Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Any King tech 180G reviews?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Any King tech 180G reviews?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 06:15 AM
Ragz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Any King tech 180G reviews?

Any reviews for the kingtech 180g? I am considering getting one for a nice scale project.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:40 AM
HAMMERDOWN
My Feedback: (100)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Any King tech 180G reviews?

Barry was nice enough to let me try one in my Ultra Flash at BITW. It started perfectly even with some air bubbles in the lines and ran like a bat out of h*ll! No parameter changes were needed right out of the box. The UF had a K-170F before the change and the differance was very noticable. Ali was on the sticks so you know it was hammer down most of the flight. I bought one a few weeks later and am happy so far. My fleet now has four KT turbines and not one problem so far. I will make the switch to diesel next season when I run out of Jet-A. My only other turbine is a Wren powered Bergen Heli and since it's out of warranty, it will also make the switch to big rig fuel. I'm not saying KT is better than the others (I like them all) but after running them for over two years, they are as advertized and work well for me so far.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:39 AM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

ORIGINAL: HAMMERDOWN
I'm not saying KT is better than the others...
Well I say it is
Old 12-30-2012, 11:45 AM
Aerotrimwingbagz

From what i have been told the 180g is a awsome turbine i have one on its way from Als hobbies jet centre and look forward to using it in my sky master f16 ,I also have a Jetcat rx180 so will see how it compares  so keep a eye out for some posts soon
Old 12-30-2012, 12:04 PM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I am on flight number 14 with mine and from start one to flight number 14 it has been flawless! One small adjustment to increase the start time out delay ( The initial ignition and ramp up is so soft and smooth takes a little longer than the factory set delay allowed )
So far I do not have a single negative to mention about using the 180.
Regards Al
Old 12-30-2012, 12:08 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Sounds like my experience with kingtech turbine. The part i like is if u get air bubbles its not automatic shutdown.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:49 PM
Ali

Thats funny you should say that.. I was not aware of this, but on Friday I was testing my newly installed smoke system and forgot that I had removed the turbine to install it. To do so I drained all of the fuel from the model plus I disconnected my lines from tank to turbine. I could see a bunch of air bubbles in the system when I fired up, and thought we were looking at a shut down for sure. It did indeed splutter a few times on the run ups to full power, but didn't once cut. After the initial run ups and shakes it didn't miss a beat! Its been windy as hell here the past week, and I have flown the KT180 8 times. Many times it has been so quiet that I thought it had cut. A few times I remember thinking how that particular moment would be a really bad place to be deadstick. Much to my relief everything was fine, and towards the end of toady, I found myself just having faith in the turbine running when I most needed it.... I guess this is what comes from flight after flight of trouble free and faultless operation.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:30 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

True stories...

At KY 2011, my F-15 was so fun to fly with all the ordnance on with the K170, that tried to run it out of gas. I had just upgraded from a P-80SE (which was a FABULOUS engine already for this bird) and hadn't reset my timer for the higher burn rate. Suddenly, I start hearing what I thought was my pipe collapsing and came down for a mayday landing. For a whole circuit, it made that awful noise and I'm picturing the engine cooking all my electronics along with the inside of the fuse. Turns out it was just a long string of bubbles in the line, but the engine didn't quit. I was used to one bubble and BAM, but it kept sputtering and coughing but stayed lit!
Old 12-30-2012, 03:53 PM
califlyguy
My Feedback: (11)

I Have two KT 180G and have switched them over to Diesel with no problems at all. Runs nice and smooth plus less noise than the other companies.

Plus you cant beat the tech support you get. Ihave been able to get ahold of Barry or Dirk any time with questions.

Clay
Old 12-30-2012, 08:13 PM
Jack Diaz
My Feedback: (1)

I have 10 flights on mine, and my friend Carlos Degwitz has 15 flights on his.
So far they have worked flawlessly.
Even though we are flying at about 5000 ft density altitude, the throttle response is great.

Jack
Old 12-31-2012, 03:58 AM
kasi122

Hi,

i always hear good things about the king tech turbines, and think of buying one.
The problem is that i am from austria and i think in europe it is very difficult to get that service, than you guys in the US ?
Does anyone have experience with service in europe is ther any?

kind regards
Andi
Old 12-31-2012, 04:13 AM
Ali

Hi Andi

I understand your concerns with servicing, but in my experience... Unless the turbine is being serviced in the same country as the owner, or the turbine can be hand delivered to the factory... The delays in shipping are not that far apart. Example.... For me to get a KT back to the factory takes me just 2 days longer than it does a turbine being serviced in Europe.
This small delay in shipping is easily offset by the factories turnaround time in making the service/ repair. So far I have not had to send a KT back to either the USA or Taiwan for service, so cant comment personally on turn around times, but it is something that I have spoken to with existing King Tech users as it is important to me as a turbine user and of course as a seller. All of the response I have hard have been exceptional.
Our shipping rates for small boxes with international couriers are quite good right now. Example. To ship a turbine size box to Germany we have it down to £25.00 ( one way ) To Taiwan and the USA I have quotes of £40.00 and £50.00 fully insured.
I am looking at trying to help support any King Tech users across Europe, so would be happy to offer our shipping services to anyone with any size of King Tech turbine, no matter where they are, or who they purchased from.
Also I think Barry will chime in soon, as he was telling me of a really quite exceptional service that the guys at King Tech are offering regards returning turbines for warranty work, and how they can get the end user back up in the air even quicker than ever before.
Regards Al
Old 12-31-2012, 08:18 PM
marquisvns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Happy New Year guys, and thank you all so much for your support!

Ali, thank you for offering your generous discounted shipping rate for the customers.
Not that we need to use it much , but as with warranty repairs, we do have replacement engines available to minimize downtime.

Cheers,
Barry
Old 12-31-2012, 09:18 PM
Ragz

Happy new year guys.  

So do these engine have to go to either USA or Taiwan ONLY? for service?  From India sending to USA maybe easier I reckon.  After reading such positive reviews I am very tempted to order one instantly for my AW Cougar.

Cheers
Old 12-31-2012, 09:29 PM
marquisvns

Hi Anurag, Taiwan should be much closer to India than US, however, if for some reason US is easier, we will be happy to assist you here, and love to see a K-180G pushing a AW Cougar.

Regards,
Barry
Old 12-31-2012, 11:11 PM
Ragz

Can we use regular automotive diesel in this engine?
Old 01-01-2013, 05:11 AM
rolsen12

BUY ONE.......
Old 01-01-2013, 09:07 AM
FenderBean

yelp
ORIGINAL: Ragz

Old 01-01-2013, 09:20 AM
kevinthoele
My Feedback: (1)

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Flown one in a friends boomer and it is a great engine. He is becoming a new jet pilot and should be ready to get his waiver soon. I have 4 Kingtech motors and they are wonderful
Old 01-02-2013, 11:48 AM
c_makhija

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any idea what's the idle thrust on the 180. Could detune a 180 to 140 and use it on my UF. A friend of mine had a K 170 on his classic flash and it was a handful to land with its high idle.

Chatty.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:38 PM
marquisvns

ORIGINAL: Ragz

Not a problem, according to Wiki here's Diesel standards in India:

India
Delhi first introduced ULSD on April 1, 2010 as a step aimed at curbing vehicular pollution in the capital.
The sulphur content in the diesel being used previously was 350 parts per million (ppm) while it will be 15 ppm in ULSD.[20]

At 15 ppm of sulfur since 2010 your Diesel is as clean as it gets, should be much lower Sulfur content than K-1 Kero here in the US, which is up to 400 ppm.

More on this subject:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-low-sulfur_diesel

Regards,
Barry
Old 01-02-2013, 01:45 PM
marquisvns

ORIGINAL: c_makhija

Any idea what's the idle thrust on the 180. Could detune a 180 to 140 and use it on my UF. A friend of mine had a K 170 on his classic flash and it was a handful to land with its high idle.

Chatty.
Yes, you can safely lower idle down to 32,000 or even 31,000. You may want to increase deceleration delay a bit to make sure RPM doesn't undershot more than a thousand. If this still doesn't help, perhaps check CG, cuz I have seen guys with 180 in UF landing it nice and slow.

Barry
Old 01-02-2013, 03:53 PM
jetnuno

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi

Happy New year to all.

Couple of questions:

1 - I have used JC and Merlins so far and to my knowledge, it is not recommended to use diesel fuel in JC (Merlin allows diesel fuel). Why is it possible in other brands like KT and Merlin? Is it because the combustion chamber is made of SS?

2 - Why does the K180 keep running with airbubbles? Is it because the combustion chamber as an higher thermal inercia?

These plus regarding other brands are good to know, but what is the technical reason?

Regards

Nuno
Old 01-02-2013, 03:55 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

can't wait for the k-200!
Old 01-02-2013, 04:00 PM
FenderBean

Me to
ORIGINAL: DiscoWings

can't wait for the k-200!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.