Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

DX18 V1.04 airware update heads up.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

DX18 V1.04 airware update heads up.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 08:50 AM
madmodelman

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default DX18 V1.04 airware update heads up.

Since this update this month I have had problems and would be interested if anyone else has.

For those of you who have updated and not flown yet please check all your models work ok, mine didn't!!!

I did the update as per instructions and had the forethought to test the Tx in a foamy which flew ok and I thought here we go then.

At a meeting I missed my first slot as the rx would not talk to the tx at all on my L39, I had to rebind and then all was ok, had four flights.

Today I went through some of my fleet and found the following :-

F86, All controls went to end points, no rf contact with model, rebind, everything ok
Viper, No rf contact, rebind, all ok.
SBach 342, no rf contact, had to rebind several times, then ok
Hawk, no rf, had to rebind several times then ok.

I still have several other models to check, not slagging Spektrum off but thought a heads up may be in order.

I spoke to Horizon Hobby UK today and they have had no reports of anyone else having problems, I can't see how it can be just me.

Anyone else??

Gary.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:58 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DX18 V1.04 airware update heads up.

Well....

I'm not sure in the UK... but on the USA site... it said to

1) backup (export) all the models.
2) load the up date.
3) re-load (import) all the models.
4) re-bind all the models.

So... if your prob's go away after the rebind... then there isn't really an issue, and it should have been part of the upgrade guide.

OR...

Are you saying that even after reloading, and rebinding there was a prob??

*****EDIT****** here's the update guide and change log.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ec89226.pdf (65.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: pdf
Up46978.pdf (41.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 04-29-2013, 10:06 AM
sc0tt
My Feedback: (61)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Ihad no issues with the latest software update. This update clears all models so you need to export then import back after the update. You need to rebind everything considering all was wiped out during the software update.

On a side note, don't forget about setting up your turbine ECU failsafe correctly. For JetCat you bind at 100%, but reduce to 50% for the ECU learn. If you just import your model back inthe throttlewill be 50% and if you rebind it therethen you do not haveanECU failsafe. Need to rebind at 100% then reduce back to 50% for failsafe to work properly. Also to be on the safe side, I re-learned my throttle position to the ECU. Ionly did this because after the TX software upload it went thruthe stick and slider recalibration.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:13 AM
pbusa1400

No issuses here either. I did have to rebind.

Pablo
Old 04-29-2013, 11:37 AM
madmodelman

Tony, I did the export and import jobby, but I have seen no mention anywhere saying rebind, although it does make sense.

Scott, appreciate the ecu stuff, I wondered whether it was actually neccessary on the DX18, I used to do it on the JR DSX9 though.

Thanks for the replies, interesting that the foamy didn't need a rebind though.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:24 PM
Pinnacle Aviation

I did the upgrade and rebound all my models and everything is fine
Old 04-29-2013, 01:34 PM
madmodelman

I'm ok now Phil thanks, just didn't realize I had to rebind everything. What a game!
Gary.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:18 AM
mitchilito
My Feedback: (7)

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

I read this thread yesterday and it inspired me to do the upgrade. Not sorry I did but re-binding everything was a pain and I did have a curious glitch I wanted to share. When I "exported all models" to the sim card I looked at the files on my laptop and they appeared to all be listed. What I didn't notice is that my helicopter models did not transfer. When I re-imported all models my helicopter models were gone and blank Acro models took their place.

I guess I should've looked closer. Maybe I could've captured them individually and reloaded them. Now I have to do the whole flybarless setup again on them. WA-waaaaaaaa.[&o]
Old 05-01-2013, 05:57 AM
madmodelman

What a pain!
Thanks for the info, I suspect there are a few more having problems as well
Horizon UK didn't even know we had to rebind!
Old 05-01-2013, 06:42 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the Big advantage to this update no sure it will be worth the chance of loosing on this deal???????
Old 05-01-2013, 07:34 AM
madmodelman

Telemetry upgrades, enter system page without powering down etc.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:28 AM
Gordon W

ORIGINAL: madmodelman
<snip>
Horizon UK didn't even know we had to rebind!
I didn't either, so many thanks for raising this topic.

FWIW, Spektrum seem to be unrepentant regarding the lack of a hint on the upgrade Readme file as they say that every time a model is imported into the Tx from the memory card, the link should be re-bound as SOP. Maybe that appears somewhere in the Tx operators manual but I haven't looked to check - I'll simply remember from now on.

It's well worth knowing that the only way to tell that a Tx-Rx pair is bound properly is that the modulation style, ie DSM2 or DSMX, appears as a small telltale label in the top LHS of the screen. If the label is absent, then there's something not right (I don't know what). However, it seems that a DSM2 link can still work somehow even if the telltale is absent, though I understand that if there's no DSMX telltale, then DSMX won't work.

For confirmation of the foregoing para together with some other bits ‘n pieces, see posts 4983 to 5012 on this thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...pp=100&page=50 (NB, I have RCGroups set to 100 posts per page, so unless you’re the same, your page 50 might differ from mine)

Guess what. When I found out the info in the preceding paragraph I checked the bind state of my 9 models. Luckily, my two Wren 44 jets, which are both on DSM2, display the telltale. My two slope aerobats, both on DSMX also show the telltale. My two 36cc petrols jobs, both on DSM2 also display the telltale. However, my 1/5th scale electric Tiger Moth, my Sebart Katana 50e, and my foamy Wildthing slope combat glider, which are all on DSM2, don’t display the telltale.

How this situation has arisen is that the Tiggie, Kat and WT never needed any system changes since well before Tx update v1.03, but all the other planes are either newer than v1.03, or needed various changes which required a rebind anyway. The 13-year old Tiggie, ancient Kat and WT aren’t worth much, but I’m glad that the lack of the telltale didn’t result in me writing them off for an unknown reason. I’ll make sure that I re-bind them before I next fly them.

I haven’t installed v1.04 yet, and I’m now going to follow the RCGroups thread a little longer to see if any bugs arise.

Gordon
Old 05-01-2013, 11:04 AM
madmodelman

Thanks for the contribution Gordon, interesting info there,
Gary.