Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Best DUAL Turbine setup for Fly Eagle Jets 1:6 120

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Best DUAL Turbine setup for Fly Eagle Jets 1:6 120

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 04:51 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Best DUAL Turbine setup for Fly Eagle Jets 1:6 120

expects mine to be around 60-65lbs wet
I think that weight might be a little optimistic. I expect it will be close to that weight.....dry.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:39 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

x3dflyr,

I don't think you need to take these AMA "GUIDLINES" to heart, many jets don't follow the AMA guidlines and even 2 stroke engines are now going faster than 250 MPH on a 180 cc twin. Slope Soarers have hit 400 MPH+. Remember you can also throttle trim back, I think you'll want to have the extra power for take off, I looked at the 140's as well and ended up with the 170 primarily because at crusing speeds the 170g will give you better fuel economy.

2ndly the 170 has a better resale value, most people are using the 140 twins in the 1/7th scale twins, the 1/6th can handle the extra power. FenderBean is actually considering dual 180s!

Either way, even with dual 140's at full power you'll be violating AMA rules, which really need to be updated considering what is readily available in the market from Airworld, Skygate, Fly Eagle e.t.c.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:24 PM
Zagzoo
My Feedback: (28)

ORIGINAL: DiscoWings

x3dflyr,

I don't think you need to take these AMA ''GUIDLINES'' to heart, many jets don't follow the AMA guidlines and even 2 stroke engines are now going faster than 250 MPH on a 180 cc twin. Slope Soarers have hit 400 MPH+. Remember you can also throttle trim back, I think you'll want to have the extra power for take off, I looked at the 140's as well and ended up with the 170 primarily because at crusing speeds the 170g will give you better fuel economy.

2ndly the 170 has a better resale value, most people are using the 140 twins in the 1/7th scale twins, the 1/6th can handle the extra power. FenderBean is actually considering dual 180s!

Either way, even with dual 140's at full power you'll be violating AMA rules, which really need to be updated considering what is readily available in the market from Airworld, Skygate, Fly Eagle e.t.c.
I got a FEJ 1/7 F15 twin on the way.. Im using 2 cheetahs in it and will most likey be over the 55lb wet limit. If your going to be over 55lb wet.. go with the bigger engines. Have the thrust, the left stick does move down!
Old 02-22-2013, 06:11 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

So disco you are saying who cares about the AMA guidelines? The AMA is the ones fighting to protect us from congress. Was not long ago all turbines where in jeopardy in the US. The AMA guidelines are what protect us from people in congress who know nothing about RC jets making crazy rules. All it takes is one person such as yourself to ruin RC jet flying for all of us.

No to mention this plane is far from flight proven. Now your saying they want one servo for the elevators on a plane this size and weight is insane. I am also pretty sure it has no instructions on how to build it like most of the flyeagle stuff. I saw the one that Rex built at Kentucky jets and it was very impressive on the ground. But flew tailheavy and the gear didn't work and that was with a great pilot flying it. Would hate to see what a noob pilot would do with this plane.

So you already have a plane with lots of issues on how to build it and set it up with throws CG and such. Then you want to ignore AMA rules with this plane. You put all of us jet fliers at risk. BTW you talk like you have all kinds of real world experience on jets. By reading your posts you know everything or at least you come off that way.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:33 AM
Joe Westrich
My Feedback: (95)

x3dflyr,

I don't think you need to take these AMA ''GUIDLINES'' to heart, many jets don't follow the AMA guidlines and even 2 stroke engines are now going faster than 250 MPH on a 180 cc twin. Slope Soarers have hit 400 MPH+. Remember you can also throttle trim back, I think you'll want to have the extra power for take off, I looked at the 140's as well and ended up with the 170 primarily because at crusing speeds the 170g will give you better fuel economy.

2 stroke engine aircraft and slope soarers don't have speed limits via AMA. It is only the gas turbine that is speed limited..... unless things have changed recently.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:39 AM
DiscoWings

Gunradd,

I dont' think a 70 lb jet vs a 55 lbs is any more "un safe" or more danagerous, in fact a 1/8th scale jet at 35 lbs wet is just as dangerous, yet AMA has this imaginary limit where all of a sudden something needs to be inspected. 2ndly the Speed limits are violated all the time, so your argument on Ama rules are for safety are not 100% valid. Why is it OK to fly over 200 mph but if you have a jet that's slightly over 55lb its all of a sudden a big deal. If you want an inspection it should apply universally to all RC jets not just those over 55 lbs.

I find it BS that a 60 Lb pylon racer can fly at 250 on modified engines and is perfectly ok with the AMA, but turbines must not go faster that 200 or have more than 50 lbs of thrust (when the average 100cc engine produces upwards of 55lbs of thrust).

As far as safety is concerned, the aircraft that has caused more injuries are RC helis, yet there are no waivers, or inspection for them regardless of the size.

Turbines like 3D flying are unfairly targeted and the rules set forth are by folks that do not understand the nature of the aircraft.

On a side note, I DID NOT WANT a single elevator servo, but the KIT only came with the option of 1 server / elevator they removed the dual elevator servo tray, go back and read the post again.

I asked James form FEJ, and they said they did this to reduce tail weight.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:47 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Disco, how did you have your jet shipped to you from china?

It always boggles me people will paythousands for a jet and then skimp on the shipping and do ground. EMS is the way to go and get it here in a week instead of sitting on a boat for a month!
Also, dont get down these guys pick on everyone. Once you get to jet rally you'll find many of these online tough guys fly boomerangs and shockjets and barely fly at all. Assumning they even have jets at all.

That f-18 will be sweet, get some discounts/rebates from James and fix it up its not hard and builds confidence. Go fly it and I guarantee these guys on here who fly trainers will still critique you LOL. I seen several show up at rallys set up a scale jet and not fly it, only to fly a boomer or in one case just foamies but sure has a lot of tips for me on my 30 lb 1/8 scale f-16.

ROFL
Old 02-22-2013, 07:53 AM
DiscoWings

Ohh I'm going to fly the heck out of it, I'm only really concerned about the landing gear not having enough ass to cycle, Rex said he got the down and locked conversion done and I'm wondering if I need to go that route as well.
I definitely got on james on the packaging, it was sub par, however, it could have been that the customs inspector opened it and threw it back in the box hap hazardly
Old 02-22-2013, 08:03 AM
Joe Westrich

I can't disagree that a 250mph large prop plane isn't more dangerous than the regular club flyer but they are far and few between so maybe they just have not got the spotlight yet. Hopefully these guys are expert flyers too.

To the point... you have stepped on a very sensitive subject. With the fight between RC and the FAA just in the recent past, people are still very protective, as they should. Turbines are technically not allowed by the AMA, you carry a "waiver" that allows you around that rule. To me, its like being on "probation" for eternity. We seemed to be held at a different standard and are scrutinized more. The fight has been long and with much drama. People don't want anything to restart the fire.

BTW... Kris and Scott are definitely not flying Boomers.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:12 AM
x3dflyer
My Feedback: (26)

Shipping

Fly Eagle invoiced me at a cost of $600 for shipping..There doesn't seem to be any "option" for shipping...just a flat shipping cost.

$600 is not cheap either...so I would expect a well packed and undamaged delivery. I'm guessing you paid the same or close disco?

I spoke with Rex last night about my build and the Down and Locked is the ONLY option for this jet...he said he could not get the gear to work properly more than 7 out of 10 tries....even using 3 tanks for air ..for $750 the down and locked is worth it.

Rex and I talked about the "tail heavy" nature of the FEJ F18 and he thought they should have relocated the Tanks...so hopefully they are working on this as well...instead of just eliminating one of the elevator servos. It's going to require a MONSTER of a servo in single configuration....

BTW...I spoke with Lowell Wexler last night and it looks like Kingtech has released a new 160G which puts out around 34lbs...I think this might be a good compromise between the 140 and 180 size...and is probably the direction I will be heading.

thanks for the help
Anthony
Old 02-22-2013, 08:15 AM
Joe Westrich

The experimental process is really not bad. You need an inspector and a CD. Finding an inspector is going to be your biggest challenge. There are CD's everywhere. The paper work is not a big deal either. I have signed people people off quickly if they just read through everything and did what they were supposed to do. Its nice to have a 2nd set of eyes on such a large investment anyways.

I would try to build rapport with an inspector, you will need him annually on experimentals.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:21 AM
Joe Westrich

Also, on the elevators. It is really a shame that they no longer give you the dual servos set-up. I wouldn't feel comfortable with a single servo on that airplane, if it were mine.

Does the new single servo bracket at least still bolt into two formers like the dual servo bracket??
Old 02-22-2013, 08:38 AM
Wap4life
My Feedback: (3)

Hey Disco & x3,

Fyi, i had no issues with my 3 FEJ landing gear. mig 29, f-14 & f-18. they work without any issues, until i had a few bad landings . I'm not expecting any issues with my new jet's landing gear.

That sucks about shipping. Every jet i received was perfect. With the one i just received it had a nice size hole in the top of the box, i was very concerned, but no damage to the jet. My last two jet took 4 days from when it was shipped. The one before that took about 8 days due to customs.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:44 AM
DiscoWings

There is a nice thread talking about hydraulic conversions with a 100 Hobby King kit form UMS India, this might not be so bad, I could see using air for the doors, and hydraulic for the mains. The good thing about the F-18 there are no wing connector so the gear is all inside the fuse.

X3, just go with the 170's man its 74 lbs thrust combined which is under the 75 lbs limit.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:49 AM
essyou35

Re: shipping

You should consider Jet Legend. They pack real well. Mike Lin also owns a medical business of some sort and so he has very strong crates he ships things in, and the jets go right into the same crates. Havent heard any shipping complaints on the recent viper jets they released.

Re: Trainer flyers

Everyone who flies trainers never thinks they are a trainer flyer. Go figure. Just because you own a sport jet and never fly it and only fly trainers, still means you are a trainer flyer. And for some reason, and many agree, these are the most critical people you will meet no matter what you say or fly.

Keep your chin up Disco! Dont back down get that f-18 flying and you have a jet that is harder to fly than 99% of the people on this forum.

PS: You can staert flying jets tomorrow and STILL know more than many on here who fly trainers for years. Get that f-18 flying post some vids and all they can do is shove it.

PSS: Dont crash!
Old 02-22-2013, 08:57 AM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Gunradd,

I dont' think a 70 lb jet vs a 55 lbs is any more ''un safe'' or more danagerous, in fact a 1/8th scale jet at 35 lbs wet is just as dangerous, yet AMA has this imaginary limit where all of a sudden something needs to be inspected. 2ndly the Speed limits are violated all the time, so your argument on Ama rules are for safety are not 100% valid. Why is it OK to fly over 200 mph but if you have a jet that's slightly over 55lb its all of a sudden a big deal. If you want an inspection it should apply universally to all RC jets not just those over 55 lbs.

I find it BS that a 60 Lb pylon racer can fly at 250 on modified engines and is perfectly ok with the AMA, but turbines must not go faster that 200 or have more than 50 lbs of thrust (when the average 100cc engine produces upwards of 55lbs of thrust).

As far as safety is concerned, the aircraft that has caused more injuries are RC helis, yet there are no waivers, or inspection for them regardless of the size.

Turbines like 3D flying are unfairly targeted and the rules set forth are by folks that do not understand the nature of the aircraft.

On a side note, I DID NOT WANT a single elevator servo, but the KIT only came with the option of 1 server / elevator they removed the dual elevator servo tray, go back and read the post again.

I asked James form FEJ, and they said they did this to reduce tail weight.

I doesnt look like you even bothered to get a turbine waiver.
Are you going to get one? or is that just BS too?
are you flying jets without it? or have you still not flown a jet?
Scott
Old 02-22-2013, 09:06 AM
jetpilot

ORIGINAL: essyou35

Disco, how did you have your jet shipped to you from china?

It always boggles me people will paythousands for a jet and then skimp on the shipping and do ground. EMS is the way to go and get it here in a week instead of sitting on a boat for a month!
Also, dont get down these guys pick on everyone. Once you get to jet rally you'll find many of these online tough guys fly boomerangs and shockjets and barely fly at all. Assumning they even have jets at all.

That f-18 will be sweet, get some discounts/rebates from James and fix it up its not hard and builds confidence. Go fly it and I guarantee these guys on here who fly trainers will still critique you LOL. I seen several show up at rallys set up a scale jet and not fly it, only to fly a boomer or in one case just foamies but sure has a lot of tips for me on my 30 lb 1/8 scale f-16.

ROFL

are you guys related?
Old 02-22-2013, 09:47 AM
DiscoWings

I told you that I'm not going to respond to your posts and asked you to do the same. Blocking future posts because I'm tired of your shenanigans.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:52 AM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As per the AMA, there are no waiver holders in Baton Rouge LA
Old 02-22-2013, 10:00 AM
jetpilot

Your not on the turbine waiver holder list.
you stated you fly jets and advanced ones at that
you stated you dont want to follow AMA rules
you tell others not to follow AMA rules
you say you will fly your over weight over powered jet anyway.
if you dont have a waiver then you shouldnt be flying jets
your a danger to all of us that are in this hobby
ignore me all you want but I wont be ignoring the fact that you dont follow the rules and encourage the same behavior
your the reason we have rules in place
try learning the rules and following them
Scott
Old 02-22-2013, 10:20 AM
DiscoWings

ORIGINAL: bcovish

As per the AMA, there are no waiver holders in Baton Rouge LA

I will contact AMA to find out what is going on, but That list doesn't show Eddie Weeks either who was flying jets back in 1998 probably before jet pilot even held a radio. My situation is a little screwed up because my AMA no. used to be 818187 but they changed it to 70810 (zipcode) (was out of for 3 years), I need to find out which number they have it assigned to.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:26 AM
jetpilot

oh please!
its printed on your ama card. Do you even have an ama card?
how about your turbine waiver card?
you should have a waiver number
i got my turbine waiver in 1999
Eddie Weeks doesnt actively fly jets anymore and you have to stay current. one doesnt get a waiver one time and forever remain on the list.
As of February 2013, you are not listed. Maybe the dog ate it?
nice try Ashan
Old 02-22-2013, 10:27 AM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

ORIGINAL: jetpilot

Your not on the turbine waiver holder list.
you stated you fly jets and advanced ones at that
you stated you dont want to follow AMA rules
you tell others not to follow AMA rules
you say you will fly your over weight over powered jet anyway.
if you dont have a waiver then you shouldnt be flying jets
your a danger to all of us that are in this hobby
ignore me all you want but I wont be ignoring the fact that you dont follow the rules and encourage the same behavior
your the reason we have rules in place
try learning the rules and following them
Scott
Old 02-22-2013, 10:29 AM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

ORIGINAL: jetpilot

oh please!
its printed on your ama card. Do you even have an ama card?
how about your turbine waiver card?
you should have a waiver number
i got my turbine waiver in 1999
Eddie Weeks doesnt actively fly jets anymore and you have to stay current. dont get a waiver one time and forever remain on the list.
As of February 2013, you are not listed. Maybe the dog ate it?
nice try Ashan
Old 02-22-2013, 11:02 AM
essyou35

Disco, I had the same thing happen to me. I was getting crap and was even turned into the AMA for not having a waiver, when I did in fact. Just because your name is not on the list does not mean you have a waiver, the AMA does try to get it up to date but its not like they drop everything they are doing and update it. My name took a couple months to show up and I recieved nothing but hate while flying from people hundreds of miles away from me. Also there are numrous people on the list who havent flown in years. I know people who should not have a waiver at all that are on that list as they dont even own jets.

So that waiver list is not accurate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.