Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Help With Large Aircraft Transport

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Help With Large Aircraft Transport

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 01:39 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help With Large Aircraft Transport

Hi,

A friend of mine is buying a project plane from a guy in Kansas City. He's getting a pre-welded fuse and a wing kit along with some pants and a cowling for a great price. The problem is the freight quotes are outrageously more expensive than the plane. Anyone done anything like this before? Smart ideas?
Old 04-22-2013, 01:42 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Help With Large Aircraft Transport

Where does he need to have it shipped to?? Is it coming from KC back to your area in San Diego??

Ken
Old 04-22-2013, 03:52 PM
BillJ
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tried Uship.com I've had pretty good success there with resonable rates. Last shipment was a Hempel 260..Got here in great shape
Old 04-22-2013, 04:24 PM
Zagzoo
My Feedback: (28)

Forward air is great for big planes, not to expensive either
Old 04-22-2013, 04:27 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

I have seen people ship via grey hound, very low rates compared to the big shippers. My buddy who sold is skymaster F-18 did this and I have seen large 3d planes shipped as well, just be sure and make a good crate for it. All the other methods are extremely higher than gray hound was from what he said.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:37 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

ORIGINAL: FenderBean

I have seen people ship via grey hound, very low rates compared to the big shippers. My buddy who sold is skymaster F-18 did this and I have seen large 3d planes shipped as well, just be sure and make a good crate for it. All the other methods are extremely higher than gray hound was from what he said.

I shipped a 8'x4'x4' 100lb crate using truck freight (southeastern freight) for $130 from Virginia to Texas and that included full value insurance.. greyhound only insures for up to $300, and if its a full scale airplane, greyhound wouldn't be able to ship it due to its size.

When if comes to full scale projects, you really only have 3 options without paying big bucks...

1. Go get it yourself and drive it back in a U-haul van
2. Find some small shipping company that is coming back from the general area to where you need it shipped to
3. Find one closer to home and resort back to option 1, sometimes "cheap" isn't the best deal
Old 04-22-2013, 05:11 PM
never-enuff
My Feedback: (11)

Try Freightquotes.Com. I've shipped 2 large jets with them and they pick it up so you don't have to haul it somewhere. I shipped to Florida from Texas guaranteed 2 business days with 6000.00 ins added and it was 268.00. It was 9' long 3' wide and 2' tall 250lbs. I do suggest a well built wooden crate though.