Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Alright, who was it?

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

So you want the gov to regulate our hobby?

Well just because they won't let you fly doesn't mean they cannot, nor even kill you with one.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/05/politics/obama-drones-cia
    Hey, don't start pointing to facts in these forums. It get many people upset.

Marty
    Marty

BOialsos

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: afterburner

Well just because they won't let you fly doesn't mean they cannot, nor even kill you with one.

Hey, don't start pointing to facts in these forums. It get many people upset.

Marty
    +1... Facts ALWAYS get in the way of a good story. Anyways, we're only at the beginning of the Model Aircraft, UAV, UAS, FAA story.
    Never underestimate the importance of altitude...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Black,with 4props with a 3 foot wingspan?????? I thought it was a B-17..............................
    Terry Holston,I Fly Jets
    I'm NOT speeding, I'm QUALIFYING!!!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: FalconWings

Ok, so this is an Alitalia flight arriving at JFK, I bet a 747 or a large 777, maybe a -67. @3 miles from JFK, you are very much on final at your middle marker with your landing clearance already granted. All eyes are on the VASI lights, checklists, and the runway in front of you. My best guess you are at ~ 165kias and slowing down fast.

How in the world can you spot a quadcopter, and distinctively see 4 props. I see a lot of imagination on this report. I can imagine a heli, or a lighter airplane spotting a small UAV, but not a heavy jet on final.

just my conspiracy theory......

David
    It has been identified as a 777-200 which has an approach speed of 136 kts and a stable approach speed is not flown "slowing down fast".

Regards
    Frank
    Vote for Horrace Cain for AMA Executive Vice President.
    It is not possible to write in such a way that cannot be misinterpreted by a reader determined to do so.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok, so this is an Alitalia flight arriving at JFK, I bet a 747 or a large 777, maybe a -67. @3 miles from JFK, you are very much on final at your middle marker with your landing clearance already granted. All eyes are on the VASI lights, checklists, and the runway in front of you. My best guess you are at ~ 165kias and slowing down fast.

How in the world can you spot a quadcopter, and distinctively see 4 props. I see a lot of imagination on this report. I can imagine a heli, or a lighter airplane spotting a small UAV, but not a heavy jet on final.

David
    You could see it from a heavy jet on final
    Jim \"Bullet\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This stuff happens all the time its just now everyone is sensitive to it. We have had to call our ground units over to stop people from flying kites into the final at Tampa International. We also almost hit a giant scale flippy floppy plane some one was flying within a mile from the airport. We simply flew around him and called our ground units to go handle the problem. Its dumb people like this that ruin it for everyone.

Also trust me you don't want the FAA involved. They will simply just ban everything with very strict guidelines. If you think for one second they can make an informed fare decision you are very wrong.

BTW the dumb buzzards around here are a bigger threat then any RC plane could ever be.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Agreed. You can see things as small as a balloon go by. I once saw a glove go by at 15k.
    P-40 Brotherhood #112

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

IMO that link has nothing to do with my comment or the subject at hand and I dont want the gov to stop model flying.
    Ira d

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

IMO that link has nothing to do with my comment or the subject at hand and I dont want the gov to stop model flying.
    No, not the type you are flying. But the fact is that the government is flying more drones than anyone, so it is as if not more likely that it is a government drone. If anyone should be banned it is the government.
    Glow Head Brotherhood #15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If anyone should be banned it is the government.
    love it
    ORIGINAL: jefflangton
    Time to bend over and let your head pop out!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

FalconWings
    You summed it up.
    Johnny

How high is this shot?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fc90196.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	1858950  
    Consistent in all I do.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: johnnyjet

FalconWings
    You summed it up.
    Johnny

How high is this shots?
    I'd say about 800-1000 AGL, looks like the typical pattern altitude.
    Buying Jet Legend? Read here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11372496/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: phlpsfrnk

David
    It has been identified as a 777-200 which has an approach speed of 136 kts and a stable approach speed is not flown ''slowing down fast''.

Regards
    Frank
    I cannot imagine a 777 flying at 136 kts 3 miles out in an airport as busy as JFK.....but then again it is possible.
    Buying Jet Legend? Read here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11372496/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You could fingure out how high the shot, but you would need to know the focal lenght of the lens, the size of the CCD, and the angle from flat level of the shot.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'd say about 800-1000 AGL, looks like the typical pattern altitude.
    ??? It could be a verywide angle shot from 100 feet, then cut out of the fish eye shot. You can't tell from looking at a photo.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

didnt it say 5 miles out and 1500'?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Like it or not regulation is coming but I would rather see regulation than a outright ban of certain kinds of rc flying.
    You should rethink your stance. More regs will lead to an eventual ban. WE need to take BACK control from the government, not the other way around.

They already want the ability to kill US citizens with drones.  That must tell you something! 
    I might not be very good, but I'm fun to watch!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

want the ability? obummer has already done it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well someone in the Texas Senate is trying to get a Drone Bill passed that will restrict picture taking a lot in Texas.
    http://io9.com/5988665/texas-bill-co...e-a-good-thing
    This all came about after someone used a Drone to take pictures of a business illegally dumping pig blood in a creek. The business closed down afterwards, but that doesn't stop some State legislator from trying to protect other businesses doing illegal things too.

Yeah we don't need some other idiot trying to buzz airliners again.  We already had someone flying a drone above the clouds a year or two ago and posting YouTube videos of his exploits.
    None of these folks belong to a flying organization like the AMA or flying clubs for that5 matter, so they usually just don't care, no common sense either.
    Club Saito #722, Sig Kadet Brotherhood #80, GlowHead Brotherhood #14,
    AMA # 928076

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just got this email today..

New Challenge Faces Model Aviation

Anyone who has been following the FAA’s effort to regulate the operation of small unmanned systems (sUAS) will know that this effort has revolved around safety in the national airspace (NAS). AMA has worked with the FAA, and played a significant role in this effort since the creation of the FAA’s sUAS Aviation Rulemaking Committee in early 2008.

AMA guidelines for recreational model aviation will do much to ensure that aeromodeling activities meet the high level of safety that the FAA is looking for.

Today new challenges now face recreational model aviation. Fueled in part by the media, Congress, state legislatures, and even the general public have turned their focus toward civil liberties and privacy issues relating to the use of domestic unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) in the US.

Most of the recent debate has centered on the public’s reasonable expectation of privacy and the use of UAS to infringe on that expectation. Much of this is a philosophical discussion.

I don’t think the paparazzi are going to be using UAS to snap a picture of me anytime soon, and, if some law enforcement agency is using a UAS to keep tabs on me, then I suppose I should ask myself what I’m doing that would make them want to do that. But I can also understand one’s opinion that using this type of surveillance technology may cross the line of being reasonable. And, yes, I probably would take exception to someone flying a UAS, popping into my yard, and looking in my kitchen window.

It’s important, however, that we don’t lose sight of the fact that this technology can be incredibly useful and valuable. Farmers monitoring crops, power companies inspecting power lines, and firefighters monitoring wildfires are examples of how UAS can be used as an effective means of managing tasks.

In the last few months, many states have begun to consider state-level legislation that would regulate the use of UAS. While likely well-intentioned, some of the language in these proposed bills is so poorly written that, if passed, they would have a negative impact on recreational model aviation and the other activities I’ve mentioned.

The real core of the issue, and the threat to us as recreational model aviation enthusiasts, is public perception. The public looks at an airframe and doesn’t see or understand the difference between a model airplane and a commercial, public-use UAS. And most elected representatives are simply doing their job by reacting to the concerns of their constituents.

Just a little over a month ago there was only one state considering some form of regulation pertaining to the use of UAS in its state. A few short weeks later there were 15 states considering legislation.

AMA’s job in advocating for its members is to reach out to the sponsors of these proposed bills and help them understand that there are significant differences between what we do as recreational users and the types of UAS that could potentially invade someone’s privacy. I think we have an obligation to point out all of the good that can come from advancements in this technology. During the last several years, a number of colleges and universities have developed UAS programs as part of their curriculums. Many students taking part in these programs will be part of this country’s next generation of aviation and aerospace engineers.

Our federal and state representatives need to be careful not to stifle the advancement of these programs or the use of the technology for any number of good things including recreation. Representatives need to carefully draft their proposed legislation. They need to reach out to both the recreational and commercial public-use communitiesβ€”the recognized expertsβ€”and ask for our help in drafting language that only affects the concern that is their focus.

Doing otherwise only runs the risk of handicapping those who need the technology to enhance their ability to do their job, taking the enjoyment of flying a model aircraft out of the hands of recreational users and, deterring innovation and creativity in our young people.

Dave Mathewson
    AMA Executive Director

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Relax .... The culprit has been found. Plus, a second accomplice was found with a high powered Surface to Air Missle launching system. Both have been arrested.

Additionally, other small cells of terrorists with plans to attack several national landmarks have been arrested. Their drone aircraft have been confiscated by the FBI as well.
    Fortunately, the FBI was able to see through the elaborate disguises.

Sleep well America.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xu62864.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	175.0 KB 
ID:	1859035   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bw71207.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	5.1 KB 
ID:	1859036   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jp32599.jpg 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	1859037   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qk21605.jpg 
Size:	8.0 KB 
ID:	1859038  
    We in the Federal Government have no sense of humor that we are aware of.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just feel that if you are in this hobby and love it, you should never get in the way of any manned aircraft.

If you or know anyone flying drone type aircraft, and see them over an area such as and airport speak up!

That can hurt all of us in this hobby. We need no more regulation heat. especially after we just got thru our last issue in august 2012.

Come on everyone, lets tighten up!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You dont seem to have much faith in the government you people elected

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    It's a hobby - keep it simple

www.332ndredtail.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: phlpsfrnk

David
    It has been identified as a 777-200 which has an approach speed of 136 kts and a stable approach speed is not flown ''slowing down fast''.

Regards
    Frank
    I cannot imagine a 777 flying at 136 kts 3 miles out in an airport as busy as JFK.....but then again it is possible.
    Whether you can imagine it or not is beside the point, depending on his weight after crossing the atlantic his ground speed could concevably have been even slower with the head winds. The recommended approach speed for a 777-200 at max landing wieght is 136 Kts (see attached).
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Vote for Horrace Cain for AMA Executive Vice President.
    It is not possible to write in such a way that cannot be misinterpreted by a reader determined to do so.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast