Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fly Eagle Jet F-14 Crash (video)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fly Eagle Jet F-14 Crash (video)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 08:06 AM
DanSavage
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Fly Eagle Jet F-14 Crash (video)

ORIGINAL: dubd
Please do. It helps from a data/learning perspective.
The video of your F-14 shows classic rotation and plunge flutter. That is why the horizontal tails were fluttering about the pivot rod and at the same time flapping up and down like a bird's wings.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:15 AM
Nickallan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everybody keeps asking why buy Chinese crap because you know what you are going to get? Well the answer is simple, many of us did not fully know what we were going to get, as we have seen examples at meets and fields flying that looked really good. Yes, the allure of fej has been strong because the size and overall presentation has been pretty impressive for the price (Still is not that cheap of a model) But, there has also been a more recent decrease of quality and strength, as fej switched over to honeycomb as a structural component after many early versions were out flying successfully.

The whole point of this thread is NOT to continue to whine or be a witch hunt, but to use social media correctly as a group of consumers and put pressure on a manufacturer to better its processes and correct dangerously discovered issues. Until fej takes action and does proper R&D, or at least steps in and makes a concerted effort to provide good communication and customer support for their products, it is our obligation to expose fej and alert potential future customers of design flaws and quality control issues. If not for this thread I would have just assembled my early plywood F-14 looking through old build threads for hints and issues and gone flying, but now thanks to Dubd I will go as far to cut in the tail surfaces and make sure proper structure is in place to minimize potential loss and prove to CDs and AMA that it is airworthy. And yes we SHOULD expect to hear from fej and they SHOULD be active with consumers to better their products especially in this social media world or they run the risk of this hurting themselves financially.

I will also take an XL shirt and wear it proudly while I fly my fej reengineered product and explain to others why they need to be careful with their next jet purchase!!
Old 04-20-2013, 08:25 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Nickallan

Everybody keeps asking why buy Chinese crap because you know what you are going to get? Well the answer is simple, many of us did not fully know what we were going to get, as we have seen examples at meets and fields flying that looked really good. Yes, the allure of fej has been strong because the size and overall presentation has been pretty impressive for the price (Still is not that cheap of a model) But, there has also been a more recent decrease of quality and strength, as fej switched over to honeycomb as a structural component after many early versions were out flying successfully.

The whole point of this thread is NOT to continue to whine or be a witch hunt, but to use social media correctly as a group of consumers and put pressure on a manufacturer to better its processes and correct dangerously discovered issues. Until fej takes action and does proper R&D, or at least steps in and makes a concerted effort to provide good communication and customer support for their products, it is our obligation to expose fej and alert potential future customers of design flaws and quality control issues. If not for this thread I would have just assembled my early plywood F-14 looking through old build threads for hints and issues and gone flying, but now thanks to Dubd I will go as far to cut in the tail surfaces and make sure proper structure is in place to minimize potential loss and prove to CDs and AMA that it is airworthy. And yes we SHOULD expect to hear from fej and they SHOULD be active with consumers to better their products especially in this social media world or they run the risk of this hurting themselves financially.

I will also take an XL shirt and wear it proudly while I fly my fej reengineered product and explain to others why they need to be careful with their next jet purchase!!
Great attitude! FEJ prices are now higher than Skymaster.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:49 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For FEJ to maintain their desired profit margin in-light of falling sales, they have to raise their prices to the few remaining people that still want to buy their jets?

Given the history of Chinese jets in general, I'd never buy one.

All-in-all, it has always been worth it to me to buy BVM jets. No headaches, jets that are well-engineered and go together easily, and jets designed to last 20 years or more without structural issues. BVM has a reputation for all of this.

In the end, it always costs more to buy something that is cheap.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:14 AM
Reinol
My Feedback: (22)

ORIGINAL: Airplanes400

For FEJ to maintain their desired profit margin in-light of falling sales, they have to raise their prices to the few remaining people that still want to buy their jets?

Given the history of Chinese jets in general, I'd never buy one.

All-in-all, it has always been worth it to me to buy BVM jets. No headaches, jets that are well-engineered and go together easily, and jets designed to last 20 years or more without structural issues. BVM has a reputation for all of this.

In the end, it always costs more to buy something that is cheap.
Amen. I have been telling people this for a while!!!!!!

I have been flying BVM for about 20 years now and they have been the only planes I have owned that look like new after 100s of flights. This is the only reason I have decided not to buy Chinese anymore until they get their act together and give us BVM quality. I would not mind paying more to get the same quality as BVM but in new models. I have two, 60" sabres, two F4s, two F100s, and one 80" Sabre. I have had all his others so I have run out of new ones to buy. I even told BV that yesterday!!! LOL

Hopefully Skymaster will get there thanks to BVM and the fact that Anton is willing to listen and act on advice given!!!!!
Old 04-20-2013, 09:17 AM
dubd

Skymaster + BVM = Match made in heaven! Skymaster fills a void for modern military planes that BVM doesn't offer. The BVM team builds, flies, improves on Skymaster planes and the consumer wins.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:28 AM
tamjets
My Feedback: (2)

How can this loose elevator mechanist not crashing or flutter?
Many expert had been repeated over and over about pivot point and aerodynamic balance.
It doesn't matter how strong your servos or former. Flutter will break everything apart.
Dantley plane the whole rear fuse flex. That mean the bulkhead is solid. The flutter cause that flex.
The pivot point been at wrong location lead to major failure.

http://youtu.be/BU99poiI9N0
Old 04-20-2013, 09:40 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: tamjets

Many expert had been repeated over and over about pivot point and aerodynamic balance.
It doesn't matter how strong your servos or former. Flutter will break everything apart.
Dantley plane the whole rear fuse flex. That mean the bulkhead is solid. The flutter cause that flex.

Tam,

Dubds F-14 did not have a loose stab like that. I can assure you that they checked that before the first flight. And if it was that bad there is no way it would have lasted 25 flights.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:59 AM
tamjets
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

Tam,

Dubds F-14 did not have a loose stab like that. I can assure you that they checked that before the first flight. And if it was that bad there is no way it would have lasted 25 flights.
Dantley stabs is solid. The remain of one the stabs show is solid.
My point is showing that my kit had loose elevator mechanist and still able to fly and landed. That is mean if the stabs are areodynamic balance doesn't put that much load to the stabs.
Dantley stabs flutter so bad to shake the fuse. The first things is start with stabs is the major point start this crash. Honey cone material might not be the cause. But had to use ir right with that material. If bulk use with that material had to sandwich both side for mounting any thing had stress load.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:15 AM
dubd

Tam, the data on my pivot position has been posted. Do you think it is incorrect?
Old 04-20-2013, 10:19 AM
bluescoobydoo

there is a message on fej site it sounds like that they might be helping to replace the lost f14
Old 04-20-2013, 10:28 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

seems logical to me Tam. Based on that assumption, there are really two problems here.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:32 AM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: bluescoobydoo

there is a message on fej site it sounds like that they might be helping to replace the lost f14
http://www.flyeaglejet.com/en/index%20jet.html

actually , it looks like they are playing this whole thing off, defending the structural integrity of the elevator area in the f-14. and are implying bad installation by the customer. I guess they still are not aware of things like actually needing GLUE!, or the proper use of honeycomb

~V~
Old 04-20-2013, 10:32 AM
dubd

Not sure what Fly Eagle is talking about with the new message on their site as THEY HAVE NOT CONTACTED ME AT ALL.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:43 AM
speed is life

[quote]The FEJ web post:
We deeply feel sorry about the F14 wend down in California. We have put the jet model safety on top priority in these years and have spared effort to study advanced technology. We do feel very sorry for the F14 crash, which currently posed danger and threat to our factory. As to such side effects, our factory will never and ever accept anyone who gained personal benefits by means of threat. We sincerely accept all the suggestions and advices from you and would like to show our willingness to assist the clients who need our help. The case is under examine and inspection, will help the client to find the answer and re-build one.
[/b]

[/b]
Huh? "......gained personal benefits by means of threat"?
[/b]
Old 04-20-2013, 11:02 AM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Are the BVM kits made is USA? I thought someone posted on here before he bought one in a factory in china/taiwan?
Old 04-20-2013, 11:31 AM
Gra55h0pper

From my perspective, it doesn't matter so much where the jet is built. Many great products are built/assembled in China, Taiwan, etc.

To me, it's clear that this is a design related problem more than anything else. More rigorous testing would have found it. Better QA wouldn't (that's not to say we don't have a need for better QA!). If this design would have been manufactured here in the US in accordance with the design drawings, it would have unfortunately still have experienced flutter resulting in a loss of control.

This is also what's so concerning here. It's very hard for us modelers flying model airplanes as a hobby to detect design related problems that can generally only be found by testing or by other (more competent?) designers. It's a little bit easier to detect built/QA related problems, provide that they're not hidden (like e.g. missing glue joints inside wings, elevators, etc.).

BVM excels thanks to great design, QA and testing. Because of that, it doesn't matter so much any more where in the world their products are built (and I actually have no idea where that is...).
Old 04-20-2013, 11:57 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: wojtek

actually , it looks like they are playing this whole thing off, defending the structural integrity of the elevator area in the f-14. and are implying bad installation by the customer. I guess they still are not aware of things like actually needing GLUE!, or the proper use of honeycomb

~V~
Interesting that the F-14 that they show has all plywood bulkheads...

Bob
Old 04-20-2013, 12:03 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

"We deeply feel sorry about the F14 wend down in California. We have put the jet model safety on top priority in these years and have spared effort to study advanced technology."

Well there you go they spared effort and admit it.[&:]
Old 04-20-2013, 12:18 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

So they have time to post that on their website but not respond to Dantley. Yea, they are sparing allot of effort.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:20 PM
Shaun Evans

ORIGINAL: DanSavage

ORIGINAL: YellowAircraft

Hi,

Nothing in that article addresses full-flying stabs. That's what we're talking about. Invertmast asked about full-flying stabs on basically every aircraft built by man that has a full-flying stab, I've asked a bunch about Piper GA aircraft with full-flying stabs. For that matter, why are the elevators on Cessnas balanced on the hinge-line if it's a universal cure-all? Could it be that it's because there are other factors/considerations in design that might effect whether or not (or to what degree) balance should be done? Static balance as a RULE is nothing more than a 'common wisdom' misconception.
Actually, the article does address full-flying stabs, or stabilators:

Years ago, I believed stabilators had to be 100% mass balanced and this assumption applied, too, to most stabilator equipped homebuilt aircraft like the T-18, the Turner T-40 and even the slower VP-1. However, I was surprised to learn later that as early as 1965 John Thorp, designer of the popular T-18, wrote the following answer to a builder’s question:

''Should the horizontal tail balance (T-18) weight be adjusted for perfect static balance?''

His answer was:

''No. The horizontal tail balance weight is a dynamic longitudinal stability augmenter. it reduces static longitudinal stability and provides proper feel forces to the stick in pitch. In smooth air the T-18 will fly better without the bob weight. In any case, its weight is not critical and static balance is not required (or desired).'' However, several years later (about 1969) after completing an extensive test program on the T-18, he concluded the balance weight was needed for good stick feel and had to put the weights back on.
With regards to your examples of the Piper airplanes equipped with stabilators, I refer you to the critical maintenance items for the Piper Commanche. (See: [link=http://www.comanchepilot.com/Tech_Articles/MAINTENANCE/Critical_Maint__Items/critical_maint__items.html]Australian Comanche Society, Pilot Proficiency Programme, Critical Maintenance Items for Pilots[/link]

It.: Tabulator Balance

Pr.: The ''all flying'' tail on the Comanche is statically balanced by means of weights placed on the balance arm within the fuselage. Over the years we have noticed many Comanches whose stabilators have not been re-balanced after maintenance or painting. Correct balancing is critical as flutter can develop well before VNE. Various models have different methods for stabilator balance. Those models requiring the use of a master weight (all Twins and some singles depending on serial number) should not have abrasion boots fitted to the leading edge of the stabilator as there is no Piper approved method of balancing this configuration. These stabilators should be considered to be out of balance.

In flight indications of an out of balance stabilator are:

sudden major flutter and departure of the tail surface; or (if lucky)

mild flutter, indicated by fore and aft oscillation of the control wheel, which increases in intensity with increasing speed.

Im.: Flutter and/or loss of tail in flight – probably Fatal

App.: All
For more information regarding stabilator balance, please refer to this google search. (See: [link=http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=stabilator+balance&oq=stabilator+balance&gs_l=hp.3..0i22i30.1198.4205.0.4503.18.12.0.6.6.0. 93.691.12.12.0...0.0...1c.1.9.psy-ab.dqQHvtYqtCM&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.45512109,d.cGE&fp=4e0eaeaeb354f16d&biw=1209&bih=414]stabilator balance[/link])

LOL,

Which is it, Dan? "Mass-balanced" means 'balanced on the pivot' or it doesn't! I've never said they're not mass-balanced, I said they're not balanced on the pivot. Even the Comanche that's been used as the example as 'mass-balanced' is still a question mark for me because, as I said, after I read the paper on the Comanche tail, I went and sat in one.....and the stab is tail heavy. I don't know if you read that in my previous post. Now, I guess maybe the one Comanche I could find in San Diego just happened to be the one that hadn't yet read the update.....

The point isn't whether or not anything is "mass-balanced." You can call it pumpkin pie if you want to (since now we're saying it doesn't mean balancing on the pivot). The point is whether or not the 'rule' of static-balance-on-the-pivot-as-a-rule is science or a wive's tale. Regarding homebuilt aircraft and things someone wrote as building advice... that again is not my contention. My contention is that so far, I have yet to find an example of a production aircraft equipped with a full-flying stab that is balanced on the pivot. If the Comanche is the only example, I still have a problem with that one for the reason stated above.

Ultimately, people can balance or not balance. It's their airplane and, with today's use of the most ultra-powerful servos we can fit into the plane, it probably matters less and less in a model. It's just mystifying when people proclaim that it's the RULE and a cure-all to flutter when clearly AE Ph.D's one after the other say otherwise.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:34 PM
Shaun Evans

Dantley stabs is solid. The remain of one the stabs show is solid.
My point is showing that my kit had loose elevator mechanist and still able to fly and landed. That is mean if the stabs are areodynamic balance doesn't put that much load to the stabs.
Dantley stabs flutter so bad to shake the fuse. The first things is start with stabs is the major point start this crash. Honey cone material might not be the cause. But had to use ir right with that material. If bulk use with that material had to sandwich both side for mounting any thing had stress load.

OK?!?

I told the story more than once of the two separate incidents where I lost linkage control on one stab of a Y/A jet. In both cases, the the stab remained so stable as to not immediately alert me that it had happened. Between the two incidents, the free-floating stab flew at all speeds (the first one was at WOT straight and level; airplane's top level speed), and remained flutter-free and weathervaned until the smack-down and back-taxi. IMO, this was due to a properly designed stab that was inherently stable (aerodynamically). I don't know if static balance would have aggravated the situation....but I didn't go get a Ph.D at MIT then design a stab and say not to balance it on the pivot. Somebody knew what they were doing...
Old 04-20-2013, 12:36 PM
Gra55h0pper

~V~
That's my interpretation of the message also. One of the key things about true engineers is an attitude that any design can always be further improved towards better quality, lower cost, reliability, ease-of-use, expected product lifetime, additional features, etc. I do understand that companies (wherever in the world they're based) will often not admit fault because of legal implications this could have towards the future. However, I'm very disappointed that after all this, FEJ still doesn't seem to believe something in the design could actually be improved. To me, this simply shows they're not true engineers in any way.

I personally prefer to buy my RC products from companies establishing a true engineering mindset... I admit that FEJ actually almost had me converted as I thought they'd made improvements based on learning from the jet community (e.g. landing gear and other improvements they seem to have made). However, the more they struggle to show/discuss design improvements that can be made to the design, the longer it will take for me to reconsider ever buying a product from them.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:46 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

~V~
I agree. Just by those pictures and statement, it seems to me that FEJ thinks their design is adequate, and the only thing that could go wrong is if the customer doesn't tighten the screws! So, WHEN there is another crash involving flutter, they will tell the customer that the screws were not tight enough, and the crash was all the customers' fault.

Isn't that just special!

By some odd way, they will be right about it being the customers' fault ... The customer should have never bought an FEJ jet. That's the customers' fault.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:01 PM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

ORIGINAL: warbird_1

ORIGINAL: dubd

ORIGINAL: artchristic1

HOPE one day I will be able to own an F-14 lik you.
When I retire from work.

Good luck on you findings
ART

PS; Will you fly again an F-14?
Thanks, Art.

I will be flying a Skymaster F-14 when they become available.
LOL !! do you really think one chinese ARF is better than another? At least when BVM imports some of their stuff , there's a strict quality control system in place . you don't see BVM blowing wings off or failing in flight.
when are people going to realize that 90% of chinese stuff is junk. you buy it then get on here running it down because it crashes. I'm not trying to be a jerk but come on.. I'm sorry your lost such a big investment and hope it doesn't happen again.. but it will to someone. i've been watching the jet scene for quite a few years and have seen a lot of planes fall apart in flight. why?

You say 90%, who do you feel are the 10% that isn't junk? I would certainly put Skymaster in that 10% range. But even being in the 10%, NONE of the and I mean NONE are as good as BVM.
andy, i've had 3 skymasters and i hated them all. first was a gipen that was a lead sled, second was a f-15 . that was build so bad that one wing spar measured 1/4" forward of the other and the third was a 1/6 scale f-16 . that wasn't too bad. so you see i do know what i'm talking about . :-) i do however will put Comp ARF in the 10%

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.