Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Is anyone flying a CARF Rookie with Futaba 14/18mz + general setup tips

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Is anyone flying a CARF Rookie with Futaba 14/18mz + general setup tips

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 02:20 PM
Plane Insane
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is anyone flying a CARF Rookie with Futaba 14/18mz + general setup tips

I'm the new owner of a Rookie II / Last Edition that is pretty much BNF but so far the previous owner has been unable to locate the model program / settings from his old 14mz. (Not sure if he even still has it)
Any way.. I have a 18mz that besides setting up my helicopters, I have never setup an airplane with more than the basic control surfaces. (I flew a 12x for years - enjoying the Futaba learning curve now))
This airplane has servos on all control surfaces (wing surfaces not joined - flaps and elevons independant), vectored thrust, canards, retract/break, nose wheel steering.
I'm going to learn to set all of this up on my own but I'd really like to see how others with 14/18mz's have it all put together in the programming.
If you wouldn't mind sharing your program file with me, I'd appreciate it. I do know these will vary between setups and nothing is going to just drop in and work (outside of the original setup for this airplane) but again, it'll be nice to see if possible.
I have a Pitts Python I'm in the middle of setting that was also previously setup to my 12X A member here sent me his 18mz file for his Beast and it answered a number of questions relating to setting up mixes and the crowe, etc..

Also, outside of those flying the CARF Rookies with a 14/18mz, I'd appreciate anyones input (regardless of brand radio) on how they are setting up flight modes as well as breaking options.. ie. Speed Break + Canards down on landing?

Any and all insight will be greatly appeciated. While I own a couple of turbine poweredhelis, this is my first jet airplane, though I flown a frew Elan's and Roo's that friends owned in years past. I was also into DF back in the late 80's - early 90's..

Thanks a bunch,
David

Old 03-02-2013, 02:36 PM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Is anyone flying a CARF Rookie with Futaba 14/18mz + general setup tips

Hi David, I had a rookie and I have programs for the 14 and 18. I am on vacation right now, PM me next week and I will DL and email them to you.

I never did mix the canards for landing, probably should have. I had a flameout that was actually at the perfect place to have a flameout, still botched the landing (it was about 250yards away, couldn't judge speed at all) Broke the nose off it and didn't have the time/skill/patience to fix it.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:01 PM
readyturn
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Is anyone flying a CARF Rookie with Futaba 14/18mz + general setup tips

If you would not mind sending me the program for the 14MZ; also, it would be most appreciated.

I have my Rookie sitting on shelf just waiting to be finished and this would give me the nudge to get it done...

I'll PM you.

Thanks to David for putting the post up !

Rick
Old 03-02-2013, 03:59 PM
Plane Insane

ORIGINAL: DrScoles

Hi David, I had a rookie and I have programs for the 14 and 18. I am on vacation right now, PM me next week and I will DL and email them to you.

I never did mix the canards for landing, probably should have. I had a flameout that was actually at the perfect place to have a flameout, still botched the landing (it was about 250yards away, couldn't judge speed at all) Broke the nose off it and didn't have the time/skill/patience to fix it.
Hi Doc.. Sorry to hear about your Rookie.. I know how that goes and 250 yards is quite a ways trying to bring one in. I definitely appreciate the offer and I will send you a PM.
Are you by chance the same Dr. Scoles that used to rep for M.A.? If so, I've missed seeing you at some fo the FF's I used to see you at and enjoyed the stick time on your pre-production Stratus @ MayDay back in 05'? Of course, I took a break from flying for about 4 years to feed a scuba diving addiction and living in the Carribean so it may have been me out of circulation. Either way, good to see you here..

Thanks,
David

Old 03-02-2013, 04:05 PM
Plane Insane

ORIGINAL: readyturn
Thanks to David for putting the post up !

Rick
Glad it might help someone more than me... I love how the technology and community has grown over the years.. I remember thinking it was really cool when I could download backups of my JR 10/12 series radios but now it is really quick and painless to backup, and share data with others.

If anyone else has data they're willing to share, it would be great to see others as well.

Thanks,
David

Old 03-02-2013, 06:07 PM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi David, Yep, thats me. Heli's feel like a lifetime ago! You had a scuba diving addiction, I had a kite boarding addiction. Kiting made r/c take the back burner, then an injury killed my kiting for the foreseeable future. Great group of guys in my area to fly jets/big planes with. A lot of the heli guys stopped doing it or moved away. Also got tired of fixing helis.

Mayday was in Louisiana right? Man that was a great event. That was the first time I flew my nightblades with the text on them. I sat in some guys shop for a few hours talking r/c, he had a veritable airplane museum there. Stereotypical "good ol' boy" from the South, overalls and all! This guy was a genius and had a brilliant business mind. Talk about not judging a book by its cover! Great memories.

You must have hit Cozumel a lot if you were a Texan diving addict, one of my favorite places on earth. (I had my diving addiction as well)

I'm in kauai now, no diving or kiting, herniated disk in neck and sick as a dog... email me next week and I will get the .mdl files to you.