start of the pipe itself - not the bell mouth. With this ''big bell mouth'' the tail cone of the engine will actually be partly inside the bell mouth - as your pictures show.

BTW, my Skymaster F-4 came with a ''big bell mouth'' that is close to the size of the carbon ones in your pictures, but this one is actually made of spin aluminum. I use the same placement method as with the carbon bell mouths.

Bob
+1 with Bob. Lot's of folks measure from the outside rim of the bell to the turbine tail cone but it's really where the pipe starts that is your good measuring point for your gap.