Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JR XG14

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JR XG14

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 02:39 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts
Default RE: JR XG14

The average radio has less than a 5 year life, many JR radios I have had in the past a near 10 year life, but things change. JR are not stopping support yet, but its coming. I'm in the hobby long term, so looking to the future its politics driven DMSS. Most guys have just a few jets/top end models. Even if they decided to change every model to a new Rx its less than the cost of one turbine, one decent airframe...and its the life blood of everything we do. When a new turbine comes onto the market or new aeroplane, people are happy to pay for them. THE most critical part of what we do is peanuts compared to the work/time and cost involved elsewhere in the models. I really don't get it!
The latest Tv screen type, iphone, ipad etc and you are happy to swap several times in a few years, a radio for something you really get a kick out of and flying something that can harm is different?

Like I said I have both systems (in fact three as I still have 35mHz models) as I build new models that I want to use on DMSS, I'll buy Rx's and go that route. If I want to use my DX-7 DSX-9, DSX-11 or DSX-12 I'll use a DSM-2 Rx, either new or from a model I have sold. (I rarely sell Rx's that I know are perfect-a 500 flight Rx has less risk than a boxed unproven one in my mind)

In a few years, I'm sure I'll be all DMSS. I've said before if I couldn't fly JR, I'd stop. I've witnessed hundreds of thousands of flights and spoken to many thousands of customers in my 40 years in the hobby and its with not with any light decision I fly JR, sell JR and promote JR...they have never paid me a penny, so its my very informed choice.
Like cars, Tv's, phones and women, we all make choices on brand and type...feel free, if you don't like it, go elsewhere.

I'm out

Dw
Old 02-01-2013, 04:33 PM
BORLEX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am addicted to JR menu and have no intention to move yet from my 9503 although for my jets I needed more channels to make my life easier. I obviously wait for a new JR 18 channel model for more than a year now...

I have a very big stock of DSM2 receivers and changing would be very expensive. Also I don't like the idea of using my older TX with some planes and a new TX for some others. I prefer to have the same capabilities for all of them or stick where I am til it falls apart...

My dream JR would be 18 channels, with a BIG screen (that would be a step ahead DX18), DSM2 & DMSS combatible or with removable modules like Zero, to use a DSM2 module. Of course transferring models through computer to a new JR would be very convenient. All these for the price of a DX18
Old 02-01-2013, 04:56 PM
gotspg
My Feedback: (10)

I have been a diehard JR guy for more than 20 years. I made the jump to Futaba and bought the 18mz about six months ago, what a great move. I just got tired of all the JR/HH changes and tired of waiting on JR to come out with the next big thing, sure glad I didn't wait for the XG14.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:01 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

No on the backwards compatable with DSM2/X
Old 02-01-2013, 05:15 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

No on the backwards compatable with DSM2/X
Great, how to pi$$ off existing happy customers & avoid gaining new ones!

Who's running their marketing department, a double agent from F troop?

Flying 36 mhz my hardest decision to upgrade a transmitter was simply which JR to choose,
didn't even cosider another brand. All changed with 2.4. They sure know how to test a customer's loyalty.

John.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:04 PM
gsmarino2000
My Feedback: (2)

I was a long time Futaba guy. When I moved to 2.4 two years ago, I evaluated everything, including reciever costs (I have a lot of planes) and availability of HH BNF models, and I decided to go JR. Of course, I'm very dissapointed with JR's move. No way will I be swtiching to DMSS any time soon. I'll just buy Spektrum receivers as needed to go with my JR transmitters. When I need a new transmitter in a few years, I will probably go either Spektrum or Futaba.

Greg
Old 02-01-2013, 06:52 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

omeone in the know did JR CEO or what ever they are called over there change. Did their marketing say go after the kid market with these transmitters. Why do all of them look like robots....... *** Its DX-18 for me.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:40 AM
darryltarr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JR XG14: What a piece of CR@P

You know guys I started using JR back in 1993 (JR PCM 10SX). Today I still have 4 JR Transmitters:

- Two PCM 10S (one dedicated Airplane and the other dedicated to HELI)
- One PCM 12X (MV version)
- One DSX12

I also use FUTABA and currently have 3 FUTABA Transmitters:

- Two 14MZ (both dedicated to HELI)
- One 18MZ (dedicated to Airplane)

So here's the thing. I love many functions on both Futaba and JR, some areas are better on some and not so good on others. The 18MZ is a great radio but the big disappointment is the Transmitter, it has a plastic feel and looks cheap (compared to the 14MZ), but is nicely balanced. Futaba gimbals are much better than JR. I could go on and on. Different horses for different courses.

But as for JR New Radio's, hell man, these guys have lost the plot big time. As "airraptor" says; they look and feel like robots.

To me they are cheap and come from TINSEL TOWN.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:07 AM
FBaity

I wonder if the JR XG14 will have a poor transmitter battery, charger and manual like the 12x? I have been a JR guy for 20+ years and my 10X converted to 2.4 is the best money I have spent in the hobby. That being said the 12X I have just sits in the shop waiting for a new transmitter battery up-grade and charger. Additionally I contiune to read threads about how to use the 12X because no one understands the manual. In the intrem I just fly the trusted 10X and ponder what will be my next radio.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:09 PM
BORLEX

Something I do not understand with the new XG series is why they have small screens. And this is for all companies except Futabas top line, Hitecs Aurora and of course the previews JR line we all happily use. Who told them, customers want small screens like older cell generation phones. Screens now are cheap... Not necesserily a touch screen because it's more expensive and it want last for the life of a typical transmitter (which lasts a lot longer than a cell phones life). Futaba 14MZ owners know what I am talking about...€300 replacement cost here in Europe.

Also about DSM2. It's not as good as DMSS and that for I thing eventualy everybody would replace, in todays noisy enviroment, some receivers on their biggest and most expensive models. But since for most of us DSM2 works without a glitch I would keep it on 90% of my models. If somebody has only 3-4 models then of course he can easily make the investment. But since most of us now stock pile many planes and helis of all types and flying styles a)receiver cost and b) backward compatibility are a major issue
Old 02-02-2013, 01:11 PM
bobg

I like the look of the new radio,great system,easy programming ,silky smooth gimbals ,
it does seem to be a lot superior to the spektrum ,
the 12x that I use has been faultless apart from a broken rudder gimbal spring and batteries
replaced now for third time ,but it has loads of hours on it !!!
what I really hate is having to keep two transmitters ,used to have five then realised its better to keep one TX especially
for all expensive models ,both helicopters and aeroplanes ,that way you develope a feel for every switch and slider and are never left wondering after take off "which switch puts away my flaps "
so for me can't see myself making the change especially as I have loads of dsm2 receivers and have never had a problem.
but then again we never should say never !!!!
Old 02-02-2013, 02:51 PM
OldScaleGuy

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I too have been using JR since the Circus Circus and still believe they are one of the best out there. The looks of the new styling, call it robotic or whatever, is terrible. Looks does not make them a good or bad radio but when i spend the money that it takes to buy a high end radio i want it to look good too and be something i am proud of.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:52 PM
OldScaleGuy

ORIGINAL: OldScaleGuy

I too have been using JR since the Circus Circus days and still believe they are one of the best out there. The looks of the new styling, call it robotic or whatever, is terrible. Looks does not make them a good or bad radio but when i spend the money that it takes to buy a high end radio i want it to look good too and be something i am proud of.
Sorry i meant to edit, not double post.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:43 AM
Tisoy909
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its kind of silly for JR to change these modulation items every six months or couple of years whatever. DSM then DSM2 then DSMX and now DMSS, Its really silly and if JR actually had any connection with their customers then they wouldn't allow this just to realize they ruined their reputation and customer base later on. Been using JR since the 9303 came out, and thought at the time it was an awesome brand. I held off on the 12x only because I wanted to wait for JR's next best thing just to learn they come out with this silly and quite childish looking radio with one less channel. I thought that funny looking X11 was something else but with a decent screen. Fast forward a little, got a whiff of this new XG14 right after the Transformers X11 transforms into some kind of XG line because JR continues to battle issues with its 2.4 and needs to change to a new modulation YET AGAIN. The cherry is that I now realize all future JR radios are going to be very ugly and expensive toy-looking transmitters, much like the kind that comes with 24 dollar things in Walmart. Save the CNC gimbals, Youre going to need a new radio anyway when you do your next plane with a new receiver. Im thinking its time to leave the brand because they've dropped the ball. I simply don't want to buy a new transmitter with receiver every year or so, there is no point. No point in having thirty or even fifty model memory either that's just an advertising scheme. That XG14 Looks terribly ugly, can I be the first to say that, worse than the X11 or XG11 whatever you call it. I'm looking into Futaba now for the first time, its overdue as is a new radio for me as a matter of fact lol.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:33 AM
Dave Wilshere

JR have not changed every 6 months, they were on DSM2 for 7 years. Don't mix Horizon and JR, two different brands.
I would say my DSX-12 is still the best quality Tx ever released.
The XG-14 is NOT a top end radio, in some ways its below an XG-11, it just has the possibility of more channels. The top end JR DMSS radio is 5-6 months away I feel.

I wasn't a fan of the XG line when it came out, now quite like it. I think ALL Futaba Tx's look dated, they definately feel cheap, I hate the feel of the sticks and switches, the important thing is the operation...

Dave
Old 07-10-2013, 02:39 AM
ticketec

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, I'll take a stab in the dark here and say they have lost the 40+ year old's in the looks department? I don't really like the 11x but the XG range look pretty good to me!![8D][8D] Transformers are awesome! don't have the slightest problem with my radio looking like them!

Like everyone else here, I have a 9xII that I have had for far more than the "5 year" radio life as suggested and it has been a fantastic radio with ton's of hours of use on it too, but feel that I am in need of an upgrade. Been a JR man for ages and also have a ton of DSM 2, etc based models that makes it a very expensive decision to replace them all again after the upgrade from 36mhz. I can't help but feel not all that comfortable with the DX18 because it's "just" a spectrum radio, but their onboard programming that allows you to do sequencing is fantastic and finally a manufacture has added the software tweeks to make it happen, so that is one big plus that sway's me towards their product then its the reduced overall cost of upgrading.

My flying buddy has the 11x so I have played with it a fair bit and have flown a bit with it too, but the analogue throttle trim[:'(][:'(][:@] HATE IT!!!!! I have so many models that each require the trim to be in a different place, why the hell go backwards to the '90s???? so VERY slim chance of buying one of those.

So what do you do??? start from zero again with DMSS? I really don't know yet.

Thanks

dave
Old 07-10-2013, 03:44 AM
Dave Wilshere

Dave

In England, you have a choice of manual or electronic throttle trim. Me I'm manual every day of the week goy as it gives me instant control of the danger...
Yes, you can set the Digi trim steps to low, but I like a Zip and its closed. In 40 years of flying thats what I know and instinct sends me to. The number of jets I test fly with the three pos switch option and ask the owner which switch and even which way...and they dither just standing there, in a pressure situation it going to be too late...go for the throttle trim.
As far as differences...Mmm my petrol and ic models tick over at mid trim, where there is an indent. Once I takeoff with a petrol aerobatic model I push the trim all the way up for a snap roll safety margin, landing I slide it back to the indent and land...all without looking down.

From what I have seen and heard on the DX-18, they have some inconsistancy to sort out...
Old 07-10-2013, 04:15 AM
ticketec

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Dave,

Will have to find out if we also get that option here in the colonies.....

We have to have a separate kill switch for turbines and gassers so I always head for that switch in an emergency. I used the throttle trim for, well.... throttle trim. you know starting, idles etc...

Now, get the XG11/14 to be backwards compatible with DMS2/X and I'll be running to the LHS to buy one!

Dave
Old 07-10-2013, 04:49 AM
madmodelman

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

They sure do Dave!

Gary.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67182.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	1899135   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57266.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	1899136  
Old 07-10-2013, 07:13 AM
Dave Wilshere

ORIGINAL: ticketec

Thanks Dave,

Will have to find out if we also get that option here in the colonies.....

We have to have a separate kill switch for turbines and gassers so I always head for that switch in an emergency. I used the throttle trim for, well.... throttle trim. you know starting, idles etc...

Now, get the XG11/14 to be backwards compatible with DMS2/X and I'll be running to the LHS to buy one!

Dave

Dave

DMS2/DSM-X is Horizon's baby and nolonger anything to do with JR Japan...so that aint happening.

DMSS is JR Japans future, for those of us who love JR, its the only choice, I have built all new models over the last year on DMSS and as expected, i'm very happy with it.

Dave
Old 07-10-2013, 07:22 AM
Mark Vandervelden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, Its seven months on and have flown with my XG11 on DMSS most weekends and many evenings with countless flights and its good to be back with a reliable Tx after my brief trip to the "Dark Side" and the lure of extra channels. What I need now is for the XG14 to be let into the wild along with JRs X-BUS software so I can play with my other toys that are temporally shelved as there fitted with Powerbox SRS systems. Can anyone say When, When ,When!!!
Old 07-10-2013, 07:31 AM
Mark Vandervelden

Hi Dave, I just had a thought, When relised will we be able to run the new X-BUS RXs on Powerbox SRS systems with the XG11, I sure we will but will it just simply just work but then restricted to the 7ch of the Rx or 11ch through the Powerbox or will an update be compulsory for it to be used at all?
Old 07-10-2013, 08:10 AM
steverobertsuk

Mark

JR will release an update for the XG11 soon giving you the option of using X-Bus.

PowerBox also have the protocol so I'm sure it wont be too long before they have an update for X-Bus to. So in theory you will be able to use 11 X-Bus channels with the XG11.

Steve
Old 07-10-2013, 08:43 AM
Mark Vandervelden

Hi Steve, I was just drafting an email to you to ask this same question! Your answer is as I suspected but its good to have it confirmed and its good to have it out there so we all know what's happening. I have not updated my XG11 operating system since I've had it and its still on JRs original software as the updates don't offer anything extra I need right now, plus "if it ant broke don't fix it" but should I start playing catch up with the two already available updates or can I just wade in with the new X-BUS update when its available. Also im assuming that the new 7ch X-BUS RXs will be readily available when the XG14 is realised so any idea of RRP. Thanks Mark V
Old 07-10-2013, 09:29 AM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: FBaity

I wonder if the JR XG14 will have a poor transmitter battery, charger and manual like the 12x? I have been a JR guy for 20+ years and my 10X converted to 2.4 is the best money I have spent in the hobby. That being said the 12X I have just sits in the shop waiting for a new transmitter battery up-grade and charger. Additionally I contiune to read threads about how to use the 12X because no one understands the manual. In the intrem I just fly the trusted 10X and ponder what will be my next radio.
I bought the JR 1500 mah LiFe battery for my 12X. Best thing ever. The battery lasts much longer than the Nimh 2000 mah.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.