RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

intro to turbines

Reply
Old 12-16-2012, 02:30 PM
  #26
Sgt Shay
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: el paso, TX
Posts: 91
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: intro to turbines


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Marcelo Assis

Have you already seen the Esay Jet XL from Joam Matos RC?
www.joaomatosrc.com
I know Barry from Kingtech USA is selling it in USA.
I got mine and it is very impressive. You can make a very good combo with a K 100G.
Regards
Marcelo
Thanks...yeah I saw the easy jet, and its right up my alley but more than I want to spend on a jet trainer. But when its time to buy I will consider several factors. I.e. length of time I would fly it, ease of operation, price, etc, etc.
Sgt Shay is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:07 PM
  #27
basimpsn
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Mia, FL
Posts: 2,487
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: intro to turbines


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Sgt Shay

Kingtech was pointed out to me and I'm going to go with it.. as far as airframe...for my first I want something with simplicity. Something to get the basics down...not interested in retracts and all the bells and whistles. So I'm thinking of getting a falcon 120 and keep the fixed gear on it. Then after some time flying that step up to something more sleek and spotty, maybe even a scale jet.
Hey.. sounds like a plan
basimpsn is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:17 PM
  #28
husafreak
 
husafreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 723
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: intro to turbines

Hey Sgt (I was a Capt) If you have access to a Ipad and want to get excited about turbines download the App for RC Jets international online magazine for 99 cents and then for your free introductory offer download this months turbine special.
husafreak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:06 PM
  #29
jetster81
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: london, UNITED KINGDOM
Posts: 864
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: intro to turbines


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Sgt Shay


Quote:
ORIGINAL: jetster81


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Sgt Shay


Quote:
ORIGINAL: basimpsn

Quote:
Yes I'm new or actually will be new to turbines.
The first question is what experience do you have with RC plane, size, speed & weigh ?

P.S thanks for your service
I'm experienced...I have been flying a 50cc mx2, along with a 30cc. I have different planes edf. Glow, so on and so on. Fastest plane I have is my phase 3 f-16 moving at 140ish.

Not new to rc, just to turbines.

No thanks needed sir. It's our job.

Can't see why you are asking, you seem to know it all.

Do you have something intelligent to ad to this or are you just trying to piss me off sir?
Lovely attitude you have there Sarg, now don't go getting all gung ho on us now.

jetster81 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:34 PM
  #30
IFlyEm35
 
IFlyEm35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 614
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: intro to turbines

Get a Kingtech 140 and a Boomerang XL or a Torus.

This is a perfect combo for your first jet. I have never flown the Torus but I have had a couple XL's and it is one of my favorite beginner jets. The Ultra Flash is a great jet. But I think it would make a better 2nd one. The Boomer is much more forgiving. Plus it's MUCH larger and easier to see.

Here are a couple of my vids:

Boomerang XL:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA9mAL4pfZg (Watch it HD. In standard def its hard to see due to the clouds. The smoke pump had a bad battery)

Ultra Flash (2nd flight):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M9HQiky5F0
IFlyEm35 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:36 PM
  #31
FenderBean
 
FenderBean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Clarksville , TN
Posts: 5,724
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: intro to turbines

Jetster81, I would have said the same thing about your comment. [:-] From what you typed you either were saying it looks like you got the right idea or just being a ***** trying to start something. Someone that wasn't trying to be a ***** would have cleared things up if their comment was taken the wrong way.
FenderBean is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:36 PM
  #32
jetster81
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: london, UNITED KINGDOM
Posts: 864
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: intro to turbines


Quote:
ORIGINAL: FenderBean

Jetster81, I would have said the same thing about your comment. [:-] From what you typed you either were saying it looks like you got the right idea or just being a ***** trying to start something. Someone that wasn't trying to be a ***** would have cleared things up if their comment was taken the wrong way.
I found some of his comments condescending and the 'sir's' to be sarcastic which offended me.

jetster81 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:40 PM
  #33
IFlyEm35
 
IFlyEm35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 614
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: intro to turbines

Quote:
ORIGINAL: jetster81


Quote:
ORIGINAL: FenderBean

Jetster81, I would have said the same thing about your comment. [:-] From what you typed you either were saying it looks like you got the right idea or just being a ***** trying to start something. Someone that wasn't trying to be a ***** would have cleared things up if their comment was taken the wrong way.
I found some of his comments condescending and the 'sir's' to be sarcastic which offended me.

I think you are looking into things way too much. Let's all just get along. I read the thread and no where did I get the impression that SGT was being rude or condescending. Let's just go back to doing what we all love. Talk about R/C! [8D]
IFlyEm35 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:57 PM
  #34
FenderBean
 
FenderBean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Clarksville , TN
Posts: 5,724
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: intro to turbines

Hes a NCO in the military, he was just showing courtesy, people have lost perspective on the fact that the internet adds a very big (lost in translation) factor, plus some people are raised to say sir to a stranger in our country. The problem with reading everything is 10 people can read the same thing and end up with 10 different opinions, probably the biggest cause of forum fights today.
Quote:
ORIGINAL: jetster81


Quote:
ORIGINAL: FenderBean

Jetster81, I would have said the same thing about your comment. [:-] From what you typed you either were saying it looks like you got the right idea or just being a ***** trying to start something. Someone that wasn't trying to be a ***** would have cleared things up if their comment was taken the wrong way.
I found some of his comments condescending and the 'sir's' to be sarcastic which offended me.

FenderBean is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:44 PM
  #35
Boomerang1
 
Boomerang1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 2,827
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: intro to turbines

Quote:
So I'm thinking of getting a falcon 120 and keep the fixed gear on it.
Quote:
Kingtech was pointed out to me and I'm going to go with it.. as far as airframe...
Wasn't Modelbau USA doing a special deal with a Tornado if you bought a Kingtech as a package deal?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=887303

John.
Boomerang1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:29 AM
  #36
basimpsn
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Mia, FL
Posts: 2,487
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: intro to turbines

Here is a good fix gear jet trainer call the JETCAP 242, Flys as good as the boomerang Only mod was to change the tail wheel to Aluminum [:@]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUuYsH_9MNI
basimpsn is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:37 AM
  #37
Dr Honda
 
Dr Honda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Latrobe, PA
Posts: 2,221
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: intro to turbines


Quote:
ORIGINAL: basimpsn

Here is a good fix gear jet trainer call the JETCAP 242, Flys as good as the boomerang Only mod was to change the tail wheel to Aluminum [:@]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUuYsH_9MNI
COOL !!!!!!

I've got to build one of those !!!
Dr Honda is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:52 AM
  #38
Dr Honda
 
Dr Honda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Latrobe, PA
Posts: 2,221
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: intro to turbines


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Sgt Shay

Kingtech was pointed out to me and I'm going to go with it.. as far as airframe...for my first I want something with simplicity. Something to get the basics down...not interested in retracts and all the bells and whistles. So I'm thinking of getting a falcon 120 and keep the fixed gear on it. Then after some time flying that step up to something more sleek and spotty, maybe even a scale jet.

The Falcon 120 is a great jet, and they are dirt cheap. I know a lot of guys here will put them down as not being a real jet... but with a few simple mod's... and not trying to make them fly at 180 mph... you will have a model that will get you though the turbine learning curve. Besides... if you crunch one... it's only $150 for a new air frame.


I was in the same boat as you 2 years ago. Wanted an inexpensive trainer, without the complications of retracts. So... My first attempt at flying my Falcon was to use the stock fixed gear. IT SUCKS !!!!!! It bent before we ever got off the ground. So... I made a nice spring loaded nose gear, and changed the main gear over to an aluminum set. By doing that... it supports the engine and wing mounts better, and it's MUCH easier to put together and transport since the fuse is on it's own gear.

If you get one, an want more info... just give me a yell.


Dr Honda is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:35 AM
  #39
2_Subway
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lichtenau/Ansbach, GERMANY
Posts: 14
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: intro to turbines

Hey Sgt,
Are you a crew chief on Chinooks?

Henry
2_Subway is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:10 AM
  #40
essyou35
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Central Midwest
Posts: 1,637
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: intro to turbines

The falcon 120 require quite a bit of mods and the cheapest kingtech is K80 which I am not sure if you can get anymore, you may be stuck with a K100 (I was told K80 being discontinued not sure if that is still true).

The K100 is way too much power for the falcon 120 without major modifications. If you got the $$$, the tornado is a falcon 120 done up right. YOu can put fixed gear on that too.

I would hate to you see get frusterated and lose a new turbine to a questionable airframe.

By the the time you do the mods to the falcon 120 cost wise you would be a tornado pretty close. I went with the F-86D great trainer but lots of mods again. I woudl of done tornado but transport is hell. YOu have to remove the booms and wings and this is a point for error, getting it hooked up right everytime. They take a lot of wear and tear being taken a apart like that.

If you can keep it together in 1 piece you will be much better off.

If I could my first turbine over again I would get a turbinator or a jet mach. They fly so good and are so easy to fly. No bad characteristics, othyer than FUGLY.
essyou35 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:19 PM
  #41
av8ersteve
 
av8ersteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Morganton, NC
Posts: 75
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: intro to turbines

I just purchased my first turbine, a used but very well maintained RAM 750. I was set on getting a Boomerang Elan, then I seen your post (picture of the Turbinator). What thrust are you using in this jet? Would it be a better start over the Elan? Just asking your opinion. Thanks.
av8ersteve is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:09 PM
  #42
Prop_Washer2
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 677
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: intro to turbines


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Sgt Shay

Thanks for the reply smitty....I'm actually in el paso, and I haven't seen a lot of people fly turbines out here in el paso. Yet alone flying at all. That's a great suggestion and I would have done that but, the jet guys just don't seem to be around here.
I fly in El Paso. There is a new very nice field in Northeast going out McCombs, then turning right on Stan Roberts at the 4-way stop sign. Also another off of Montana street on the East Side as well as another new one on the East Side (Horizon City's new field) and there are flyers at the Sod Farm on the West Side. The Northeast Club (El Paso Radio Controllers) has been around over 40 years with around 80 members...
Prop_Washer2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:32 PM
  #43
Sgt Shay
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: el paso, TX
Posts: 91
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: intro to turbines


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Prop_Washer2


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Sgt Shay

Thanks for the reply smitty....I'm actually in el paso, and I haven't seen a lot of people fly turbines out here in el paso. Yet alone flying at all. That's a great suggestion and I would have done that but, the jet guys just don't seem to be around here.
I fly in El Paso. There is a new very nice field in Northeast going out McCombs, then turning right on Stan Roberts at the 4-way stop sign. Also another off of Montana street on the East Side as well as another new one on the East Side (Horizon City's new field) and there are flyers at the Sod Farm on the West Side. The Northeast Club (El Paso Radio Controllers) has been around over 40 years with around 80 members...
I have been to the field out to the n.e. but every time I have been there there has only been 2 or 3 people flying. Maybe its the wind that keeps people away. Haven't been to the horizon field yet but I will eventually.
Thanks prop washer.
Sgt Shay is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:38 PM
  #44
Sgt Shay
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: el paso, TX
Posts: 91
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: intro to turbines


Quote:
ORIGINAL: essyou35

The falcon 120 require quite a bit of mods and the cheapest kingtech is K80 which I am not sure if you can get anymore, you may be stuck with a K100 (I was told K80 being discontinued not sure if that is still true).

The K100 is way too much power for the falcon 120 without major modifications. If you got the $$$, the tornado is a falcon 120 done up right. YOu can put fixed gear on that too.

I would hate to you see get frusterated and lose a new turbine to a questionable airframe.

By the the time you do the mods to the falcon 120 cost wise you would be a tornado pretty close. I went with the F-86D great trainer but lots of mods again. I woudl of done tornado but transport is hell. YOu have to remove the booms and wings and this is a point for error, getting it hooked up right everytime. They take a lot of wear and tear being taken a apart like that.

If you can keep it together in 1 piece you will be much better off.

If I could my first turbine over again I would get a turbinator or a jet mach. They fly so good and are so easy to fly. No bad characteristics, othyer than FUGLY.
Thanks for that info sir, I will consider that. Not trying to do any mods on an airframe either, when I can just buy something that's built for a turbine. Thanks again sir.
Sgt Shay is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:42 PM
  #45
Sgt Shay
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: el paso, TX
Posts: 91
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: intro to turbines


Quote:
ORIGINAL: 2_Subway

Hey Sgt,
Are you a crew chief on Chinooks?

Henry
I was at my previous unit and rank, now i train, supervise and mentor my soldiers, oh and discipline them when they get out of line. I'm no longer a flyer but a wrencher. I will post a nice pic of me flying.
Sgt Shay is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:47 PM
  #46
Sgt Shay
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: el paso, TX
Posts: 91
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: intro to turbines


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Dr Honda


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Sgt Shay

Kingtech was pointed out to me and I'm going to go with it.. as far as airframe...for my first I want something with simplicity. Something to get the basics down...not interested in retracts and all the bells and whistles. So I'm thinking of getting a falcon 120 and keep the fixed gear on it. Then after some time flying that step up to something more sleek and spotty, maybe even a scale jet.

The Falcon 120 is a great jet, and they are dirt cheap. I know a lot of guys here will put them down as not being a real jet... but with a few simple mod's... and not trying to make them fly at 180 mph... you will have a model that will get you though the turbine learning curve. Besides... if you crunch one... it's only $150 for a new air frame.


I was in the same boat as you 2 years ago. Wanted an inexpensive trainer, without the complications of retracts. So... My first attempt at flying my Falcon was to use the stock fixed gear. IT SUCKS !!!!!! It bent before we ever got off the ground. So... I made a nice spring loaded nose gear, and changed the main gear over to an aluminum set. By doing that... it supports the engine and wing mounts better, and it's MUCH easier to put together and transport since the fuse is on it's own gear.

If you get one, an want more info... just give me a yell.


Thanks for the info, its a toss up. But glad there's plenty of guys with opinions and experience here to guide me along my intro to turbines.
Sgt Shay is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:53 PM
  #47
Sgt Shay
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: el paso, TX
Posts: 91
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: intro to turbines


Quote:
ORIGINAL: basimpsn

Here is a good fix gear jet trainer call the JETCAP 242, Flys as good as the boomerang Only mod was to change the tail wheel to Aluminum [:@]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUuYsH_9MNI

Wooowww.... Ok, now thats different. And badass. I. Bet its cheaper then buying a turboprop. Nice mod dude.
Sgt Shay is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:58 PM
  #48
Sgt Shay
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: el paso, TX
Posts: 91
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: intro to turbines


Quote:
ORIGINAL: husafreak

Hey Sgt (I was a Capt) If you have access to a Ipad and want to get excited about turbines download the App for RC Jets international online magazine for 99 cents and then for your free introductory offer download this months turbine special.
I will have to get me a subscription to it and get the mags sent to afghan land while I'm over, and hell if anyone has any magazines they want to send over that are older let me know I will hook you up with the mailing address when I get over there.

Thanks sir for the info.
Sgt Shay is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:03 PM
  #49
Sgt Shay
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: el paso, TX
Posts: 91
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: intro to turbines

Quote:
ORIGINAL: FenderBean

Hes a NCO in the military, he was just showing courtesy, people have lost perspective on the fact that the internet adds a very big (lost in translation) factor, plus some people are raised to say sir to a stranger in our country. The problem with reading everything is 10 people can read the same thing and end up with 10 different opinions, probably the biggest cause of forum fights today.
Quote:
ORIGINAL: jetster81


Quote:
ORIGINAL: FenderBean

Jetster81, I would have said the same thing about your comment. [:-] From what you typed you either were saying it looks like you got the right idea or just being a ***** trying to start something. Someone that wasn't trying to be a ***** would have cleared things up if their comment was taken the wrong way.
I found some of his comments condescending and the 'sir's' to be sarcastic which offended me.


Yeah that guy annoyed me , but I blocked him, but what sucks is if he posts here and someone quotes him I can see his post. Jester is just making excuses for being a bag, who gets offended by someone else calling someone else sir.?? Please go irritate someone else SIR.
Sgt Shay is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:04 PM
  #50
Sgt Shay
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: el paso, TX
Posts: 91
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: intro to turbines


Quote:
ORIGINAL: IFlyEm35

Quote:
ORIGINAL: jetster81


Quote:
ORIGINAL: FenderBean

Jetster81, I would have said the same thing about your comment. [:-] From what you typed you either were saying it looks like you got the right idea or just being a ***** trying to start something. Someone that wasn't trying to be a ***** would have cleared things up if their comment was taken the wrong way.
I found some of his comments condescending and the 'sir's' to be sarcastic which offended me.

I think you are looking into things way too much. Let's all just get along. I read the thread and no where did I get the impression that SGT was being rude or condescending. Let's just go back to doing what we all love. Talk about R/C! [8D]
Yes sir let's do it. R/c!!!!!!
Sgt Shay is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:08 AM.