Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Taft Hobby EPO Viperjet, 90mm EDF/micro turbine *Video*

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Taft Hobby EPO Viperjet, 90mm EDF/micro turbine *Video*

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 07:00 AM
steve2972
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So are the Tamjet Jet teng struts a drop in fit?Is the trunion hole on the taft re-tracts 4mm?
Old 11-05-2013, 12:42 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by steve2972
So are the Tamjet Jet teng struts a drop in fit?Is the trunion hole on the taft re-tracts 4mm?
No they are not drop in. Pin is 5mm.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:24 PM
luckyflyer

Henke, Do you know if in the Hab kolibri conversion kit the pipe is 46mm od or something else?

Last edited by luckyflyer; 11-08-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:07 PM
raptor30se

What is the length of the pipe required for this?
Old 02-14-2014, 10:59 PM
luckyflyer

The pipe that I got in the conversion kit (the one that Henke recommends) is 336 mm long from front edge of bell to end of pipe and 40 MM diameter.

Last edited by luckyflyer; 02-14-2014 at 11:01 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:44 PM
Henke Torphammar

Originally Posted by raptor30se
What is the length of the pipe required for this?
You got a hint in which region you need to be. Order your pipe longer then you need and use a pair of scissors to adjust the length. It needs to end 1-2" in to the outer shroud (the 90mm EDF duct) to get a nice venturi effect cooling things even on the ground.

Our kits are based on our testing and for just that setup so in other planes with other setups it might differ a bit.

We fount it beeing quite east to drop 1lb of push but still very doable to keep the full power, even with a slight gain if done right.

Same engine, same pipe, just diffrent positioning
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adO9NiI7edA Our longest 40mm pipe to date, for the Jepe Hawker Hunters that seems to be the next boom in foamy jets.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:23 PM
waynegal
My Feedback: (7)

Hi friends ,nice tread on the viperjet and very nice work you did to convert to turbine .I am about to test fly mine but I encounters a problem maybe you can help me ,My elavators are not tracking equallly together even the travel ,is there a way to solve this when using their stock electronic board ,it is mainly visible on full travel only i have about 6mm difference,?have you checked yours ?

Regards

Wayne
Old 04-10-2014, 12:52 AM
Henke Torphammar

Originally Posted by waynegal
Hi friends ,nice tread on the viperjet and very nice work you did to convert to turbine .I am about to test fly mine but I encounters a problem maybe you can help me ,My elavators are not tracking equallly together even the travel ,is there a way to solve this when using their stock electronic board ,it is mainly visible on full travel only i have about 6mm difference,?have you checked yours ?

Regards

Wayne
Check the linkage so that it's equal on both sides. I used dual channels in my Viper without the board and I switched to HS65HB servos too, so not much stock there I'm afraid. :P
Old 04-10-2014, 01:23 AM
waynegal
My Feedback: (7)

thanks for your help ,I solved it by seperating the channels ,

Many Thanks for your feedback,

Wayne
Old 08-09-2014, 07:07 PM
raptor30se

Finishing up mine but the pipe for the p20 conversion is a little long, should I trim it so it sits back about and 1" from the end of the plane for the venturi effect for cooling? Also I see many using 3mm festo's on the hardline from the fuel tank, I have always used them with tubing and not hardline, is there any concern for an air leak with the hardline coupled with a festo? Thanks
Old 08-17-2014, 03:08 AM
roalddogge

Hello everybody,

Inspired by this topic I started a conversion as well. I was already flying with the 6s pnp EDF version, so needed to do some rebuilds.

The conversion kit came from HAB.se, included the Kolibri.

The servo's were changed to HS-65MG, Tamjet struts and Hobbyking electric brakes were also installed.

I dumped the distribution board and door sequencer and ran everything from the transmitter (13 channels )

The conversion kit was fitting alright and no major issues where found. The only complain I could have is the size of the fuel tank as with the T35 it lasts 6 minutes or so.

Due to the much higher speed vs the 6s EDF version I have the impression that the plane flies much smoother and stable.

Below video was from the maiden. Nothing special just flying around. Later I made some more flights were the plane was pushed a bit harder but nothing of that footage was usable.

I would like to thank Henke for all the tips he gave me (tack så mycket )

Ro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKbGtae4k0I&feature=youtu.be
Old 08-17-2014, 09:01 AM
Henke Torphammar

Good to see you got going. With landings like that no need for Tamjet struts

The Viperjet is a really good performer already on EDF, but a bit short on flight time if you try to go fast. With the T35 of course fuel will empty faster, but still double the EDF or so. I think a T25 is the sweet spot for the Viperjet even if the extra kilo of push is fun to have there
Old 08-30-2014, 02:29 PM
Like2fly!

Hi Henke,
lots of handy info in this thread, thanks. I'm considering putting a Kolibri T35 in a Freewing Stinger 90.
what is the fuel consumption rate of the T35 at 30N and at 25N?
Or is that not the way to consider/compare which turbine?

This woiuld be my first Turbine.
cheers
Alex

Last edited by Like2fly!; 09-01-2014 at 03:39 AM.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:56 PM
alexis007

[/QUOTE]

what flight stabilizer are you using?
Old 10-20-2014, 11:21 PM
Henke Torphammar

Originally Posted by Like2fly!
Hi Henke,
lots of handy info in this thread, thanks. I'm considering putting a Kolibri T35 in a Freewing Stinger 90.
what is the fuel consumption rate of the T35 at 30N and at 25N?
Or is that not the way to consider/compare which turbine?

This woiuld be my first Turbine.
cheers
Alex
I would say they use about the same amount of fuel. More power is more fuel, but foames only needs the power in short bursts. T35 all the way
Old 10-20-2014, 11:23 PM
Henke Torphammar

Originally Posted by alexis007
what flight stabilizer are you using?
An early Eagle stabilizer. I use the new A3 Super now days

Old 10-21-2014, 10:12 AM
alexis007

Originally Posted by Henke Torphammar
An early Eagle stabilizer. I use the new A3 Super now days

Yes, that's what I've been using on my warbird and other airplanes too. And it's in my Viper jet also. But, I haven't maiden my Viper yet cause still waiting for Midi Fan Evo / HET 650-68-1500 combo with YEP 120A HV ESC (from HobbyKing).
And if I master flying this jet (probably after 20-flights), I would like to upgrade to Kolibri T25.

Henke, may I ask what F-Mode are you on Eagle A3 while flying? And also what is your Tx Low-Rate Settings: Weight and Expo?

Thanks,
Alex
Old 11-12-2014, 02:34 PM
Schiefsko

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi, I own both TH-Vipers, one with WeMoTec Midi Evo and one with Kolibri T25 turbine. I love both !
Now I made a redesign - maybe interessting:

http://youtu.be/9_UIbHErZZc Greetings from Austria - Peter

Last edited by Schiefsko; 11-12-2014 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:58 PM
SushiHunter

Originally Posted by Dr Honda
The key here is... you draw in "Cooling air" to protect the parts. If Henke set up is pipe properly... And I'm sure he did.... the venturi effect will draw cool air around the engine, and in turn... the foam never "Sees" the hot engine, or exhaust temps.

I have a little crappy T-45 that was meant for an EDF system... but I stuffed in a MW44, and I use a simple single wall pipe. Every event I go it... guys ask.... "Doesn't that get hot?" my answer is always "No, it doesn't." I still get a few guys who don't really believe me, so I start it up, and after 2 or 3 min of idling... the top of the fuse is still cool.
Another thing to consider too is, what is the average life span of a foamy? I've flown a hand full of foam a/c over the years and they don't hold up to the stress of simple prop and small EDF power plants along with flying and landing pressures. Foam deteriorates in average weather elements such as UV rays, etc. I wouldn't want to take the risk. thousands of dollars up in the air on a foam platform.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:54 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

For those of you in the states where did you buy your Lambert turbine?
Old 11-12-2014, 10:31 PM
Henke Torphammar

Originally Posted by alexis007
Henke, may I ask what F-Mode are you on Eagle A3 while flying? And also what is your Tx Low-Rate Settings: Weight and Expo?

Thanks,
Alex
I always start out with 2 or three modes where one is OFF! I take the plane up to a safe height and briefly tries the gyro, this to make sure everything works well. In this way I fount the 3D mode beeing lethal to use LOL. When adjusted the gains I remove the unwanted modes leaving the gyro always on in the normal gyro mode.

Gain setting are always different and you need to try them out. Viperjet uses as large throws as you can get and about 40% expo. I now days have asymmetric expo to make the plane react equal inverted too
Old 11-12-2014, 11:13 PM
Henke Torphammar

Originally Posted by SushiHunter
Another thing to consider too is, what is the average life span of a foamy? I've flown a hand full of foam a/c over the years and they don't hold up to the stress of simple prop and small EDF power plants along with flying and landing pressures. Foam deteriorates in average weather elements such as UV rays, etc. I wouldn't want to take the risk. thousands of dollars up in the air on a foam platform.
So what you are saying is that what I show video of working flawless are not true? Strange approach.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:30 AM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SushiHunter
Well, I do take the "risk", and no problems so far (Ready2Fly Venom and P20). I salute Henke for all his work with this, all the experiments, all the tricks and good advices from him
Continue your work Henke
Old 11-13-2014, 04:44 AM
Henke Torphammar

Thanks Carsten!

Most people who put a turbine in a foamy actually end up flying with their turbine and... that without the knees rattling... as it's an airframe worth only a couple of hundred dollars. And the good thing is that the foam acts as an airbag if the accident happens. This year I have seen two foamies go in pretty much straight down and in both cases the engines were perfectly fine.

The drawbacks of foam are mostly made up from to little education. The up side are huge if you can handle that the paint gets worn over time.

Last edited by Henke Torphammar; 11-13-2014 at 04:46 AM.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:33 AM
SushiHunter

Originally Posted by Henke Torphammar
So what you are saying is that what I show video of working flawless are not true? Strange approach.
Oh it works, but the premise of my post is: for how long? Again, I've flown prop and edf foamies in the past and they don't hold up so well over time and don't have a decent service life span in comparison to the fiberglass & balsa nitro and EDF kits that I've built and flown for years. Best case scenario is it will be the same for one with a turbine power plant. I'm pretty sure a foamy with a turbine power plant and operating system, it's going to be one of those situations where the pilot is going to have to determine and stick with it basically a max flight number and/or time frame of practical operation, such as 20 flights or 8 months, which ever comes first, and then toss the foamy airframe and get another one for the electronics and power plant system.

Another question I have is how much do these type of airframes actually cost to pop out (time & materials) once the molds have been created? And how much are they sold for? IMO foamy sale prices have been so over priced it's pathetic when considering how much the main airframe material (foam) costs. Like for instance, the foam to pop out a Parkzone Stryker airframe cost like what, $0.10 USD, but they sell it for $28.00... you get the point.

But I do like the gear. Very snazzy. I'd love to have those on my Habu 32.

Last edited by SushiHunter; 11-13-2014 at 09:01 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.