Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Dave aka ozief16 Flying the BVM F-16

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Dave aka ozief16 Flying the BVM F-16

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 03:47 PM
P. Richards
My Feedback: (3)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dave aka ozief16 Flying the BVM F-16

This video was filmed on location at McCool Field, North Las Vegas, NV 04-13-2013...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtVj2...xOQx8yW9M0hJCQ

P. Richards aka SwatTeam
Old 04-13-2013, 05:10 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts
Default RE: Dave aka ozief16 Flying the BVM F-16

Dude!!! You always have the best tunes!!
Old 04-13-2013, 10:04 PM
ozief16
My Feedback: (13)

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Patrick,

Your editing is awesome, you even made me look half-way decent. Thank you

The story on the paint fellas is that I bought the plane years ago and will be repainting it in the next couple months to an arctic aggressor scheme. It's very much in the transition in the meantime. I've flown this airframe on ICDF (once or twice), EDF (Once), and now turbine (10-12 times). It's an old airframe that has a lot of work in it, and that will get a lot on the outside soon.

Again, thanks to Pat, it was good to see him at the field today

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22887.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1871778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx67111.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	1871779  
Old 04-13-2013, 10:57 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats, Dave! Awesome plane and a very pretty landing! Glad to see you're grooving with her.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:28 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

GREAT landing! Looks so strange without the ventral fins on, but it made me want to finish one of the two F-16's I've got in the garage. I don't know how you track that little thing around the sky with your camera as fast as she moves...
Old 04-14-2013, 07:01 AM
ozief16

Thanks guys. Like I said, Pat did some pretty masterful editing there.

Shawn, the ventrals are sitting on my bench right now waiting to be installed. I can't seem to find the alignment jig for them, so there's a bit of a delay. Additionally the airplane had a funny yaw 'wobble' in the air that I wanted to see if I could solve prior to sticking the ventrals on (ie I wanted to know the cause, not just make it go away). As part of the conversion/complete gutting process I cut the vertical fin off and made it removable. The fin, however, is so thin (read scale) that the front CF alignment pin is ~2" back from the LE. The long and short there is that the LE base of the fin could move a very small amount left and right (roughly 1/8"). I installed a small wire pin right up front and yesterday was the first flights with that...problem solved! Now it's time to get the ventrals on and primed

Dave
Old 04-14-2013, 08:52 AM
Shaun Evans

Nice,

Yeah, that's a really nice looking airplane. I made the ventrals on mine removable. They're held on by friction only with a 1/9" wire epoxied into the fin, and the wire goes into a hardwood block glued into the fuse. They self-align to the molding on the outside of the fuse. Works great!
Old 04-14-2013, 09:46 AM
Kelly Rohrbach
My Feedback: (1)

Nice job Dave, I loved the BVM F-16 I had. Back then we only had a grass field and it was DF so it was a challenge to get it in the air but once it was on step it was a blast to fly. I wish I had one now with a P-80se now that we have a paved runway. I wish BV would re-introduce the kit again, would work perfect for either electric or small turbine as you and others have shown. Still the best looking F-16 in its class IMO
Old 04-14-2013, 07:44 PM
ozief16

Shawn,

Good idea on the friction fit. These get a small set screw iaw the plans, but I like the "it'll knock off if it needs to" idea.

Kelly,

I borrowed this wren 54SS from Buck Garza. I'm thinking a P100 someday would be awesome. Same weight as the Wren with 25% more thrust! With space being at a premium in the jet, less stuff to install sounds good too.

I've actually to a second complete airframe that's 75% done. It currently has the df inlet, so I'm debating putting the EVF in it for the no-turbine times...except I just love the fuel and fly capability of a turbine. I have a 2.5gallon Jersey can that I used to carry an extra five gallon can to refill through a flying day...now, with the smaller turbine, I get five to six flts on the 2.5 gallons.

How're the Phantoms coming? I'll be tenting with Ad Jr at MS...will his Phantom be there?. Mine is so close, and yet so far away. The good news is that the longer it takes, the more flights I get on other stuff to improve my skill set.

Too bad we couldn't hook up when I was up there a year or so ago, but we may be making the trip again this Labor Day if you're planning on being around

Dave
Old 04-14-2013, 07:51 PM
ozief16

Guys,

A gentlemen emailed me and asked about the conversion process as he's got one in play too. He asked for some specific photos, so ill attach those here.

One of the coolest mods made involved making the aft end of the cockpit MUCH more removeable (literally 10 seconds now). Also shown is the pin at the LE of the fin, the removeable cap in the aft end of the fuse (facilitated a change to the larger diameter torque rod) and the F8 former with the spacer in there to make up the difference between the large df intake and the smaller turbine intake.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32221.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	1872252   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw63347.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	1872253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mo15866.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	1872254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Co70087.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	1872255  
Old 04-14-2013, 08:19 PM
Kelly Rohrbach
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Dave, yes we will more than likely be here that time of year. Just let me know if you can make it and we will for sure hook up. Sorry to say the F4 won't be there much to my dismay. Life has been quite busy this past year with family and family health issues, not to mention building three of them takes time. They are however getting closer to starting talk about paint and such but I'm working on some extra details and that takes time, but its a model that is worth the effort.
Like the ones John is doing up we too are putting in some nice extras.
Hope you guys have a lot of fun at the afterburner.
regards
Kelly
Old 04-14-2013, 08:41 PM
ozief16

Kelly,

Yea, John, like you, is a true craftsman. The things he sees and thinks about simply boggle my mind. Truly a gentleman. He's come up with something for the phantoms that just makes the jet come together. I'm not sure he's releasing it yet, so ill keep it to myself, for now, but Steve untze (sp?) gave us the idea.

Three of them...wow. That's amazing. I know Phil Nuza will be down there with his BA Phantom again...that ought to get Ad Jr fired up!

We had a great time at last year's AB. I packed my BV MiG up and sent it to Buck on Friday, so that should be great!

I will def call if we make it up there...we really love that area...in the summer

Dave