Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Pics of the latest, heavy duty pipe from Fly Eagle Jets...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Pics of the latest, heavy duty pipe from Fly Eagle Jets...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 03:04 PM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pics of the latest, heavy duty pipe from Fly Eagle Jets...

Here are two pics of a friend's brand new heavy duty pipe from FEJ that he installed in his F-16 after 3 flights with a new turbine. He had it out at Markham Park today for all to see.

Talk amongst yourselves...

Beave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12955.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	1882506   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70272.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	1882507  
Old 05-16-2013, 03:18 PM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Pics of the latest, heavy duty pipe from Fly Eagle Jets...

I'm not shocked or surprised at the pipe at all. But I have to ask - how did this guy find out that a jet he wanted was even made by Fly Eagle if he hasn't also had the resources and opportunity to see all the exploded pipes and such plastered everywhere on the internet? Have guys in this position ever looked at all the online comments about the pipes from those ARF's? Or do guys buy their products from black and white print ads in the back of magazines? Then do they write a snail mail letters to the manufacturer asking for a catalog? And then do they send a self addressed stamped envelope with payment so they can be mailed back a receipt and letter confirming estimated shipment? I mean, who out there with the wherewithal to order and construct and fly some of these jets also doesn't have the eye time on threads complaining about all the pipe collapses? And then would figure it would be a low risk affair want to risk it?

Sorry for the rant. I'm not trying to single anyone out, but it seems like this is a constantly revolving set of posts these days but not a sealed fate affair - Using the cheap included pipes on these things seems like trying to justify using an idle crack pipe on the coffee table because we don't want to waste the resource of having to throw away a brand new shiny crack pipe with two factory supplied rocks ready to smoke. Don't smoke crack pipes in your jets!
Old 05-16-2013, 03:28 PM
dubd

Eddie, one of the main reasons why this continues to happen is that the FEJ reps say that there is nothing wrong with the planes. Search for the names of any rep on RCU and read their statements. It's ALWAYS favorable and never acknowledges an issue. If you ask about past issues they say things like, "those parts were made by a third party and we now make them in house, so the issues have been resolved."

I thought I was making a fairly educated decision on my purchase and now realize that everything I was being told was utter BS. Keep in mind this was during the last 2 years where we saw back to back FEJ pom pom threads.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:28 PM
Dr Honda

WOW... he's lucky the model is still in one piece.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:30 PM
bevar

Eddie,

It's an older jet and he upgraded turbines and contacted FEJ to upgrade the pipe.

They sent this to him and promised it was the latest thing they had and was designed for P200/Mammoth sized turbines.

Actually, the jet had been flying with a P200 and upgraded to a Mammoth and this is the new pipe they said was made for it.

3 flights was all it was good for.

Beave
Old 05-16-2013, 03:40 PM
PhilYabelli
Banned

ORIGINAL: dubd

Eddie, one of the main reasons why this continues to happen is that the FEJ reps say that there is nothing wrong with the planes. Search for the names of any rep on RCU and read their statements. It's ALWAYS favorable and never acknowledges an issue. If you ask about past issues they say things like, "those parts were made by a third party and we now make them in house, so the issues have been resolved."

I thought I was making a fairly educated decision on my purchase and now realize that everything I was being told was utter BS. Keep in mind this was during the last 2 years where we saw back to back FEJ pom pom threads.
But you won't even NAMEthe rep who sold you that F-14 and told you how perfect it was. Nobody will say anything. Because they are all "nice guys".
And all those pom pom threads are still here on RCU, and all those cheerleaders are still here.
How about Mr.DJ, who put up a thousand threads, all promoting FlyEagle, but it turns out he never actually flew one?

Old 05-16-2013, 03:47 PM
dsr71
My Feedback: (171)

Did they weld both ends of the outer pipe to the inner pipe ,seen one of fej pipes do this before and that was the reason, one end needs to float, the heat differences between the inner and outer pipe causes them to pull against each other and wrinkle up just like what you have there, i broke the welds loose on one end to see what would happen and most of the wrinkles came out ,pipe is junk anyway so try it and see ,if so then a refund or replacement is due i would think
Old 05-16-2013, 03:54 PM
Jetdktr
My Feedback: (21)

Found this in PGRC (in Maryland) newsletter:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=914377
Old 05-16-2013, 04:15 PM
Harley Condra

ORIGINAL: bevar

Eddie,

It's an older jet and he upgraded turbines and contacted FEJ to upgrade the pipe.

They sent this to him and promised it was the latest thing they had and was designed for P200/Mammoth sized turbines.

Actually, the jet had been flying with a P200 and upgraded to a Mammoth and this is the new pipe they said was made for it.

3 flights was all it was good for.

Beave
Boli,
How do you figure that going down from 52 lbs to 48 lbs is an upgrade???
These are the advertised thrust figures.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:19 PM
bevar

Harley, lighter weight and lower fuel burn I guess. Those were his words on "upgrade".

Boli
Old 05-16-2013, 04:25 PM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Jetdktr

This MR DJ guy it a trip to behold. Jimmie and I know just about every person in Md that flies Jets and no one and I mean I one has ever seen him fly a turbine powered plane that we know of. I did meet him at the Farview fliers field three years ago and he brought several FRJ models with not one of them in flyable condition. He did not fly anthing at the event and don't know if he ever has. Lots of beating of the chest and look at me videos but no flying. caveat emptor.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:29 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Holy Crap. Add that to the list of 30+ FEJ pipe failures..
Old 05-16-2013, 04:30 PM
PhilYabelli
Banned

ORIGINAL: Ron Stahl

ORIGINAL: Jetdktr

This MR DJ guy it a trip to behold. Jimmie and I know just about every person in Md that flies Jets and no one and I mean I one has ever seen him fly a turbine powered plane. I did meet him at the Farview fliers field three years ago with several FRJ models with not one of them in flyable condition. He did not fly anthing at the event and don't know if he ever has. Lots of beating of the chest and look at me videos but no flying. caveat emptor.

At least ten FEJplanes, and videos of him at the factory palling around with one of the managers(not the owner, again, FEJis owned by an American) and about a thousand posts promoting him, but no action by any moderators, nobody said anything at all about him until now, and he's not been called out for the rep that he really is, and nobody has pointed out he never flew a thing. So what is that?All those posts?What are they but advertisements for FEJ?And how many other silent reps are there here?
There seems to be a problem here, reps have been misrepresenting these planes here on RCU and everywhere else, and nobody wants to say anything. Everybody is a "nice guy" so it's all somehow the Chineses fault.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:37 PM
bevar

Guys,

I started this thread as a safety warning that the FEJ pipes appear to still be substandard in quality and construction.

There is no need to hijack the thread and launch into personal attacks ETC.

Thanks,

Beave
Old 05-16-2013, 04:37 PM
rcjets_63

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Same problem as Dantley's F-14. He didn't use the right screws.

Regards,

Jim
Old 05-16-2013, 04:49 PM
AndyAndrews

Here are two pics of a friend's brand new heavy duty pipe from FEJ that he installed in his F-16 after 3 flights with a new turbine. He had it out at Markham Park today for all to see.

Beave
Where is the rest of the pipe? Was this a bypass pipe? Don't see the double wall. Or if not no mounting tabs?
Old 05-16-2013, 05:03 PM
bevar

Andy,

It's double wall. Here is a different shot.

The interior wall failed behind the turbine (pipe inlet) and the outer wall failed at the other end (outlet).

Very interesting...

Beave

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

Beave
Where is the rest of the pipe? Was this a bypass pipe? Don't see the double wall. Or if not no mounting tabs?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97662.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	1882534  
Old 05-16-2013, 05:08 PM
AndyAndrews

Did it have a bellmouth?
Old 05-16-2013, 05:12 PM
bevar

I don't know. I saw it after the fact but can find out.

Beave
Old 05-16-2013, 05:15 PM
Jetmodeler

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good example of a thorough pre-flight check, that was close. I too am curious if that pipe was had the inner and outer tubes welded together at both ends as, from the photos, it doesn't appear to have seen any significent heat at all.
Jim
Old 05-16-2013, 05:19 PM
AndyAndrews

ORIGINAL: Jetmodeler

Good example of a thorough pre-flight check, that was close. I too am curious if that pipe was had the inner and outer tubes welded together at both ends as, from the photos, it doesn't appear to have seen any significent heat at all.
Jim
Yeah, something is definitely wrong with the design there. I've never seen a pipe accordion like that. Some serious pressures caused that thing to buckle and like you said it doesn't appear to be heat. I bet Tam would know what caused it but do bad he on vacation lol.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:20 PM
Eddie P

Guys I hear ya. It's frustrating to me to sit by and watch. I should have just kept my moth shut. I mean no disrespect to anyone who has lost a jet. I think the pipe failures have been a long time issue though, haven't they? What chaps me most however is when people leave the hobby or their motivation to stay in jets is ruined when they are put in these types of situations though bad product or product that was bad previously but is then promised to be "improved" and yet it is still unsatisfactory. I guess we are all test pilots with our wallets and our own personal liability so we need to choose very wisely.

At the end of the day anything can fail, but certain things have been trending more than others.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:21 PM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

New improved airflow with "turbulator crinkels" Scotty
Old 05-16-2013, 05:23 PM
bevar

Vortex Generators...LOL.

Beave

ORIGINAL: GSR

New improved airflow with ''turbulator crinkels'' Scotty
Old 05-16-2013, 05:26 PM
AndyAndrews

Vortex Generators...LOL.

Beave

ORIGINAL: GSR

New improved airflow with ''turbulator crinkels'' Scotty
New Honeycomb pipes lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.