Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Skymaster Mig-29 OVT Single with S-bus Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Skymaster Mig-29 OVT Single with S-bus Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 08:51 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey man good luck. I'd be nervous with that pipe you got in there too. Tam makes good stuff though so it should be ok?

I had to dissassemble all my struts as they "suck" themselves up after time, very wierd. Took them apart as dubd said and put them back together.
I cut the crap out of my wing servo pockets, going to have to make custom covers for it.

One major issue I am having is one of the intake tanks, the formers seem off. The bottom of the gear door hits the tank when it opens/closts. So I have been using a dremel on the tank formers and had to sand a small part of my gear door away. Now when it closes there is small gap but I dont want to chance it getting hung up. The other side fit well and needs no adjustment so I know its not anything I am doing wrong.

Another headack is the left gear's wood mounts have a nasty sqeak or "irk" when I roll the jet around. Hysoled it didnt do anything. The wood can flex slightly and I think it is rubbing on the wing mount's wood on the inside of the fuse. I am certain there is not a borken former but I am worried the plywood is delaminating somewhere I cant see it. I will get that solved but I can the formers are well glued in now.

Its amazing the little problems that come up can sit a maiden back quite a ways. I meant to fly it 2 weeks ago! A couple days here and there fixing stuff that was done wrong.

Finally, my main gear doors dont always close. The geometry sucks on them, I know someone had a fix will look over the thread again. But in the end may have to have a spring help to start them closing or a way to keep the door from over extending the joint in the gear hinges.

I am shooting for first week in May to maiden.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:32 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Dantley, Would you consider twins this time? I know you feel hexed by them, but if I could do it over, I would have probably chose twin 140's. I am leary of the 180 having enough juice with the bifurcated pipe robbing some of the thrust. Find out this weekend.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:12 AM
sysiek
My Feedback: (176)

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Good luck with the maiden flight and post some pictures of and maybe even a video.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:46 PM
mhadjiky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed
Old 04-12-2014, 11:50 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd still get a single and use a 200n engine. You lose a lot of thrust with the pipe, but the 180 will be enough for good performance.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:55 PM
mhadjiky

I will use one Kingtech 180 on my mig29.
Our runway is 210m x 14m paved runway plus 40m unpaved extension.
What is your opinion?
Old 04-13-2014, 03:52 AM
jan.z

Hi guys
I have a question about the GC you guys using in airplane(mig 29, skymaster )
can you guys tell me what your CG In this airplane ?
Old 04-13-2014, 06:44 AM
dubd

Kingtech 180 will be fine. I still think a 200 is the best single for this plane.

I used the CG from the manual.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:10 AM
jan.z

Thanks dubd
I think you're right about the engine, I fly mine with P 180
do you Flying with VT ?
Old 04-13-2014, 01:11 PM
sysiek

Hi did you have chance to maiden the mig-29 today? I hope if yes all was good.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:26 PM
DrScoles

Plane is gone. Rudder flutter at half throttle. Just got it trimmed, doing race track pattern. Rolled into runway about 45 degree angle. Pretty spectacular fireball, near full of fuel. Maybe a few servos survived. I'll post pics later. Check your rudders boys. The ultra bandit and avanti maidens went well.

several people watching plane was close everyone agreed on cause.

Last edited by DrScoles; 04-13-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:55 PM
sysiek

Wow I'm so sorry that happen to you the mig was you baby and take so long to build + all the problems with the airframe and pipe build ,will check my rudders and reinforce the weak spots !same happen to mi friend su-27 one rudder brake of in Kentucky jets lucky the jet survive and landed with one rudder .
Old 04-13-2014, 06:04 PM
DUCMOZ

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Mike's plane was going straight and normal with I would say less than half speed that is capable of. Then, the whole fin started violently shaking (I could only see the right fin) and then the plane rolled and went in. This was a massive flutter.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:05 PM
dubd

Very sorry to hear that your MIG crashed. Any idea what caused the flutter?
Old 04-13-2014, 06:06 PM
cigartoyz

that totally sucks.....sorry for the loss.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:21 PM
cigartoyz

was there play in the rudder?
Old 04-13-2014, 06:52 PM
essyou35

Sorry for the loss. If it makes you feel any better (probably wont) I get to learn from this and try to keep mine from doing it.

It sounds like this was not a rudder issue to me but a vert stab issue? As in maybe the vert stab was going to come off?
Old 04-14-2014, 05:23 AM
cigartoyz

Originally Posted by essyou35
Sorry for the loss. If it makes you feel any better (probably wont) I get to learn from this and try to keep mine from doing it.

It sounds like this was not a rudder issue to me but a vert stab issue? As in maybe the vert stab was going to come off?
How is the vert stab attached? Hysol or just screwed in?
Old 04-14-2014, 07:02 AM
essyou35

Dr Scoles, is there a chance you can tell us how you attached your vert stabs? Also can you let us know how you installed your servs for the rudders. What servos and did you glue the mount blocks to both sides of the stab or just 1?

My stabs are very thin and the servo has little to push against. I had to fill it up with hysol 1" on both sides to spread the load of the block becuase the servo can move in the fin due to it being so thin.

What that means is when I glued my blocks in on one side only, I could move the rudder without the servo doing any travel, but the rudder would move as the fin walls would "give".
Old 04-14-2014, 08:04 AM
DrScoles

​posted a long reply last night and promptly hit "reply to thread" instead of post. ughh.

The vertical stab is held in by a carbon shaft and a 4mm bolt. Last night, I was second guessing and wondering if I didn't tighten the bolts enough, checked this morning, they were. I was putting around at half throttle, I think I did one roll…LOL I remember wiggling the fin right to left and knowing there was small amount of flex, don't have knowledge to know if that was normal or not.

For those of you who have read this whole thread, this plane has had problems from day one. It was just flimsy. I had to add carbon and fiberglass all over the place just so I could handle it without putting my thumb through the fuse. Dantley told me to reinforce the lower nacelles, if I hadn't done that, the stand would have cracked the bottom of the fuse. It was gorgeous and I really wanted to make it work.

I'm out $13K or so, but to be honest, its somewhat of a relief. I maidened three planes yesterday, one of them being an ultra bandit. I wasn't nervous flying that plane, I was shaking in my boots flying the mig. I just didn't trust this airframe, had thoughts of stripping it and getting rid of it. Now its in the garbage can. Lesson learned, I think I will stick with BVM and kits from europe for now.

The landing gear may have survived, not sure how. $2k worth of servos, hope to salvage a few of them. Everything else went in the garbage. There wasn't a single wire or fitting worth saving. What the impact didn't destroy, the fire did. No video, picture Dantley's F-14 going in, very similar…. mushroom cloud and lots of fire. Turned most of the plane into confetti.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:21 AM
essyou35

Any comment on how you installed the rudder servo? My rudders servos could physically move inside the fin as the fin is so thin.

Did your TV nozzles survive? I might be interested in anything you have left.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:05 AM
DrScoles

Any comment on how you installed the rudder servo? My rudders servos could physically move inside the fin as the fin is so thin.

Yes, they look ok, I will double check.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:01 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Damn Mike, bummed to hear, really wanted to come take pics
Old 04-14-2014, 02:46 PM
DrScoles

If you look in the beginning of the thread, there are pics of the rudder servo install. I made slotted blocks with the slot being close to the thickness of the servo tabs, and glued the servos in. They weren't budging. 4-40 dubro ball links. I had to break them out of the blocks this morning.

EDIT: I lied, there are no pics, I think I have a pic at home.

Last edited by DrScoles; 04-14-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:07 PM
essyou35

Ok thanks I didnt see any. My servos can move around alot at first as I just glued them to the skin on one side. I'm not trying to find the cause but rather ensure I dont get the same thing happening. So I guess in a way I want to find the cause so I can fix it! Flutter is like an invisible monster that seems to come out of nowhere with no way to stop it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.