Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Trust, but verify, Chinese Manufactured ARF's.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Trust, but verify, Chinese Manufactured ARF's.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 09:15 PM
Kelly Rohrbach
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Trust, but verify, Chinese Manufactured ARF's.

Great choice Raf
The F-100 and F4 are the John Wayne of jets. Although a bit of a build, and not much head scratching either you know what you have when your done. And while your building it you can be rest assured its worth the effort!!
Arf's can be great and fill a need but I still prefer an excellently produced kit that has an excellent reputation and pedigree, exactly what you get in the BVM F-100. And of course dealing with Patty is just icing on the cake!!
Old 04-23-2013, 07:01 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

ORIGINAL: AFTERBURNER1

Ahhh yeah,, raf build with the smeared hysol....
Oh yeah? Says the guy who can't build anything! LOL!!

Looking forward to flyin' it with da Bros!
Old 04-23-2013, 07:09 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ravill

There are rumors he cleaned some CA off the guy who fixed his foam Habu.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:40 PM
roger.alli

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's it.

I can NO LONGER continue working on this F-16. Even if I got it flight worthy and if it flew great, there are principles involved now.

I love airplanes and I love jets.

And I LOVE flying R/C jets.

Just having a flying pig time bomb, ESPECIALLY in the world we are living in RIGHT NOW (my heart goes out to all in Boston), it sends a bad message to other R/c'ers out there.

I just got off the phone with my favorite person in the R/C jet world; Patty Generali (If you don't know her, you ain't nobody, btw ). Daddy's getting a brand SPANKIN new BVM F-100!!! Woohoo!!! Make some room Jack Diaz Sr. and Jr., Dan Avila, Dantley. I'm coming with mine.

Good move Raf…..

You may have wandered from the true path for a little while, but the Purple Kool aide is just too strong to resist forever!!

I have it on very good authority that the Hun is an all round superb model. Some say better than a Bandit. It will be interesting to see your take on that.

And you are quite correct about Patty. She is the BEST.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:54 PM
rbxbear44
My Feedback: (86)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

In lieu of a long list of airplane deaths from ALL these chinese manufactures, I'd like to point out some obvious defects.

The fly eagle 1/5.5 F-16 had been known to have some elevator issues, ie, fluttering inflight, loss of control, etc....

And a recent loss of over $20k from a fly eagle jet, I'd like to caution EVERYONE to check and reinforce their ARF's.

I am in the middle of building an the older Fried Beagle F-16 1/5.5 and this is what I found when I cut into the elevator components to check for strength.

Do you see substantial glue? And in some places, NO GLUE??!!!

And the Vertical Stab mounting area looks the same.

This will all have to be reinforced.
Ok, I had to step in here...not for any other reason than just to say there are guys out flying that DO check things as we build and before we fly. Because of the recent flood of pictures on RCU, I want there to also be a picture like this one of the Stab pivot section of a new generation 1/5.5 F-16 from FEJ I opened up two nights ago. This is not the best picture but let me tell you what I saw personally that this pic only tells a bit of the story about...

The mechanism itself is hard Steel with bearings at the end of both sides of the pivot, with a Brass sleeve in the middle that rotates wit the stab movement and bearings too. The Steel box is bolted to a Front Bulkhead of 1/4" Aircraft Pyl that is pressure laminated with 1/32 CF plating. The rear bulkhead that holds the pivot box is 3/16" Aircraft Ply. The ends of the box that actually hold the bearing pivots are 1/4" Aircraft Ply and run outward several inches on each side to spread the load of the pivot shaft and anchor points on the fuse. Of course, there is a Steel shaft from the Stab that comes into this "box". BTW, the CF arm that is going across the top of the inside there is the pull arm for the working Speed Brakes and not a part of the structure. I have had 3 of these F-16's in 1/5.5, this one I am just completing and two others...the first one was one of the first 10 FEJ built...still flying today almost 5 years later.

I opened up the first one as I did this one, finding it "ok" but (I tend to over build since I am not a engineer) did some reinforcing with Kevlar and Hysol. Seeing your pics...I have not had my F-16's like that at all, even the first generation one from 4 1/2 years ago.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70175.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1875685  
Old 04-23-2013, 08:32 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Do you plan to x ray any stabs to see if the have bolts running through unsupported honeycomb?
Old 04-23-2013, 08:35 PM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I maintain my toys after they are built.

Never cared or gave a hoot bout building..

I'll give you a ring the next time we make the trek...
Old 04-23-2013, 08:38 PM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See you soon Raf... I'll be sending you some pics this sat.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:02 AM
rbxbear44

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

Do you plan to x ray any stabs to see if the have bolts running through unsupported honeycomb?
I do better...I actually open the Stabs to see what's in there with my own eyes!

I saw the same type of construction as with the Pivot box on the Fuse. One thing I suggested to FEJ after opening up these areas, was to create access hatches to them for the airframe owners to inspect over the life of the airframe. It's just an idea but would be nice to have.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt55951.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	1875827  
Old 04-24-2013, 04:46 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Would almost be better if they left the stuff like the stab formers and other safety of flight stuff up to the builder to install.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:01 AM
rbxbear44

ORIGINAL: gunradd

Would almost be better if they left the stuff like the stab formers and other safety of flight stuff up to the builder to install.
Yea, it's a little bit of a pain in the rear to open these areas up and then fix the openings! But glad to do it. I guess since they now vacuum bag all of this stuff, it becomes stronger if these critical areas are done during the manufacturing process. It would just be great to have the access to the areas as I mentioned above for periodic and systematic airframe owner inspections. Again, just a thought...

Rex
Old 04-24-2013, 06:58 AM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rbxbear44

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

I do better...I actually open the Stabs to see what's in there with my own eyes!

I saw the same type of construction as with the Pivot box on the Fuse. One thing I suggested to FEJ after opening up these areas, was to create access hatches to them for the airframe owners to inspect over the life of the airframe. It's just an idea but would be nice to have.

It is a good idea to inspect inside, but aren´t you weakening a critical area with those hatches? I would fiberglass them to restore the skin continuity, not just screw panels

I would rather open a hole on the stab root and use one of those snake cameras to look inside

Just a thought
Jack
Old 04-24-2013, 08:09 AM
rbxbear44

Jack,
Great question...and I should have answered that one before it was asked...knowing it would be asked!

That is 1/16" thick G-10 material that has been Hysoled in place AFTER building 3 stringer structures into the Stab itself. It's even better now since the load center is even disbursed more since I increased the box lines of the Pivot shaft. Thos four screws only held in the AC Ply I used inside the skin when I was setting the G-10 material in place. I'll just let them stay in rather than back them out.

I did the same on the Fuse pivot shaft hosing too. Did not weaken at all...only strengthened. These are not "functional" hatches...they are closed in and sealed for good.

Rex
Old 04-24-2013, 10:12 AM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rbxbear44

Jack,
Great question...and I should have answered that one before it was asked...knowing it would be asked!

That is 1/16'' thick G-10 material that has been Hysoled in place AFTER building 3 stringer structures into the Stab itself. It's even better now since the load center is even disbursed more since I increased the box lines of the Pivot shaft. Thos four screws only held in the AC Ply I used inside the skin when I was setting the G-10 material in place. I'll just let them stay in rather than back them out.

I did the same on the Fuse pivot shaft hosing too. Did not weaken at all...only strengthened. These are not ''functional'' hatches...they are closed in and sealed for good.

Rex
Now i get it. I thought it was just a panel held with 4 screws.

thks
Jack