Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Who has a 3D printer?...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Who has a 3D printer?...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 07:32 AM
warbirdfanatic
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Who has a 3D printer?...

Has anyone seen the new magnesium 3d printers that NASA were using? They're able to make fully enclosed boosters without having to machine parts independently to bolt together

It won't be long before it's a way of life, considering the 3D printed organs they're doing in the UK etc!
Old 05-24-2013, 08:17 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I foresee a day when RCU will have a special thread for people to share printer files of scale parts. That will be really cool.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:15 AM
GrayUK

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

I foresee a day when RCU will have a special thread for people to share printer files of scale parts. That will be really cool.
I agree, that day will come sooner than we may think.
This is great for sensible non fanatical people, the big issue as I see it, is abuse.
When you can email a file for a bomb mechanism or a credible gun?? Where does it end?
You suddenly do away with border controls!
You can effectively ‘beam’ a weapon to someone with the right machine type.
It has the possibility to change everything...no more shipping of parts worldwide...just order, pay and download the file to your printer.
Great you may say...true but what about the people employed in manufacturing, shipping, deliveries etc.?
No duty, no customs! The potential is far reaching.
I remember discussing this with universities 10 years ago, I know at that time the US and UK military were considering such systems. Why carry spare parts? Just a machine, raw material and download the file.
The Space station or deep space travel are other prime examples of use, all you need to carry is raw materials and have a machine with a library of spares....job done!.
Paul G
Old 05-24-2013, 10:21 AM
GrayUK

ORIGINAL: warbirdfanatic

Has anyone seen the new magnesium 3d printers that NASA were using? They're able to make fully enclosed boosters without having to machine parts independently to bolt together

It won't be long before it's a way of life, considering the 3D printed organs they're doing in the UK etc!
I was involved to some degree in the early stages of Airbus’s involvement with this technology.
They were looking at a 2 metre bed machine to sinter titanium, this would make UC legs and parts, the saving was dramatic. I am not sure where they got to on it as i moved to a different project.

Here is a company that (in my opinion) leads the world in DMS (Direct Metal Sintering).
Materials such as Titanium, aluminium, steel, Cobolt chrome...all possible.

[link=http://www.eos.info/additive_manufacturing/for_your_engineering]Try Here[/link]

Paul G