Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

#FEJ jets lost to poor quality/faulty design. Post Here. (14 so far)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

#FEJ jets lost to poor quality/faulty design. Post Here. (14 so far)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 08:27 AM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: #FEJ jets lost to poor quality/faulty design. Post Here. (14 so far)

ORIGINAL: dubd

I'm pretty sure FEJ replaced the jet at Ky Jets too.
Of course they did, it was one of their Demo jets.........................LOL
Old 04-23-2013, 08:34 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: #FEJ jets lost to poor quality/faulty design. Post Here. (14 so far)

Video of the J10 at kentucky.

Go to 8:52 in the video to skip the other planes. The plane before the J10 was the big FEJ F18 that Pablo took up for its first flight. As you can see the factory does not even know the correct CG of its own plane because it was tail heavy. Lucky Pablo was on the sticks so that plane could live a little longer before it explodes from some other problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvNq1F-dork

So make it 12 Andy!
Old 04-23-2013, 08:03 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the reminder goose. i saw the big F16 go in at JWM. It was setup incorrectly. The Chinese team didn't have enough throw dialed in to the elevator and they drove it into the ground on the first split s. Can't attribute that one to design flaws.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:09 AM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: rcpete347

HI all, I lost my First T-33 ( practice plane for the WJM's with a engine out on the first flight .The T-33 with no power, fell like a brick and I blame that on the weight and terrible aerodynamics. I watched Bob from BVM, bring back home a F-100, engine out, glided in perfect
FeJ's makes very pretty jets, but know squat about aerodynamics.
Rcpete
Pete,
Please list what FEJ do know about? Should not take long
Old 04-24-2013, 04:07 AM
rbxbear44
My Feedback: (86)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: gunradd

Go to 8:52 in the video to skip the other planes. The plane before the J10 was the big FEJ F18 that Pablo took up for its first flight. As you can see the factory does not even know the correct CG of its own plane because it was tail heavy. Lucky Pablo was on the sticks so that plane could live a little longer before it explodes from some other problem.

So make it 12 Andy!
Actually, that F-18 is flying quiet well. The CG was 10mm off.

Rex
Old 04-24-2013, 04:13 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: rbxbear44

ORIGINAL: gunradd

So make it 12 Andy!
Actually, that F-18 is flying quiet well. The CG was 10mm off.

Rex
Great Rex. One thing I can say is that you are a great builder and good at fixing the problem areas. I was very impressed with everything you did on that F18 last year. Just still seems like an ARF should well be an ARF not need everything redone by a expert builder to make airworthy. You have good building skills that others dont have and thats a big reason you have great success.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:24 AM
rbxbear44

I am as concerned as you and the others are...so building is very personal to me. I wish I had more engineering skills but rely on some other educated and years in the hobby kind of folks with these skills and just try to use common sense too. I am still learning to build better and have some great folks to bounce things off of as I encounter issues and work through things. Building these airframe is definitely a "fluid" thing, always learning...never assuming!

Jim (RCJets63) and I were chatting about all of this and he really made a great point...these large airframes appeal to people that do not have much time (or any time) in the Hobby, never even thinking about accomplishing what it takes to work through the time and process to one day get a Turbine Waiver. "Seasoned" guys in the hobby have a pretty good grasp on what it would take to get a large airframe flight worthy or would get a builder like Bill Hatcher (who's the best I know of) to do the grunt work it takes for these to get assembled and flying ...even the ARF's. I do wish there was a way to make it a bit of a "process" for people to get these in their hands...but that would probably become "Big Govt".

That F-18 was a GRIZZLY BEAR to build! I spent 8 months (off and on) working through issues and asking for good intel on how to make it a solid flyer. Plus, the CG was a turkey shoot since there wasn't any real documentation on where stuff needs to go. Only two of them (that I know of) were flying. As we found out...and so glad Pablo was on the sticks for the maiden...the factory suggested setting was off by 10mm towards the tail. But, the other two guys flying this airframe used the factory setting and were successful...go figure! The guy I built it for wanted every form of "bling" you could have plus more...it was a MAJOR project just to get the Stabs and Rudders right. There were things like the turbine rails...I wanted a more stout setup and material so I made my own and added some strength to the Bulkheads holding the Rails. It was a beast!

Anyway, not that people who have had crashes from structural failure aren't seasoned or know what they are doing...not what I am saying at all, just speaking generally towards ARF's. I do think we "assume" a lot more than we ought to on some basic stuff.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:43 AM
Rush!

For what we pay for these planes.... you shouldn't need to re-engineer the airframe to make it safe to fly. The assumption most people have are these planes are ARF. Look whats happening with people who do know how to build.... if you put it in the hands of someone who doesnt have the time or inclination to make a plane a safe flier.... its a disaster wtg to happen...

I am as concerned as you and the others are...so building is very personal to me. I wish I had more engineering skills but rely on some other educated and years in the hobby kind of folks with these skills and just try to use common sense too. I am still learning to build better and have some great folks to bounce things off of as I encounter issues and work through things. Building these airframe is definitely a "fluid" thing, always learning...never assuming!

Jim (RCJets63) and I were chatting about all of this and he really made a great point...these large airframes appeal to people that do not have much time (or any time) in the Hobby, never even thinking about accomplishing what it takes to work through the time and process to one day get a Turbine Waiver. "Seasoned" guys in the hobby have a pretty good grasp on what it would take to get a large airframe flight worthy or would get a builder like Bill Hatcher (who's the best I know of) to do the grunt work it takes for these to get assembled and flying ...even the ARF's. I do wish there was a way to make it a bit of a "process" for people to get these in their hands...but that would probably become "Big Govt".

That F-18 was a GRIZZLY BEAR to build! I spent 8 months (off and on) working through issues and asking for good intel on how to make it a solid flyer. Plus, the CG was a turkey shoot since there wasn't any real documentation on where stuff needs to go. Only two of them (that I know of) were flying. As we found out...and so glad Pablo was on the sticks for the maiden...the factory suggested setting was off by 10mm towards the tail. But, the other two guys flying this airframe used the factory setting and were successful...go figure! The guy I built it for wanted every form of "bling" you could have plus more...it was a MAJOR project just to get the Stabs and Rudders right. There were things like the turbine rails...I wanted a more stout setup and material so I made my own and added some strength to the Bulkheads holding the Rails. It was a beast!

Anyway, not that people who have had crashes from structural failure aren't seasoned or know what they are doing...not what I am saying at all, just speaking generally towards ARF's. I do think we "assume" a lot more than we ought to on some basic stuff.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:33 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am as concerned as you and the others are...so building is very personal to me. I wish I had more engineering skills but rely on some other educated and years in the hobby kind of folks with these skills and just try to use common sense too. I am still learning to build better and have some great folks to bounce things off of as I encounter issues and work through things. Building these airframe is definitely a ''fluid'' thing, always learning...never assuming!

Jim (RCJets63) and I were chatting about all of this and he really made a great point...these large airframes appeal to people that do not have much time (or any time) in the Hobby, never even thinking about accomplishing what it takes to work through the time and process to one day get a Turbine Waiver. ''Seasoned'' guys in the hobby have a pretty good grasp on what it would take to get a large airframe flight worthy or would get a builder like Bill Hatcher (who's the best I know of) to do the grunt work it takes for these to get assembled and flying ...even the ARF's. I do wish there was a way to make it a bit of a ''process'' for people to get these in their hands...but that would probably become ''Big Govt''.

That F-18 was a GRIZZLY BEAR to build! I spent 8 months (off and on) working through issues and asking for good intel on how to make it a solid flyer. Plus, the CG was a turkey shoot since there wasn't any real documentation on where stuff needs to go. Only two of them (that I know of) were flying. As we found out...and so glad Pablo was on the sticks for the maiden...the factory suggested setting was off by 10mm towards the tail. But, the other two guys flying this airframe used the factory setting and were successful...go figure! The guy I built it for wanted every form of ''bling'' you could have plus more...it was a MAJOR project just to get the Stabs and Rudders right. There were things like the turbine rails...I wanted a more stout setup and material so I made my own and added some strength to the Bulkheads holding the Rails. It was a beast!

Anyway, not that people who have had crashes from structural failure aren't seasoned or know what they are doing...not what I am saying at all, just speaking generally towards ARF's. I do think we ''assume'' a lot more than we ought to on some basic stuff.

It doesn't help when the reps tell you that the plane can go together in a weekend. Not that I believe them, but other people might. With a lot of these planes you have reality and then you have the rep blowing smoke.

It is really hard to know who to trust when looking for information about these planes. A few months ago I asked you about a FEJ F-18 via PM and less than 15 minutes later I get a call from a FEJ rep saying you told him I was ready to buy one. Prior to that I felt you were providing unbiased feedback, but based on what the rep said, it felt like you were assisting in a sale.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:21 AM
rbxbear44

Point well taken! Whenever someone asks me anything, I let the company know...regardless of who it is. I build for several different folks, assembling different airframe companies. My purpose was to keep communication clear as to what was asked and what I said. Forgive me for that if it doesn't seem right or a gang up of sorts...not my intention. Lowell Wexler is a very dear friend of mine and I try and make sure any questions about airworthiness or product designs, turbines to use, etc...is handed back over to the company rather than just me.

I'm not a big builder...just 6-8 airframes a year. I will be more careful on this. Thanks for sharing about this.

Rex
Old 04-24-2013, 08:41 AM
rbxbear44

ORIGINAL: Rush!

For what we pay for these planes.... you shouldn't need to re-engineer the airframe to make it safe to fly. The assumption most people have are these planes are ARF. Look whats happening with people who do know how to build.... if you put it in the hands of someone who doesnt have the time or inclination to make a plane a safe flier.... its a disaster wtg to happen...

I am as concerned as you and the others are...so building is very personal to me. I wish I had more engineering skills but rely on some other educated and years in the hobby kind of folks with these skills and just try to use common sense too. I am still learning to build better and have some great folks to bounce things off of as I encounter issues and work through things. Building these airframe is definitely a ''fluid'' thing, always learning...never assuming!

Jim (RCJets63) and I were chatting about all of this and he really made a great point...these large airframes appeal to people that do not have much time (or any time) in the Hobby, never even thinking about accomplishing what it takes to work through the time and process to one day get a Turbine Waiver. ''Seasoned'' guys in the hobby have a pretty good grasp on what it would take to get a large airframe flight worthy or would get a builder like Bill Hatcher (who's the best I know of) to do the grunt work it takes for these to get assembled and flying ...even the ARF's. I do wish there was a way to make it a bit of a ''process'' for people to get these in their hands...but that would probably become ''Big Govt''.

That F-18 was a GRIZZLY BEAR to build! I spent 8 months (off and on) working through issues and asking for good intel on how to make it a solid flyer. Plus, the CG was a turkey shoot since there wasn't any real documentation on where stuff needs to go. Only two of them (that I know of) were flying. As we found out...and so glad Pablo was on the sticks for the maiden...the factory suggested setting was off by 10mm towards the tail. But, the other two guys flying this airframe used the factory setting and were successful...go figure! The guy I built it for wanted every form of ''bling'' you could have plus more...it was a MAJOR project just to get the Stabs and Rudders right. There were things like the turbine rails...I wanted a more stout setup and material so I made my own and added some strength to the Bulkheads holding the Rails. It was a beast!

Anyway, not that people who have had crashes from structural failure aren't seasoned or know what they are doing...not what I am saying at all, just speaking generally towards ARF's. I do think we ''assume'' a lot more than we ought to on some basic stuff.

Rush,
You are right on the "ARF" thing. Open an Airworld kit and try to use the letters "ARF" to describe THAT one! Add Aviation Design, CARF's Mig, Corsair and some others...the last thing they are is an "ARF"! I think companies are afraid to use the word "kit" so they use ARF...LOL! Just being goofy on that but who knows...

There are companies like BVM, Tomahawk, MIBO and ScaleJets that take engineering to be able to make "assumptions" . But those prices are double (or more) on what RC Folks are paying from other companies.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:57 AM
Rush!

I have a skymaster f16, a feibao rafale and they fly well with minimal modifications....  I havn't made any strutural mods to any of them....    I'd consider them arf as it was mostly install kit, align pipe/turbine, prgram and fly....  I did add a bit of glue on the rafale as a bulkhead lacked it... 

I also have a falcon 120 that has been seriously modified/overbuilt to take a k80....  And i fly this plane the most as its my basher jet....  From a $150 jet it probably costs in the region of $1000 now with all the build mods...  But hey....  It only $150 initially and its got something like 60plus or more flights on it

All im saying is that there are ARFs out there...   There just needs to be a common standard as to what it means  

Old 04-24-2013, 09:17 AM
rbxbear44

ORIGINAL: Rush!

I have a skymaster f16, a feibao rafale and they fly well with minimal modifications.... I havn't made any strutural mods to any of them.... I'd consider them arf as it was mostly install kit, align pipe/turbine, prgram and fly.... I did add a bit of glue on the rafale as a bulkhead lacked it...

I also have a falcon 120 that has been seriously modified/overbuilt to take a k80.... And i fly this plane the most as its my basher jet.... From a $150 jet it probably costs in the region of $1000 now with all the build mods... But hey.... It only $150 initially and its got something like 60plus or more flights on it

All im saying is that there are ARFs out there... There just needs to be a common standard as to what it means

The SM F-16 is about as good as it gets on a true ARF, with several years of great data and performance. You are right on that! I had one and put around 150 flights on it before selling it and going bigger.

Rex

Old 04-24-2013, 03:59 PM
AndyAndrews

If the formers on a "ARF" aren't glued in correctly or the formers provided with the kit are not composes of the correct material, then what exactly do you expect people who buy "ARF's" to expect? A hollow fuse? Not exactly the definition of ARF.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:10 PM
rbxbear44

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

If the formers on a ''ARF'' aren't glued in correctly or the formers provided with the kit are not composes of the correct material, then what exactly do you expect people who buy ''ARF's'' to expect? A hollow fuse? Not exactly the definition of ARF.
LOL! Yep!
Old 04-24-2013, 09:58 PM
gjhinshaw
My Feedback: (303)

LOL.. ROF... So you blame FEJ for your FLAME OUT???? I know that there are issues with some of the FEJ and YES, they do know about most of them... I also know that they are working on them to change them and make them better. ALL Jet companies have there issues and problems, PLEASE do NOT lie to yourself and say they don't!! Just like FEJ its sometimes hard to get any help!! I have/had a bvm bobcat that broke in half on landing, everyone asked me what happened??? I do not know... NO, and I have other people to back me..... I did NOT land it hard or drive it in..... Anyway I sent a email to bvm, after 2 weeks of NO response I called them.... said they would get back to me...... well after one week I decided to call again... Told them I needed a fuse for a bobcat, told them what happened....... Sorry to hear that, we will give you 10% off...... Great!! Send me a invoice.... 2 Days later I got the email from them...... WHAT DO YOU THINK bvm WANTED FOR A NEW BOBCAT FUSE????????? Are you sitting??? 2,000.00 and that was with a 10% discount!! SO THIS IS WHY "I" go somewhere else to buy!!! 2K and I can have a complete new jet!! YES, I know I will have to do some work on it, BUT... I have a COMPLETELY NEW JET, For the price of a fuse..... We need to pick and choose are battles and to me this is a stupid on!! If you want crashes of jets do to failures, do it for all!!! I know most if not ALL of you on here and I have seen all fly as you have me..... we are ALL outstanding pilots, THIS IS WHY "WE" HOLD A TURBINE WAIVER!! I really think it is time to move on and encourage others to join "OUR" elite group of flying and our pride to the hobby, NOT our little thumb sucking episodes! Any way's....... See you ALL at Kentucky Jets!!!
Old 04-25-2013, 05:52 AM
AndyAndrews

ORIGINAL: gjhinshaw

LOL.. ROF... So you blame FEJ for your FLAME OUT???? I know that there are issues with some of the FEJ and YES, they do know about most of them... I also know that they are working on them to change them and make them better. ALL Jet companies have there issues and problems, PLEASE do NOT lie to yourself and say they don't!! Just like FEJ its sometimes hard to get any help!! I have/had a bvm bobcat that broke in half on landing, everyone asked me what happened??? I do not know... NO, and I have other people to back me..... I did NOT land it hard or drive it in..... Anyway I sent a email to bvm, after 2 weeks of NO response I called them.... said they would get back to me...... well after one week I decided to call again... Told them I needed a fuse for a bobcat, told them what happened....... Sorry to hear that, we will give you 10% off...... Great!! Send me a invoice.... 2 Days later I got the email from them...... WHAT DO YOU THINK bvm WANTED FOR A NEW BOBCAT FUSE????????? Are you sitting??? 2,000.00 and that was with a 10% discount!! SO THIS IS WHY ''I'' go somewhere else to buy!!! 2K and I can have a complete new jet!! YES, I know I will have to do some work on it, BUT... I have a COMPLETELY NEW JET, For the price of a fuse..... We need to pick and choose are battles and to me this is a stupid on!! If you want crashes of jets do to failures, do it for all!!! I know most if not ALL of you on here and I have seen all fly as you have me..... we are ALL outstanding pilots, THIS IS WHY ''WE'' HOLD A TURBINE WAIVER!! I really think it is time to move on and encourage others to join ''OUR'' elite group of flying and our pride to the hobby, NOT our little thumb sucking episodes! Any way's....... See you ALL at Kentucky Jets!!!
I'm glad you know they are working on them. The jet community here hasn't heard from them. Moreover, they continue to lie to people and mislead people on their web sight about the F-14 issue. I would make this list for all, but there aren't enough total loses that haven't been addressed by the factories of the various OTHER manufacturers to list. Also, there aren't enough to list that can be attributed to the level of FEJ's negligence. This list is growing (13) so far of jets that were totaled (not just damaged) by improper use of HC, poorly thought out designs and inferior materials. I didn't ad the flameout crash to the list for this reason.

Moreover, I'm not aware of another factory that has lied to and/or bribed their customers AS BAD as FEJ has. Nope the boycott will not stop. Sorry Gary. And casting negative aspersions to those who are boycotting like this won't help your own personal causes either Gary. That is, unless as a supporter of FEJ and (are you a distributor of their products?) you feel like you can help Dantley be whole on his losses. Then you may have something to offer here other than your sarcasm.