Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fly Eagle Jet F-14 Crash (video)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fly Eagle Jet F-14 Crash (video)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 06:42 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Fly Eagle Jet F-14 Crash (video)

I added annotations that go to the crash video.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:47 AM
lenhard2007
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was going to buy fej a-10 but because of thier lack of response to this issue with the honeycomb i will buy sm now. sorry for your loss.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:54 AM
dubd

ORIGINAL: lenhard2007

i was going to buy fej a-10 but because of thier lack of response to this issue with the honeycomb i will buy sm now. sorry for your loss.

I really wish I waited for the Skymaster F-14.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:58 AM
tamjets
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

Sorry in advance for not going back through the thread but did anyone post the pivot position as percentage of stabilator MAC?
Here is the picture before it happen. I think the pivot point to far back that put it out of aerodynamics balance. The faster the plane goes the more load it put on the stabs. The stabs flutter is got to do a lot with it.
Is not hard to test this. You don't need wind tunnel to test.
Manufacture or anyone had the kit can come up simple electric fan blowing 100-180 mph velocity over the the stabs to see if it aerodynamics balance.
If the stabs are aerodynamics balance. It doesn't take much torque to hold the stabs neutral.
If it not at right position. It will show it take a lot of torque to hold it neutral.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82622.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	1872914  
Old 04-17-2013, 07:06 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Scott you basically reiterated my point to FEJ (albeit in a much better way). This is a turning point for FEJ. They are at the cusp of either walking away from this or doing the right thing. This could be HUGE for them based on how they decide to handle it.

ALL EYES ARE ON FEJ RIGHT NOW. The decision you make will determine your ultimate success in this hobby in the United States. I hope you guys do the right thing toward the future of your company. It's never the issue that NO ONE will EVER have problems. The issue is how well does a manufacturer take care of the problems when confronted with them. You will be measured by your response and right now you are falling WAY short in the eyes of the community at large and even some of your most ardent supporters.

Andy
Old 04-17-2013, 07:15 AM
Jack Diaz
My Feedback: (1)

Andy, I don't want to sound pessimist, but nothing is going to happen.
People will continue lining up to buy "pretty" airplanes.
Once you buy them, is human nature to defend them. Until something happens !!

Jack

Old 04-17-2013, 07:17 AM
erh7771
My Feedback: (30)

What have other model makers done in the past to make things right in these cases?

Thx in advance for any input

regards
Old 04-17-2013, 07:19 AM
AndyAndrews

ORIGINAL: siclick33

I think that we have to take things in perspective and remember that, at the end of the day, these are still toys. There are many people who post on these forums who are highly qualified and talented aerospace professionals, with expert knowledge on design, materials, stress analysis, accident investigation etc etc. However, I don't think it follows that the people working for these model companies making these 'toys' are similarly qualified. If the boss of FEJ was a top aerospace engineer then he wouldn't be building models, he would be working in industry making much more money.

Look at the price of a bolt in your local DIY store and compare that to the cost of an approved bolt used on a full size aircraft. The difference is massive and if we want that level of regulation on our toys then you can expect a huge price hike, maybe ten times or more of the current prices.

Does that mean that we should accept models that might fall apart? Of course not. The TLAR (that looks about right) principle may be all that is required, provided that the model is comprehensively tested at and beyond its limits for a substantial amount of time and number of flights, before the model is released. If this is not good enough, where do we go next? Do we expect a full CFD analysis, wind tunnel testing, certification, approval etc etc. That all adds up to $$ and is way over the top and unrealistic to expect these companies to work to this sort of standard. If this was to happen then I believe that you will end up with 1 or 2 companies selling a couple of very simple models at extortionate prices.

What we do need though, is confidence that the models won't fall apart. As I mentioned above, I believe that this is achieved by manufacturers adopting a thorough flight testing programme and also by them listening to the customer when they uncover problems and working on fixing these issues as they arise. These 2 simple things may result in a huge improvement in the quality of the models and their safety, but these same 2 principles are the very ones that some of these companies seem completely uninterested in adopting.

I wouldn't underestimate the amount of money these guys make. They make plenty...certainly enough to put a jet through some basic and rudimentary professional aerodynamic tests. Not to be too picky but your kinda contradicting yourself when you say that they shouldn't hire professional engineers in the development of their jets yet we should all expect that their models don't fall apart in the air. Skymaster has been in development of their F-14 for years. They are testing and developing the best jet they can BEFORE putting it out to sell, not expecting the customers to fix them for them in the field. Just saying..
Old 04-17-2013, 07:23 AM
AndyAndrews

ORIGINAL: Jack Diaz

Andy, I don't want to sound pessimist, but nothing is going to happen.
People will continue lining up to buy ''pretty'' airplanes.
Once you buy them, is human nature to defend them. Until something happens !!

Jack

If they don't make it right for Dantley things will not go well for them. Mark my words. They have another thing coming to them if they expect to treat people like this and have a friendly welcome at Jet events. I will personally see that each and every person attending the event knows what they did if I am there.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:32 AM
dbsonic
My Feedback: (3)

Not everyone reads RCU so unfortunately there will be customers oblivious to these issues with FEJ models.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:34 AM
dubd

ORIGINAL: erh7771

What have other model makers done in the past to make things right in these cases?

regards
I know of a number of cases where other manufacturers have replaced airframes. I know these people personally. A FEJ rep told me that no manufacturer provides replacement airframes after a crash...
Old 04-17-2013, 07:38 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to be too picky but your kinda contradicting yourself when you say that they shouldn't hire professional engineers in the development of their jets yet we should all expect that their models don't fall apart in the air.
No I'm not. Do you really think that all the models that we buy in the shops are designed by professional aerospace engineers?

I would be interested to know what NASA level engineer was involved in the design of something like the Boomerang Jets range of models and they seem to stay together ok (with the added caveat that I don't actually know Alan Cardash's credentials and who he had to help him so I might be barking up the wrong tree). They have, however, been thoroughly flight tested before you or I get to play with them. You might say that models like the Boomerangs are a different league to something like an F14 and I would agree. Maybe companies should know their limits and work up the complexity ladder, rather than jumping in at the deep end. I see that FEJ are already working on a bigger F14. God knows how that one will work out [X(]
Old 04-17-2013, 07:42 AM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Anton has in the past, and I know it first hand because it was my F-16 he replaced within days of being notified of the problem.

Furthermore, he replaced everything...gear, plane ETC with a bigger, better version.

The FEJ rep is wrong.

Beave

ORIGINAL: dubd

regards
I know of a number of cases where other manufacturers have replaced airframes. I know these people personally! A FEJ rep told me that no manufacturer provides replacement airframes after a crash... The rep and I know the same people, so either he has a really bad memory, or he was....
Old 04-17-2013, 07:44 AM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

If they don't make it right for Dantley things will not go well for them. Mark my words. They have another thing coming to them if they expect to treat people like this and have a friendly welcome at Jet events. I will personally see that each and every person attending the event knows what they did if I am there.
Wow Andy, that's pretty intense. I can understand why you feel that way what with you losing two FEJ jets due to shoddy design and workmanship. Did the tailpipe collapse on your F-18 result in a total loss? It sure was spectacular when the wing blew off on your F-16 at Kentucky during the high G turn.

Regards,

Jim
Old 04-17-2013, 07:45 AM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: David Searles

ORIGINAL: YellowAircraft

John,

Thanks for the explanation. It 'helps' in the sense that I now know that some people mean 'balanced on the pivot' when they say ''mass-balanced'', but it leaves me more confused because it seems to ignore everything I wrote after ''...does 'mass-balanced' mean...'' You're saying they're balanced on the pivot, then un-balanced to make it feel better for the pilot? Not only do I not get that, but it seems a demonstration that the surface is, in fact, not balanced on the pivot. Anyone who's ever pulled on the yoke of a piper aircraft knows that the stab is QUITE tail-heavy until the prop-wash aerodynamically balances it. In fact, that aero-balancing seems effective enough that they put a tab on it that resists your input and gives it some force-feel.

It may not seem like it, but I'm really trying to understand this.
Sean,

I could be wrong, but think of this example: I balanced the stabs on my 1/7 F-18F, so well in fact that the JR 8711 servos had a hard time determining their ''center''. They would hunt back and forth until a load was placed on them, then they would lock in. I think he is saying the same thing. If the stabs are perfectly balanced there is no feel. Leave them just slightly out of balance and the feel returns. Overall they are balanced, just not completely neutral. I eventually took a little of the weight out of my stabs to create the same effect and the servos stopped the chatter.

David S
Hi David,
That is exactly what I was trying to say, thank you.
Shaun, like many thing with aeroplanes it is a compromise. If you completely statically balance your surface, (tailplane rudder or aileron). it will not suffer this mode of flutter, although there are other flutter modes. However the aircraft is not very nice to fly like this, so a compromise position is reached. Enough mass behind the pivot to provide the pilot with feel, but not enough to induce flutter below VNE. I statically balance all the surfaces that it is physically possible to balance.
John
Old 04-17-2013, 07:56 AM
AndyAndrews

ORIGINAL: rcjets_63

Wow Andy, that's pretty intense. I can understand why you feel that way what with you losing two FEJ jets due to shoddy design and workmanship. Did the tailpipe collapse on your F-18 result in a total loss? It sure was spectacular when the wing blew off on your F-16 at Kentucky during the high G turn.

Regards,

Jim
Yes the F-18 was a total loss due to the rear section of the pipe blowing off in flight. I really don't want to hijack this thread with my personal issues with FEJ. All I will say is that I lost two jets because of structural failures and I will never buy another. All of these things they are doing to Dantley just opens the wounds up again. Sorry.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:09 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: Airplanes400

I have yet to see a Chinese jet flight-demonstrated and flown like a BVM jet. It also appears that dubd flew his jet rather conservatively, yet it still failed. That's just poor engineering.

To be fair, I have owned and flown several 1/8 F-16s. SM and FEJ included. I flew them harder than any other jets I've owned (including my Bandit). They were highly aerobatic and stable.
Given, these are smaller airframes with tiny wings....which is pretty hard to mess up the design. Besides, the FEJ F-16 was a carbon copy of the SM, even tanks and some of the hardware. The LG parts were fully interchangeable.

Ironically, when I lost my FEJ F-16 and tried to get a replacement airframe.... I quickly found out that the price had increased because the new version is honeycomb. I decided to go with the cheaper Skymaster model, trough BVM (who would have thought!).
Old 04-17-2013, 08:13 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

regards
I know of a number of cases where other manufacturers have replaced airframes. I know these people personally. A FEJ rep told me that no manufacturer provides replacement airframes after a crash... The rep and I know the same people, so either he has a really bad memory, or he was....
Not just jets. I lost a BME Yak-54 a couple of years ago. They sent me a new airframe after the wing desintegrated in the air.

CARF also replaced a crap load of F3A Impacts (?) as the fuselage would wiggle the tail like a happy puppy, to distruction!!
Old 04-17-2013, 08:18 AM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea, enough is enough!
Sorry Andy, but I had forgotten about your experiences! I'm sure there are many more horror storys. Ones we never heard of and also forgotten.
sorry bud!

Anton stands behind his products 100%!
I was one of the first big F86 owners that found the fin defect. He replaced jet 100%.
Stand up guy! Replied immediately and took care of it. Fixed all other F86 immediately.
The most reputable guy in the business!
Scott
Old 04-17-2013, 08:21 AM
henschel
My Feedback: (47)

If you want to make sure your plane is not going to come apart in midair I say build it yourself. Then you will know it will not come apart. If it does only one to blame is yourself.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95753.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	1872922  
Old 04-17-2013, 08:25 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have yet to see a Chinese jet flight-demonstrated and flown like a BVM jet. It also appears that dubd flew his jet rather conservatively, yet it still failed. That's just poor engineering.

Hi,

You gotta get out more. Y/A jets (which are Chinese) and the ARF's (when we made them) are airworthy and have been flown WOT on powerplants much larger than recommended. They've been doing this for decades.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:26 AM
AndyAndrews

ORIGINAL: henschel

If you want to make sure your plane is not going to come apart in midair I say build it yourself. Then you will know it will not come apart. If it does only one to blame is yourself.
True that.. Man what a beauty!
Old 04-17-2013, 08:28 AM
AndyAndrews

Hi,

You gotta get out more. Y/A jets (which are Chinese) and the ARF's (when we made them) are airworthy and have been flown WOT on powerplants much larger than recommended. They've been doing this for decades.
You have to consider who made the statement as to the validity of content..
Old 04-17-2013, 08:36 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Hi,

You have to consider who made the statement as to the validity of content..
True Andy
But I am on my 2nd yellow airframe and love them. Even stuffed a K180 inside my raptor and flew most of the flight at full throttle pulling the nuts out of it and it held up just fine.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:37 AM
Reinol
My Feedback: (22)

regards
I know of a number of cases where other manufacturers have replaced airframes. I know these people personally. A FEJ rep told me that no manufacturer provides replacement airframes after a crash... The rep and I know the same people, so either he has a really bad memory, or he was....

Skymaster replaced a Hawk I lost at FJ last year. Anton himself came over and found something that was questionable and immediately offered to replace it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.