Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Skymaster/ XTreme new A-10 1/7.75 scale

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Skymaster/ XTreme new A-10 1/7.75 scale

Old 08-08-2015, 09:34 PM
Robzylla
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can anyone provide a JR servo list for this build? Have read rcgroups thread on aileron servo issues encountered. Just want to know what has worked for guys.
Thanks! Rob
Old 08-09-2015, 07:12 AM
bidrseed2
My Feedback: (2)

BVM flew their EDF one of grass. Ive managed to rip the undercarriage out the wing on mine, and since reinforced the crap chinese ply they used. Im not sure I'm brave enough to fly mine of grass now. It would have to be really smooth. Ive even managed to bend the retract side frames another time. Maybe i should learn how to land properly.

I used JR 8411 on the flaps and elevator. I used 8711 on the ailerons and the variable voltage 3421 servo ( can't recall its number- NX something) on the nose gear and the rudders.

If i was building again, Id used 9411 MG on the elevator and flaps, 8711 on ailerons and the same servos again on the rudder and nose gear.

I used VT 80 engines, using p80 just wouldn't work as I'm already a the limit of how much nose weight you really want to add- 1 kg in my case.
From what i hear, 60N engines aren't quite enough when you add stores and pylons, and 80N engines are sufficiently heavier that you need to add nose weight to balance them out. Im not sure what the best solution for this model is. (probably EDF as has been suggested above)

Having said that, if i was to crash it tomorrow i'd definitely order another turbine one the next day.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:06 AM
Robzylla

Thank you for info birdseed2!! I am intending to power with Kingtech 60's. Hope it is enough.Maybe need to look at 80's? Had thought about EDF but sure like the smell of kerosine! I will reinforce wing rails during build up. A few other questions- was it a difficult fit on rudder servos? Did you incorporate a gyro? If not would you now? Using a Powerbox? Thoughts on converting landing gear to Down and Locked? Read on BVM website about wheel/brake upgrade. Apparently tires have been peeling off.
Thanks! Rob
Old 08-09-2015, 09:04 AM
bidrseed2

It will be difficult to reinforce the wing retract mounts during the build. I waited until mine were ripped out then built a box underneath to prevent future occurrences. Im not sure if other owners have had similar experiences.

Fitting the rudder servos was tricky, i had to use a 90 degree dremel attachment to squeeze the servo in- it was simply too tall. It fits but maybe next time a servo with side mounts might be better. From memory you'd struggle to screw it in anyway as the mounts will be below the hatch's level. I think i used a 90 degree mouning lug, like bvm's servo fitting pack and angled it up the way so the screw was in line with the servo horn. ( i know a pic would explain that better)
I have a powerbox royal SRS with the gyro. It makes the model much nicer to fly. It takes out most of the pitch power couple and makes rolls crisper. The model does suffer from adverse yaw which the gyro doesn't seem to do much about.
A clubfeet had the larger SM a-10 and reckons mine, albeit with the gyro, flies nicer than his. He was never happy with his-as he was never quite sure what it would do when you applied an input- e.g. would the roll rate be sufficient to complete a roll at low level, or would it drop its nose.
Due to finger trouble and general ineptitude, i one time took off with one engine at idle and the gyro in heading hold on the rudder. the plane felt strange and i brought it down early, but it wasn't until after i landed i knew the engine hadn't been running. The gyro had helped out massively. Im not sure how it would have worked if the rudder had been in normal mode, and i haven't been brave enough to try since.
I had the gear converted to electric by BVM and its worked as advertised. I also have the D&L conversion on my bandit and I'm a convert to electric.
I couldn't get the tyres to inflate consistently so got fed up with them and switched to intairco wheels with the xicoy electric brakes. The wheels are fine, and the brakes are good, but one does have more braking action than the other and I've been unable to trouble shoot the reason.
A mate gave me a set of wheels from another similar size A-10 kit and now that i have a lathe and milling machine, Im going to see if i can make them fit- they are more scale than the intairco ones.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:08 AM
bidrseed2

Oh and i should have said, with the 3.4L of fuel and VT 80 engines, i have 6 minutes of flying and land with around 30% fuel. If i was building again, Id fit another 'overflow tank' below the main tanks to give me a bit more capacity. I think, would be wrong that another K60 equipped plane also flew only for 6 minutes. Given the work to get the aircraft ready to fly, i usually feel Im due slightly more flight time.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:19 AM
Robzylla

With the VT80's how much nose welght is needed?
Old 08-09-2015, 09:36 AM
Rliebl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Nick

BITTE ;-)
Old 08-09-2015, 11:47 AM
Robzylla

sorry disregard! just re-read you previous post. ! kg- Not sure what best power to go with. Anyone have any input?
Thank! Rob
Old 08-10-2015, 08:02 AM
totono
My Feedback: (12)

Hi can some one tell me how many liters of fuel on each tank,I am using jet cat P-60SE and made my maiden,landing was 5 minutes later and almost no jul on the tanks.
I used full power only for take off the rest of the flight was at approximately 110,000rmp that is 60%power more or less,the jet fly very good it is like a trainer very soft and smooth not fast and lands very easy
Thanks
Old 08-11-2015, 06:11 PM
bidrseed2

Re fuel tank quantity, see my most above.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:56 PM
robertocasti10

i have just finished my turbine A10. have not maiden yet. used 2 k60 turbines have heard its enough power. mine balanced with gas in uat is weighing 35pounds. does anybody have recomendations for maiden? jet uses about 8pounds of fuel so at take off should weigh 43 lbs and dont know if 2 k60s are enough
Old 01-13-2016, 12:35 PM
Achillesfilho

Hi.
I need pics and details of ruders and elevator linkage.
Can anyone help me, please ?
Thanks.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:40 PM
bri6672
My Feedback: (6)

I'm making up my own control arm for the rudders to keep them internal but I think I'm going external on the elevators based on feedback from a friend.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:16 PM
Jeremy_D

Here is some footage of my friends SM A-10 with 2 x VT80BL. He also modified his build and used electron retracts. It flies great.

NB: Video footage was from a GoPro strapped to my hat so there are a few parts where you can't see the jet that well but it gets the take off and landing as well as some low passes

https://youtu.be/jqzYo0TMvAs
Old 01-14-2016, 01:32 PM
Achillesfilho

Very nice!
My project is with two KT 60.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:14 PM
blackbirdheli
My Feedback: (114)

Hello,
just wondering if it is possible to build the A10 1/7.75 with 2x k100g turbine?
too much weight? will it be possible to get the correct CG?
Thank You!!!
Old 04-23-2016, 02:44 AM
josecilurzo

i think that you will have weight problems on nose!!!
we use 2 K60, and, needs around 900 g on nose, Phil Celima help us on CG, and, he had the same condition.

Jose
Old 04-23-2016, 02:50 AM
josecilurzo

I saw the weight of engines ( K60 X K100 ), the differencce is too much!!! 900 g on tail, well, you will needs 2kg or more on nose!!!

jose
Old 04-24-2016, 08:05 AM
Robzylla

I have a friend doing a build and very near done. It was actually mine and sold it ti him un-started. He has K100's mounted and plummed. I tried to warn him about CG issues he would face! Should maiden in next month or so pending TX weather! Will inform of CG and results of maiden.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:32 AM
blackbirdheli
My Feedback: (114)

thank you guys
with the added weight in the nose, would that add too much weight for the 2x k100g?
I was planning to use it for the project and the more i read, the more i am concern about the CG.
Thank You!!!
Old 04-24-2016, 08:42 AM
Robzylla

Unfortunately from what I have read and researched, I don't think the 100's are going to work. I know there are guys who have used VT80's and had an excessive amount of nose weight needed. I know he is concerned about the CG and is trying to move things forward but there's not a lot of options in that airframe! I have only seen pictures of the build and not seen it in person as he is in Texas and I'm in California. I know many people are flying them just fine on K60's
Old 05-20-2016, 04:59 PM
Robzylla

Okay after installing K100's its gonna require 2lbs in the nose! OUCH!!
Old 05-24-2016, 02:53 PM
Nick Yuhasz
My Feedback: (11)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just finishing my turbine version with two, new JetCentral Bee80 SE turbines. I wasn't planning on gluing the engine pods to the fuselage; just attach with the single 3mm screw. My assumption is that the large carbon fiber rods take all of the force rearward from the engines.

Did you guys glue your pods to the fuselage? Thoughts?

Thanks

Nick
Old 05-25-2016, 12:23 AM
bidrseed2

I didn't glue mine, but I used 3 or 4 bolts to attach it.
hope that helps.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:29 AM
scaryxxl

Hi there
Can someone show me some pics how you can transport in your car?
I want to know if this plane will fit into my car and I don't know how many pieces can I take out to fit it into you car...
thanks a lot.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.