Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Operation of Brakes on Tx

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Operation of Brakes on Tx

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 08:55 AM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Operation of Brakes on Tx

Craig. Great info. Do you know anything about an 11X? Ha. Ha.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:46 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: redtail

Hi Guys, could someone draft up the programming mix for a JR 12X to use both the right slider for parking and down elevator for braking when the gear is down? I am truly a jet rookie who will be building my first jet (JetMach 60 with the KingTech 60G) this fall. Just like the Install Thread here on RCU, these are wonderful teaching lessons the more experienced guys are letting us rookies see. Many thanks for that. Chic
Chic,
With your 12X, go to Device SEL in the System Mode List. Scroll to the AUX channel you are using for brakes and select/highlight it (I normally use AUX 7). Scroll through the switch options until you highlight one of the slider switches. Most guys use the right slider which is designated "FLAP LV". Make sure the channel is "ACT" and if not, highlight and select until ACT appears.

In the Travel Adjust menu, select values that will have the brakes OFF with the slider up and full brakes with the slider all the way down. The direction and throw will vary depending on the type of brake setup you have, servo arm length etc.. With a UP-6 valve, 9411 servo and normal direction of travel, my values are +104% and -82% on my Futura.

Get rid of (inhibit/clear) any mixes you currently have to the brakes. Select a Standard Program Mix (51, 52 or 53), activate and enter ELEV (master) to the AUX (slave) channel you have brakes on (in my example, AUX 7). Enter values in the Pos.0 fields to get braking action with down elevator. On my mix program in Pos.0 I have D-125%/U 0% and all 0% in POS.1 Scroll over to the "Gear" box and select "1". That will inhibit the mix with the gear switch up.

That should do it. I have to bump in a few clicks of down slider to get the brakes to come on with the first movement of down elevator. As I mentioned earlier, with the "parking brake" ON (slider down), pushing down elevator will try to drive the brake servo further, so don't do it. Use one or the other if you are holding short for takeoff, for example.

Let me know if you need clarification on any of this.

Craig

Old 05-05-2013, 10:46 AM
redtail
My Feedback: (15)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Craig, can not wait to maybe one day fly with you guys. Can't thank you enough for the program guide. Wish there were more like you, this is a hobby not a corporate secret. Chic
Old 05-05-2013, 12:57 PM
Ozmodeller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys
Thanks for all the info, it would appear that opinion is fairly evenly divided,I will give the down elevator option a try to see if I like it.

Thanks and Regards
Peter
Old 05-05-2013, 02:42 PM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: RAPPTOR

HOW MIX TO TRAINER BUTTON?
Idk what radio you are using but as was explained on here earlier I do basically the same thing even with my scale jets that have Smooth stop IIs on them. I still use the Trainer switch with the servo slowed down a bit.
then also program my right slider as trim so I can use the slider if I want or can also use it as a parking brake. Again this is on my Futaba 12FG
Old 05-06-2013, 03:33 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

ORIGINAL: FenderBean

I keep mine on a slider on the right side, this prevents interfering with the steering side of the remote during the braking period.
He may be on Mode 1, but on Mode 2, on the right slider, so that it isn't being operated while the primary flight control(rudder and steering) is being operated by the flying hand. I consider down elevator a poor technique, and came about when there weren't enough channels for brakes. You see the guys bouncing down the runway, this is a lot of their issue from landing too fast and applying down elevator too soon for the brakes. On full scale jets, it is the Pilot not flying(or hand in this case) doesn't apply full down elevator until all lift has disapated, usually below 60-80 knots. This prevents lifting contact pressure off of the main wheels as the brakes are applied. Slider is the way to go here.