Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

National 747 crash

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

National 747 crash

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 04:41 PM
speed is life

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: National 747 crash

ORIGINAL: Doug Cronkhite

For you full scale guys on heavy iron, is there any way to tell the load is off while on the ground besides doing the math? AND how far aft can the CG go before the jet is either light on its nose wheel or just tips on its tail?

Its amazing to me that will the sensors and technology employed in aerospace that there isnt a scale built into the landing gear, maybe through the hydraulics in the struts, to get some accurate read on the CG of the aircraft prior to flight.
This statement assumes the cargo was aft loaded prior to takeoff. As described by witnesses, the airplane took off, was climbing out, and then abruptly pulled the nose up sharply. Now, knowing how inaccurate witness accounts can be, I still get the feeling this is something that happened during the takeoff phase, and not some preexisting condition on the ground. Nobody really knows real factual data yet. That's what the NTSB investigations are for.
well the video shows it impacting with the gear still down.
This leads me to the thought that something diverted their attention just after rotation and before the "positive rate - gear up" call out. Not much time between the two......

Old 04-30-2013, 04:52 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: speed is life

ORIGINAL: Doug Cronkhite

For you full scale guys on heavy iron, is there any way to tell the load is off while on the ground besides doing the math? AND how far aft can the CG go before the jet is either light on its nose wheel or just tips on its tail?

Its amazing to me that will the sensors and technology employed in aerospace that there isnt a scale built into the landing gear, maybe through the hydraulics in the struts, to get some accurate read on the CG of the aircraft prior to flight.
This statement assumes the cargo was aft loaded prior to takeoff. As described by witnesses, the airplane took off, was climbing out, and then abruptly pulled the nose up sharply. Now, knowing how inaccurate witness accounts can be, I still get the feeling this is something that happened during the takeoff phase, and not some preexisting condition on the ground. Nobody really knows real factual data yet. That's what the NTSB investigations are for.
well the video shows it impacting with the gear still down.
This leads me to the thought that something diverted their attention just after rotation and before the ''positive rate - gear up'' call out. Not much time between the two......

Completely agree.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:52 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: jdrd

Having flown 747 freighters for Northwest and being familiar with the hazard of load shift, I suspect that the truck shifted during the take off roll. A heavy take off takes about 45 seconds of roll from start to rotation. The full shift was probably complete right at or near rotation speed causing the unrecoverable pitch up with full power. All numbers in the FMC were probably correct for take off. There is a warning message during taxi if there is a CG problem. The nosewheel strut is part of the system. The accident aircraft appears to be a B-747-800 or 747-400.
My heart goes out to the crew and families. A nightmare scenario that could not be controlled once deep into the take off roll. There is not enough time/elevator or trim to recover controlled flight once that much weight shifts to the rear.

Joe Grice
Joe, it was a 400F. We saw it not so long ago at Borinquen Field in PR during a tech stop.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:01 PM
NickC5FE
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the C-5, We didnt have any way of knowing if the load was off prior to takeoff. However, if the loadmaster didnt engage the pallet locks, or tie down the rolling stock correctly, when the rotate call was called, the cargo will roll aft.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:12 PM
jlmaviation
My Feedback: (54)

By the way. Where did this crash occur? I just saw and heard of this. Tragic.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:18 PM
NickC5FE
My Feedback: (31)

Bagram AF Afghanistan
Old 04-30-2013, 05:24 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

As soon i saw the plane come into frame, all i could think was "oh my god" you could just tell things werent going well. Thoughts and prayers to the friend, family and colleagues of those involved. Just tragic
Old 04-30-2013, 06:08 PM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This may be a silly question, but what cargo would they be airlifting out of Afghanistan ? I could only imagine freight going in not out...

Curious Dan..
Old 04-30-2013, 06:09 PM
cmoore806
My Feedback: (82)

tragic. I'm imagining the thoughts in the crew's minds right when they realized they weren't going home to their families. How awful.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:24 PM
pandissix
My Feedback: (134)

Tragic to watch this. Flew into Bagram many times on C17 and Blackhawks. There some temporary living quarteres on that end of the field near the perimeter road. We would run it for PT daily. Haven't heard if it hit any ground casualties.

Some of the post here are clearly from some who have never been in harms way or have stood a watch. Clowns. 3D really?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55855.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	1877851  
Old 04-30-2013, 06:29 PM
jdrd

There was an anti mine personell vehicle on board, large and heavy. It is suspected that it came loose and shifted to the rear of the aircraft. A lot heavier than normal pallat footprint.

Joe Grice
Old 04-30-2013, 06:30 PM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There were some questions about weather the crew would have had backup knowledge of CG before takeoff, by way of sensor, to back up what the load sheet and load master said. (Was there a loading error?)

The aircraft was a B-747-400BCF. The BCF means Boeing Converted Freighter. It was an Air France passenger jet delivered in the 1990s and then changed to a Freighter in 2007. The BCF was sold to Icelandic "Air Atlanta" in 2010. I've flown B-747-400 passenger jets, -400F's, -400BCF's, etc. As far as I know, I believe all BCF's have two "gross error check" computers that would pick up CG errors and stab trim errors based on the nose wheel weight sensor. Now, these being electronic and mechanical systems, the hardware, people and procedures all have to work in concert for the system to work. I can't say I know anything about this company or the crew, I just assume that they had the procedures and hardware to a level that would prevent against a raw gross error in loading or stab trim settings. But you never know.

As far as pallets go, the BCF's have a pretty robust pallet locking mechanism thast consists of many redundant metal locking pins and clamps. They are pretty easy to see if they are clamped or not. Now there can be a cascade of failures from clamps to pallets themselves, so that can be full of areas. A load shift, once it happens, causes immediate CG problems and not all are catastrophic. But a load shift "can" potentially result in damage that might tear out the flight control cables in the back of the jet depending on what shifted and how much.

I'm not making guesses on the crash, it could be anything from the mundanely shocking to something more sinister, I haven't a clue. Just shedding a little bit of light on the load/CG/stab trim monitoring capability of this type of jet.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:10 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: rcjetsaok

This may be a silly question, but what cargo would they be airlifting out of Afghanistan ? I could only imagine freight going in not out...

Curious Dan..
Report was 5 military vehicles, but that's all the details I've read.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:19 PM
fred985

aircraft dont need a big shift to become unflyable. just enough to get them out a bit does it. this was probably way more that a small weight shift. back in 1965 i was slated for loadmaster school in the AF,,for c 141 s,,,,i nevr got out of basic becaquse of a messed up knee that sent me home with a medical discharge. weight and balance can be critical in many ways. i witnessed a crash of a J-3 because it took of 40 lbs over grose weight . this was due to the weight of the 2 guys in it. there were no injurys but the cub was a mess.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:20 PM
fred985

i forgot to ad,,,God rest their souls.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:20 PM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: DiscoWings

Would like to see more video, why was the jet pointing striaght up, was the pilot knocked out? What was he trying to do? Hover the jet?
Sad but seriously PILOT Error!
Douche.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:34 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: Whistling Death

Would like to see more video, why was the jet pointing striaght up, was the pilot knocked out? What was he trying to do? Hover the jet?
Douche.
You forgot to add "bag"

Old 04-30-2013, 08:42 PM
tamjets
My Feedback: (2)

Very sad.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:55 PM
sskianpour
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: pandissix

Tragic to watch this. Flew into Bagram many times on C17 and Blackhawks. There some temporary living quarteres on that end of the field near the perimeter road. We would run it for PT daily. Haven't heard if it hit any ground casualties.

Some of the post here are clearly from some who have never been in harms way or have stood a watch. Clowns. 3D really?

pandissix,

Thanks for your service brother.
Agreed on multiple issues and a main one is: CLOWNS, STAY OFF THIS THREAD. Not the time to display your ignorance. Take your hat off like the rest of us and pray for the lost lives and their families.

Shaz
Old 04-30-2013, 09:04 PM
jzuniga
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: sskianpour

ORIGINAL: pandissix

pandissix,

Thanks for your service brother.
Agreed on multiple issues and a main one is: CLOWNS, STAY OFF THIS THREAD. Not the time to display your ignorance. Take your hat off like the rest of us and pray for the lost lives and their families.

Shaz
+1

Z
Old 04-30-2013, 09:11 PM
cycross

May their souls RIP. And condolences to their families.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:50 AM
RCFlyerDan

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I used to be a Capt of a Boeing 727 flying freight. Gross weight at around 175,000 pound take off weight. We always worried about shifting freight, especially if there weren't any containers behind those over the wings. As pilots, even though the Engineer would watch, we couldn't get behind to make sure all of the locks were locked. Most of the guy's loading the jets were that of lower education, and didn't totally understand the consequences. I have had a few flights, where the cargo wasn't weighed, but guessed!! Each container could weigh up to 8-10K pounds, depending on the location. They knew at rotation, but it is too late by then, and actually, I bet the freight shifted on accelleration, the jet rotated premature, and they couldn't stop it. On one of my take off, beside pulling the yoke with both hands, I had to be on the high speed trim just to get the jet off of the ground. Fortunately, we were nose heavy. By this time, you are past the go-no go point, and have no choice. I had the container weighed again at the hub, and every one of them were a couple thousand pounds off. Truly ashamed, and most of the time, you don't hear about cargo wrecks, because it is only 3 pilots and no passengers. Rest in peace.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:53 AM
RCFlyerDan

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

ORIGINAL: speed is life

YGBSM.....I guess you are the investigator, judge, and executioner all in one expert package? Shoot, then who needs the NTSB with you here to declare the findings. You HAVE graduated from an accredited accident investigation course? Sheesh.......

Disco! Wow! Are you ignorant to full scale aviation!!
Old 05-01-2013, 02:59 AM
Hinckley Bill
My Feedback: (569)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's a couple of stories on what's being removed from Afghanistan..

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/03/3...ast-5-billion/

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/...wal/56138058/1

Lots of stuff to take home so the bad guys don't eventually get it when we leave
Old 05-01-2013, 03:37 AM
Loopman
My Feedback: (195)

Looks like one of the crewmembers was a modeler, according to a brief description on the web-news this morning. Said his passion was "building model planes and working on real ones". While it is such a tragic loss of life and my heart is heavy for the families, we have lost one of our own. God be with them and us.

Respectfully

Loopman

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.