Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Xtreme Jets BD-5

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Xtreme Jets BD-5

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 09:32 AM
stuka
My Feedback: (62)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Xtreme Jets BD-5

Has anyone got any info on this. I am thinking about ordering one but would like to hear from some guys who have built them. Only thing I find on here is old info. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:00 PM
zonker123
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Xtreme Jets BD-5

I built one last Winter. Propelled by Jet Central Rabbit. Just the right amount of power to be fun but not stress the airframe. For me it was a pretty straight forward build. The kit comes with no directions so you have to do a lot of 'that looks about right' as far as equipment placement is concerned. Keep the center of the tank just slightly forward of the wing tube. Battery's in the nose. The plane needs to balance on the wing tube with the wings on and fuel in the header, retracts up. Check and tighten every screw on the retracts and lube them well The nose wheel gear door on mine was a PIA to start with. would cause the nose gear to hang. Ripping the door off and putting it in my tool box fixed that. I have bought some BVM metal door hinges and will retry it this winter.

Plane flys well but has a couple of quirks due to the high thrust line of the motor. The nose sticks hard until there is enough speed to rotate so the take off roll is long. About 400-500 ft minimum on grass and not much shorter on asphalt. This also affects trim changes when varying speed. A throttle to elevator mix will help some but its not a big deal. Lands nice just keep a little flair going as long as you can or it might try to porpoise a time or twelve. I enjoy mine.

click here for a couple of pics at Georgia Jets (thanks Jorge and Karen!!)
http://escaviation.photoshelter.com/...00Qk.oRWV2PJk/

A couple of pics at the First in Flight Jet Meet in Wilson, NC under the Tar Heel R/C flyers tent where it first maidend and won the best civilian award ( of course their was only two other civilian jets there, but hey take em how you can!!)

Take care
mike

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39646.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	1709357   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10218.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	1709358  
Old 01-04-2012, 05:09 AM
stuka

Thanks Mike for the info. I was going to run a P-80 and JR 8411s on the flight surfaces, 9411 for steering. I have all this equipment in a PST Reaction that I will probably sell after the removal of the equipment. What electronics were you running in yours? Did you need any extra nose weight? Did you modify anything during the build or now that you have a few flights? Thanks again for your help. I want to make sure I have as much info before I order it. I got a quote on it yesterday from BVM and the shipping alone is 485.00.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:15 AM
Zagzoo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: stuka

Thanks Mike for the info. I was going to run a P-80 and JR 8411s on the flight surfaces, 9411 for steering. I have all this equipment in a PST Reaction that I will probably sell after the removal of the equipment. What electronics were you running in yours? Did you need any extra nose weight? Did you modify anything during the build or now that you have a few flights? Thanks again for your help. I want to make sure I have as much info before I order it. I got a quote on it yesterday from BVM and the shipping alone is 485.00.
Check this out before you start building:

My Start of building thread:
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10290770/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm]BD Build[/link]

BD Mods:
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10634311/anchors_10634311/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#10634311]BD5 Mods[/link]
Old 01-06-2012, 05:04 AM
stuka

Thanks Frank Very valuable info. I know this has probably been asked but how is she flying now. Everything still the same or have you made some more changes. Thanks in advance. Keith
Old 01-07-2012, 05:17 AM
Zagzoo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: stuka

Thanks Frank Very valuable info. I know this has probably been asked but how is she flying now. Everything still the same or have you made some more changes. Thanks in advance. Keith

Still flying good.. all dialed in!! No other changes.

Frank
Old 01-24-2016, 03:54 AM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm helping a friend with his xtreme jets BD5. we actually moved the front stab locator holes to allow us to 0 out the stabs with the wing. it had 2 degrees of positive incidence in the stabs giving it a lot of down elevator . also we used loctite EA E-20HP adhesive to bond the stabs to the fuse. how did you guys prep the fuse/stabs for gluing? WB_1