Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: F-4E with Slatted wings?

A few years ago, I was at the PIMA air museum near Tucson, AZ where they have row upon row of old aircraft that are mothballed. At the time they were readying F-4's to be used as target practice to be shot down over the gulf somewhere. They were silver in color with red/orange tail and wing tips. A sad demise for such an iconic airplane.

As for the F14, it's still a viable fighter & weapons platform but just too expensive to operate. Of course, never mind the cost of the F35 program.
    No matter how many times I cut it, it's still too short!

Ultrasport Brotherhood #45, P-51 Brotherhood #34, P-40 Brotherhood #35, Saito Club member #799, Spitfire Brotherhood #173, Glow head #18

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Quikturn

As for the F14, it's still a viable fighter & weapons platform but just too expensive to operate.
    Indeed, much of that cost arising from the F-14 being a "start-of-the-art" jet . The required maintenance man-hours were significantly higher than the F/A-18's. There were also maintainer morale issues on the boat due to the higher amount of work required to keep the jets "up" as compared to those required for the Hornet.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdcSAM74Oh4[/youtube]
    Matt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How can I find that complete instructional movie? Great period info, thanks for that clip.
    Like a midget in a urinal I knew I had to stay on my toes...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Matt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: VF84sluggo

ORIGINAL: Quikturn

As for the F14, it's still a viable fighter & weapons platform but just too expensive to operate.
    Indeed, much of that cost arising from the F-14 being a ''start-of-the-art'' jet . The required maintenance man-hours were significantly higher than the F/A-18's. There were also maintainer morale issues on the boat due to the higher amount of work required to keep the jets ''up'' as compared to those required for the Hornet.
    Hey Sluggo, are you currently in the Navy?

I served from 84' thru 88' and was based at Miramar with VAW-113. I was an avionics technician (AIMD) and on my first cruise on board the USS Constellation (CV-64) I worked in the COMNAV shop. Part of my duties was to work on intercom systems. That was fun because our test bench was down and I got to plane check almost everything I repaired. One of the units I repaired was a cockpit switching assembly for an F-14. It was sooo cool sitting in the back of one with everything powered up.
    No matter how many times I cut it, it's still too short!

Ultrasport Brotherhood #45, P-51 Brotherhood #34, P-40 Brotherhood #35, Saito Club member #799, Spitfire Brotherhood #173, Glow head #18

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123