Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

FLORIDA JETS MOVING?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems
View Poll Results: A poll
Move to Hard Surface Runway
71.17%
Stay at Current Site (Paradise Field)
28.83%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

FLORIDA JETS MOVING?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 03:05 PM
Frank Ts Stuff
My Feedback: (130)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FLORIDA JETS MOVING?

FLORIDA JETS MOVING?

Because this is one of those times in my life I just don’t know what to do! At Florida Jets this past March, 2013, I must have had dozens of pilots come to me and make comments that the Grass Runway was the best shape ever and they found NO problems with it at all. BUT, I also had a few pilots come to me and tell me that they really prefer a hard surface, AND, I beleive that there were plenty of others who felt this way but didn’t want to tell me.

With that in mind, I looked for another site. I found one, about 40 miles North of Lakeland. The airport is in a friendly community, perhaps not quite as hip as Lakeland, rather quiet, but with an airport with a hard surface taxiway we are welcome to use. The taxiway is hard alright, but old. It has cracks everywhere, but not deep ones. Maybe ¼ inch wide at max. And a little uneven. I do NOT know if the roughness will cause any more problems with your jet than the roughness of the current grass runway. I have asked the “city” if they might be able to do a thin resurface. Don’t know yet, but I am staying on top of it.

So practicing majority rules, here’s the poll question:
IF YOU are a participant of Florida Jets, would you prefer we move to another site with a hard surface runway OR do you think the current site is just fine? We’ll let this run for a month and then make a decision. IF we do move, we will not be able to return to the grass runway. A War Bird event will take over that slot.

I don’t think this should turn into a discussion over the good and bad things about grass, we already know what they are. But rather, if you ARE a PILOT that HAS flown from the current runway, what do you think?

Thanks very much, I know these polls are a pain in the phistaris, but this one is important because the decision that comes from it will impact many folks!

-FT
Old 04-03-2013, 03:16 PM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: FLORIDA JETS MOVING?

Frank/Sean,

Can you tell us more about the airspace in the new place compared to lakeland? open? any limitations on the sides? position with respect to the Sun?

I would take that into the mix before changing places just to move from grass to asphalt. For example, Paradise field is really good in terms of sun position during the day, I would not leave grass for asphalt if the sun will be in our face half the day

Thanks for the info and also thanks for looking to improve the event

Jack G
Old 04-03-2013, 03:30 PM
Frank Ts Stuff
My Feedback: (130)

ORIGINAL: JackD

Frank/Sean,

Can you tell us more about the airspace in the new place compared to lakeland? open? any limitations on the sides? position with respect to the Sun?

I would take that into the mix before changing places just to move from grass to asphalt. For example, Paradise field is really good in terms of sun position during the day, I would not leave grass for asphalt if the sun will be in our face half the day

Thanks for the info and also thanks for looking to improve the event

Jack G
Hi Jack-

Frank will begin monitoring this thread in the morning so he will respond to your post.

Thanks for the interest!
Sean
Old 04-03-2013, 04:59 PM
SStricker

I agree sun position is important but also what might we be overflying. I flew at FJ this year and had no issues with the grass and enjoyed the event. But I didn't take the less proven airplane because of concern over what was on either end of the flight area. If the new site were obstruction free that would influence my vote more than the grass vs paved issue. The grass was excellent this year.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:04 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe if we knew where the site was and could look at it on Google Earth it would help people vote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:48 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Can't you guys find a NAVY base or Airforce base? Certainly enough in Florida, Hell move the event to the Pan Handel, plenty of flying site in North west Florida with paved runways
Old 04-03-2013, 06:04 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Navy or Air Force will not just let a bunch of civilian model flyers use their property.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:08 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

The NAVY is funny about their stuff just ask the Pensacola crew, using a civil airport is the best option. I have always wanted to attend FL Jets because I heard it was the best around, but the year I got my first jet was when they went to a grass runway and I personally will not fly on grass.
ORIGINAL: DiscoWings

Can't you guys find a NAVY base or Airforce base? Certainly enough in Florida, Hell move the event to the Pan Handel, plenty of flying site in North west Florida with paved runways
Old 04-03-2013, 06:34 PM
DiscoWings

ORIGINAL: dubd

The Navy or Air Force will not just let a bunch of civilian model flyers use their property.
WHAT? http://www.eglinaeromodellers.org/ this is the Largest Air Force base in the World and the RC club is smack down in the middle on a 2 mile long paved runway.

Here are some more:

http://www.nfmi.org/index.php

2 of them are on a NAVY BASE
Old 04-03-2013, 06:38 PM
DiscoWings

Here is the EGLIN 2 mile runway:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCFpZZElL-Y
Old 04-03-2013, 06:42 PM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: DiscoWings

ORIGINAL: dubd

Here are some more:

http://www.nfmi.org/index.php

2 of them are on a NAVY BASE

You failed to read the site information about this location ....

NOLF Spencer Field has been closed Indefinitely to model flying until further notice.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:57 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Disco, I meant that Navy and Air Force bases seem to balk at large events being held on DoD property. Would be cool if Eglin would host. I lived there for 6 years as a kid, so it would be great to visit.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:16 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Frank,

Please tell us more! Is it Leesburg, Kissimmee...?

Also, I don't know if you have reconsidered, but Bunnel was a GREAT site and I don't think you'll find many pilots that will disagree, if any. The turnout there was exceptional and the facility was outstanding from a pilot and vendor standpoint. I know it wasn't "perfect"; and I do remember the "bad" (such as the MUD & getting stuck, further transit for you, etc.), and I'm sure there are things I'm not aware of such as the reasons that led to leaving in the first place. That was many years ago and things change; maybe a revisit is in order? Just throwing it out there in case anyone else was thinking the same thing.

George
Old 04-04-2013, 03:48 AM
FTiano
My Feedback: (11)

EXACTLY what I wished would not happen has happened! It doesn't matter if there is an airport somewhere else far away, the logstics of me transporting crew and materials a long distance is overpowering! I just wanted to know IF PAST PILOTs prefer me to change the site. Nothing else. The new site is Zephyrhills Airport. We would use an abandoned Taxiway located in the Southeast corner. The runway runs about 20 degrees tothe North from true East West. So we would face North while flying. In the far Northwest corner of oour "Box" there are a couple of hangers, probably about 1400 feet away. The surrounding area is kind of "rough" terrain. Grassy, but bumpy, not quite as level as where we currently fly from. The taxiway has a slight "crown" to it, meaning it is not perfectly flat and it is crazed with little spiderweb cracks everywhere. The cracks are NOT large enough that a wheel might get caught, but the surface is NOT really smooth, slightly bumpy. I am told that the reason some guys don't like the grass at Paradise Field is that they feel the natural ground creates a bit of shaking during takeoff and that may lead to the damage of a component. This may do the same, I really don't know! The town has no large restaurants, and very few "bars" but a lot of Mom and Pop type places. And no Hotels, but a lot of Motels, some fairly decent. It is 40 miles North of Lakeland.AGAIN, the question in this Poll is: Do you WANT me to change the location of Florida Jets. This place is the only place that works and is a reasonable distance for me to work with. Remember, I have NO volunteers at all. Everybody is a paid person, so that means a crew to set up fences, signs, and flight line barriers, collect trash, park cars, register pilots etc. And it is the only place that was willing to work with me. Most airport personnel find it far easier to say NO than yes! So, I am not being Rude here, but it doesn;t matter about Pensacola, Bunnell or East Podunk. And it should only concern those who come, or have come, to Florida Jets, not someone who never has, who has no idea of what our grass runway is like.Thanks.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:57 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

No malice intended Frank, I was just asking because I didn't know; and you answered, Thanks for the info.

We'll be there where ever you decide!
Old 04-04-2013, 05:15 AM
Gixxy
My Feedback: (18)

I'd say keep it on the grass. There will always be mixed feelings about how/where a event is held. I'd much rather fly off a grass that maybe takes a slightly longer takeoff roll then worry about cracks etc in a older runway/taxiway. Not to mention after watching some gear failures and flameouts the location is fantastic. It's a great event and a great location imho. But I have a feeling the hard surface votes will win this one out. I also have a feeling there will be a whole new set of complaints when it moves. But some people are GREAT at complaining ! Keep doing what your doing

And I just hit the first reply button I saw. This isn't in any way shape or form a reply to you George ! I just noticed it said in reply to George.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:29 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I thought about coming but decided no since it is grass. I've never attended so my vote doesnt count. Unless you have attended, AND flown, you should refrain from voting IMO. Leave it to the actual flying participants to decide, so I would recommend reaching out to the roster to really get a feel for it. You'll have car guys in here voting, and wannabees who dont even own jets.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:30 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Frank how will it work out with airspace? Will the airport still be open for Fullscale planes during the event?
Every time we fly into that airport their are parachuters up and down all day long it seems.

Another big part is spectators. Not sure how it would turn out their. Might be allot more with new Tampa so close but would hate to see less then what we get at lakeland. FLjets 08 is what got me back into RC flying

Either way I will be flying at Paradise field for TG and Monsterplanes so I will be attending no matter where it ends up. Also appreciate all the hard work you put into the events. First class all the way!

Old 04-04-2013, 06:10 AM
vinnyjet
My Feedback: (39)

does anyone miss flagler beach
vinny
Old 04-04-2013, 06:15 AM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Frank,

I have been to FL jets for the last three years now, when i first came down and flew off the grass field it was basically a brand new grass field that was quite rough and not yet settled in. Then i attended the the warbird event the same year and it had improved a little bit. The next two years the field had really started to come around and i just think that it will only get better with time as the grass gets it's roots settled in and if you are able to keep up with the maintenance of the field it will only get better. I personally do not have any issues with flying off of the grass field. If anything for some people that might have a gear failure it has been a life saver on any repairs. I'd say go ahead and keep it at paradise field and keep up the good work on running the event. Also it's in a great location with plenty of hotels and after flying, there are plenty of places for entertainment.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:37 AM
WI53072

Would it be possible to install a hard surface at the site you are presently using? Good luck guys!
Old 04-04-2013, 08:10 AM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by bcovish; 06-07-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:11 AM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Best advise would be to have an event there. Ill come check it out!
Scott
Old 04-04-2013, 10:58 AM
Doolittleraider
My Feedback: (72)

I agree with Greg Wright. I have flown at all Fla jets at paradise field and it continues to improve.
hotels, near tampa ect. all important.

I also think the above vote is mis-leading
1. Most people who vote on RCU probably have not attended or Hard-on against grass. "grass sucks no matter what cause I have a jet and it needs pavement"
2. I think a picture of the runway and surrounding flying area you described v. Paradise field would sway more votes to stay a Paradise field
3. I believe Paradise field has saved more jets and damage to jets, than causing damage to a jet.

As It stands, based on what you described, I vote stay put.

Peter Miller
Old 04-04-2013, 11:25 AM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

FYI there was a a Model Club .. at MC dill AFB in tampa .. if I'm not mistaken but this was pre 9/11 and pre socom geting all fired up

and a SSCA ., auto cross car club

so I dunno

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.