Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jeti DS-16 High end transmitter is in!

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jeti DS-16 High end transmitter is in!

Old 04-15-2013, 10:27 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Jeti DS-16 High end transmitter is in!

I found no thread on this before, so I though I might show you this. I finally got my hands on the first Jeti DS-16! Most already know what it's capable of as it's a sister to the well known DC-16. The DS however has a fiew cool features the DC don't such as accelerometers. For example just tilt the Tx to activate a function... -Tilt Tx to left and the voice will read how much fuel you have left, tilt to the right and it will read the speed. Telemetry is buildt in to it and it has a high resolution amp meter to monitor the turbines fuelpump to give an exact fuel read. Works like a charm even on the smallest turbines.

Autotrim looked like a useful feature too. Just fly, and the Tx trims the plane for level flight by it self.

The build quality are insane!! The sticks have a feel to them I have never even been close too. The JR PCM 10X as a joke in compartion. I put it next to my DX8 for size compartion, I also put the om the scale as I like to know what things weigh

It's heavier then the DX8, weighs in at almost exactly the same as the Futaba 18MZ.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:46 PM
felker14
My Feedback: (50)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Jeti DS-16 High end transmitter is in!

This radio is quite impressive feature wise.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:24 AM
Henke Torphammar

ORIGINAL: felker14

This radio is quite impressive feature wise.
It's easy to setup and can do alot of things. Coming from the JR branch I certainly don't miss their menus haha. The hardware is insane too with all aluminum and no plastic parts at all for the mechanics. The good thing is that Jeti are very open minded and happily snaps up requests for new features. You could for example request a flame out detection if the fuelpump goes under a certain amp draw, if Jeti thinks it's a good addition to the software they will implement it in a future release.

The stick assembly
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBS16GRIU7o[/youtube]

All billet!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDJdxsdKd0c[/youtube]

Even flying using the accelerometers alone!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn7H5V2rraI[/youtube]
Old 04-19-2013, 04:37 AM
FlyinTiger
My Feedback: (45)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty amazing stuff. Now if they can only release it in the US!
Old 04-19-2013, 05:35 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: FlyinTiger

Pretty amazing stuff. Now if they can only release it in the US!
Here you go Albert.

http://www.espritmodel.com
Old 05-08-2013, 09:53 AM
Henke Torphammar

Today I recived my Tx from the dealer, An amazing piece of equipment. I made a new program for my Viperjet in like 10min, an unreal feeling as I got tops 3min of programming experience with this kind of radio before and feelt at home at once. Very easy to setup a new model, assign switches etc.

Audio is new for me in a Tx and a fun feature if combined with the accelerometers. Now when I fly I only tilt the Tx to the right to get an encouraging "Tower this is ghostrider requesting a flyby"

Old 06-27-2013, 10:40 AM
Gordon W

Hi Henke

After reading this thread: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11..._1/key_/tm.htm I decided to see if the Spektrum DX-18 telemetry ASI could help me to set a jet at around the correct approach speed when landing. The system can be set to beep at a chosen minimum speed, which in the case of my Nano Boomerang I've chosen to be 39mph. If the speed falls below 39mph it keeps on beeping, and if speed rises above 39mph again, the beeper stops. Very crude, but handy for achieving an approximate good landing speed in the very variable strong and gusty winds we get around our neck of the woods. In practice, I use the Tx shaker rather than the beeper for the warning so as not to disturb other flyers, and find that once the speed has dropped enough to activate the warning, putting the plane down where I want it is easier to judge than it used to be without the telemetry indication. FWIW, the normal max airspeed doing ordinary aerobatics is around 125mph, whereas the fastest I've managed to get the thing diving (from 1498ft) is 149mph, so the Nano is no speed freak, but matches my reactions OK!

I see that the DS-16 telemetry will do the same thing as my DX-18 arrangement, but also note that there's a voice call-out for the DS-16 telemetry values which may well equate to the system described in the above-mentioned thread.

I'd be interested to know you or anyone else has tried the DS-16's voice call-out in conjunction with airspeed. If so, can the voice output be inhibited above a given airspeed whilst giving a continuous commentary below that figure, and is the voice repeat rate fast enough to follow changes in airspeed?

One more thing. Is the Jeti system stable, or is Jeti issuing software updates every few months like some other R/C manufacturers?

Cheers

Gordon
Old 06-27-2013, 11:06 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I tried it in JP but couldn't get to use the trims without having to stop looking at the plane. Very non-ergonomic to my view and difficult to use with fast models that require a constant visual contact.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:19 PM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: olnico

I tried it in JP but couldn't get to use the trims without having to stop looking at the plane. Very non-ergonomic to my view and difficult to use with fast models that require a constant visual contact.
I tried it in the shop as soon as the Tx went on sale because I was serious about buying it but I immediately walked away, it was clear in an instant that the trim buttons are a design disaster. I am used to the trim buttons on the Multiplex Royal but those at least are shaped and have a central raised bit so your thumb quickly knows which button it is pressing, but the Jeti has no way of identifying which button your thumb is on. It's astonishing that they went into production with something so bad. And clearly a lot of people think so, including their dealers, as Ilja Grum has come up with an aftermarket solution - http://www.grumania.com/xtcommerce/R...TRIM::567.html
Old 06-27-2013, 09:25 PM
Henke Torphammar

ORIGINAL: olnico

ORIGINAL: HarryC

I immediately walked away, it was clear in an instant that the trim buttons are a design disaster.

It has an auto trim feature, you never need to touch the trims. Flip a desired switch, fly the plane straight for a while, toggle the switch again and voila, fully trimmed!

Old 06-27-2013, 09:30 PM
Henke Torphammar

Hi,

I just got the speedo in and are seting it up. We have suggested a speed limiter, both top speed and stallspeed. The good thing is that Jeti are open minded and listen to good idéas and do implement them in comeing softwares.

I have mine setup to trigger the voice with the accelerometer. Tilt right and it reads time, fuel level and so on. Accelerometer is fun, I have the wheel breaks setup so I just tilt the Tx towards me to break

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5zoGJnWLcA[/youtube]

Telemetry don't always deliver plesant news haha, scheiße!

ORIGINAL: Gordon W

Hi Henke

After reading this thread: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11..._1/key_/tm.htm I decided to see if the Spektrum DX-18 telemetry ASI could help me to set a jet at around the correct approach speed when landing. The system can be set to beep at a chosen minimum speed, which in the case of my Nano Boomerang I've chosen to be 39mph. If the speed falls below 39mph it keeps on beeping, and if speed rises above 39mph again, the beeper stops. Very crude, but handy for achieving an approximate good landing speed in the very variable strong and gusty winds we get around our neck of the woods. In practice, I use the Tx shaker rather than the beeper for the warning so as not to disturb other flyers, and find that once the speed has dropped enough to activate the warning, putting the plane down where I want it is easier to judge than it used to be without the telemetry indication. FWIW, the normal max airspeed doing ordinary aerobatics is around 125mph, whereas the fastest I've managed to get the thing diving (from 1498ft) is 149mph, so the Nano is no speed freak, but matches my reactions OK!

I see that the DS-16 telemetry will do the same thing as my DX-18 arrangement, but also note that there's a voice call-out for the DS-16 telemetry values which may well equate to the system described in the above-mentioned thread.

I'd be interested to know you or anyone else has tried the DS-16's voice call-out in conjunction with airspeed. If so, can the voice output be inhibited above a given airspeed whilst giving a continuous commentary below that figure, and is the voice repeat rate fast enough to follow changes in airspeed?

One more thing. Is the Jeti system stable, or is Jeti issuing software updates every few months like some other R/C manufacturers?

Cheers

Gordon
Old 06-28-2013, 03:58 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: Henke Torphammar

Flip a desired switch, fly the plane straight for a while, toggle the switch again and voila, fully trimmed!
Well, if the plane is seriously out of trim and a handful to fly, getting out of the sticks to reach a switch is actually not an option. Especially with fast moving models.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:30 AM
Gordon W

Do you really have to release the sticks to flick a switch?

I saw this comment on another forum regarding the DS-16 auto-trim feature:

On mine it doesn't really copy the position, it sets the trims so that they chase the stick positions gradually, as the trim gets closer you relax the stick positions until the model is hands off. Then switch off the auto-trim. really nice feature

If this is the way it works, the main problem could be not having enough trim compensation if you really did send the plane off badly maladjusted.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:46 AM
kevinthoele
My Feedback: (1)

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

We have one at our field in Houston. He has flown 50+ flights all good. With indicated air speed it is a great jet feature. We are not allowed to fly turbines without a spotter. My spotter will make adjustments on a badly trimmed airplane

I think I am going to let a few more software adjustments come, but I think this is my next transmitter.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:46 AM
lxfly

Cheers

Gordon
Hi Gordon,

Owning the DC-16 now for about 1 year, I updated the software (same as DS-16) 4 times and there where always features added or some features made more complete. Never had a problem, update is done in 10 minutes and memorized models were always behaving as before.

Manual trimming with the DC-16 is no problem, cannot speak for the DS-16.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:06 AM
Henke Torphammar

Do you really have to release the sticks to flick a switch?

I saw this comment on another forum regarding the DS-16 auto-trim feature:

On mine it doesn't really copy the position, it sets the trims so that they chase the stick positions gradually, as the trim gets closer you relax the stick positions until the model is hands off. Then switch off the auto-trim. really nice feature

If this is the way it works, the main problem could be not having enough trim compensation if you really did send the plane off badly maladjusted.
Exactly. I would say it's alot easier with autotrim then the standard trim as all you do is fly the plane and it trims it self. If its that much out of trim so that the trim is not enough I assume you got other problems to deal with before blaiming the trim buttons, don't you think ;-)
Old 07-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Jeti USA

Check the video, this feature should be one of the most important for Jeti Pilots.

Zb/Jeti USA
Jeti Duplex Dual Path "True Redundant RF Link"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zg9KN_wv3A

Old 10-07-2013, 01:52 AM
scimtec

Originally Posted by Henke Torphammar
Exactly. I would say it's alot easier with autotrim then the standard trim as all you do is fly the plane and it trims it self. If its that much out of trim so that the trim is not enough I assume you got other problems to deal with before blaiming the trim buttons, don't you think ;-)
I can confirm that the auto trim is very easy and effective to use - but if you prefer, you can simply swap the trims and use the left set to trim the right stick and vice versa. The trim range is massive on these radios and if you run out of trim then you have MAJOR problems with your build/setting up skills!
Old 10-07-2013, 03:31 AM
Henke Torphammar

2.20 firmware out now. I have not tried it my self yet.

http://www.jetimodel.com/en/Downloads/
Old 11-24-2013, 01:51 PM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Who is handling service / repairs for this system in the US or does it need to be returned to the manufacturer for repairs ?

Last edited by wfield0455; 11-24-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:07 PM
Jeti USA

Originally Posted by wfield0455
Who is handling service / repairs for this system in the US or does it need to be returned to the manufacturer for repairs ?
http://www.jetiusa.com/

Sales and Service Center
Esprit Model Inc.
1240 Clearmont St. NE Unit #12
Palm Bay, FL
32905, USA
www.EspritModel.com
Old 11-25-2013, 06:38 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeti USA
http://www.jetiusa.com/

Sales and Service Center
Esprit Model Inc.
1240 Clearmont St. NE Unit #12
Palm Bay, FL
32905, USA
www.EspritModel.com
So as far as I can tell, JetiUSA IS Esprit Model, since they both have the exact same address on their web sites. I'm assuming that this is mainly a sales support operation and distribution center for product, is that correct ? If I purchase a DS16 and for some reason I need to return it for repairs (product defect, accident damage, etc), exactly WHERE will repairs be performed ? In other words, will the repairs be performed in the US by JetiUSAs employees or will damaged items need to be returned to the manufacturer for repairs ?

To be clear, I'm not trying to put a negative spin on anything, I simply want to know who will perform service and where it will be done before purchasing such a high end product as this will have a major impact on how long it takes to get repairs performed, should they ever be needed.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:44 AM
Jeti USA

All repairs are handled in Florida by Esprit Model.
We can handle 98% of all repairs, spare parts are in stock. (Gimbals, Boards, Displays....)

Zb/Jeti USA
Old 11-25-2013, 07:41 AM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

looks interesting, hope you guys get a good following.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:09 AM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

DreamWorks is also a dealer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.