Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Paint Gun Recommendations, Rivets & Panel lines???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Paint Gun Recommendations, Rivets & Panel lines???

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 04:33 AM
Jetfan20
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Gun Recommendations, Rivets & Panel lines???

Hi All,

I'm considering a project that would require painting, panel lines and raised rivets redone. This would be my first at all three.

My question are:

What do you guys recommend for a paint gun? What should I know about the painting process?

What are some of the techniques for panel lines and rivets?

Thanks in Advance!
Old 12-21-2012, 04:55 AM
mirce

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: Paint Gun Recommendations, Rivets & Panel lines???

Check here, you will find all answers...

www.nsmodelers.rs

Regards

Mirce
Old 12-21-2012, 12:23 PM
ChuckC
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On spray guns - depends on your budget and the size of your project and your compressor output. Oh and the type of paint and your painting facilities.

I have several; a Binks GT2000 (I think - it's been too long).
An Astro touch-up gun; it's really, really nice for the price and very high quality.
Harbor freight HVLP gravity fed - whatever their "top of the line" is. I use this for primer and less critical paint processes.

All of the above are gravity fed, with the cup on top; uses a lot less paint and tends to spray better for me. They are also HVLP, which means a lot of air at low pressure - bigger compressor needed. If you're going all out, then you really should have a good, large air filter in-line and a smaller one at the gun.

There's just a ton more information and a few excellent painters here (myself NOT included - I paint, just not excellently). I've actually got automotive quality paint jobs out of the Harbor Freight guns, just not as easy as the Binks or Astro. Binks was over $200, I think and the Astro was upper $100's. The HF one is like sub $50 before coupons.

If you're going to invest in a tool, this is really not a place to scrimp - you'll enjoy the higher quality guns so much more. If you're trying to get by and you don't have a big compressor, then the HF touch-up gun may work for you. You'll need some practice to set it up, but it's not horribly difficult. I love to paint and buff/detail it. Something majical about pulling the tape and paper off to reveal your masterpiece - uh that is, if you don't mess it up...
Old 12-21-2012, 01:43 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a small, 5 gallon Craftsman quiet compressor (could use it indoors) and I paint with this:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/2008647...Types&var=sbar

I can paint a 1/8th size F-16 model easily, and it shoots so good! makes me look so much better than I am. Really good for clear too, and holds settings very well. Its really good value for the money.

David
Old 12-21-2012, 07:48 PM
ChuckC
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, yeah that's a really nice gun for $100. Sharpe is good stuff. Can't believe it's that cheap. You can spray some of these guns with a smaller compressor by cranking up the pressure to compensate. They just aren't "HVLP" anymore. But they usually atomize great, still.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:11 PM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

SATA MiniJet HVLP for me

my 2c