Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fouga CM.170 Magister - some scale detail

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fouga CM.170 Magister - some scale detail

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 12:30 PM
Quandry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fouga CM.170 Magister - some scale detail

Yesterday Ihappened to wander in to the courtyard of one of the Dublin City Museums and I came face to face with a Fouga Magister on display. I was aware that the Irish airforce had Magisters and although I had found the design to be quite dated over the years, I began some light reading on the plane and it seems to be full of character and history for many countries. While Ihad to stand back outside of a cordon I was able to snap away a few photos at leisure. I thought these might be useful to someone looking for a somewhat unique scale scheme. It seems that this plane was at one time part of the Irish Air corps aerobatic team - the Silver Swallows. There is quite interesting reading on the team here:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Swallows AND http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com...sh-Perspective

I also found this interesting pictorial and walkthrough that gives further details of internal controls and flight characteristics etc:http://www.eaa1000.av.org/pix/fouga/fouga.htm

There also seems to be a few other scheme choices as many countries used the Fouga in operation, some for active service and others for display teams (Belgian Red Devils). A lot of this background can be found at this page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fouga_CM.170_Magister

The aspects Ifind most interesting about the Magister are:
* the V tail - kind of a rare design, it gives the Magister a very graceful look when on a shallow banking dive.
* the plane has a periscope - I thought only submarines had those!
* the Fouga has a small (fixed) tail wheel that is only used in the case that the pilot pulls back too hard when rotating!
* there is no ejector seat, the pilot 'hooks on' to a rail in the plane so that if he has to jump out, the static line will pull the rip chord and deploy the chute. Something to remember when disembarking from the plane after landing!
* there is a place in France where you can get a tourist flight in a Magister!
* Magisters at one time were popular for use by display teams so running a smoke system could be considered a scale add on.

There are many more interesting facts available online and in numerous publications but for now I will leave you with some photos of aircraft 216, one of the six Irish Fouga CM.170 Magisters....

Out of interest, has anyone seen a model Fouga Magister in the Irish Air Corps colour scheme?

Old 07-05-2013, 01:05 PM
Quandry

Default RE: Fouga CM.170 Magister - some scale detail

I found a short but interesting Youtube clip on them also:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pUaw802Hc8
Old 07-05-2013, 06:22 PM
never-enuff
My Feedback: (11)

Very nice. I'm picking one of these up next month. I can't wait to get it in the air.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:21 AM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice photos. There is a relatively new book out about the history of Fougas in Irish service. Some nice photos and drawings in the book.

http://www.amazon.com/Fouga-Magister.../dp/0956262414
Old 07-06-2013, 09:46 AM
Quandry

Thanks Sean, I found out that the Fouga was at the Museum ready to be used for presentation and a speech - one of the invitees was the author of the book you mention. Unfortunately I wasn't able to attend as I am away on a family vacation. It would have been great to be there. It's a shame that in Ireland there's not more celebration of the flying heritage as I think there's some quite interesting history there for such a small country.

cheers,
Geoff Grice

Fouga Magister - Special talks at Collins Barracks Museum on Saturday 6th July

Special Talks- The Fouga Magister in Irish Air Corps Service.
The Fouga Magister became famous as the mount for the Silver Swallows Aerobatic Display Team that thrilled crowds at home and abroad for many years. A series of talks to celebrate the aircraft will be given by Brigadier General Paul Fry, General Officer Commanding the Irish Air Corps, Comdt ret'd John Mulvanny, former team leader of the Silver Swallows and Joe Maxwell, author on Saturday 6th July at the National Museum, Collins Barracks. The talks will commence at 2.30pm and admission is free but advance booking is essential. If you wish to attend you must book a place by contacting the museum via email to [email protected]
Old 07-06-2013, 10:01 AM
Quandry

ORIGINAL: never-enuff

Very nice. I'm picking one of these up next month. I can't wait to get it in the air.
Cool! what kit and spec are you building?

Old 07-10-2013, 08:13 PM
never-enuff
My Feedback: (11)

Sorry for the late post. It's an AviationDesign. It's already built and is a 1/4 scale.