Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

EDF Kits suitable for turbines

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

EDF Kits suitable for turbines

Old 01-12-2013, 05:55 AM
warbirdfanatic
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EDF Kits suitable for turbines

Hi Guys

Does anyone have a good list of EDF birds that are 1600mm or wider wingspan? I'm just thinking about converting an EDF kit for pure laziness, Hobbyking do a large F86 which looks like it would be good enough to convert or even make a mould from to put a 15lbs turbine in!
Or, if anyone has any links to free EDF plans or turbine plans that would also be handy!!!!
Old 01-12-2013, 06:27 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: EDF Kits suitable for turbines

Hobbytopgun Mig15

Really good performer but very slow to turn. When doing a 4 point roll as fast as you can it still takes the whole flight line. Knifedges comfortable too, but with alot of coupling. A little too big and flexes too much I think.

A couple of short clips of the Mig15 at 0:55, 2:30 and 5:25
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjKSvCu8ZAw[/youtube]

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10644917

Ready2fly Venom (turbine convertion kit are just about ready to ship)

Great flying plane which is a bit faster to turn and better for aerobatics. This is the best flying foamy I have tried.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kklzUigHeLU[/youtube]
Old 01-12-2013, 07:00 AM
ModellbauUK

I agree. The ReadyToFly Venom is a superb plane. They had a stand next to us at Jetpower and fitted P20 in one. Flew brilliantly.

The other EDF converted to Turbine worth considering is the Savex L39 fitted with a Wren44. These fly really well and there's loads of posts on RCU regarding this little beauty.

http://www.savex.cz/prod.php?lang=en&id=10

Ian

Old 01-12-2013, 07:03 AM
corndog2
Banned

Hobby King Mig 15 with P20 in it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MIfnaHiEl8

Ideal

Old 01-12-2013, 07:08 AM
corndog2
Banned

So how do you guys embed a youtube it wont seem to work for me ?
Old 01-12-2013, 07:17 AM
Robrow

ORIGINAL: corndog2

So how do you guys embed a youtube it wont seem to work for me ?
Click the YouTube button then paste the full link in the middle.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MIfnaHiEl8[/youtube]
Old 01-12-2013, 07:27 AM
corndog2
Banned

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MIfnaHiEl8[/youtube]

Now I got it. Mind you they wont play embedded on my computer odd that
Old 01-12-2013, 08:51 AM
Henke Torphammar

In my opinion most cheap china GF kits turn out too heavy. Sure they do fly, but not in a relaxing way. When buying a turbine in this class costing atleast $1900 you should really choose an airframe with care too. It's not the money but rather getting a plane that flies good without bad habits and that are not under powerd. I think you are way better of with any of the 90mm foamies then the GF kits unless spending enough to buy a Savex or even better a Schübeler.

Compare my video of the Venom with the Mig15 just posted above. Lighter more powerful turbine vs heavier and less power. These pretty much represent the two opposite ends of the scale.

Again, this is how I think and others have diffrent preferences.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:14 AM
DominicM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

"EDF birds that are 1600mm or wider wingspan"

Very limited choice if you want composite kit. These are close. CARF Spark? JTENG range? JTM XXX Sport Jet? Tomahawk Stinger? Habu32?

Then you have TopGun or FlyFly foamies and those already mentioned but you wouldn't want to put a 15lb turbine in one of those!

...and forgot to mention there is a 90mm EPO Yak 130 coming out soon but again turbine and foamie...probably best not.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ7uQp9VcLY
Old 01-12-2013, 09:57 AM
warbirdfanatic

Cheers for the responses guys, looks like they're too small for me then! a 15lbs will be wayyy too much plus once you've added the weight of the engine, fuel etc they'll fly a bit awkwardly! any clue as to other designs? I really want to do an F35 but the plans I've found are foamies and they just don't support the strengths that I require etc! I emailed Oakdale about their plan but I've had no response after 8 days :-(
Old 01-12-2013, 11:31 AM
Henke Torphammar

ORIGINAL: warbirdfanatic

Cheers for the responses guys, looks like they're too small for me then! a 15lbs will be wayyy too much plus once you've added the weight of the engine, fuel etc they'll fly a bit awkwardly! any clue as to other designs? I really want to do an F35 but the plans I've found are foamies and they just don't support the strengths that I require etc! I emailed Oakdale about their plan but I've had no response after 8 days :-(
If you have a 15lb thrust engine on hand you need to look for 120-127mm sized EDFs. But then you are looking at a standard turbine size where there are alot of choices. The pros of chooseing an EDF airframe is that it's usually much lighter, the con is that they always add oversized inlets to get enough air for the often weak EDF setups...

Old 01-12-2013, 02:22 PM
corndog2
Banned

ORIGINAL: Henke Torphammar

In my opinion most cheap china GF kits turn out too heavy. Sure they do fly, but not in a relaxing way. When buying a turbine in this class costing atleast $1900 you should really choose an airframe with care too. It's not the money but rather getting a plane that flies good without bad habits and that are not under powerd. I think you are way better of with any of the 90mm foamies then the GF kits unless spending enough to buy a Savex or even better a Schübeler.

Compare my video of the Venom with the Mig15 just posted above. Lighter more powerful turbine vs heavier and less power. These pretty much represent the two opposite ends of the scale.

Most of the flight of the HK Mig 15 posted above was at just over half throttle and I can assure you that it flys an absolute dream
Old 01-12-2013, 02:39 PM
Henke Torphammar

ORIGINAL: corndog2

ORIGINAL: Henke Torphammar

Most of the flight of the HK Mig 15 posted above was at just over half throttle and I can assure you that it flys an absolute dream
Half throttle of these turbines are about 1/3 of the maximum thrust. In that case it does well. Still I think those airframes are to heavy.

Compared with a Schübelrer Hawk. Again I think the Hawk has plenty of power while the Mig is a bit slow, but I'm sure both do fly with no problems.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veUpBsrwECo[/youtube]
Old 01-12-2013, 03:56 PM
bem

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

This maybe, for 120 mm EDF or 8 kg thrust turbine, Italian C&C Models BAE Hawk. Wingspan 1900 mm / 74.8 inch.

http://www.cmodels.it/modelli_jet/baehawk%20c&c.htm

EDF powered flight video of the plane:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srkDHNXt-BI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5L83p-YZr8

/Bo

Old 01-13-2013, 05:56 AM
lrb75
My Feedback: (12)

The HK fiberglass MIG-15 flies great on EDF. Mine weighed right around 7lbs before I dumb thumbed it into the trees. I got a new one but the paint on the wings is not sticking very well to the covering. Also the internal formers are not the same so it will be alittle more work to get this one in the air.

But I don't think any of the HK EDF kits will be suitable for a 15lb turbine. They would really only be good for something like a P20 or a kolibri turbine. You need to look at something from Yellow, Jet Hangar or Century Jet.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:32 AM
vonRaB

Hello,

I convert the FlyFly F-86 to JetCat P20SX..Fly very well

Video about conversion and flight is there: http://www.youtube.com/user/GrapoAirTech
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43930.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1839885   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69523.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1839886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12508.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	1839887  
Old 01-13-2013, 03:17 PM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: warbirdfanatic

Hi Guys

Does anyone have a good list of EDF birds that are 1600mm or wider wingspan? I'm just thinking about converting an EDF kit for pure laziness, Hobbyking do a large F86 which looks like it would be good enough to convert or even make a mould from to put a 15lbs turbine in!
Or, if anyone has any links to free EDF plans or turbine plans that would also be handy!!!!
If its a 15lber you intend to use..most of the planes already mentioned are only good for a P20 or Wren44.

Sounds like you want to use a P-60

This is what Im doing after my Byron F-16.

SU 37 from the King. They dont sell them anymore but that might be found at the manufactuors website. Prodesign.

Im placing a P-60 between the engines. Fuel tanks will most likly be installed in the intakes.

Specs:
Wingspan: 1200mm
Length: 1737mm
about 15lbs flying weight.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz80085.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	1840024   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27674.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	120.7 KB