Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fire Extinguishers for turbines?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fire Extinguishers for turbines?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 04:52 AM
Jetset
My Feedback: (2)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW, I picked up a 20lb C02 extinguisher from a local fire equipment installer. They have lots of "outdated" extinguishers. Outdated meaning they cant be used in schools, buildings, etc anymore so they get replaced, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with them. I have an unlimited supply here.
If you're looking for C02, might be worth it to try your local installer. I paid $70 bucks for it.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:44 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Aqueous Film Forming Foam puts out fuel fires right now, with very little even though this small can will put out a fire about 20' by 20' in the grass.

Nothing but soap and water. the worst that happens is you need a towel.

Co2 is NOT a good option for extinguishing fuel fires
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	fire-gone-aerosol-fire-extinguisher-16-oz-5.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	2225095  
Old 07-20-2017, 09:58 AM
DMichael
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Wow, that is what I was afraid of and thanks for the info. I will look at some of the options suggested.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:28 PM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW.. I picked mine up at the local fire supply too.. CO2 version..

Also a battery powered Leaf Blower is the most effective fire puter outer during start, It will scavenge a tailpipe right now, and put out most starting fires with no damage.

For putting out a crash fire, water is the most effective because kerosine soaked fiberglass or wood burns right through a CO2 blast.. Thats why we are supposed to have Water on the flight line at events.. I have an old training unit that uses air pressure over water, I usually place on the flight line at events.. Some events use a backpack sprayer on the crash cart.. that works too.

I find overall the leaf blower to be the best tool to have handy. Its a firefighters secret weapon.. look it up.

Last edited by gooseF22; 07-22-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:17 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by RC JET FLYER
Best place to find a Co2 extinguisher cheap is to find a local place that recharges fire extinguishers. Ask them if they have an old Co2 extinguisher laying around they want to sell. Picked one up for about 50.00, paint on it is chipped but its been pressure tested. This was my 2nd one in two years after leaving one at the field.

Hope this helps,
Steve
There are not a lot of fire extinguisher service companies which do CO2 anymore, but that's the place to find one. Sometimes stores will replace all their extinguishers at once leaving some good ones at the service center. Most of these places will give 'em a once over and provide you a serviceability tag saying it complies with local ordinances, so you can be sure it's a good unit. The only thing I would suggest is that you get a fresh hydro static (pressure) test as those are necessary every five years, and it'll have a fresh fill as well.

I got a pair of 5 pounders, one for me and one for my friend, for $65.00 each with fresh hydros and these were Kidde brand that were $210.00 new.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:52 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetset
FWIW, I picked up a 20lb C02 extinguisher from a local fire equipment installer. They have lots of "outdated" extinguishers. Outdated meaning they cant be used in schools, buildings, etc anymore so they get replaced, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with them. I have an unlimited supply here.
If you're looking for C02, might be worth it to try your local installer. I paid $70 bucks for it.
Usually the reason that a CO2 extinguisher becomes "outdated" is that it can no longer pass the hydro static pressure test which is required every five years. There is a bunch of pressure in a charged CO2 extinguisher and I would NOT buy one that wasn't pressure tested or "hydroed" as the firefighters call them. Also, you cannot use just part of one and put it back in the holder. If you use one at all, it needs to be recharged. Some will hold the residual pressure but you won't have a full charge. Others will leak and be totally useless next time you need one.

@gooseF22 has some excellent advice as well.

Retired Firefighter/Paramedic
Old 07-22-2017, 09:18 PM
Jetset
My Feedback: (2)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was going to get a battery powered leaf blower just to help cooling the turbine during shutdown, but Goose's advice sounds great for fires so i will definitely be getting one now.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:15 AM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cooling trick: When the turbine is spinning down, don't blow directly into the face of the turbine or down the intakes.. point the blower down the outside of the tail parallel to the tailpipe where it creates a venturi effect on the tailpipe, it will gently pull air thru the tailpipe and allow the turbine to cool more slowly..

It has always been my opinion that you shouldn't shock cool a turbine. I also saw a little exhaust fan that a guy had.. it had a pipe, and he laid it in the tail pipe, and it gently pulled hot air through it from the tail pipe side.

YMMV.. my opinion only.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:47 AM
SECRET AGENT
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the leaf blower down the intake so the starter motor doesn't have to cool the motor down. As long as I'm spinning the motor with the leaf blower my starter motor never engages and saves not only the wear and tear of the starter motor/bendix etc, but saves the battery and gives me more starts on a charge.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:51 PM
paulsf86
My Feedback: (52)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Another down side to CO2 is the "retempering" effect on the internal metal parts. Going from very hot to very cold in an instant. Halatron extinguishers are a bit expensive to start but can be recertified/refilled as time goes on. Best to have checked once a year.