Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Pitot Tube IAS Airspeed Sensor For Futaba ... Very Cool !!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Pitot Tube IAS Airspeed Sensor For Futaba ... Very Cool !!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 01:57 PM
luckyflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pitot Tube IAS Airspeed Sensor For Futaba ... Very Cool !!!

His email address is [email protected] There is no ()
Old 06-17-2013, 06:41 PM
757Driver
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That worked! Thanks!,
Old 06-19-2013, 11:54 AM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Today I successfully flew the STALD (airspeed monitor) designed by Jim Shima. It is a 900MHZ downlink that uses the Eagle Tree “Airspeed Microsensor V3†to capture airspeed. My test bed is a Cosmic Wind prop powered model.

When I turned into the wind for takeoff the STALD receiver verbally reported 5 to 7 mph while I was parked ready for takeoff. Liftoff speed was 28mph. Level cruise with Rossi 60 engine was 50mph. After approx 300ft dive it reported 70mph just as I pulled out. Even with just one flight I started to get very comfortable knowing what my airspeed was. I am very excited about the potential when used while flying heavy warbirds and jets.

Features:
Transmitter:
1. 900Mmhz
2. User programmable- set transmitter power out level
3. Set frequency hop channel
Receiver:
1. 900MHZ
2. Mounts with built in clip to your pants belt.
3. Speech output jack for earphone or speaker
4. Set Stall Alarm speed (receiver vibrates and reports “STALL,STALL,STALLâ€
5. Low speed(0-60mph) programmable call settings (2-15mph)
6. Medium speed(61-120mph) programmable call settings (5-50mph)
7. High speed(121-280mph) programmable call settings (5-50mph)
8. Set time in seconds between auto speed reports in low speed range (2sec to 4sec or off)
9. Flame out detector for turbine engine. Report is verbal “Flame Out, Flame Out, Flame Outâ€
10. Toggle for Medium/High Speed call outs, can OFF or Enabled.

There are some other settable technical parameters that I won’t cover here. Next I am going to package my unit in 2†dia. x 9†long fiber glass cylinder that will mount on the belly of my Boomerang Intro and will contain all the electronics, pitot and battery.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:07 PM
bandicootf16

With the CBelektroniks unit how does the voice airspeed call outs and warnings work on the 18MZ. Is it a function of the air speed unit. Does anyone know if the voice call outs work with the new Robbe/Futaba airspeed senor.

Thanks
David
Old 02-26-2014, 12:44 PM
dvcam99

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello David,

yes you will get voice announcements from the FSS-330 or FSS-460 sensor measurement data.

But the Futaba TX will convert our data into speech.

Alarm values are also set by the T18MZ , T14SG transmitter or the Robbe Telemetry box.
Also the management of the alarms is done by the TX.

Sensors on Sbus2 are not sending Alarm flags. We from CB Elektronics have no control over the Futaba Sbus2 alarm situation. That is Futaba´s software land.

You can set a minimum and maximum speed alarm value inside the Telemetry Box or in the T18MZ etc..
If you come below the minimum value you will get always the alarm. :-( This is disturbing me personaly
I gave Robbe Futaba already a hint to implement a alarm accepted switch/button.
Let´s see what the will provide in future software releases.

I would recommend a better workflow to you.

Define a Switch in the TX to Switch the voice annoncement on/off.

I switch on the speech announcement during the landing phase for example. This gives me the information in what direction the airspeed is going.
Up or down and I can give my jet a constand approach Speed at aprox 20% above the before tested stall speed.

Keeping this speed during your final with a normal decend rate it will give you nice landings!! Not to fast not to slow.
Very good for the retracts!! ;-)

If you have any question please feel free to contact me.

Under the follwing link you will find a press report from RCJI:
http://www.cb-elektronics.de/Index%20english.html

BR

Dirk CB Elektronics

Dirk
Old 02-26-2014, 01:51 PM
bandicootf16

Dirk

Thanks for your very detailed reply. Your unit sounds very good and I will have to order one. Sounds like a must have for every jet especially the heavier scale jets.

David
Old 01-04-2018, 08:31 AM
Pull Up Now!
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Yann
Easier yes, but AOA is more usefull, as stall speed changes with air density, wing loading... while maximum AOA remains the same no mater what.
This is an old thread, I realize, but currently I'm looking in to Futaba Airpseed pitostatic sensors too. Yes, from an aerodynamic perspective, AOA is a more accurate indicator of impending stall. But such an indicator is totally impractical for RC flying. First, the stall AOA will change depending on whether you have none, half, or full flaps. In fact, it's insidious because putting your flaps down effectively increases the AOA most likely regardless of what any AOA sensor for RC would report. Now, imagine you've just turned final and your AOA meter reports what you've learned is too high an AOA. How do you respond quickly to that information. You don't have time to process what that means. "Let's see now, too high AOA....lower the nose.....now coming in too hot....throttle back.....too late, I blew past my landing. Oh, duh". With just AOA reporting, you will get behind the plane fast. When I had Spektrum with airpspeed in a jet, I flew 70mph on downwind, apply half flaps & throttle back a tiny amount and wait for the drag. Turn base, usually around 60mph, turn final & apply full flaps, wait for the drag, throttle back a little more. When it hits 50mph, cut to idle, usually about 100 yards from the numbers. Then just ride it down. Since then, I moved away from Spektrum because of signal integrity problems, and Futaba doesn't market an airpseed sensor. Just GPS. I do use that in one jet but there is wind, and lag time that detracts.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:35 AM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Pull Up Now!
This is an old thread, I realize, but currently I'm looking in to Futaba Airpseed pitostatic sensors too. Yes, from an aerodynamic perspective, AOA is a more accurate indicator of impending stall. But such an indicator is totally impractical for RC flying. First, the stall AOA will change depending on whether you have none, half, or full flaps. In fact, it's insidious because putting your flaps down effectively increases the AOA most likely regardless of what any AOA sensor for RC would report. Now, imagine you've just turned final and your AOA meter reports what you've learned is too high an AOA. How do you respond quickly to that information. You don't have time to process what that means. "Let's see now, too high AOA....lower the nose.....now coming in too hot....throttle back.....too late, I blew past my landing. Oh, duh". With just AOA reporting, you will get behind the plane fast. When I had Spektrum with airpspeed in a jet, I flew 70mph on downwind, apply half flaps & throttle back a tiny amount and wait for the drag. Turn base, usually around 60mph, turn final & apply full flaps, wait for the drag, throttle back a little more. When it hits 50mph, cut to idle, usually about 100 yards from the numbers. Then just ride it down. Since then, I moved away from Spektrum because of signal integrity problems, and Futaba doesn't market an airpseed sensor. Just GPS. I do use that in one jet but there is wind, and lag time that detracts.
You are absolutely right with regards to flapsettings etc! In my ASSI device the warning for IAS and/or AoA is also dependent on the current flap setting (up to 5 different settings), when you change the configuration the device automatically selects the IAS/AoA parameters that has been set for the current configuration. Otherwise you would be in trouble
Old 01-04-2018, 08:52 AM
Pull Up Now!

Default Kink

cool. This system has advanced beyond my assumption. Does your setup give guidance on how AOA is tuned by flap setting? I’d think this could only arrived at empirically. Can you post a link to the product offerings? Thanks.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:55 AM
Carsten Groen

You can configure it using a setup tool. Have a look at Ultimate Jets's homepage, there you will find some of the stuff. Also some info at Electronics for RC models
Old 01-04-2018, 09:16 AM
Ruizmilton
My Feedback: (29)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Speed sensor

[QUOTE=dvcam99;11746599]Hello David,

yes you will get voice announcements from the FSS-330 or FSS-460 sensor measurement data.

But the Futaba TX will convert our data into speech.

Alarm values are also set by the T18MZ , T14SG transmitter or the Robbe Telemetry box.
Also the management of the alarms is done by the TX.

Dirk
Sensors on Sbus2 are not sending Alarm flags. We from CB Elektronics have no control over the Futaba Sbus2 alarm situation. That is Futaba´s software land.

You can set a minimum and maximum speed alarm value inside the Telemetry Box or in the T18MZ etc..
If you come below the minimum value you will get always the alarm. :-( This is disturbing me personaly
I gave Robbe Futaba already a hint to implement a alarm accepted switch/button.
Let´s see what the will provide in future software releases.

I would recommend a better workflow to you.

Define a Switch in the TX to Switch the voice annoncement on/off.

I switch on the speech announcement during the landing phase for example. This gives me the information in what direction the airspeed is going.
Up or down and I can give my jet a constand approach Speed at aprox 20% above the before tested stall speed.

Keeping this speed during your final with a normal decend rate it will give you nice landings!! Not to fast not to slow.
Very good for the retracts!! ;-)

If you have any question please feel free to contact me.

Under the follwing link you will find a press report from RCJI:
http://www.cb-elektronics.de/Index%20english.html

BR

Dirk CB Elektronics

Dirk:

I’m interested in purchasing a speed sensor for graupner telemetry, do you have a distributor in the United States?
Old 01-04-2018, 10:47 AM
stevekott

I have purchased many airspeed sensors from Dirk. It's easy fast and reliable. I use these on most of my planes. Great device.

The ASSI device from Carsten/Ultimate Jets is also great and you can set up indicator lights on the front of the nosegear to show when you are on the right approaching speed. The only drawback is that you need to set it up as KPH instead of MPH. It will also do auto-throttle..

You cant go wrong with either.

SteveK
Old 01-04-2018, 01:20 PM
Pull Up Now!

Dirk, the 460 is out of stock at the US dealer. PM me about other options. Thanks!
Old 01-04-2018, 01:22 PM
Pull Up Now!

Originally Posted by Carsten Groen
You can configure it using a setup tool. Have a look at Ultimate Jets's homepage, there you will find some of the stuff. Also some info at Electronics for RC models
Your system sound good, too. But is there a less expensive version with JUST airspeed?

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2018, 02:04 PM
Carsten Groen

Yes, the first module (SB-IAS) on this page: Electronics for RC models
(price is Euro 50,-)
Old 01-04-2018, 08:58 PM
Pull Up Now!

OK, that works. How do we do this?
Old 01-05-2018, 12:13 AM
Carsten Groen

OK, that works. How do we do this?
Send me a PM please (or find my email address on the webpage mentioned above
Old 01-05-2018, 10:53 AM
Pull Up Now!

Carsten, from my end the links in Posts# 110, 114, and 115 lead to a 404 error. Thought you'd like to check this out.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:55 AM
Carsten Groen

Carsten, from my end the links in Posts# 110, 114, and 115 lead to a 404 error. Thought you'd like to check this out.
Fixed
Old 01-27-2018, 11:51 AM
Carsten Groen

Just found one of my own Youtube videos
Shows very well a demo of the AoA feature using 4 port pitot tube:
Old 01-27-2018, 03:28 PM
Sparhawk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carsten Groen
Fixed
Not anymore....
Old 01-27-2018, 04:15 PM
Carsten Groen

Originally Posted by Sparhawk
Not anymore....
Sorry, the direct link should be up now
Old 01-05-2020, 04:40 PM
Plane Insane
My Feedback: (4)

I've gotten out of the hobby and was going through extra stuff. I have one of these brand new in the package. $65 anyone?
PM me if interested.