Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Painting Help!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Painting Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 12:49 PM
Jetfan20
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Help!!!!

Hi All,

I'm planning to paint my own Skygate Hawk in the Swiss Scheme. I have painted jets before but all with raddle cans, I will be using a Airgun and compressor on this one. The jet is sanded down and is ready for primer. I know alot of people recommend PPG paints and they offer tons of products. What would I need as far as Primer, reducer, hardener for clear coat etc....If you guys have the actual codes that would be great!

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-04-2013, 01:25 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Painting Help!!!!

I used K36 catalyzed primer, then DBC uncatalyzed base coat, topped with either Concept 2021 for gloss clear coat or Flex n Flat for a flat clear coat. Both are catalyzed.

I got to buy some soon I hope this stuff is still available in CA

It is all on their website:

http://www.ppg.com/coatings/refinish...Selection.aspx

EDIT: Also you have to find a way to identify your colors, last time I tried I used computer matched chips made with Testors paints, but maybe you can find your color in a catalog??
Old 02-04-2013, 03:05 PM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Painting Help!!!!

I also use the PPG K-36 primer with k-201 hardener. As for the reducer you will need, it is PPG DT-860 that i use. I think they range from DT 850 to 870 depending on the temperature you will be spraying in.

I usually spray my planes in the basement where it is always 72 Degrees so the DT 860 works just fine for me.

The clear coat that i like is the PPG Concept DCU 2042 along with the DCX 61 Hardener.

For the paint if you want to keep the cost down a little you could also use the OMNI Brand of paint which are the lower end of the PPG line of paints. I have used these with satisfactory results.

But in my own opinion using single stage paints would be much better as it just makes doing any type of repairs to the paint job much easier.