Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Unstable RC jet dynamically controlled

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Unstable RC jet dynamically controlled

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 10:49 AM
RCpropo
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unstable RC jet dynamically controlled

Hello Fellows,

Five years ago, I had the idea of making a RC Turbine Jet where an electronic system helps to flight it, as the modern jets do. In order to improve airplanes maneuverability, the CG is moving back so pitch control turn highly sensitive with lag, at low speed.

The first stage of this project is controlling pitch using canard, and vector nozzle for 3D maneuvers. Microcontrollers are 3 x boards Firmtronics Digimix 3 (with Atmel processors), and 1 x board designed my me, based on Microchip processor. Flight information comes from Airspeed (sensed by two Prandts pitot tubes specially made for this airplane) and three inertial JR gyros.

The airplane platform is a modified Sport Sukhoi 27 design by Peter Liebetrau. This model was led to Sukhoi 37 to use the canard feature.

Even it has few flights; the results have been considerably acceptable. For instance, because the heavy tails balance, it is very difficult to land just by hands, and it needs the canard electronic assistance to reach a good landing.

It is the beginning, more flights, adjustments and settings will take place………

Thanks to:
Greg Gallagher from Firmtronics (intricode.com), microcontroller board provider
Peter Liebetrau
Alberto Enriques (Modellbau USA)
Ken Anderson (42-Percent-Products.com)
Peter Ayache (altecare.com)
Microchip (http://www.microchip.com)

Best Regards,
Ricardo.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44047.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	1868713   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92591.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	1868714   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26995.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	1868715   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl25223.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	226.9 KB
ID:	1868716   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vg55823.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	1868717  
Old 03-31-2013, 11:44 AM
RCpropo

Default RE: Unstable RC jet dynamically controlled

More Pictures

Name:	Db85628.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	1868745   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86517.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	1868746   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20921.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	1868747  
Old 03-31-2013, 12:22 PM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

5 years ago this was a very new idea. However, 3 axis systems are now abundant so nothing new here. I understand you are using airspeed as an input to control canards. If you want to impress, lets see it land completely hands off.

Love the jet though, can these still be purchased?
Old 03-31-2013, 07:37 PM
RCpropo

Essyou35,
Thanks for reading my post.

It is not my intention to get something or any place on the world. It is time to move forward with the technology and aerodynamic.
Scale 1:1 fighters as F16 to F22, Rafale, Su-30 to Su-37 need advanced computers onboard to help their pilot to control it, based on loop control systems and predictive software. It is not a secret that aerobatic planes have Flight CG behind the 25% of the wing cord or MAC. You can fly easily airplanes with CG behind 8% no problem, but 15% to 20% ??? On propeller airplane it is an interesting experience, but you have control because the propeller airwash ; on jets it is a unbelievable experience.

Canards on fighters airplanes were introduced not as lifting surface, but for two purposes: laminar layers control over fuselage/wing, and create aerodynamic balance effect as changing the surface geometry, changing the CG (more or less).

This model reported here , was made and modified specifically as bench test for this concept , all paid by myself and investing the most valuable thing in the life: "Time". The two prandtl pilots where builded by me specially for this plane; the circuit board that sense the two pitot pressures was designed, builded and programmed with complex statistic and logical routines by me; the other three boards were bought because they use a fast processor and the manufacturer provide it with basics routines and the hr is hyper good.

I know that great German companies as ACT and LF are making boards with gyros and accelerometers, and that is the way to go, and I hope in the future many jets be equipped with electronic devices that let fly jet completely unstable, giving a new safe dimension to our hobby.

Sorry by finishing the airplane after some years, it was almost ready 3 years ago but the job and electric helicopter fever put the project on hold.

Best Regards,
Rick.

Name:	Hf10151.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	1868959   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87529.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	1868960  
Old 03-31-2013, 08:01 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

so is it a good idea to experiment with an expensive jet of this size and complexity? I imagine the electronics arent all that big and heavy and could easily be stuck in a foamy electric
Old 03-31-2013, 08:38 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey Rick, do you use the 2 pitot tubes together to directly read angle of attack?
Old 03-31-2013, 09:08 PM
RCpropo

Hello Matt,
Nop. Both work as twins, the board checks both and use the information of the bigger air pressure value (or airspeed).
The system needs the airspeed to work, it is critical during the flight. if no airspeed is getting, the processor means as the airplane must go nose down; if the airplane increases the speed with canard on negative incidence.....you can imagine......
The software detect the failure and blink a led to advise the anomalie and says which is left or right.

To do what you want is not so difficult, you can use two pitot at very specific angles each one, and the microcontroler make the calculations using trigonometry. if you want to use one pitot, the main tube is thick enough to have a wide nozzle with both dynamic ports or holes.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:31 PM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: RCpropo

Essyou35,
Thanks for reading my post.

It is not my intention to get something or any place on the world. It is time to move forward with the technology and aerodynamic.
Scale 1:1 fighters as F16 to F22, Rafale, Su-30 to Su-37 need advanced computers onboard to help their pilot to control it, based on loop control systems and predictive software. It is not a secret that aerobatic planes have Flight CG behind the 25% of the wing cord or MAC. You can fly easily airplanes with CG behind 8% no problem, but 15% to 20% ??? On propeller airplane it is an interesting experience, but you have control because the propeller airwash ; on jets it is a unbelievable experience.

Canards on fighters airplanes were introduced not as lifting surface, but for two purposes: laminar layers control over fuselage/wing, and create aerodynamic balance effect as changing the surface geometry, changing the CG (more or less).

This model reported here , was made and modified specifically as bench test for this concept , all paid by myself and investing the most valuable thing in the life: ''Time''. The two prandtl pilots where builded by me specially for this plane; the circuit board that sense the two pitot pressures was designed, builded and programmed with complex statistic and logical routines by me; the other three boards were bought because they use a fast processor and the manufacturer provide it with basics routines and the hr is hyper good.

I know that great German companies as ACT and LF are making boards with gyros and accelerometers, and that is the way to go, and I hope in the future many jets be equipped with electronic devices that let fly jet completely unstable, giving a new safe dimension to our hobby.

Sorry by finishing the airplane after some years, it was almost ready 3 years ago but the job and electric helicopter fever put the project on hold.

Best Regards,
Rick.
Que mas ricardo....

No need to make excuses... This is what this forum became. Very hard to get any positive or constructive feedback here.

Awesome job. Better post it at rcjetaddiction.com It is a much more constructive and positive group of jet lovers.

See you there
Gerardo
Old 04-01-2013, 02:36 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Please sell one of your unit to Glen
Old 04-01-2013, 05:48 AM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Rick,

Jack is right in every point of his post. Most of the guys here don't really understand what is going on here. Doing this with a foamie would be a joke and easily accomplished due to wing and cube loading differences on the airframe. Doing it with a heavily loaded model is an achievement.

Great job.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:52 AM
mtnflyer14

Fascinating work Ricardo. So, the airplane is using airspeed as the input to the microprocessers for the canards? Do you intend to use angle of attack at some point?
Regards,
Gus
Old 04-01-2013, 08:08 AM
RCpropo

Mtnflyer14,
At the future, yes , I will experiment with AoA sensor and controllers, I have some ideas about it. But one step at the time. The system described here bring a easy picture, but it is not.

The appropriated AoA sensor for acrobatic airplane is the Vane type. 4 years ago there were not very small commercial magnetic potentiometers to sense angle (maybe today it is available), but more important factor is the Vane design because of a scale factor named Reinold number; but I am sure some guy will find the right small vane shape using an air tunnel.

As I wrote before, it is possible to make an AoA with two pitots for non acrobatic airplane or for landing purpose only. For acrobatic it is necessary 3 pitots at different angles and on the same spot (it is really ugly).........

Yes, it uses the airspeed and gyro sense to control canards. Airspeed also control sensitivity of Vector Nozzle, it releases you of additional switch flip after/before maneuvers.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:10 AM
RCpropo

Gerardo and John,
Thanks by your words.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:14 AM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wow, I guess my inquiry really shows just how stupid some of us are.....The point of my question is that was your 1st attempt at this using that model or did you experiment with a smaller more expendable model? My ignorance shows[:@] against the "The Big Bang Theory " crowd....
Old 04-01-2013, 08:34 AM
essyou35

Back in 2003 I built an MP3 player for my car using a single board computer, my own software, using linux, powered the computer by the car using my own power supply etc. I had an 8gb hardrive and an LCD display run off the serial port.

Back in 2003 this was very innovative and mp3 players were expensive and 8gb of MP3 was unheard of. However, If I poseted this today, people would say it was a great innovation, but we have similar or much better thnings now.

Thats all I meant. I do recognize the achievement its just a bit dated is all. I see these types things all over.

Can you give you some more details, what PIC you used, code etc. How about some pictures of the hardware involved?

I have an arduino in my fej f-16 as my sequencer, so I do know the risks involved with putting your own unstested stuff in a jet. Another guy on here made a "flame out" indicator on a twin setup.

We are just seeing more and more of this now its really cool!
Old 04-01-2013, 08:34 AM
RCpropo

Hello Ram-bro,
Your question is valid, and the explanation that Mr. Redman did is 100% right.

We are here to share experiences , it is the way to help or be an inspiring thrust for future developments.

Yes, long time ago I experimented a simple stabilizer system on a flat foam airplane, but what Redman says about wing load, inertial weight, airspeed capabilities, all are very different. On experimental models, there is a stage where you must take the risk and no look back.

Regards,
Ricardo.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:41 AM
RCpropo

essyou35,
The processor used on the airspeed board is a microchip 18F1320 running with the internal clock at 8Mhz.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:39 AM
Jack Diaz

Great job Ricardo... as usual !!
Great to see you are using your technology background to improve the hobby.
Give me a call, I will like to see your baby flying.
Say hello to dad and mom.

Jack
Old 04-01-2013, 11:46 AM
Eddie P

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really like the work you have done here!! Very Nice! I will be following with interest, please keep us up to date. But, I think it was a valid conversational question earlier to ask if you had experimented with foamies, and no, those experiments would not be "a joke" either! Your experiments are impressive though and have a lot of capacity to advance thought and methods.

I'm sure you have probably looked into how easy it is to measure AOA these days with pneumatic/electronics available. There are a lot of off the shelf technologies today for experimental aircraft ops, seems like everyone is flying AOA in light sport aircraft today and the prices are low. Just not as much hobby grade stuff to match prices and micro size equipment we require but adaptations are an interesting thing to ponder.

http://www.advanced-flight-systems.c...s/AOA/aoa.html
http://www.affordablepanels.com/aoa.htm

Do you know of any hobby grade AOA systems out there?

Are you using voice telemetry feedback to an earbud, etc?
Old 04-01-2013, 06:30 PM
warbirdmaniac
My Feedback: (2)

Hey there Mr. Rc propo,,,I just got done writing a few rants on this other question a guy had on Balancing his new flying thingamgig,,on my way back to the "where do i spend all my kids college fund,,ie- junk for sale,,)  I came across your queery,,How too question if i understood it correctly,,soory im a grade three graduate,,and you,,are CLEARLY an Electronical engineer,,but if youll entertain my idiocy for a moment,,i think i may be able to help you with your quest to find control of your project,,,its real real simple,,,,GET IN IT!!!!!!   YOUR ASSS will TELL you CLEARLY what the plane is doing!!!  with out ANY doubt!!!  Im sorry but i just cant wrap my grade three educamatem mind around what you are doing,,but i can grasp WHY!!!   I just cant see the point???  unless your trying to get hired by lockheed?? why,,,

Dont you like FLYING rc models??  you know,,with the 2 or (thisll kill you! there was a time when guys flew with 1 !!!!!!  stick only!!  1 stick,,and a few ADJUSTMENTS,,buttt,,,) or your goal is to press a button,,the plane will leave mother earth,,perform a whole bunch of mathematically and geometrically perfect manouvers,,and then when youre bored of WATCHING,,return to earth safe and sound?? mission accomplished??

Egineers,,you are ALL too precise,,all too perfect,,,Yes,,you can enginamneer something to the 1,quadrillionth,,or tell me how long this bridge will last ,,assuming!!  factor X!!!  ,,,but,,you will never be able to factor,,my ass,,my ass,,tells me if something ENGINEERED works correctly or not,,,engineer a mathamatical ASS!!! and your golden,,till then??  cant you just try to ENJOY your models little innefiecencies??  you need to relax and ?? buy a Balsa USA  WW1 kit,,,when you open the box,,,dont get nervous,,its just WOOD,,,,

Old 04-01-2013, 06:55 PM
Eddie P

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good Lord. Did they leave the "poutine" out all day long at the Touche-Tard quickie mart in QC, or what? A full glass of water, a couple Advil and you are good to go. Nite-nite.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:51 PM
essyou35

Hi I'm from Canada.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:18 PM
JackD

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: warbirdmaniac

Hey there Mr. Rc propo,,,I just got done writing a few rants on this other question a guy had on Balancing his new flying thingamgig,,on my way back to the ''where do i spend all my kids college fund,,ie- junk for sale,,) I came across your queery,,How too question if i understood it correctly,,soory im a grade three graduate,,and you,,are CLEARLY an Electronical engineer,,but if youll entertain my idiocy for a moment,,i think i may be able to help you with your quest to find control of your project,,,its real real simple,,,,GET IN IT!!!!!! YOUR ASSS will TELL you CLEARLY what the plane is doing!!! with out ANY doubt!!! Im sorry but i just cant wrap my grade three educamatem mind around what you are doing,,but i can grasp WHY!!! I just cant see the point??? unless your trying to get hired by lockheed?? why,,,

Dont you like FLYING rc models?? you know,,with the 2 or (thisll kill you! there was a time when guys flew with 1 !!!!!! stick only!! 1 stick,,and a few ADJUSTMENTS,,buttt,,,) or your goal is to press a button,,the plane will leave mother earth,,perform a whole bunch of mathematically and geometrically perfect manouvers,,and then when youre bored of WATCHING,,return to earth safe and sound?? mission accomplished??

Egineers,,you are ALL too precise,,all too perfect,,,Yes,,you can enginamneer something to the 1,quadrillionth,,or tell me how long this bridge will last ,,assuming!! factor X!!! ,,,but,,you will never be able to factor,,my ass,,my ass,,tells me if something ENGINEERED works correctly or not,,,engineer a mathamatical ASS!!! and your golden,,till then?? cant you just try to ENJOY your models little innefiecencies?? you need to relax and ?? buy a Balsa USA WW1 kit,,,when you open the box,,,dont get nervous,,its just WOOD,,,,

Thank you so much to proving me correct on my previous post....

PS: Ricardo is without a doubt one of the top pilots I've seen fly. I'm talking David S, Ali, Rob Lynch type of good (at pattern, jets, helis... anything you can throw at him). So no, he is not doing this cause he cant fly.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:40 PM
warbirdfanatic

Those darn Trolls.......

All I can say is keep up the good work, it's not about making a jet automated here, it's too smooth out any potential errors as we all know that it's easy to get a bird in the air, the landing is the part we all have to be careful with!
Old 04-02-2013, 12:37 AM
C_Roundy

ORIGINAL: warbirdmaniac

Hey there Mr. Rc propo,,,I just got done writing a few rants on this other question a guy had on Balancing his new flying thingamgig,,on my way back to the ''where do i spend all my kids college fund,,ie- junk for sale,,) I came across your queery,,How too question if i understood it correctly,,soory im a grade three graduate,,and you,,are CLEARLY an Electronical engineer,,but if youll entertain my idiocy for a moment,,i think i may be able to help you with your quest to find control of your project,,,its real real simple,,,,GET IN IT!!!!!! YOUR ASSS will TELL you CLEARLY what the plane is doing!!! with out ANY doubt!!! Im sorry but i just cant wrap my grade three educamatem mind around what you are doing,,but i can grasp WHY!!! I just cant see the point??? unless your trying to get hired by lockheed?? why,,,

Dont you like FLYING rc models?? you know,,with the 2 or (thisll kill you! there was a time when guys flew with 1 !!!!!! stick only!! 1 stick,,and a few ADJUSTMENTS,,buttt,,,) or your goal is to press a button,,the plane will leave mother earth,,perform a whole bunch of mathematically and geometrically perfect manouvers,,and then when youre bored of WATCHING,,return to earth safe and sound?? mission accomplished??

Egineers,,you are ALL too precise,,all too perfect,,,Yes,,you can enginamneer something to the 1,quadrillionth,,or tell me how long this bridge will last ,,assuming!! factor X!!! ,,,but,,you will never be able to factor,,my ass,,my ass,,tells me if something ENGINEERED works correctly or not,,,engineer a mathamatical ASS!!! and your golden,,till then?? cant you just try to ENJOY your models little innefiecencies?? you need to relax and ?? buy a Balsa USA WW1 kit,,,when you open the box,,,dont get nervous,,its just WOOD,,,,

Good Lord Indeed! This individual may be the purest bundle of sunshine and joy that I've had the privilege to witness spewing sewage in this century.
Clearly we need to harness his almighty wisdom, skill, and especially tact by making him a moderator.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.