Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

US Insignia Quick Reference

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

US Insignia Quick Reference

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 08:51 AM
Chris Smith
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default US Insignia Quick Reference

Once a year I try to post info on how the US insignia should look. Seems July 4th week is appropriate for the red, white, and blue. This is for builders who need to make or paint their own insignia.

There is a correct way to draw them, and you will see we get it wrong most often. Only an issue for those who care about such details.
ARF maunufacturers rarely get the marking right. One or two high end suppliers do, but most don't so maybe this will help. (holding breath)[&:]

Copy paste, or try printing the pdf attachment at the bottom. This is one sheet. Challenge yourself and friends to see if your jet has it right. You don't need a dial caliper or ruler really.

For much more detail you can check my sticky thread over in the warbirds forum:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7824449/tm.htm

Cheers,
Chris

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92900.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	1897272  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ge94171.pdf (25.4 KB, 29 views)
Old 07-03-2013, 09:24 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: US Insignia Quick Reference

Sorry for the dumb question, but does this mean the center of the blue circle is in the center of the red bar (the amount of the blue circle on the top and the bottom is equal I mean)?

Thanks for posting,
Old 07-03-2013, 09:31 AM
mitchilito
My Feedback: (7)

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

It can't be equal because of the geometry of the star. In order for the star to be centered there's more blue circle on the bottom than top.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:53 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Isn't point 1 the center of the star AND the center of the circle? (the star is in the center of the blue circle, the points of the star are all equidistant to the edge of the circle)

The question is where is point 1 in relation to the bars? Is it in line with the bottom of the red bar?

EDIT Ok I think I got it, it is note 7 that makes it work, got it. Great resource
Old 07-03-2013, 11:18 AM
Chris Smith
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt,
Not a dumb question at all. Most folks wouldn't notice.

This graphic may help confirm the answer. The centerline of the red bar (which is center of the bars) is not on the centerline or center point of the star. Which means it is not on the centerpoint of the circle either, since the star center point is also circle center point.

Since the top of the bars (without blue surround portion) line up with the star shoulders...and the bars are 1/2 star radius wide, the bars end up slightly higher on the circle per the diagram.
Centering the bars on the circle is an often made mistake.

Note the graphic below is without any surround around the bars or star. 15th airforce in 1943 used this before the surround was ordered.
Chris
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33944.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	1897297