Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Telemetry Flame-out Detector for Twin Turbines .. for less than $5

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Telemetry Flame-out Detector for Twin Turbines .. for less than $5

Old 02-08-2013, 10:27 AM
stevekott

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Telemetry Flame-out Detector for Twin Turbines .. for less than $5

ORIGINAL: fifou313

Hello
Great system but How can we do that with the last generation of engine which have internal kero valve? (As the Jetcat RX series?)
Thanks for your help.
regards.
Fifou
You are in luck, the first time I ever used this concept was for a low fuel indicator on my P-140RX. Even though the solenoids are now in the turbine the new ECU still has a smoker port.

Sidenote: For those of you that don't have smoker ports and want to use the +5V for the fuel pump as the trigger we might need to add a little something to the circuit. The coil of the dead turbines fuel solenoid is going to act like a resistor to ground and will change the output voltage signal. We might need to add a small relay or diode to check that. If a lot of you want to do that let me know and I will test a versrion that uses the fuel solenoid outputs.

For you guys that are nervous about using the smoker port as a voltage source, ironically I came across this on the Jetcat German website.

jetcat.de/zubehoer/index.htm

At the bottom of the page it shows a super-bright LED that you can use to signal a low fuel alarm via the "Smoker Port". That would again draw hundred of times more current than the voltage indicator.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:25 PM
stevekott

I just check the settings on the ECU to use the smoker port as a "Turbine Running" indicator:

Low Battery Warning - Disabled

Low Fuel Warning - Disabled

Aux Channel Function - ON Turbine Control - Off

Aux Channel Smoke Control : Open if Aux Sw=0

Smoke Warning Function - Disabled

Happy Flying - Steve

Old 02-09-2013, 01:04 PM
Ravivos

It all seems very nice, but perhaps one should consider a different solution.
why not use a basic PIC mirocontroller with all the inputs fed into its ports, it then output a specific signal for the needed warning (through the DAC or digital output).
the PIC microcontroller is very easy to work with and the software needed to be written is very simple.
If you'll consider it, i can help.

Ravivos.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:06 PM
stevekott

Sounds interesting. Remember at this point we only have one available External Voltage input for the telemetry.
So I think your pic controller would still need to have the same type output. That is one voltage for both turbines, another for left, for right and a 4th for neither.

I'm not sure if your idea is easier than the three resistor parallel divider circuit but new ideas are always appreciated!

Old 02-09-2013, 03:06 PM
Mark Vandervelden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Guys

I'm just in the throws of building my first twin turbine airframe and this thread caught my eye
Perhaps I'm over simplifying things but when the turbine shuts down it gets colder and the fuel solenoid would go from from 5v to 0v
My std Specy telemetry can monitor both voltage and temp, cant we just monitor one turbines temp and the others fuel solenoid voltage?
"Could we not use these two telematry sensors to"
If the right turbines solenoid shuts off voltage the drops from 5v to 0 so set that alarm to "tone"
Then if the left turbine shuts down the temp near the tail cone will drop very quickly, set that alarm to "vibe"
(Temp sensor range is -40c to 538c)
Tone = "Right engine dead"
Vibe = "Left engine dead"
Vibe + Tone = "Go get me some new pants!"
Old 02-09-2013, 03:57 PM
stevekott

Hey Modelmancan,

I'm not sure if the Spektrum telemetry allows you to have more than one external voltage sensor. If so you are home free.

I think we found that the easiest way to signal if the turbine is running is to monitor the Fuel solenoid or Smoker solenoid output. Temp is also a good way but then you need to figure a way to mount a temp sensor somewhere where it will survive the jet blast but it would certainly be a good alternative to using the single voltage input port. With Futaba there is an additional voltage sensor coming out and you can use up to 30 of them bet it is not yet available. On the Futaba it actually speaks the output voltage so one it alarms you can tell which motor is out by what it is saying.

I'm not sure which twin you are building but we've had some great input on the earlier mentioned forums on what to expect. With some planes much worse than others. Things to avoid getting slow with high power, keeping the angle of attack low and mixing or trimming rudder away from the dead turbine and avoid turns into the dead turbine. Perhaps landing a little hot without flaps. It sounds like it is very much model dependent.

Let us know if you come up with something for Spektrum that works. I'm sure that many would be interested Thanks!
Old 02-11-2013, 02:19 AM
Mark Vandervelden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Steve

I Had a chance this weekend to play with my Spectrum telemetry TM1000 module and a Wren 160 on the bench with promising results.
I am using a std "Y" lead between the fuel valve and ECU and a std servo plug fitted to the voltage sensor lead on the TM1000.
I set the TX alarm to go off at > 1v ,To see if it all worked I used the fuel valve test function from the GSU
With the valve open the display on the telemetry screen showed 5.4v, when closed 0v and the alarm sounded immediately, success!

I have had turbine airframes that are very quite particularly when cruising or flying with IC aircraft, you cant hear a dead turbine until sometimes its a bit late.
This very simple setup I'm sure would be a useful dead stick warning for any single turbine airframe but for a twin we need that second alarm.
As I don't have the facility to monitor a second voltage on the Specy setup I will experiment with the temp sensor and let you all know how I get on.
Regards Mark V
Old 02-11-2013, 09:48 AM
stevekott

Awesome Mark!

Thanks for your contribution and congratulations on your seccess. We will be looking forward to your results on the temp experiment.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:56 AM
airspeed917

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt how would you use the sbs 01v's, can you expain the setup to me. Thanks Ron