Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Question on horizonal stab balancing

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Question on horizonal stab balancing

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 05:08 PM
Lil Hoss
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on horizonal stab balancing

Quick question guys
Working on my F-15,,,, I shut down the power and one of the stabs drops down. Thus the trailing edge is heavier.
Is this a consern??
I am running a 154 oz servos on the elevators.
I took the stab out and thought of static balancing it and it would take better than 2 oz's of weight to make it level.
Again.... is this a consern??

Thanks guys

Hoss
Old 02-17-2013, 05:18 PM
rcand

Default RE: Question on horizonal stab balancing

ORIGINAL: Lil Hoss

Quick question guys
Working on my F-15,,,, I shut down the power and one of the stabs drops down. Thus the trailing edge is heavier.
Is this a consern??
I am running a 154 oz servos on the elevators.
I took the stab out and thought of static balancing it and it would take better than 2 oz's of weight to make it level.
Again.... is this a consern??

Thanks guys

Hoss
Its usually preferable to static balance to near perfect, slight trailing edge down is good, however, there is more to this than just balancing. If the rod or pivot tube is in a bad placement based on the percent of MAC, then there are concerns no matter what you do. I had a Super hornet which I did the balance as stated but the tube was in a proper placement in reference to percent of MAC and never had a problem, I know where some people did a balance on poor designed stabs and the tube was in a bad spot and the elevator still fluttered off.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:18 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

I asked this before and there is pros and cons to both.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:25 PM
Lil Hoss
My Feedback: (58)

Thanks guys........
I think I will just leave it the way it is.
2 OZ's in the leading edge of the stabilizer is a lot.
I really hate to cut a hole in the inside of the stabilizer to install lead weights.

Thanks again

Hoss
Old 02-17-2013, 07:43 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

It's just as important to know which F-15 it is. If it's properly designed, the stab should be tail heavy. When properly designed, the only benefit to static balance less wear on linkage. It's an oft-debated issue...
Old 02-18-2013, 01:40 AM
Justflying1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although I don’t have years of experience in flying jets I must admit I cant see the logic in not balancing the stabs.
I see a servo would have to work a lot harder to keep the stab in the centre position if the stab is not balanced.
I believe that with larger stabs especially they should be balanced. I have also noticed that sometimes servos struggle to keep stab at centre if stab not balanced and will flutter a little on the ground, which this would also flutter a little in the air. Although during flight I could not seeor notice the aircraft fluttering I believe that there would be unnecessary strain on the servo.
This is just my belief from what I have seen and think and im open in hearing other peoples opinions.
In saying this I have balanced the stabs on my MIg-29. For those watching theput together tread (build tread) I will update in the next few weeks