Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

P80 in a Intro Boomerang.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

P80 in a Intro Boomerang.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 03:28 AM
louis cypher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P80 in a Intro Boomerang.

The Turbine trainer, "Boomerang Intro" ARTF kits are being offered with a P80 turbine at £1,761.33. Is the P-80 far to big for this ?

A. Cardash states on his Website:

"The INTRO is designed for the new generation of small 12 to 18 lb turbines such as the JetCat P60, or any light 12 to 15 lb turbine, which will give more than adequate performance."

The conversion involved to make this turbine fit is quite extensive.

How much heavier is the P80 than the P60 ?

Would the P70 be to big also ?
Old 04-14-2006, 03:49 AM
The boys Back

Default RE: P80 in a Intro Boomerang.

Volcan has one with the P80 and it is fine, at that price you are getting the plane for nothing!!

Dave
Old 04-14-2006, 04:11 AM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi Louis.
Rest assured if this turbine were too big for this model then I would not be selling it as a combo. I have now flown the boomerang intro with turbines varying from 7lbs of thrust right up to 20 lbs. Before I offered the combo deal with the P-80 I had a member of my staff build an intro with a P-80 and I conducted extensive test flights before I was happy with the combination. In these test flight the boomerang behaved much like it would with a P-60 or Wren (Which is what the model was originally designed for. The only real noticeable difference being that the residual thrust on idle required more flap application.
Alan and I have tested a intro with a wren supersport which is 18lbs of thrust. This was flown for a sustained period at full throttle to establish the airframe as being capable of taking this much power. In fact this turbine is still fitted to Alan's demo model today, and I still say that it is my favorite Boom/Turbine combo ever. The P-80 version has been flown at full throttle with no trouble but we do advise careful throttle management.
As for the conversion being quite intensive. My member of staff who conducted the conversion is a 15 year old boy who has built only a handful of ARTF prop models to date. This was his first jet and he built it totally unassisted. He also wrote a full set on instructions (With Photos) detailing the turbine install and what is required to complete. These are available on request.
The main reason for offering this combo (Apart from the amazing price ) is that a lot of people are getting into jets at the moment, and with prices becoming ever m,ore appealing I seemed like a great time to make a combo that would draw even more people into his great aspect of our hobby. My only worry is that after making quite a substantial investment in the turbine it seems a shame to be limited to airframe selection just because the turbine you have purchased is too small or not powerful enough.
I know people are going to argue that there are plenty of airframes available for the 14 lbs thrust turbines, but I think it is fair to say that there are more available for the 20 lbs turbines. Also it is my opinion that jets in the 20 lbs of thrust category are quite often easier to fly, see, install, maintain etc etc. But as I said this i just my humble opinion and if you disagree sorry.
I hope this has been of help to you Louis. if you have any further questions please feel free to contact me on [email protected] or you can always phone me direct on 0208 500 0099
P.S I am just loading to go to a jet event this weekend so I wont be back until Monday. Sorry.
Regards Al
Old 04-14-2006, 07:02 AM
louis cypher

Thank you. Hope the weekend goes well. I will revisit the "P80 conversion" It says some of the sanding "does take a lot of time". How much time does this conversion add to the build ?

One last thing that was written ..

ORIGINAL: swissflyer

ORIGINAL: CJets

Is the P80 heavy for the power it puts out? Or is there a design issue or other issue? They seem to be a good value.
the P80 is just "old design", was one of the first on the market with full autostart..but now is surpassed

or in other words, for the same turbine size, jetcat has made the P160 (titan), she give the double of thrust....
is a good turbine, no problem at all..but today with the same size you can get more..

as today i will buy a P160...same size, just more expensive, but faster spool up time, and by reducing the RPMs you have a P-80..
Would the Wren be the better way to Equip this Aircraft ?

ORIGINAL: Ali

Alan and I have tested a intro with a wren supersport which is 18lbs of thrust. This was flown for a sustained period at full throttle to establish the airframe as being capable of taking this much power. In fact this turbine is still fitted to Alan's demo model today, and I still say that it is my favorite Boom/Turbine combo ever. The P-80 version has been flown at full throttle with no trouble but we do advise careful throttle management.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:11 AM
Charts

Hi Louis

I too have started an Intro Boom with a P80 conversion. The kit its self is great quality and of a very high standard. I have found it easier to build this than I did some ARF prop trainers. As for the conversion, Volkans notes and pictures are excellent. It's not a great deal of work and you will have a turbine trainer with plenty of power. Combined with some 'throttle sense' this will give you a jet with excess thrust!
And, as Ali says, you have a turbine that will come out of your trainer and go into another airframe negating the need for futher outlay on a more powerful unit. I intend to put mine in 1/10 F15.
As for the P80 being 'old technology', well that maybe, but at the price they're going for these days, it's a great way to get into jets!

Just my opinion!

Chris
Old 04-15-2006, 06:32 AM
volkan

Hi Louis,
I did most of the trimming within 3 hours. I started at 2pm, and worked non-stop untill 5. It is tiresome work, and it was starting to annoy me towards the end, but well worth it onces its done. As I have said before, the easiest way to do all the trimming is using a Dremel drill with a flexable head and with the sanding tool.

Volkan
Old 10-19-2006, 02:43 PM
poussard
My Feedback: (6)

New to turbines. Can anyone tell me why the Jetcat 80 is less expensive then the P-70

Richard
Old 10-20-2006, 02:10 PM
SkyKnight
My Feedback: (67)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow!! <:O] I thought that was a misprint all this time! I can't believe the engine actually fits in there. This plane is loads of fun with a good ole' RAM500. I can't begin to imagine it with 20#s of thrust! I was thinking about squeezing a P70 in mine. It will be hard to beat that offer too.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:18 PM
poussard
My Feedback: (6)

I am thinking about this combo flying off grass. Those who have done this combo what fuel tank did you use and what retract setup would you use flying off grass?

Regards
Richard
Old 10-20-2006, 04:03 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: poussard

New to turbines. Can anyone tell me why the Jetcat 80 is less expensive then the P-70

Richard
Simple demand. The P-70 is smaller and lighter than the P-80 with almost the same thrust. The P-80 is the same size and weight as the P-120, but with 7 lbs less thrust. There are a lot of P-120's on the used market for bargain prices because a lot of P-120 users are moving up to the 33-37 lb engines like the Titan, Merlin, Rhino, etc. Thus the demand, and the price, of the P-80 is down...

Bob
Old 10-21-2006, 09:15 AM
SkyKnight
My Feedback: (67)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

4 of us at CrossWinds have the Boomer Intro with 2 more about to get their waiver. Our runway is 700' of grass and we are typically airborne within 200' - 300' during the summer and less during the winter months. The runway is only cut twice a week and at times can be found a lil on the tall side, maybe around 2 - 3!QUOT!. We do use a takeoff flap setting of approx. 15 degrees but not necessary. Without that setting, you will experience a longer departure run of about another 100'. We all use SpringAir retracts but 2 of us have modified the installation which helps tremendously! This mod consists of moving the main gear to the far outboard location and fabbing a plate to mount a "firewall" mounted nose gear to the balsa block in the front of the nose. This enables the nose gear to retract towards the rear providing for a longer strut to be utilized. The resulting installation provides for a taller stance of approx. 2+ inches. This idea came to me when a visitor flew with us one day and his Boomer had fixed gear. He was able to rotate much sooner (150'+) than the rest of us! At the stock gear height, ELE input has to be gradual to prevent the twin booms from dragging the ground. The ELE becomes effective very early. With the taller gear, you can enjoy a nice looking V1 departure profile! I want to add a P70 or a Super Bee to mine just for the unlimited vertical performance. As for fuel tank size, only 1 of us has the Jet-Tech 72oz tank but for some reason his full consumption is extremely high. The rest of us have the Dubro 50 oz tank and we fly for 6 -7 minutes before landing. We did notice though, when flying from asphalt at the Liberty Bell Jet Rally, that we were landing with more than usual fuel on board. We speculated this was because we were saving fuel by not having to back-taxi on grass using a higher throttle setting. We only needed a high idle to taxi. 1 of the new guys about to join the fleet is installing the Jet-Tech tank also. I will to when I get the larger engine. Too bad Ole Man Winter is right around the corner. We had a fantastic season though!!!

ORIGINAL: poussard

I am thinking about this combo flying off grass. Those who have done this combo what fuel tank did you use and what retract setup would you use flying off grass?

Regards
Richard