Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Club bans Turbines on FUN FLY Only...Other days are ok

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Club bans Turbines on FUN FLY Only...Other days are ok

Old 06-07-2013, 04:00 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Club bans Turbines on FUN FLY Only...Other days are ok

There is just no love... so I had a local fun fly coming up tomorrow and the rules at the field have always been everything flies, in fact the website: www.batonrougerc.com still says everything flies...

Except that it DOESN'T[] for a fun fly turbines are not allowed, but they are allowed on any other day.

What the heck man, the reason given by the event coordinator is that the run way is rough (its a grass runway) so it may be hard on them, ok fair enough. However, shouldn't that be up the pilot to see if they want to take the chance.

Not happy about this as I generally like the peeps at the local flying club....[&o]
Old 06-07-2013, 04:27 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Club bans Turbines on FUN FLY Only...Other days are ok

Disco, the real reason is, they know turbines always steal the show. Wink.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:45 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Did a jet flyer fly like a dangerous idiot at the last event?

Had this happen at a fun-fly event I attended a couple of weeks ago.
I'm sure lots of the people attending were from other clubs who have to decide what to do with their events.
4 jet flyers impressed the crowd, one flew like an idiot with no regard for anyone's safety or club flying rules.

Only takes one

Jets at our next event? Nah... not after $h1t for brains frightened everyone at the last fly-in! [&o]

John.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:50 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Are you the only turbine flyer in the club?

Marty
Old 06-07-2013, 05:09 PM
Boomerang1

No, not actually a member at present although I was for quite a few years.

I joined that club because Sydney (pop 4 mil) had only 2 clubs (possibly 3) that allowed
turbines to be flown. This club became a bit of a mecca for turbines being the closest to
Sydney although a 2 hour drive away. Quite few members fly turbines including committee
members so it's 'jet friendly' at the moment.

I'm now flying at the only club in Sydney where turbines are regularly flown.

Most clubs view turbines as a (insert whatever reason you like) risk & take the easiest option
to accommodate them, the easiest being to NOT accommodate them at all.

The 'average joe' club member can neither afford a jet or understand them so that suits him just
fine, as long as his key fits the gate & he can bounce his 40 size trainer off the scenery he's happy.
With jets in his club he stands to gain nothing & thinks it may be a threat to his comfort zone.

- John.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:22 PM
DiscoWings

ORIGINAL: afterburner

Marty

Regularly yes, but there are other members that fly as well, the reasoning apparently is stop sop OTHER non members from flying jets... its really all fluff, Turbines will always be singled out.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:26 PM
Boomerang1

The 'average joe' club member can neither afford a jet
Have to correct myself there.

Many times I've seen guys buy an endless stream of rubbish ARF models which only last a few flights, cheap
engines, loads of foamies, gimmicky accessories etc.

With the money they have spent on this stuff they could have afforded a basic jet & engine.

John.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:00 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A subject along this line being discussed here also. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11530713/tm.htm
Old 06-07-2013, 07:42 PM
stevekott

That's no FUN!
Old 06-07-2013, 09:25 PM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

You dont wanna fly your turbine amongst all the old timers, gliders and foamies that dominate fun flies these days. Youll have a better response from a warbird fly.

its actually opposite here. People ask me to fly all the time. If I cant come they call me chicken. Im the only guy that really flies turbines in my town.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:13 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm building my first turbine now and all these post of turbines not being permitted to fly have me worried

i don't get why people think there so dangerous
Old 06-08-2013, 02:49 PM
Boomerang1

Are they dangerous? Take a look here: http://www.jetpilots.org/

On the red drop down link panel go to: members - safety centre - crash statistics.
Their link at the bottom of that page, with statistics, is not working at the moment.

A club I was in tried to have turbines banned because of noise (a noise report showed
what we knew already, that they were no noisier than 'normal' models in the air) and
the fire risks (the statistics showed that turbine models were less likely to cause a fire
than the detonating lipos used by the electric flyers in the club).

Interesting, all the problems were caused by the club secretary (a non turbine flyer).
After the members voted to continue turbine flying he went back to hiding under his rock.

The message: fly something better or different, you will be targeted regardless of the facts.

John.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:57 PM
wahoo
My Feedback: (59)

ORIGINAL: Boomerang1

Did a jet flyer fly like a dangerous idiot at the last event?

Had this happen at a fun-fly event I attended a couple of weeks ago.
I'm sure lots of the people attending were from other clubs who have to decide what to do with their events.
4 jet flyers impressed the crowd, one flew like an idiot with no regard for anyone's safety or club flying rules.

Only takes one

Jets at our next event? Nah... not after $h1t for brains frightened everyone at the last fly-in! [&o]

John.
Hey Johnny boy, I like yer style....punish everyone for the crimes of one individual... great idea !!!

Old 06-08-2013, 04:28 PM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: essyou35

You dont wanna fly your turbine amongst all the old timers, gliders and foamies that dominate fun flies these days. Youll have a better response from a warbird fly.

its actually opposite here. People ask me to fly all the time. If I cant come they call me chicken. Im the only guy that really flies turbines in my town.
Hey Boomer,

you need to move up to banana bending land, I get somewhat similar reception to essyou35. at our clubs annual airshow I was asked to keep the turbine fuelled up and ready to go at all times and I think I put in 4-5 flights throughout the day. Very few turbine drivers at our club an even less that actually fly them at the club. it's a little tight, and there are a few trees that faze some pilots but the right model and decent flying skills and it's not a major problem. When ever I go out with the turbine the field normally stops to watch the flight.

But I feel your pain. It only take one idiot to wreck it for everyone.....

Thanks

Dave
Old 06-08-2013, 04:38 PM
Boomerang1

Hey Johnny boy, I like yer style....punish everyone for the crimes of one individual... great idea !!!
Hey, wahoo, I think you misunderstood what I'm saying here.

I'm a jet flyer & one of the victims of the small minded people who want to ban jets.

Certainly NOT my style.

NOT what I'm saying at all! ..... but that's what non-jet flyers think after some hero lets rip with his jet without giving
a toss about what he's doing & how it will be interpreted.

Sure, if you want to go the rat with your jet or any other model for that matter that's fine, go for it on your own patch of dirt.

But, like it or not, when we fly jets at public fly-ins we WILL be judged by non-jet flyers & we WILL be punished for the crimes of
one individual.

I think we have to be seen to have safe, reliable models that can fit in with whatever the local club dudes are flying & not cause
anyone, in their own little comfort zones, any reason to worry. Jets are supposed to be cool, not scary. Start scaring the
establishment & the establishment will find a reason to get rid of us.

John.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:01 PM
pitts150hp

CLUBS ARE ALWAYS FIGHTING CANT THEY GET ALONG. .ALWAYS CRYING ABOUT SOMETHING . ALWAYS SOMEONE CHANGEING THE RULES OR POLITICS TO TRY TO BE NO ONE

THE BOARD MEMBERS OF A CLUB NEED TO TRY TO NOT BE GUESTS ON JERRY SPRINGER AND TRY TO HAVE FUN AND GET THE CLUBS TO GET ALONG AND PROMOTE MODELING FF RC UL OR RC CARS BOATS PLANES (JETS GIANT PATTERN PYLON SCALE ) THEY SHOULD ALL BE WELCOME

THIS IS WHY I DO NOT JOIN CLUBS I WOULD NOT JOIN AMA EXCEPT IN ORDER TO FLY MEETS -
Old 06-08-2013, 08:18 PM
stevekott

One of our local fields was getting sketchy on allowing turbines, especially during the summer months.

There were a lot of old timer guys on the board. Grumpy old dudes that weren't happy unless they were unhappy. We all know the type.

We had a couple jet guys step up and get elected to the board .... we are now Jet Friendly
Old 06-09-2013, 07:06 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: stevekott

One of our local fields was getting sketchy on allowing turbines, especially during the summer months.

There were a lot of old timer guys on the board. Grumpy old dudes that weren't happy unless they were unhappy. We all know the type.

We had a couple jet guys step up and get elected to the board .... we are now Jet Friendly
Steve's on the money here! We had a Geritol board for years. Anti turbine, anti Giant scale, anti 3D, in fact anything over a .91 four stroke got frowned upon.

Now the Prez is a Giant scale guy, the VP is a jet guy and we've recruited lots of fresh young faces for the board ( guys in their 40's& 50's LOL). Club is in growth mode again. Yes, the old guys still grumble but, from the sidelines now... about how " this is the death of the club" . Might be the death of the club as "they" know it but, the rest of us have new life

Old 06-09-2013, 02:23 PM
Art ARRO
My Feedback: (5)

Follow essyou 35's Post #10 on flying your expensive turbine jet with foamies, trainers and other prop models. You don't want to risk it unless the host club provides you with a dedicated flying slot to demo your jet-all you need is 10-12 minutes of free air time. Last year I attended a jet event that allowedprop models to fly and had to contend with1/3rd scale Cubs shooting touch-n-gos and foamie propjets hovering over the runway. One crashed in the pits from a bad hand launch, narrowly missing several scale jets. It's just not worth the risk and save your jet for another day.

Art ARRO
Old 06-09-2013, 07:54 PM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Problem is that when you have a fun fly you know what type of airplane is the predominate entry. 40 size trainers and 3d pine swingers. Jets and those just dont get along.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:22 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: GSR

Problem is that when you have a fun fly you know what type of airplane is the predominate entry. 40 size trainers and 3d pine swingers. Jets and those just dont get along.
Absolutely correct.. better to keep the fast and heavy planes away from the "normal" fun flys unless they have a scheduled time for flying with compatible aircraft, like warbirds, turboprops, etc.

No prob to fly with the 3D boys if you have a J10, for example.. just try to not suck a foamie while hovering!
Old 06-10-2013, 12:48 PM
Damo260

We are trying to get a jet event at our club it will the first one club has so we have been talking to the members as what the committee want us do first. Now because of a few idiot has wreck it for everyone[:@]. So if we get this jet event we will be judged by non-jet flyers & we will be punished for the crimes of few individual[:@].

Damo
Old 06-10-2013, 01:07 PM
txshan130
My Feedback: (114)

They are extremely dangerous if not used properly!!!

ORIGINAL: mikes68charger

I'm building my first turbine now and all these post of turbines not being permitted to fly have me worried

Old 06-10-2013, 06:52 PM
DiscoWings

ORIGINAL: txshan130

They are extremely dangerous if not used properly!!!

ORIGINAL: mikes68charger

The same can be said about your car/truck, will be willing to bet these have cased more deaths than anything RC.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:56 PM
Rush!

+1

Turbines just dont go well with Prop planes and helis... save the jets for a day when they can fly without running into one of them...
We have a difficult time flying turbines whenever the prop planes come out... I ended up flying high just to keep away from them as they were all over the runway.... If you have a turbine time slot that would be good but otherwise, stay down and dont risk the turbines

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.