Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Avanti XLL from Skymaster

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Avanti XLL from Skymaster

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 11:45 AM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It might be worth also drilling and fitting some very small screws to secure such a large canopy. 1hr with a countersink dremel bit and you can make a real neat job of it?

Last edited by schroedm; 11-06-2014 at 07:08 AM.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:10 AM
cassiemitch

Drilled 2 inch holes in both wheel wells .
At nearly 3/4 throttle the rear of canopy pulls in , if it wasn't strongly reglued it would come out .
I will add some spruce brace now so the canopy can't pull in again.
Jet flew nice with Cg at 300 mm .
Old 10-05-2014, 01:14 AM
cassiemitch

I belive a stronger glass needs to be offered with this jet .
Or a solid canopy with no glass in it , it is a sports jet .
My avanti has a 210 .
Wonder what happens with a 300 in it ?
Old 10-05-2014, 01:42 AM
number27

Maiden Takeoff

http://youtu.be/4hS9EqsAGww

Kingtech 210, Electron ER50's, Intairco wheels and brakes

more next weekend
Old 10-05-2014, 07:01 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

number, how are the electrons working out?
Old 10-05-2014, 11:20 AM
cassiemitch

The electrons work fantastic !
Old 10-05-2014, 11:38 AM
number27

The Avanti is cassiemitch's
i am technical support
but electrons are fantastic and reliable
I have er50's early version in euro but these Evo 50's latest version have bigger motors and do an outstanding job
Old 10-05-2014, 02:01 PM
FenderBean

Yeah I was going to go Bohetec since they have stronger motors but know the strust fit these I may just go that route. Can you retrofit the electronic brakes to the stock wheels? I really dont want to spend 200+ on new tires just for that.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:13 AM
In the Haze

Ok so how's it all going, seems quiet.

Just asking..................mine's on it's way...................

Last edited by In the Haze; 10-13-2014 at 04:18 AM.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:20 AM
FenderBean

I haven't heard anything about fin flutter, mine is done so it should ship this week.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:23 AM
In the Haze

Ok edited it then, rumour maybe........... tks.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:00 AM
FenderBean

Not saying it hasn't happened I haven't heard about here is all. I think other than the canopy issue its a straight forward jet. I will do like sebart suggested and cut some intake for air in the wheel whales if there is any issue with air. Oh and some people said there was now wood blocks in the control surfaces to glue the control horns into.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:02 AM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

Had SM check my serial number - mine has the wooden blocks which is handy. Should be RTF by end of October.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:36 PM
FenderBean

Yeah I should have mine ready around the same time as long as I can get the retracts I need, going electric.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:12 PM
MNModels

HI,

I would like to add some concern i have with recent Avanti XXL flights. I am sure Seba will support me. My understanding is that the Avanti XXL was designed for F3A or 3D flight. If you look at the thick wing section and thick trailing edges and the Seba trade mark rudder trailing edge - it is very clear that this jet WAS NOT DESIGN FoR SPEED. Yet some people install 30kg turbines in this airframe. I hope you do this - with only one intention - hover. If you fly this standard factory jet with 30kg full power it will brake up in air. If you need a jet to do 250+ miles you should consider a different jet.

Secondly - because of the size of this jet - you do not realize how quickly you build up energy. Even with a K210 turbine. There is a huge difference between a K180 anf k210 although the speed seems to be the same - and yes - the avanti XXL have a speed limit to drag pointed out above. So increasing power will not increase speed - but will increase the energy on fuselage causing me to be concerned.

So please take care when flying the Avanti XXL out of its design range. You can watch how Seba fly the Avanti XXL and carefull control on power is obvious.

Hope for many safe flying...

Rgds
Old 10-13-2014, 11:59 PM
number27

I see yr warning. have they been breaking up, what reports that they have ??? So if u power the jet with the specs listed on skymaster web page (no warnings ) and model breaks up due to poor design u r out of pocket s lot of money with no comeback on poor design.

have u put yr concerns to the designers ?????
Old 10-14-2014, 12:11 AM
cassiemitch

Does the normal person who buys an Avanti just fly normal cuircuits of the field when this jet is offered with thrust vectoring .
3D vector Nozzle set for 30kg $ 245.00 / order no.AV528L
Oh just found this skymaster sells a vector Nozzle for a 30kg turbine !
They advertise it will take up to a 30kg turbine .

You talk on here as you are warning people there is a problem ?
Do you know there is a big difference from a 210 to a 300 you beter tell the people with a 300 take it slow also ?
The jet is recommended for up to 30kg is it not , and parts are sold buy the manufacturer to make fitting this engine possible.
Do people really think they are buying this jet as a speed machine come on .
It is a slow lazy flying machine if you want fast go buy an F16 !
We all have seen seba fly but most of us cant fly like that including me , I do rolls and loops .
Your post seems like there is a warning being made and I do see you are an agent for skymaster .
"Please take care when when flying the Avanti" sounds like a warning to me ????
Old 10-14-2014, 12:25 AM
MNModels

Hi,

It is not needed to put it to designers. It was not designed to break the world speed record. This email was my concern. I think anybody with 30+ years experience will tell you to fly a jet at very high speed will require a total different mind set to designing. That is why models designed for speed cost much higher. Big turbine as flown by Seba and others - for thrust vectoring and hovering. Like they say ----with great power comes great responsibility....

Unfortunately we have no control over how a pilot flies. So yes - it is stated in manual and the warnings are clear - if you overpower this jet it is at your own risk. It can fly very well on 17kg turbine. I could not find anyplace in manual that recommends 30kg turbine.

I think the big issue here is not 30kg turbine. It is how you fly that 30kg turbine.....

Rgds

Last edited by MNModels; 10-14-2014 at 12:28 AM.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:27 AM
pilot tw

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi, all

the Seba Avanti is made by us.After countless 3D flight tests we found out there is flaw on locating pin of fin in some shipments.Please use small quantity fo carbon cloth to reinforce important key areas on fin and rear fuselage holding the pin. We urge all owners to check this structure. We will make this reinforcement for pending Avantis before shipment.

Final note - The use of larger turbines like 30kg at full throttle is for 3D and hovering only. Thank you

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	QQ圖片20141014153818.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	2040184   Click image for larger version

Name:	QQ圖片20141014153824.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	2040185   Click image for larger version

Name:	QQ圖片20141014153806.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	2040186  
Old 10-14-2014, 12:30 AM
pilot tw

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

and picture of improved for the rear fuse

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	6ddb9b65aa943d0.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	2040187  
Old 10-14-2014, 01:00 AM
number27

SO should not skymaster recall all the jets (how many have they sold) that they have sold as DEFECTIVE. Again using us buyers as guinea pigs to sort out design or assembly flaws. We as buyers pay very good money and expect items purchased to be flaw free. If they are not should we not then be able to return for warranty as we would do if our LG LED television was faulty. No apply this patch and it will be right. Skymaster have now admitted there is a problem. Has anyone out there had issues with this jet other that what has been listed before ie; no hard points.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:07 AM
BlueBus320
My Feedback: (57)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the addendum Anton. Number27, what manufacturer on this planet puts out a perfect product, & how do you interpret the issuance of an addendum as using the rc public as guinea pigs? Maybe I'm not understanding your post, but are you suggesting Skymaster should foot the bill for everyone to return their XXL's? For every addendum?

PS, you can go to BVM'S website & see all of the addendums for many of their models. IMO, you should be thankful for any manufacturer that shares the info reported, & if you want to see some good flight testing videos (single eng flight, wing failures) look through skymaster's F-14 thread

Last edited by BlueBus320; 10-14-2014 at 04:19 AM.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:51 AM
number27

I hear what you say BlueBus320.

In my post I have not mentioned anything about Skymaster footing the bill for the return. If I have can you please show me.

I would gladly pay freight back for an inferior product. WE PAY good money in GOOD faith for a GOOD product.

I may mis interrupt what you then say. That you would accept a defective product upon it being pointed out, recalled, found to be defective or an addendum issued.

Lets get to the point.

Skymaster should come out and say was their product defective?

Has Skymaster received reports of Avanti jet breaking apart?

If they have not, why then put out an addendum?

Post #290 MNModels is a Skymaster Rep and posts about Avanti may break apart if not flown within manual specifications and then pilotw (Anton) comes on and posts an addendum.

Sounds to me as though Skymaster has had reports of Avanti's breaking up and are not putting it out in a public domain but I may have misinterpreted his post.

We will await Skymaster's answer. They are the only ones who can give those answers.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:15 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by number27
I hear what you say BlueBus320.

In my post I have not mentioned anything about Skymaster footing the bill for the return. If I have can you please show me.

I would gladly pay freight back for an inferior product. WE PAY good money in GOOD faith for a GOOD product.

I may mis interrupt what you then say. That you would accept a defective product upon it being pointed out, recalled, found to be defective or an addendum issued.

Lets get to the point.

Skymaster should come out and say was their product defective?

Has Skymaster received reports of Avanti jet breaking apart?

If they have not, why then put out an addendum?

Post #290 MNModels is a Skymaster Rep and posts about Avanti may break apart if not flown within manual specifications and then pilotw (Anton) comes on and posts an addendum.

Sounds to me as though Skymaster has had reports of Avanti's breaking up and are not putting it out in a public domain but I may have misinterpreted his post.

We will await Skymaster's answer. They are the only ones who can give those answers.
Skymaster said that after MANY flights, they feel that a certain part of the aircraft doesn't hold up as well as they would like and that they are upgrading all future kits to improve this situation. They showed what the modification is and suggested that since it's a relatively simple upgrade, owners of current kits should make the upgrade as well. They said nothing about airplanes breaking apart or anything of the sort, that appears to be entirely your own spin on the situation. Personally, I appreciate that if they decide that a product improvement is in order, they pass that information on to customers so they can avoid future problems. As has been said before, no product is perfect but I'm glad that Skymaster appears to be making a sincere effort to make the Avanti XXL the best they possibly can.

As for MNModels post, that is simple common sense. EVERY airframe, including those that carry passengers, have design limits and if you exceed them you can be in big trouble. If you severely overpower an airframe, push it past it's limits or perform violent manuevers that it wasn't designed for then it WILL fail. That isn't the manufacturers fault but rather the operator not using common sense and stressing the airframe until it fails. What I read from MNModels post was that the use of extremely large turbines in the Avanti XXL is to provide vertical performance and for pullouts during hovering type maneuvers, NOT for extreme speed. His post seems like simple common sense to me. Your posts on the other hand make it appear that you have an axe to grind and are looking for an excuse to claim that Avantis are falling out of the sky. Which since I don't believe you even own one, based on your previous posts, I'm not sure why you are so worried about it. By the way, if you're wondering, no I don't own one either. I am simply a satisfied Skymaster customer that does own some of their other jets. As I said before, I think that providing information to their customers about product improvements is a very reassuring thing and makes me feel that they aren't hiding anything about product defects but are simply letting their customers know how to keep their jets flying for years to come.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:43 AM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

O.K.
I'll chime in here. I DO OWN an Avanti S AND an Avanti XXL. I bought the models knowing full well that they serve a specific purpose and are not designed to be entered in speed competitions.

I like Seba's style of flying - it is a style that I also fly ( although not anywhere near as good..lol ) hence the purchase of his design.
He is definitely putting it through some high g maneuvers and the extra reinforcement on and around the fin does not surprise me. I welcome the AD and thank Skymaster for being proactive. BTW this is not unusual...many kits that I have built including BVM and for example the CARF / Skygate Hawk had important ADs put out for early kits.
I continue to work on my own XXL and thank everyone including number27 for the comments, as it will make the Avanti XXL an even better model!
Just an FYI...mine will be Kingtech 210 powered, vectored thrust nozzle, gear converted to electric Down and Locked, Royal SRS iGyro controlled via Jeti DS16 with Xicoy interface telemetry.

Dean W.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.