Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How to get flameout diagnostics from a Gaspar ECU?

Hello,

I was helping a guy today with flameout problems and I could not find the "off condition" or flameout diagnostics using the handheld device. I was using the only online reference I could find which I think was for a Gaspar version 6 ECU.

Thanks in advance,
    Matt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: How to get flameout diagnostics from a Gaspar ECU?

Matt, press the down arrow and power up the ECU. It will display the last off condition/fault. You only have 1 chance to do this. If you have cycled the power more than one, you're S.O.L. After that, you'll need the computer interface. At least that was how it was the last time I had a Gaspar. Maybe it's different now?
    \"somewhere between the port of indecision and southeast of disorder\"

That's not correct and never have been like this.

The ecu remember the cause and readings of last shutdown forever, until a new star/stop cycle replace the data from previous run.

To check the cause of last power down, if the engine has not been run since, just power the ecu and press the first button on left side, the data will be show during 2 seconds after las keypress, just press the button as many times you need to read the information. Stick and trim should be to OFF condition (trim Low on screen). Cause, rpm, egt and pump power are displayed.

If the engine has been run, then it is necessary to download the data trough a computer, the ecu store the measures of last 50 minutes of engine run time, a set of data each 0.5s, independently of how many times it has been started.
    Gaspar
    Owner of: www.xicoy.com Partner of:www.jets-munt.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Gaspar. I swear we tried that but I must have been doing something wrong.

BTW what is the difference between the diagnostic messages "LowRPM" and "Flameout"? I mean in terms of what to troubleshoot?

Thanks,
    Matt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gaspar,
    I have one of your USB download cables but I can not find the correct drivers for my Windows 7 laptop, do you have drivers for this?

Additionally I can not get the drivers from your web site to load on my Windows XP desktop computer any help would be appreciated.
    Rich
    The New Jet Central Rhino SP, Cheetah, & Super Eagle owner

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here are pages from the Jet Central Cheetah manual which covers diagnostics
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Rich

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Also a question on Gasparยดs ECU is something strange that happened with my Rhino some time ago. The turbine is operating ok, but when I plug the data display it shows almost all the messages with scrambled characters...why this happens and what could cause this?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

erbroens
    If you unplugged the cable and replugged it, did the display come back to normal?

I had an issue where I plugged in my HDT and it would show the display then it would slowly fade away, I found a bad 0.1uf ceramic decoupling capacitor on the circuit board that had internally shorted, when I replaced it the display came back to life.
    Rich

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thx, I tried, but it stills shows strange characters. Is interesting that the menus are working.. the scrambled characters are shown only in the messages.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: RCISFUN

Here are pages from the Jet Central Cheetah manual which covers diagnostics
    Thanks Rich. I guess my question is what is the differential diagnoses given a "LowRPM" versus a "Flameout" (low temperature). Does one diagnoses point in a different direction than the other? Pump, broken needles, RPM undershoot, etc. etc. This guy has had 3 flameouts (last one was a really close call) and we want to leave no stone unturned.

Are these ECUs all the same for the different brand turbines?
    Matt

"Flameout" mean that the EGT has dropped below the minimum temperature, that is 100C by default, but can be changed by the engine manufacturer. "LowRPM" mean that the RPM had fallen below a minimum, that again, is factory adjustable.

On engine flameouts typically the reason given is the "LowRpm", because RPM fall faster than EGT. On a "LowRPM" shutdown the causes could be several, from a air bubble to a RPM sensor failure, in these cases is important to read the other measures displayed by the ecu. If you see, for example that the RPM displayed is zero, then the problem is sure a faulty RPM sensor, but if the RPM displayed are 1000rpm below the minimum, then we know that's not a RPM measure problem, that RPM had been decreasing until below minimum. Same with Flameout message. a reading of 0C mean an faulty thermocouple, while a reading slightly below minimum mean a genuine low temperature condition (usually a loose TC that slip out of place). Also you have the reading of pump power, if the pump was powered and running at a setting much higher than the read rpm, but the readings of RPM and EGT where below normal, we can assume that there is something bad outside the ecu in the fuel side, either electrical (pump and valve, including connections) or fuel side (bubbles, etc). In these cases, I reccomend a in deep check of all connections, plus to run the engine at idle at tap/move all items (ecu, pump, valves..), leads and tubes to check if there is a sesitive element.

Also it is important the context of the flameout, if it happened in acceleration, deceleration, steady, inverted flight, etc. If there is a problem in the combustion chamber, it will more probabilly show in transitory regimes than in steady run. if flameout happen in inverted flight, then is another cause.

Hope this helps. BTW, all of this apply only to the diagnostic messages. Always after a run and shutdown, and before the ecu power is switched off, if the ecu is commanded to RUN (raising the throttle at idle or over it) , the ecu will display a steady message of "Flameout" or "LowRPM" indicating that it is in "run mode" (meaning that it had a successful start) but that can't continue running due at low rpm or low temperature condition.

To Erbroens, if the problem you have is the same as with other data terminal, then it looks that the memory where the texts are stored in the ecu is corrupted.

Gaspar
    Owner of: www.xicoy.com Partner of:www.jets-munt.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gaspar thanks very much for your time.

After what you have written I am thinking uneven combustion (it quit during a throttle transition in the landing pattern) the owner is working to get the data downloaded now I believe.
    Matt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gaspar
    Do you have a response to post #5 above?

Regards
    Rich

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: RCISFUN

Gaspar
    Do you have a response to post #5 above?

Regards
    Yes please.