RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jetmach floating on landing

Old 07-06-2013, 01:37 PM
David Gladwin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Jetmach floating on landing

IE.. in a full size aircraft.. if you change speed / power etc... your elevator position will change to achieve straight and level for example. Trimming in a full size aircraft does not change the elevator positon, it simply releives the pressure required to hold the elevator in that position.

Maybe true on a simple aeroplane with manual controls with a trim tab on the elevator BUT not true on Boeings and several other heavy jets (with trimmable stabs.) I have flown.

When trimming in pitch , achieved by altering the stab. angle the elevator is progressively returned to neutral and the stick position therefore returns to central !!

Well that's what Mr Boeing taught me in Seattle, honest,(!) and seemed to work during my 20 years on various Boeings (plus years on Canberras, Valiants, Victors and VC10s all with trimmable stabs and trailing elevators ) !

But most model jets don't have adjustable stabs. so I don't understand why you guys don't use flight modes ( so that when the aircraft configuration is changed, eg flap setting) the aircraft remains EXACTLY in trim because of the trim memorized for each flight mode, flap setting. It makes life SO easy.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:03 PM
GrayUK

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Jetmach floating on landing

Quote:
ORIGINAL: David Gladwin

I don't understand why you guys don't use flight modes ( so that when the aircraft configuration is changed, eg flap setting) the aircraft remains EXACTLY in trim because of the trim memorized for each flight mode, flap setting. It makes life SO easy.
David
I agree, but i do the same with mixes, no trim change when flaps, or crow is deployed.
Works perfectly.

Paul G

Search this Thread