Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JetCat P-90RXi details

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JetCat P-90RXi details

Old 01-06-2013, 01:54 PM
ricardinho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: JetCat P-90RXi details

this is awesome stuff here!!! go purple
Old 01-06-2013, 02:51 PM
Justflying1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes this is defiantly good for as long as you can service it yourself if a solenoid valve or pump is not working.
Has anyone bothered tothink about what I said previous about the filter. This is the only thing I don’t like.
It would be good to heir what Jetcat have to say about this possible issue.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:02 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 731 Likes on 527 Posts

ORIGINAL: Justflying1

I never realized the filter is inside the turbine.
This is a big downer for this turbine.
What are you supposed to do pull the the turbine out to get to the rear cover every time you want to clean the filter.
Has anyone read the manual to see what the filter clean intervals should be. If its like all the other turbines this is a massive downer.
I guess one way around it is to install another filter on the outside to keep the one inside the cover as clean as possible which would mean less pulling apart.
If you fuel system allows crud into this filter you have other issues. I have NEVER cleaned a filter on my models, I have engines way past 50 hours on the same filter.... Around 10 years ago I took some filters apart after 2 seasons flying and I could not detect anything other than a change in colour on the filter element. I multi filter the fuel from the can into the models. I clean the fuel tanks before installation....I'm not at all worried about the filter! I'd expect it to last until any factory service.

Regards

Dave
Old 01-06-2013, 03:16 PM
jason
My Feedback: (1)

I agree with Dave, as far as I'm concerned the filter in the fuel line to the engine is there just in case my four filters (inc the UAT) happen to let something through, this has never happened. Also Wrens have fitted filters behind the cover for about 10 years now.

Jason
Old 01-06-2013, 03:21 PM
Justflying1

Hello Dave,
I assure you that I don’t have any problems with my Fuel.
I only get JetA1 from my local airport store it in its own designated drum. I to clean my tanks before they go into the aircraft.
My fueling system before it goes into my plane has got a filter on the clunk and two filters on the main line. This would make my fuel filtered 3 times before it goes into my Jet tank.
I still however pull my Filter in my Jet every 20-25 flights and give it a rinse, bleed the system again and give it a go over.
Jetcat them selves on there P80SE manual state to clean the filter every 10 flights. Full stop this is what the factory is recommending.
It does not matter what you do or anyone else does which that includes me as well. If you are not following the recommendations you are not covered by warranty.
With all this said if Jetcat does not warrant if you remove the cover from the turbine, and want you to clean filter every 10 flights how is this going to be done and keep the warranty.
I assure you when something goes wrong all manufacturers will look to see if there recommendations have been followed. What happens if this does not happen. Guess what you loose your warranty.
Ivan
Old 01-06-2013, 03:26 PM
Justflying1

This is why I would like someone from Jetcat to clarify to everyone there recommendations on this engine regarding the filter and if we can change things like Valves and fuel pumps ourselves.
Unless its in writing for everyone and I to see from the manufacturer it will mean nothing.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:08 PM
Kenrico

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Just put a filter between the UAT and Turbine, then you know the one under the cover is not going to get dirty and you wont have to remove the cover. Problem solved. I think this engine is great and Gives people the ease of switching the turbine from one plane to the other.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:26 PM
Justflying1

I did mention this previously as something that could be done.
I would still like to heir Jetcat comment on this issue. When you look at the bigger picture you still have to wonder about Jetcat recommendations and how you are going to follow these recommendations otherwise, I can assure you that when something goes wrong this is one thing they can try and put the blame on.
I do like Jetcat engines and have a few including a P90 which is yet to be delivered but I never knew about the internal filter.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:44 PM
corndog2
Banned

Hello Dave,
I only get JetA1 from my local airport store it in its own designated drum. I to clean my tanks before they go into the aircraft.
My fueling system before it goes into my plane has got a filter on the clunk and two filters on the main line. This would make my fuel filtered 3 times before it goes into my Jet tank.
I still however pull my Filter in my Jet every 20-25 flights and give it a rinse, bleed the system again and give it a go over.
Jetcat them selves on there P80SE manual state to clean the filter every 10 flights. Full stop this is what the factory is recommending.
It does not matter what you do or anyone else does which that includes me as well. If you are not following the recommendations you are not covered by warranty.
With all this said if Jetcat does not warrant if you remove the cover from the turbine, and want you to clean filter every 10 flights how is this going to be done and keep the warranty.
I assure you when something goes wrong all manufacturers will look to see if there recommendations have been followed. What happens if this does not happen. Guess what you loose your warranty.
Ivan
I would not take much notice of the Jetcat Manual. It is hopelesly out of date
Old 01-07-2013, 06:56 AM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

Quote From Wilcox when I Ordered it," I don't know how they got so much power out if it". As far as the filter in 5 years of turbine flying I've never seen a single particle of dirt in the filter. I filter it before it goes in the jet. Something endorsed by my mentor Tom Cook. If the filter is an issue for you get one of 500 others available. For the rest of us. who believe in moving on, this is a Cool Turbine. Thanks Jetcat, Keep moving forward. My impression is how much larger it is than the P100-RX, Which is 100 N.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:43 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

P-100 is smaller. Much smaller.

All jet cats have had an internal filter. Put another one outside if you like. You are no worse or better off.

Questions on warranty should be directed to your dealer, just a suggestion.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:06 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 731 Likes on 527 Posts

Hello Dave,
Ivan
Ivan

I can assure you it does not affect the warrantee. I'll try and get some sense from JetCat, but the clean after 10 flights in 12 years old and so out of date. I would expect more issues from constantly breaking the joints! Anyway if you are not having issues and it works!
I can't remember what was said in the P-90 manual about filters, but I'm sure they don't expect it to need cleaning. Like Mr Matt says there has always been a "last chance" filter under the hood

Dave
Old 01-07-2013, 11:06 AM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

Something to be said for the fact: that the more places you cut the fuel line, the more places you could draw air. Just another thought... I think that Jetcat Both Germany and USA keep track of the common reoccurring problems that they could help with and are trying things to eliminate them. If it becomes a Bigger problem, you will see them disappear as fast as they came along...
Old 01-07-2013, 01:28 PM
Justflying1

Hello Everyone,
I got an email from Jetcat in Germany about my concerns.
For those who care here it is.

Dear Ivan,<o></o>

I assume you have one of the first manuals.<o></o>

Our experience shows that there is no need to clean this filter every 10 flights.<o></o>

This suffices at the 25 hour service.<o></o>

BTW the warranty wont avoid by remove the front cover, this is needed even in case the temperature sensor must be changed.<o></o>

I hope this can help you.<o></o>

Best regards<o></o>

Udo Töpfer<o></o>

Old 01-07-2013, 01:30 PM
Justflying1

Don’t know why that Silly face next to my name came up it was not there in the Email
My apologies for any inconvenience
Ivan
Old 03-21-2013, 06:44 PM
SECRET AGENT
My Feedback: (18)

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong about this, but I was always told that the filter between the pump and the turbine was to catch any debris that may come from the pump (shavings, pump slowly degrading etc), not necessarily just for the possibility of dirty fuel (although it would work for that as well).

Isn't the filter even on the P-90 after the pump?
Old 03-21-2013, 06:58 PM
Justflying1

Yes the filter is after the pump. I received my one last week and had a look.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:49 AM
lxfly

ORIGINAL: Kenrico

Just put a filter between the UAT and Turbine, then you know the one under the cover is not going to get dirty and you wont have to remove the cover. Problem solved. I think this engine is great and Gives people the ease of switching the turbine from one plane to the other.
Please note that Jetcat says not to put a supplemental filter on the suction side. As the pump is now in the engine you also may have longer fuel tubes from the UAT to the pump; think on using 6mm tube instead of the normal 4mm. Unfortunately i just could make a successful testrun at -2°C in January before putting it in my Futura, but since october the weather didn't allow us to fly on our airfield to test it.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:59 AM
Justflying1

Thank you for sharing that advice.
I will run 6mm from the bubble trap to engine.
Was not going to run a filter on suction side for the reason Jetcat and yourself mentioned. I do run JetA1 and filters on the Fuel supply so this should be sufficient.
After all every time I check the filters they always seem clean to me.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:55 AM
Carbon-Customs

regarding the thrust...

remember its 105N at ISA

use this and you should get it right: http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_da.htm

if you test your turbine at lower temp than 20 degrees, then you will get more thrust at sea level... but it still only performs 105N at 20 degrees at sealevel called ISA
Old 03-22-2013, 05:07 AM
Bravo77

Funny thing so many engines in the same or similiar thrust class P80 P90 P100 . WHY. If I were to buy myself a P90 how much would that change my flying versus a P80Se. It is a question I have been battling with for sometime since I started eying the P90 which I really wanted to buy

Jetcat is fantastic in producing great engines , and I do enjoy them , The point in question here is if I have a p90 installed I would be longer at full power consuming a lot of fuel versus a larger engine . This is what I mean by choice . It would have been nice to see the P90 producing around 27 to 29lbs of thrust with the same specs. This is just my opinion and it came about because of this choice I need to make in buying my next engine. I got turned off when I could not get an honest answer as to what the the thrust of the P90 really is. 23 /25 or what .

Old 03-22-2013, 05:32 AM
siclick33

If I had a P80SE then I wouldn't upgrade it to a P90RXi, especially if it was Kerostart.

However, I am currently building a BVM Mig 15 and I have all the parts (bypass/pipe etc) to fit it with a P80/P120. I did buy a P100 for it before the P90RXi was released but space is at a premium and the benefit of the simpler installation by having the pump under the cover, and also having the same mounting dimensions as a P80, mean that I will be using a P90 instead. The fact that the P90 is cheaper than the P100 is an added bonus.

I think the Jetcat range is quite good with a lot of the market covered; P20, P60, P90, P100 and P140 are all different and all have their pros and cons. If you want to upgrade a P80SE and want significantly more power then you can always go for a P140RX.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:47 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Squirrelboyblue

I got turned off when I could not get an honest answer as to what the the thrust of the P90 really is. 23 /25 or what .
I think you will find that JetCat have always said it was 105N It was only on this thread that a few ill informed people started the confusion.

Mike
Old 03-22-2013, 10:47 AM
Carbon-Customs

hmm jetcat makes far to many turbines...

its funny with the jetcat engines..

p20rx, p60se, p80se, p90rxi, p100rx, 140rx, 180rx, 200sx, p300RX and the P400RX

those i have marked with red shouldent be in production today... WHY should you ever want a P140rx???

name one that really is needed?
Old 03-22-2013, 11:13 AM
siclick33

In my opinion the P60SE is overdue an upgrade. It needs to use the V10 ECU and, unless they squeeze some more power out of it, it needs a price drop. There would be a place in the market for this engine if it was updated to current standards.

Is the P80SE still available? I was under the impression that production of this engine had ceased and the P90RXi was the replacement.

I've explained in my post above a couple of reasons why you might want a P90RXi instead of a P100RX. There must be a market for this engine as I am going to buy one eventually

WHY should you ever want a P140rx???
I agree if the price was the same as the P180RX but the P140RX is significantly cheaper. One solution might be for Jetcat to drop the price of the P180RX and stop production of the P140RX but that is never going to happen.

p.s. ISA standard temperature is 15 degrees C

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.