Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

I'd Like to propose an addendum to the safety code

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

I'd Like to propose an addendum to the safety code

Old 05-28-2013, 06:30 AM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I'd Like to propose an addendum to the safety code

ORIGINAL: warbird_1

As i rifle through the jet forums and see multiple problems with airframes and their failures i have to wonder how no one has been seriously injured or worst yet .. killed. I'm talking mostly about the spectators . I was at Joe Nall a few years ago when a well know pilot fireballed his turbine into the runway . Though in my opinion ,it wasn't his fault . but what bothered me was the fact that it happened in clear site of the AMA council while they were conducting a meeting while that plane was clearly breaking the 200 MPH mark set by AMA. that bothered me.. I like every other pipe jockey love to go fast but you have to ask , how fast is fast enough ? What i'm getting at is the fact that i see over and over , guys putting way to much power in some of these air frames. I would like to see a set of regulations that make a jet builder/flyer adhere to the manufacture recommended power plant for their air frame. I believe that being proactive rather than reactive is the best approach. As everyone knows, we are under a microscope as it is and one bad event could really hurt the whole modeling community . i would like to start and open and non-combative discussion on this topic . i'm in no means in favor of more rules and regulations and we have had a really good safety record and i'd like to see it stay that way . I'm not putting all jet flyers in the same mold,but the few percentage that put safety second are the ones i'm concerned about . The second concern is the quality of some of the ARF's being sold to us. The manufactures have little or no vested interest in our future as modelers. That is evident by the lack of quality which translates into lack of safety concerns. they are protected against legal action , we are not . i welcome ideas good and bad but let's keep in civil
-

I believe the most effective tool available is forums like RCU where good or bad information is disseminated world wide almost instantly. Our current AMA rules cover most of the unsafe flying that I have witnessed personally in the past few years.

High speed passes down the runway endangering other flyers and the pilot is the main safety hazard I have witnessed in recent years. Most club rules cover this problem but enforcement is lax. Also I don’t think we do enough to educate the casual spectator about the risk involved in attending a flying event, not just model jets but also large warbird events.

Our hobby can not afford the dollar costs of national rules that cover model plane construction and enforcement of this type of regulation. “Problem” exposure on RCU and other forums is the most cost effective regulation for our hobby.