Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Why do people buy JJ Turbines?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Why do people buy JJ Turbines?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 07:41 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Why do people buy JJ Turbines?

I'll tell you. Most are newbies who don't know how bad they are and are enticed by the relative low price. The others are simply dudes who like to tinker with stuff to try to keep it running.

I feel like we should be actively advising new people to stay away from a turbine that has to be tinkered with NEW OUT OF THE BOX to make it run properly! These poor individuals are getting SCREWED! And it hacks me off because I was almost one of them when I first got into the hobby. I'm so glad that some experienced veterans in the hobby advised me not to and that I took their advice.

There, I didn't post this in the precious JJ owners thread.

Andy
Old 02-16-2013, 08:02 AM
Ruizmilton
My Feedback: (29)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Why do people buy JJ Turbines?

To be fair, the same " you have to tinker with it" issue happened with the K80 and was actually encouraged by the representative when owners had to deal with it's extra slow acceleration, seems that is a thing of the past now, but it did happen, I had one, sold it after just one flight.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:08 AM
AndyAndrews

ORIGINAL: Ruizmilton

To be fair, the same '' you have to tinker with it'' issue happened with the K80 and was actually encouraged by the representative when owners had to deal with it's extra slow acceleration, seems that is a thing of the past now, but it did happen, I had one, sold it after just one flight.
Key words from your comments - "Seems that is a thing of the past now". At least the issue was addressed and corrected. I've owned a K80 for three years. It has never failed to start. It has never flamed out. It has always, from day one been an excellent turbine. I think you will find the majority of folks who own one have had the same experience. The JJ thread is hundreds of pages with people trying to get their new turbines to run properly. That comparison is not even close.

Nice try but no cookie.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:11 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

I'll tell you. Most are newbies who don't know how bad they are and are enticed by the relative low price. The others are simply dudes who like to tinker with stuff to try to keep it running.

I feel like we should be actively advising new people to stay away from a turbine that has to be tinkered with NEW OUT OF THE BOX to make it run properly! These poor individuals are getting SCREWED! And it hacks me off because I was almost one of them when I first got into the hobby. I'm so glad that some experienced veterans in the hobby advised me not to and that I took their advice.

Andy
wow, Andy, try getting out from the other side of the bed, such anger this early in the morning! Probably enough info on the web regarding JETJOE without starting a new crusade

Mike

Old 02-16-2013, 08:14 AM
AndyAndrews

ORIGINAL: luv2flyrc

Andy
wow, Andy, try getting out from the other side of the bed, such anger this early in the morning! Probably enough info on the web regarding JETJOE without starting a new crusade

Mike

LoL Mike, sorry it's my natural state when I wake up in the morning..
Old 02-16-2013, 08:14 AM
Ruizmilton

Default RE: Why do people buy JJ engines?

Sorry, didn't mean to compare, I just do not feel that it is right to put an item into the market until it has had it's possible flaws corrected, true, seems that JJ has never done that, but still should have never happened regardless of the manufacturer, just because it was corrected does not mean it should be allowed to happen.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:17 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: luv2flyrc

Andy

Mike

LoL Mike, sorry it's my natural state when I wake up in the morning..
I hear ya, mine too !

Old 02-16-2013, 08:23 AM
AndyAndrews

ORIGINAL: Ruizmilton

Sorry, didn't mean to compare, I just do not feel that it is right to put an item into the market until it has had it's possible flaws corrected, true, seems that JJ has never done that, but still should have never happened regardless of the manufacturer, just because it was corrected does not mean it should be allowed to happen.
I guess I'm still fuming from those early days when I almost plunked down hard earned cash on one of those, and then I look at the JJ owners thread recently, and all of those dudes are still trying to make those things run. Heck it's been over 6 years ago and they still haven't fixed the problems and poor guys new in the hobby are still getting sucked in by the cheaper prices. It just drives me crazy to see that happen.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:25 AM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Today's internet experts are giving advice and have only been in the hobby a few months. They are Telling guys which jet to buy, which turbine to buy, which radio to buy, how stuff flys after they see it online, rumors and second hand information, and all kinds of stuff they don't know anything about. Spreading so much mis information like wildfire.
Some of the stuff I read blows me away.
As far as engine goes I read one turbine weighed 12 oz more than another brand. I weighed it myself and it was only 3 tenth of oz difference.
Whats best these days is whatevers cheapest.
Scott
Old 02-16-2013, 08:39 AM
Ruizmilton

ORIGINAL: jetpilot

Today's internet experts are giving advice and have only been in the hobby a few months. They are Telling guys which jet to buy, which turbine to buy, which radio to buy, how stuff flys after they see it online, rumors and second hand information, and all kinds of stuff they don't know anything about. Spreading so much mis information like wildfire.
Some of the stuff I read blows me away.
As far as engine goes I read one turbine weighed 12 oz more than another brand. I weighed it myself and it was only 3 tenth of oz difference.
Whats best these days is whatevers cheapest.
Scott

Oh that is so true!! and another statistic I came up with is that this behavior you mention is more common to the "social network" RCU users, I sometimes can't believe the things that get posted by these individuals, then if you try to correct them for the sake of doing the right thing, you get bashed!!! I won't do it any more, and I know others won't, the bad thing is that the new guy who really needs good advice will pay the price.

Again, I agree with Andy, manufactures should not be allowed to do what JJ has done over the years

Old 02-16-2013, 08:39 AM
jetpilot

Honestly if it hadn't been for all you guys who took a chance and bought a kingtech and those guys who got a free kingtech, then they probably wouldn't be so successful as they are now. Fortunately the product was good as well as cheap. They continually improved the product and took care of there customers.
Great marketing with good product and good people.
JJ doesn't have any of that.
Scott
Old 02-16-2013, 09:26 AM
JimJones1
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Loads of people would advise others to get a jetcat. I have 16 turbines of various brands (No JJ's)  and it is the jetcats that I have the most trouble with. My Wrens are rock solid
Old 02-16-2013, 09:33 AM
AndyAndrews

ORIGINAL: JimJones1

Loads of people would advise others to get a jetcat. I have 16 turbines of various brands (No JJ's) and it is the jetcats that I have the most trouble with. My Wrens are rock solid
I see you joined the forums this month. Welcome. I think you would find the majority of folks here are extremely happy with their Jetcat turbines. Wrens are good to! There are no raving reviews from anyone on JJ.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:43 AM
JimJones1
Banned

ORIGINAL: JimJones1

Loads of people would advise others to get a jetcat. I have 16 turbines of various brands (No JJ's) and it is the jetcats that I have the most trouble with. My Wrens are rock solid
I see you joined the forums this month. Welcome. I think you would find the majority of folks here are extremely happy with their Jetcat turbines. Wrens are good to! There are no raving reviews from anyone on JJ.

I agree about no reviews on JJ Just wanted to also give an opinion on Jetcat
Old 02-16-2013, 10:08 AM
warbirdfanatic
My Feedback: (1)

To be fair, I was an owner for a year and never had a hiccup with a JJ1400! I think the earlier versions suffered with a few issues regarding the burners but the bearings were the same used in Wren, the design was mostly copied from Wren. The ECU was an early version that was also used on Wren turbines. The weight of the JJ1400 itself was spot on and I don't think you can complain about an engine weighing less than a kilo with 14lbs of thrust output, heck, my one put out 14.8lbs at full throttle!
I think the main trouble with JJ was lack of customer support and a poorly designed website of which it took an IT degree to find the contact button!

With a small amount of time and Google as a tool you can find a plethora of help and that's what forums should be for, there's no need to dwelve into a fanboyism thread because I've seen high end turbines with serious issues from factory. Remember that all of GT's are under severe stresses when operating and they do require a little bit of technical know how, a person who's never been near anything soo powerful should risk buying one until it's been looked into and the relevant experience carried on i.e. DF jets as a first start.

I've met several JJ owners that have never had a problem and then I've also met a few who had a few issues at the start but luckily there was always someone there to lend a helping hand. I'm not taking sides with JJ because I sold my engine but only because I upgraded to a P200!

I bought my engine originally second hand with only 2 hours run time for a steal of a price and couldn't complain about it at all!

I do however, think that JJ will go out of business because of no contact and the reputation they are getting because of word of mouth etc!

Customer service is paramount in my belief, I purchased a JetCentral falcon that's probably 6 years old but Eric still took the time to reply to my questions and that's what made me think about confidence in my recent purchase!

I think it would be fair to use the thread to help people on what to buy and not brag about how rubbish a turbine manufacturer is as this can be construed as defamation.

For a newbie to Gas Turbines I would recommend saving the money and go with AMT, Jet Cat and Wren, AMT's quality is second to none imho after seeing the quality of a friend's Mercury that he's converted to full auto!
Old 02-16-2013, 11:31 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HOBBY KING ALL THE WAY!!!!!
Old 02-16-2013, 12:16 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

ORIGINAL: YellowAircraft

HOBBY KING ALL THE WAY!!!!!

LOL
Old 02-16-2013, 12:17 PM
warbirdfanatic

Lol!

Touch wood, HK are a large enough company so the support will be there, just hope the engine is satisfactory! I would imagine it will be fine as they're quite good with the QC side of things but I think they'll need to start selling some larger composite birds otherwise there will be a few monkeys thinking they can stick the turbine in a foamie without modifications!!!!
Old 02-16-2013, 01:00 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: warbirdfanatic

I do however, think that JJ will go out of business because of no contact and the reputation they are getting because of word of mouth etc!
With all due respect what makes you think JJ is "in business" now?
Old 02-16-2013, 01:12 PM
warbirdfanatic

Very true! Seeing as they never replied to me a year ago!!!!

I think they sold a total of around 900 turbines but it's amazing that we haven't heard much about them, maybe that could be a good thing or they could be sat on shop shelves.....
Old 02-16-2013, 01:43 PM
bela

I have an uncle who loves Kharman Ghias, Volkswagen beetles and Harleys. got a bunch of them. always pointing out how you can fix them in 1/8 the time. Ive noticed that he is fixing them 8 times as much. but he is happy.

I have learned to live and let live. You will live longer.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:15 PM
jetpilot

I think most guys that are "fixing" Harleys are actually just modifying them. Big business in those upgrades or modification. Leave it stock and you can ride til the wheels fall off.
Scott
Old 02-16-2013, 02:34 PM
Lil Hoss
My Feedback: (58)

Hold on boys....................
Don't start on Harleys. It is by far the finest motorcycle made.
As said by Scott,,, they are being modified, NOT repaired.

Ahhh Just had to jump in about my second best hobby next to Jets and RC.
LOL
Now continue about JJ

Hoss
Old 02-16-2013, 03:33 PM
bela

OOPs! I just knew that I would be stepping on someone's "Harley toes". LOL! dont shoot me. , but that's just my point. some folks just love to tinker,or customize, some love to design, some love to scratch build or experiment. etc etc. I actually find it more odd that some are so butthurt as to how others spend their own cash.

I am not sure it is possible for a newbie to get into jets and then consider JJ as a propulsion option without being overwhelmed with negative press on their products. no need to appoint a turbine czar or commission an anti JJ board.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:23 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We live in a Wal-Mart world. Cheap rules over quality for a lot of consumers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.