Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Why do people keep calling it TURBIN as in trashbin instead of BINE?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Why do people keep calling it TURBIN as in trashbin instead of BINE?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 06:30 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do people keep calling it TURBIN as in trashbin instead of BINE?

Turbin:

Turbine:

[&:]
Old 05-15-2013, 06:35 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Why do people keep calling it TURBIN as in trashbin instead of BINE?

Un f@@$% believable
Old 05-15-2013, 06:36 PM
brad59
My Feedback: (32)

Default RE: Why do people keep calling it TURBIN as in trashbin instead of BINE?

It's a quirk of the English/american language. Most Americans outside of your part of the country pronounce it Turbin, whether it's for full scale engines or models. In England they will, of course, say Turbine with the long I sound. Every one of them will fanatically tell you this is the correct way! Same as "again" They say "agayn", we say "agehn".
But then we have to change a few things to prove different from our long estranged cousins.....
Brad
Old 05-15-2013, 06:41 PM
IFlyEm35
My Feedback: (5)

[link=http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/turbine]http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/turbine[/link]

tur·bine [tur-bin, -bahyn] Show IPA
noun
any of various machines having a rotor, usually with vanes or blades, driven by the pressure, momentum, or reactive thrust of a moving fluid, as steam, water, hot gases, or air, either occurring in the form of free jets or as a fluid passing through and entirely filling a housing around the rotor.
Compare impulse turbine, reaction turbine.

Origin:
1815–25; < French < Latin turbin-, stem of turbŠsomething that spins, e.g., top, spindle, whirlwind; akin to turbid

Notice the "tur-bin" pronouciation is first. Indicating that it is the most commonly used.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:46 PM
Molnar142
My Feedback: (38)

Well how about, for starters, for the first picture my dictionary spells it TURBAN not TURBIN!
Wash vs Worsh (Pennsylvania)
Car vs Caa (Boston)
Data vs dater (English)

You get the idea. I pronounce it tur-bin while some I know pronounce it tur-bine. Tomato, toMAHto!

Who cares.

Oh here's some more for you to ponder...

Creek vs crick
Caulk vs cock
Old 05-15-2013, 06:49 PM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Really ??.... ? Really ???... Your kidding right ?
Old 05-15-2013, 07:13 PM
Hustler58
My Feedback: (1)

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Someone from Louisiana is asking about the way people speak or write? A state where they have to have subtitles when they interview someone on TV? Well OK! Don't get upset when this turns in to Conga Line of people trying to kick your nuts for asking the question ! This will be fun to follow! Sorry I'm giggling hard at this one!
Old 05-15-2013, 07:15 PM
bcovish

That's funny
Old 05-15-2013, 07:24 PM
bcovish

The kid in the first picture must have reached puberty, he took his diaper off and put it around his head.

Last edited by bcovish; 06-07-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:26 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hustler58

Someone from Louisiana is asking about the way people speak or write? A state where they have to have subtitles when they interview someone on TV? Well OK! Don't get upset when this turns in to Conga Line of people trying to kick your nuts for asking the question ! This will be fun to follow! Sorry I'm giggling hard at this one!

LOL.. i was thinking the same thing when I saw he was from Loooozeeana LOL And Hell.. I'm a country boy from SC, and we barely pronunciate as it is, and we can't even under stand the Cajun's
Old 05-15-2013, 07:36 PM
Hustler58

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Shape Pencil can you interpret what this guy is asking? You from Cajon Country!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62357.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	1882378  
Old 05-15-2013, 07:46 PM
ps2727

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

that guy on the right is my second cuzin.
sho nuff

Sharpie
Old 05-15-2013, 08:03 PM
retransit
My Feedback: (18)

According to Webster, both pronunciations are acceptable.

Bob
Old 05-15-2013, 08:16 PM
DiscoWings

ORIGINAL: Hustler58

Really Mr. American Hoggers? Wait wait wait, YOUR FROM TEXAS? And what does everyone speak in TEXAS?

IT AIN'T ENGLISH

Who needs those sub titles now? You have your Hispanic pals to thank for that.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:23 PM
DiscoWings

LOL you guys need ENGLISH subtitles for Spanish Street Names
Old 05-15-2013, 09:44 PM
Paul_BB

Please American freinds, don't you kill each others. I may have the solution to your problem.Wikipedia:"The word "turbine" was coined in 1822 by the French mining engineer Claude Burdin from the Latin turbo, or vortex, in a memoir, "Des turbines hydrauliques ou machines rotatoires Ã* grande vitesse", which he submitted to the Académie royale des sciences in Paris.[1] Benoit Fourneyron, a former student of Claude Burdin, built the first practical water turbine."In French, the word "turbine" is also pronounced "turbin". So maybe did you take on, in 1822, our way to pronounce the word turbine.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:10 PM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

DiscoWings.....Dude seriously, it's probably best if you just dont post anymore
Old 05-16-2013, 12:52 AM
warbirdfanatic

I say Tomato, you say Tom-are-toe lol!

This is what dialect is all about, for instance, us Brits say Aluminium like so, while our American cousins remove the I in Nium. We could go on about this all day!
And y'all know I'm correct as we wrote the Oxford dictionary
Old 05-16-2013, 02:58 AM
Xairflyer

The one gets me is solder pronounced soder it is SOL-DER if you want to call it SOD-ER then spell it soder
Old 05-16-2013, 03:21 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: DiscoWings

Turbin:

Turbine:

Isn't it supposed to be called TURBINE as in the BINE part? Are the called BIN in Germany or Europe?
Old 05-16-2013, 03:28 AM
David Gladwin

Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts

Actually the above picture looks like an ENGINE to me, the turbine is invisible inside the ENGINE. (unless you look into the tailpipe !!)
Old 05-16-2013, 04:04 AM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: DiscoWings

Turbin:

Turbine:

Isn't it supposed to be called TURBINE as in the BINE part? Are the called BIN in Germany or Europe?
ROFL !!!
Old 05-16-2013, 04:04 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

When Jefferson bought Louisiana he really only wanted the rest of the territory but the French wanted to give away the Cajuns too.  But it has never really been part of the US, kind of like French Quebec not being part of Canada.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:10 AM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Happy now ? !! lol
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72616.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	1882395  
Old 05-16-2013, 04:28 AM
DiscoWings

ORIGINAL: rgburrill

When Jefferson bought Louisiana he really only wanted the rest of the territory but the French wanted to give away the Cajuns too. But it has never really been part of the US, kind of like French Quebec not being part of Canada.

Nice, just like all of Connecticut is a housing sub division and horse stable for New York, its not really a state

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.