Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Avanti XLL from Skymaster

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Avanti XLL from Skymaster

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 06:53 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

MNModels, thanks for posting that, I have understood since the release that this jet is not built for speed but for 3D type flying. I was going to state this in my build thread as well, that is the only reason I decided to get this jet was sue to the 3D and slower flying fun.
That being said I think if you put a turbine in this jet that fits the design specs it should be able to fly straight and level at full speed without coming apart. The reason I say this because like you stated the jet builds energy very fast and even a skilled pilot flying 3D could easily get into a bad place. The jets should be build around a very big envelope, so just to be clear this issue is from the part above and the mod should fix it? I dont need to fly something always worried my wings will fold up, SM has done the proper stress test making sure this jet can handle the G's with the designed turbine size?
I will be adding my own carbon to beef up the tail section due to the thrust vectoring. I have planed to do this from the get go, I always tend to beef up areas I feel need it. Anyway I am super excited to get back to building and this will be my 1st SM jet so I will be pointing out my impressions and any thing I find during the build. Woot cheers!
Old 10-24-2014, 08:10 AM
FenderBean

Does anyone know the brake disk diameter of the stock Avanti XXL brake drum itself?
Old 10-25-2014, 09:16 AM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry Fenderbean - my gear is currently at Down and Locked for conversion..
Question for our fellow Aussie XXL builder / flyers....how is the aircraft performing? Any suggestions, issues, concerns?

It is very quiet at the moment as I suspect most XXLs are still under construction.
My builder and I have come across a few areas that need to be addressed and I'll post them here in the next few days.
One thing that we discovered is that the wheel wells were NOT cutout in our kit. I would recommend this as the inlets are quite small for the larger engines. The open nose door will help on the ground. Some of the Avanti S guys were reporting suction problems until they left the nose gear open on ground runups. I know different airframes but a similar solution to questionable inlet sizing.
There were balsa blocks in the wings of our kit for the control horns. We are working on the tail this weekend and will report our finding.

Dean W.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:34 AM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dean, the wheel well opening was something Seba recommended to me a couple of weeks ago. At the same time he said he'd instruct Anton to make the changes so it probably won't be seen on kits for a while yet. Simple fix though.
I would be interested in seeing pics of how others have installed they're main and smoke tanks. That's my next job.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:15 AM
FenderBean

So they put balsa in the control surfaces for the control horns to be glued into? Hmmm well that needs to be fixed should be hardwood for sure. Im still waiting on mine it was done two weeks ago not sure what the hold up on delivery is.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:10 AM
schroedm

Fender, doesn't need to be hardwood at all. Balsa is fine. You just need the upper and lower skins tied together and something to glue the horn into. Glued properly you'll struggle to even rip the horn out with pliers.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:51 AM
FenderBean

I disagree, this a very large heavy jet that will be used for 3D flying. This is just my opinion, I have seen balsa get very soft and epoxy pull apart from the balsa from it getting very soft from flex. I will be using hardwood in mine for the control horn, I don't gamble with controls surfaces.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:08 PM
schroedm

No probs. Each to their own. Shame you're going to have to rip open your painted surfaces, pull out the balsa, refit hardwood, repair, prime and paint!

I've had a dozen or so 100-150cc Comp-ARF aerobats. All had hard balsa blocks. One model had a damaged wing replaced so on the old wing I tried to pull the horn out. I was physically unable to with pliers. The only thing I could do was apply huge twisting loads and all that did was snap the horn just above the surface.

These were phenolic horns, roughed up, push fit in a slot, thin cyano wicked in and a hysol fillet either side.

Last edited by schroedm; 10-25-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:15 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by schroedm
Fender, doesn't need to be hardwood at all. Balsa is fine. You just need the upper and lower skins tied together and something to glue the horn into. Glued properly you'll struggle to even rip the horn out with pliers.
+1
Old 10-25-2014, 12:38 PM
FenderBean

No probs. Each to their own. Shame you're going to have to rip open your painted surfaces, pull out the balsa, refit hardwood, repair, prime and paint!

I've had a dozen or so 100-150cc Comp-ARF aerobats. All had hard balsa blocks. One model had a damaged wing replaced so on the old wing I tried to pull the horn out. I was physically unable to with pliers. The only thing I could do was apply huge twisting loads and all that did was snap the horn just above the surface.

These were phenolic horns, roughed up, push fit in a slot, thin cyano wicked in and a hysol fillet either side.
Yeah I understand about getting the two surfaces together, plus it will give it a more rigid surface around the horn itself. As for the paint, If I can get the block in the way I would like it shouldnt even show unless you detach the surface. This may change once I actually get the thing on the table, I may just do like I did with my F-16 and use a painters sponge soaked in epoxy.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:15 AM
pilot tw

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

today , Avanti XXL in Taiwan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo2KV4a2bDk
Old 11-06-2014, 06:50 AM
Helijet

Very nice
Seems to handle the wind with ease.
Mine is progressing well. Down and Locked is sending back my gear, KT 210 has arrived and ALL hardpoints were in my May/June build.

Cheers
Dean W.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:17 AM
tucson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Dean,

Didn't I read on the Avanti S thread that you also had that Jet? I am wondering if so what you think of the way the S flys?

I have the S and am thinking of the XXL as my next jet purchase.

It appears from the videos to be a really nice flying bird.

Stan
Old 11-06-2014, 11:13 AM
FenderBean

I was wondering for those that have one of these, what length servo arms did you use on the Flaps. Elevators and Rudder? THanks
Old 11-06-2014, 11:21 AM
schroedm

I used the 1.5" JR metal arms all round. I'll choose which hole to use when I get round to programming it
Old 11-06-2014, 11:22 AM
schroedm

Originally Posted by Helijet
Very nice
Seems to handle the wind with ease.

Cheers
Dean W.
Agreed. Except someone needs to move their turbine to stop that awful whistling LOL
Old 11-06-2014, 12:49 PM
FenderBean

Thanks yeah I was going to get 1.5' as well, the servo arms I have are not long enough. Thanks
Any thoughts on how much Torq a gear door like these on the avanti needs?
Old 11-06-2014, 12:53 PM
schroedm

Gear door?? Nose door I assume? Not much. I'd probably fit anything that would work on a .40 size trainer. The door only weighs a couple ounces
Old 11-06-2014, 12:58 PM
FenderBean

Gear door?? Nose door I assume? Not much. I'd probably fit anything that would work on a .40 size trainer. The door only weighs a couple ounces
Yeah nose door, well didnt know what can of forces pull/push on the door when closed. So that works I will prob just you a good micro/mini servo.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:22 PM
Helijet

Hi Stan
Yes, I built the Avanti S this summer and its powered with a KT 140. I must admit that it took a few flights for me to warm up to the bird. What I did not realize is that it is a wolf in sheep's clothing. I had initially set all the control surfaces to the max and then set lots of expo. This is how I have done many of my jets in the past it it worked well. This was not the case on the Avanti!

On my first flight aileron and rudder were really sensitive and I was pulling way too much elevator. By the second flight I had dialed more expo but the Avanti would still snap at the top of a loop if I pulled too hard. Finally after some discussions with Kevin I set up 2 flight modes - the first being a slightly higher rate ( elevator and ailerons ) for take off and landings and the second rate being lower for general flight. The aircraft instantly transformed into the nicest sport jet I have ever flown ( and there have been many ! ). So lesson learned - fly this design like a pattern ship - as it was originally intended.

The XXL is simply the bigger sister and I plan on using the same control throw technique, though I do have thrust vectoring just for some added fun!

Cheers
Dean
Old 11-06-2014, 01:38 PM
tucson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Dean,

I did not have the snap problem as I used less throw's then recommended.

My problem is that I do not like the coverite covered wings. I Hate it.

Do you really have to wait 3 months for delivery on the XXL?

Regards,

Stan
Old 11-06-2014, 09:53 PM
Helijet

yes...in the hot Arizona sun I could see that as a problem. There can be a lengthy wait on products from China now. It all depends on when you order and if there is some stock that was spec'd.

Dean W.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:25 AM
FenderBean

Mine took just under 4 months to get, add a week or so for the paint scheme changes
Old 11-07-2014, 11:57 AM
FenderBean

hey guys did your Avanti xxl come with metal or plastic rod ends that connect to the carbon control horns?
My pushrod set has plastic ones
Old 11-07-2014, 09:48 PM
Helijet

Metal - but 2 short. Rather than wait we ordered a set from Dream Works to finish off the rudder.

Dean W.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.